• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can you run Windows 11?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, I freaked out a bit after reading this thread and pulled the trigger on a TPM module for my Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Mobo. All of my PC parts are from 2016 (6700k) with the exception of my 2080. Today I boot up my PC and there is an update. I opted into the windows preview with auto HDR about 3 months ago. To my surprise I am now running windows 11 without having any sort of TPM whatsoever. I'm actually glad I have the part coming because I don't know how long I'm going to be able to run it before windows realizes I don't have it but I think it is odd that I am running it now. So far it looks and runs great!

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
So, I freaked out a bit after reading this thread and pulled the trigger on a TPM module for my Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Mobo. All of my PC parts are from 2016 (6700k) with the exception of my 2080. Today I boot up my PC and there is an update. I opted into the windows preview with auto HDR about 3 months ago. To my surprise I am now running windows 11 without having any sort of TPM whatsoever. I'm actually glad I have the part coming because I don't know how long I'm going to be able to run it before windows realizes I don't have it but I think it is odd that I am running it now. So far it looks and runs great!

The Windows 11 Preview builds don't have hard floor restrictions applied. Only the General Availability (GA) releases will have it.

-----------------

By the way, just quoting my post in case you missed it in the last page:

With these minimum system requirements in mind, the PC Health Check app was intended to help people check if their current Windows 10 PC could upgrade to Windows 11. Based on the feedback so far, we acknowledge that it was not fully prepared to share the level of detail or accuracy you expected from us on why a Windows 10 PC doesn't meet upgrade requirements. We are temporarily removing the app so that our teams can address the feedback. We will get it back online in preparation for general availability this fall.

Blog post from Microsoft is now up.

MRORANGE Please add to OP.

blogs.windows.com

Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements

Windows Insiders, Today we’re releasing our first Insider build for Windows 11, and we’re looking forward to the insight that comes from you installing and using on a variety of your PCs. Last week’s

----------------

Particularly the following quote:

Is it possible that some of the unsupported CPUs (Intel 7th generation CPUs and AMD Ryzen 1st gen) don't have the features that are in bold?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the chance of MS dropping the TPM requirement in the future?
Officially? I'd say probably low.

Someone figuring out a workaround? Probably high, especially if it's as easy as it is for the beta (literally adding a "Skip TPM Check" registry key via command prompt before installing). How Microsoft reacts to unofficial workarounds though, I'm not sure.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Windows 11 Preview builds don't have hard floor restrictions applied. Only the General Availability (GA) releases will have it.

-----------------

By the way, just quoting my post in case you missed it in the last page:

I just saw this and I guess your posts came in while I was typing mine up. Good stuff, ty for the info!

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, then you need TPM enabled. I guess it doesn't check for CPU generations.
This after Microsoft themselves said in the blog post that TPM isn't required for the insider builds...

In support of the Windows 11 system requirements, we've set the bar for previewing in our Windows Insider Program to match the minimum system requirements for Windows 11, with the exception for TPM 2.0 and CPU family/model.

They really need to actually talk to their different teams and get the actual requirements together, fact check them and then talk about them, because this has just been a confusing mess from the beginning up to now.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Oh, then you need TPM enabled. I guess it doesn't check for CPU generations.

Nil.
Officially? I'd say probably low.

Someone figuring out a workaround? Probably high, especially if it's as easy as it is for the beta (literally adding a "Skip TPM Check" registry key via command prompt before installing). How Microsoft reacts to unofficial workarounds though, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably hold out for now and see where things go later this year.

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
Need to boot into BIOS to enable TPM but my SSD is so fast my wireless keyboard can't connect quickly enough to do it...

I don't own any other keyboards and don't feel like buying a wired one just for this.

I am big dumb. Any way around this?

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly PTT store TPM keys on the BIOS, but since my system has two BIOSes, I wonder if that'll cause an issue if it changes over.

Need to boot into BIOS to enable TPM but my SSD is so fast my wireless keyboard can't connect quickly enough to do it...

I don't own any other keyboards and don't feel like buying a wired one just for this.

You may be able to do it through Windows, kinda.
How to enter UEFI Bios- Windows 10 : Vulcan Electronics

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
This after Microsoft themselves said in the blog post that TPM isn't required for the insider builds...

They really need to actually talk to their different teams and get the actual requirements together, fact check them and then talk about them, because this has just been a confusing mess from the beginning up to now.
Ahhh, whoops. Thanks for the clarification.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]

Try holding SHIFT while clicking restart.
Do Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Change UEFI.
It tends to shove you into your BIOS.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'll be honest, the path of least resistance is to just keep a $5 wired USB keyboard in the closet. I always recommend this to anyone with a custom PC.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
They were so desperately trying to force Win10 down everyone's throat. Just wait for the numbers not coming in and their stock holders will piss their pants. Next the EU consumer rights advocates and environmentalist will chase them regarding unjustifiable requirements with tons of e-waste ramifications.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Does your motherboard manufacturer have a "boot into BIOS" or similar application? I use an Asrock one any time I need to tinker, and I don't even need to jam on a keyboard key to do so.

asrock-restart-to-uefi-v1-main-window-screenshot.png

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Having had the green screen error earlier, I did a reset recover installation for Windows 10. After that, I did Windows update and it installed Win 11 fine.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
They did seem to open the door to gen 7. I'd be shocked if they kept the exclusion going.

It's also looking like they're looking at 6th gen as well, because they're letting systems with 6th gen into the Insider Previews and they removed the line stating that they were confident that 6th gen CPUs wouldn't meet their requirements.

I've got it running on my i7 6700HQ and I haven't had any issues so far.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Not much improvement in that new store they were excited about...
Error when trying to install Microsoft Flight Simulator
Code: 0x80073CF3

Such a cluster F lol. I swear. Search for Microsoft Flight Simulator on the store, and you'll get a nice "Page under construction" result. It doesn't even show up in my library in the store. When you do find it in the Xbox app, or via the splash pages in the store, it still won't install. smh

Oct 25, 2017
Not much improvement in that new store they were excited about...
Error when trying to install Microsoft Flight Simulator
Code: 0x80073CF3

Such a cluster F lol. I swear. Search for Microsoft Flight Simulator on the store, and you'll get a nice "Page under construction" result. It doesn't even show up in my library in the store. When you do find it in the Xbox app, or via the splash pages in the store, it still won't install. smh
It's beta software for a reason

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this is a sign that they've come to their senses, will open up support and drop some of these dumb restrictions. Or they could just stay the course, and Windows 11 will go down as a huge flop.

I wouldn't expect the hardware requirements and supported CPUs to change much beyond some additional CPUs being added. They're going to continue to support Windows 10 until 2025 so they're going to draw that line that if you want the update, you need one of the supported CPUs.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I wouldn't expect the hardware requirements and supported CPUs to change much beyond some additional CPUs being added. They're going to continue to support Windows 10 until 2025 so they're going to draw that line that if you want the update, you need one of the supported CPUs.
Then they are going to get around 55% of their userbase. So, flop it is, then. 🤷‍♂️

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

The lowest I could realistically see them going is 6th gen Intel, but more then likely, it'll be 7th gen Intel/1st gen Ryzen. I can't see them adding anything 5th gen or earlier, or anything pre-Ryzen.

If they don't let 6th gen Intel CPUs in, I'm going to look into replacing my laptop next year.

By that point in time, the ThinkPad P52's (8th gen Intel) and possibly P53's (9th gen Intel) will be filtering into the refurbished market.

If I can snag one of those for $600-$800, I'll be golden for a few years.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Blog post from Microsoft is now up.

MRORANGE Please add to OP.

blogs.windows.com

Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements

Windows Insiders, Today we’re releasing our first Insider build for Windows 11, and we’re looking forward to the insight that comes from you installing and using on a variety of your PCs. Last week’s

----------------

Particularly the following quote:

Is it possible that some of the unsupported CPUs (Intel 7th generation CPUs and AMD Ryzen 1st gen) don't have the features that are in bold?
Oh, that's interesting. Just from following their links and googling the mentioned features, Intel did rather recently include VBS features - specifically MBEC - in silicon... on 7th gen. Perhaps that's why their confident they won't extend support to 6th gen.

AMD was harder to crack. The feature mentioned in the post linked in the blog (GMET) was actually just added in Zen 3. But through some digging, it seems they did silently add MBEC to Zen 2.

A quick aside, though; the blog post is written as if Zen+ doesn't exist. That would be fine; it can generally be treated as a more efficient Zen in terms of feature support. But the official CPU list only includes Zen+, not Zen. At this point I'm wondering if including Zen+ was a legitimate mistake.

It should be noted that they claim hardware support for these features merely makes them more efficient, cutting down on power and performance hits, and indeed the enterprise space has used these concepts before MBEC existed. The blog posts seems to indicate the difference may be pretty measurable, but it's hard to say; perhaps it's just infeasible to support both a version that uses MBEC and a version that doesn't. I wonder if they've actually enabled HVCI (the OS feature that uses MBEC) on all Windows 11 machines or not; perhaps they're allowing it to be disabled in the Insider builds just to get more testing data, but will remove the option upon release. That actually sounds like a decent reason not to officially support Windows 11 on these older CPUs despite allowing it to run on them for now.

As for whether to expect changes to CPU requirements in the final build, I'd say it seems likely. I genuinely can't imagine the AMD line will stay where it is; based on the VBS requirements either it'll go up to Zen 2 or down to Zen. There's good reason to hope Kaby Lake will be supported on Intel's side, but I'd say Skylake isn't likely; I think that sentence was removed just because it wasn't 100%, and they've realized they should limit the number of uncertainties they're putting out.

I don't know why they're not committed to supporting Kaby Lake already. Perhaps it has to do with the new driver model they mentioned, and perhaps that's related to the Zen/Zen+ divide as well. But that's impossible to find info on.
The official release in the fall will require it, but your CPU itself is unsupported and will officially require falling back to Windows 10. It's unclear at this time whether you'll need to do a fresh install to downgrade, or if there'll be an easy unofficial workaround anyway.

If you didn't read the above section of my post, while they may extend support to 7th gen Intel CPUs, it's unlikely they'll go down to your 6th gen chip.

Look into the software for your MB if there is an option to restart to BIOS/UEFI.
Does your motherboard manufacturer have a "boot into BIOS" or similar application? I use an Asrock one any time I need to tinker, and I don't even need to jam on a keyboard key to do so.

asrock-restart-to-uefi-v1-main-window-screenshot.png
This is literally a native Windows 10 feature.

Settings>Update and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Troubleshooting>UEFI Boot

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest thing is the support of Win32 packages available in the store, which there aren't any available yet. You're still downloading the UWP version of MSFS and I wouldn't expect that to change for that game.
Haven't had any issues with other games. I did Forza Horizon 4 and Sea of Thieves just fine.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Oh, that's interesting. Just from following their links and googling the mentioned features, Intel did rather recently include VBS features - specifically MBEC - in silicon... on 7th gen. Perhaps that's why their confident they won't extend support to 6th gen.

AMD was harder to crack. The feature mentioned in the post linked in the blog (GMET) was actually just added in Zen 3. But through some digging, it seems they did silently add MBEC to Zen 2.

A quick aside, though; the blog post is written as if Zen+ doesn't exist. That would be fine; it can generally be treated as a more efficient Zen in terms of feature support. But the official CPU list only includes Zen+, not Zen. At this point I'm wondering if including Zen+ was a legitimate mistake.

It should be noted that they claim hardware support for these features merely makes them more efficient, cutting down on power and performance hits, and indeed the enterprise space has used these concepts before MBEC existed. The blog posts seems to indicate the difference may be pretty measurable, but it's hard to say; perhaps it's just infeasible to support both a version that uses MBEC and a version that doesn't. I wonder if they've actually enabled HVCI (the OS feature that uses MBEC) on all Windows 11 machines or not; perhaps they're allowing it to be disabled in the Insider builds just to get more testing data, but will remove the option upon release. That actually sounds like a decent reason not to officially support Windows 11 on these older CPUs despite allowing it to run on them for now.

As for whether to expect changes to CPU requirements in the final build, I'd say it seems likely. I genuinely can't imagine the AMD line will stay where it is; based on the VBS requirements either it'll go up to Zen 2 or down to Zen. There's good reason to hope Kaby Lake will be supported on Intel's side, but I'd say Skylake isn't likely; I think that sentence was removed just because it wasn't 100%, and they've realized they should limit the number of uncertainties they're putting out.

From my understanding, Skylake uses an emulated version of MBEC, and Kaby Lake was the first generation to have it built in.

From what I understand there's a performance hit with emulate MBEC.

I could see them going down to Skylake if they get enough feedback stating that the OS is running at a rate they deem acceptable on 6th gen CPUs.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
This has to be the most hilarious stuff I've seen in a while. So, let me recap lol.
I had Windows 10 Home installed. No problems.
I installed leaked Win 11 build. No problems.
I reverted back to Win 10 Home. No problems.
Insider build for Win 11 released, I rejoined Insider program, but couldn't install due to green screen crash error during installation.
I did a new clean Windows 10 Home install. Then was able to install the Insider Win 11 release. No problem.
Couldn't get Microsoft Flight Sim to install from Win 11 store or Win 11 Xbox app. All other games and apps installed and played fine; i.e. Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, and Sea of Thieves.
Did a complete wipe of ALL my data on ALL my drives.
Fresh clean in every way possible of Windows 10 Pro on my main ssd. 100% updated everything from OS to all apps that come pre-installed.
Partitioned off my other two ssd drives and NTFS formatted.
Linked same account as earlier for Windows Insider program. Now I'm getting message of not having the minimum required hardware for Windows 11 and my options for the Insider Program are limited to Release Preview Channel.

Can't make this shit up lol.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
This has to be the most hilarious stuff I've seen in a while. So, let me recap lol.
Insider build for Win 11 released, I rejoined Insider program, but couldn't install due to green screen crash error during installation.
I did a new clean Windows 10 Home install. Then was able to install the Insider Win 11 release. No problem.
Couldn't get Microsoft Flight Sim to install from Win 11 store or Win 11 Xbox app. All other games and apps installed and played fine; i.e. Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, and Sea of Thieves.
Fresh clean in every way possible of Windows 10 Pro on my main ssd. 100% updated everything from OS to all apps that come pre-installed.
Linked same account as earlier for Windows Insider program. Now I'm getting message of not having the minimum required hardware for Windows 11 and my options for the Insider Program are limited to Release Preview Channel.

It's a preview dev channel insider release. If you can't deal with instability and rough edges why are you installing it? Report the issue and wait for a fix or go back to Windows 10.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017

Welcome to Developer Insider Channel, what did you expect?

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazes me that every time there is some type of Alpha/beta/preview software released, people forget that it's Alpha/beta/preview software. Don't install pre-release software if you might feel emotional about issues that arise.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Oook. I got it all sorted. Win 11 Pro up and running and the dang flight sim is installing.

It's a preview dev channel insider release. If you can't deal with instability and rough edges why are you installing it? Report the issue and wait for a fix or go back to Windows 10.
I can deal with it just fine. Just reporting issues as they come in. I did report the issues I've had so far with the feedback hub. Doesn't mean I can't simply comment on it here. Geeze.

Welcome to Developer Insider Channel, what did you expect?
I didn't necessarily expect it to be all perfect. My post was meant to be basically what the replies have been. Posting my experience.

It's amazes me that every time there is some type of Alpha/beta/preview software released, people forget that it's Alpha/beta/preview software. Don't install pre-release software if you might feel emotional about issues that arise.
I've been doing this over 20 years. I'm fully aware of the problems. Doesn't mean I'm just happy about it and I won't post about the experiences.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Oook. I got it all sorted. Win 11 Pro up and running and the dang flight sim is installing.

I can deal with it just fine. Just reporting issues as they come in. I did report the issues I've had so far with the feedback hub. Doesn't mean I can't simply comment on it here. Geeze.

I didn't necessarily expect it to be all perfect. My post was meant to be basically what the replies have been. Posting my experience.

I've been doing this over 20 years. I'm fully aware of the problems. Doesn't mean I'm just happy about it and I won't post about the experiences.

yeah but except you are not detailing your experience so much as throwing your hands up and expecting a bug free release in an early dev channel. Your own response to another poster highlights this.

It's beta software for a reason

YOU!

That's not a good excuse.

Look I get it, I was an alpha ring preview for series x and the amount of bugs and issues I encountered meant I pulled out of the program until it was more stable. I went in with my eyes open and came out when I wasnt happy, maybe you should consider the same approach as well?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
yeah but except you are not detailing your experience so much as throwing your hands up and expecting a bug free release in an early dev channel. Your own response to another poster highlights this.

Look I get it, I was an alpha ring preview for series x and the amount of bugs and issues I encountered meant I pulled out of the program until it was more stable. I went in with my eyes open and came out when I wasnt happy, maybe you should consider the same approach as well?
I'm completely fine.