• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
The family thing feels like a cover. He knows his shady financial stuff is about to be heavily scrutinized.

I think you're right. Notwithstanding everything, Brown's still in a pretty good spot to win again. He wouldn't be dropping out unless he was really concerned about what increased scrutiny of his financial dealings would bring.

On the one hand, I don't want to see a party with a possible shot at government embrace anything to do with Trump. On the other hand, the CPC are going to be fighting against the spectre of Trump going into the next election, regardless of what happens. It would kind of make sense for them to embrace it, rather than tiptoe around it and hope no one makes the connection.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Fed-provincial negotiations over any Pharmacare program are going to be interesting.

The provinces will want to maintain control over health but they probably won't have the fiscal capacity to add to health coverage until the Baby Boomers die off.

UBC economics professor Kevin Milligan's had a couple threads about what the provinces are facing thanks to the Baby Boomers. New Brunswick looks doomed, B.C. is in a much better situation but it's probably going to take some significant tax increases.

Middle of the B.C. thread:
Context: BC needs +3% GDP in tax revenue/spending cuts. Our PST raises approx 3% of GDP. So, need to *double* PST for sustainability. Ouch.
And New Brunswick:
NB rate for HST is 15%; 10% provincial and 5% federal. That 10% provincial HST raises tax revenues of about 5% of GDP. So, to pay for health costs rising by 5% of GDP by 2033, NB would need to raise the combined HST rate by 10 points to 25% over next 15 years. Yes, 25%.

We really need taxes that specifically target boomers like capping the personal residence exemption and adding a tax/surtax to income from pension/RRSP/RRIF above a modest amount. They chose not to have enough kids and to keep their own taxes ultra low instead of saving for the obvious huge bump in healthcare costs their generation was going to cause, it's not fair for successive generations to have to almost entirely bear the tax burden for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
PBO put out their pharmacare costing late last year -- they estimate it'll cost around $20 billion(PDF warning).

The timing is interesting for all sorts of reasons -- not only is the provincial election a few months off, the budget is tomorrow, and this is going to overshadow anything that comes out of it, I imagine. For that matter, it'll overshadow next year's budget too, if the Liberal promise in 2019 is going to be national pharmacare (which was probably going to be an NDP promise too, but the Liberals doing it makes it seem much more imminent).

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
PBO put out their pharmacare costing late last year -- they estimate it'll cost around $20 billion(PDF warning).

The timing is interesting for all sorts of reasons -- not only is the provincial election a few months off, the budget is tomorrow, and this is going to overshadow anything that comes out of it, I imagine. For that matter, it'll overshadow next year's budget too, if the Liberal promise in 2019 is going to be national pharmacare (which was probably going to be an NDP promise too, but the Liberals doing it makes it seem much more imminent).

I'd rather have some limited form of Basic Income (ie. like Ontario's pilot project) than a pharmacare plan... but the pharmacare plan is probably an easier sell.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
lol oh my god what a shit show.

And it's stupid hilarious that he's the BEST candidate. Might as well have O'Leary come back and run for it.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
what the hell is going on today? Scheer is showing just how incompetent he is, Ontario Libs losing a sitting minister, banks funding school shootings in a round about way, and Brown is out again.... for now....

Good lord. Why couldnt things have been this exciting when I was doing my degree.... Stupid, stable, boring, terrible Harper... >:(

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'd rather have some limited form of Basic Income (ie. like Ontario's pilot project) than a pharmacare plan... but the pharmacare plan is probably an easier sell.

You aren't getting an Ontario-style basic income program for anything close to $20 billion/year.

It's 2010 data and Ontario's treating couples differently than individuals means there's a bit of a difference (but at least the phase-out rates are similar), but a $15,000 federal basic income with 50% phase-out rate would have cost $98 billion. For a basic income of that level you basically have to find a way to increase federal revenues by one-third; adding 15 points to the GST would just about do it.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
what the hell is going on today? Scheer is showing just how incompetent he is, Ontario Libs losing a sitting minister, banks funding school shootings in a round about way, and Brown is out again.... for now....

Good lord. Why couldnt things have been this exciting when I was doing my degree.... Stupid, stable, boring, terrible Harper... >:(
Oh yeah, Political Science students are having a field day with this compared to how boring things usually are.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't getting an Ontario-style basic income program for anything close to $20 billion/year.

It's 2010 data and Ontario's treating couples differently than individuals means there's a bit of a difference (but at least the phase-out rates are similar), but a $15,000 federal basic income with 50% phase-out rate would have cost $98 billion. For a basic income of that level you basically have to find a way to increase federal revenues by one-third; adding 15 points to the GST would just about do it.

Exactly why it's harder of a political sell. All of this money they're putting into other programs could've been allocated towards this end goal...

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Jagmeet Singh policies poached by the Federal Liberals checklist:

* Increase working income tax benefit - DONE
* Create National Pharmacare system - IN PROGRESS
* Decriminalize all drugs - TODO?

For a guy without a seat in the house of parliament he sure is getting a lot done simply by adopting policy positions.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Federal NDP, Liberals considering decriminalization of all drugs

Two of Canada's three major political parties are considering removing criminal penalties for the personal possession and use of all drugs – a step that health and drug policy experts say is critical in treating problematic substance use as a health issue.

At a national convention in Ottawa last weekend, the federal New Democratic party passed a resolution to end the criminalization of the personal possession of all drugs, a move in line with leader Jagmeet Singh's position that problematic drug use should be treated as a social-justice and health-care issue rather than a criminal matter.

Two of Canada's three major political parties are considering removing criminal penalties for the personal possession and use of all drugs – a step that health and drug policy experts say is critical in treating problematic substance use as a health issue.

At a national convention in Ottawa last weekend, the federal New Democratic party passed a resolution to end the criminalization of the personal possession of all drugs, a move in line with leader Jagmeet Singh's position that problematic drug use should be treated as a social-justice and health-care issue rather than a criminal matter.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
You think it's bad now, wait until Doug Ford is one of the most powerful people in Canada.
Please don't ever say that. Ever.

For a guy without a seat in the house of parliament he sure is getting a lot done simply by adopting policy positions.
He should start really going for the hard left/progressive/labour focused stuff, see what the Libs pick up. Even without an NDP government, those kinds of policies could be quite good even if Smilin' Justin is the guy implementing them

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Please don't ever say that. Ever.
I'd love to be this optimistic. But I think we all know deep inside our hearts it's going to happen. We just need to prepare ourselves because Ontario is going to become the laughing stock of the entire country, no... entire continent... scratch that, entire world in 4 months.

Last edited:

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd leave to be this optimistic. But I think we all know deep inside our hearts it's going to happen. We just need to prepare ourselves because Ontario is going to become the laughing stock of the entire country, no... entire continent... scratch that, entire world in 4 months.
I don't see him winning the party nomination, let alone winning an entire provincial election. Hopefully he'll scurry away when he loses to challenge Tory and lose there too when that election comes up. Optimistic, maybe. But it helps me stay sane

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
He should start really going for the hard left/progressive/labour focused stuff, see what the Libs pick up. Even without an NDP government, those kinds of policies could be quite good even if Smilin' Justin is the guy implementing them

Yeah sure there's plenty of value in the NDP in shifting the Overton Window and the Liberals resultantly implementing a bunch of good progressive policies. This is why Pearson's term yielded so much great stuff.

The problem is that you actually have to ensure that the Liberals implement their promises. The best way to do this is to have a minority, NDP supported government, like Pearson did.

A federal government source has told CBC News the council's mandate will be to "consult a wide range of stakeholders, provinces, territories, Indigenous groups and experts" and then provide the government with options on how to proceed with a national pharmacare program.

The advisory council has until 2019 to complete its job.

Didn't we just have a big exercise in developing policy by consulting with experts and the Liberals just rejected the experts' findings and it was a huge waste of everyone's time? Is this legit or pure politics? Are the Liberals going to pull the football away at the last minute again?

Federal NDP Health Critic Don Davies has called for national pharmacare. Davies said he's puzzled by the new appointment, saying it pre-empts the parliamentary health committee's work.

"We're putting the finishing touches on a report after hearing from 90 witnesses, a broad spectrum of stakeholders from across the country," Davies said. "It smacks of politics, not policy."

Don Davies previously put forward a private members bill calling for negotiations with the provinces on how to implement universal pharmacare and the Liberals and Conservatives voted it down, in part because the parliamentary health committee hadn't finished their report. lmao

Liberal MP Bill Casey, who chairs the parliamentary health committee, had said that while he leans toward supporting a pharmacare program, the committee has not yet finished its study on a national pharmacare program.

He said Davies' motion would have jumped too far ahead of that process.

"He wants us to go ahead with just part of the information," Casey said on October 5. "We have not finished the report. We have not drawn our conclusions. We have not reported back to the House … we are not ready to go ahead with this."

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure there's plenty of value in the NDP in shifting the Overton Window and the Liberals resultantly implementing a bunch of good progressive policies.

This, I feel, is entirely dependent on the party actually developing good ideas. The NDP wasted a lot of time with Mulcair, so this is a good opportunity for the NDP to finally find their feet again.

And this may be blasphemous, but Layton didn't develop a lot of good policies either. Very good at selling the party to the public though.

(I was a NDP supporter for years, but switched over to the Greens later on.)

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me, I once had a conversation with a "hardcore NDP supporter" who couldn't name a single policy Jack Layton proposed. I suspect that's even more true for Mulcair.

The NDP needs to pick a few super left-wing stances and just go hog wild.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
I think instead of running in the next mayoral race Ford might just decide to run for the Ontario PC nomination in Etobicoke North. He will have a better chance of winning that riding in June if he is nominated as the PC candidate for that riding then running for mayor again and wasting a bunch of money trying to beat Tory.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
EO1d2Om.jpg

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even begin with this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trump-trade-white-house-1.4552362

In short, Trump contradicts himself with a document he himself signed on Canada's supposed trade deficit...
It's classic Trump. We've known for a while now (especially post-Fire and Fury and Axios revelations of his news habits) that he has no real ideology besides "not Obama." His own lawyers don't trust that he won't perjure himself when interviewed; he just says and does whatever in the moment.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think instead of running in the next mayoral race Ford might just decide to run for the Ontario PC nomination in Etobicoke North. He will have a better chance of winning that riding in June if he is nominated as the PC candidate for that riding then running for mayor again and wasting a bunch of money trying to beat Tory.
If he isn't elected leader of the OPC there's no way in hell he'll run as an MPP. He's not interested in being in politics unless he's the one in charge or close to it. It's why he wasn't running for his own seat in the last Toronto election before his brother dropped out. His nephew was running for that seat and then he got bumped down to a school board trustee because of Rob getting sick and Doug stepping up to try to be Mayor.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
If he isn't elected leader of the OPC there's no way in hell he'll run as an MPP. He's not interested in being in politics unless he's the one in charge or close to it. It's why he wasn't running for his own seat in the last Toronto election before his brother dropped out. His nephew was running for that seat and then he got bumped down to a school board trustee because of Rob getting sick and Doug stepping up to try to be Mayor.
There's an opportunity cost involved this time. Why waste a ton of money and get destroyed this time in the mayoral race when he can run and attempt to win a somewhat safe liberal seat in the GTA. Even though he won't have much influence Ford at least has a better chance of winning Etobicoke North then running for mayor again and getting crushed most likely. He has connections to Etobicoke which will likely boost him in Etobicoke North if he decided to run in that riding in the upcoming provincial election.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There's an opportunity cost involved this time. Why waste a ton of money and get destroyed this time in the mayoral race when he can run and attempt to win a somewhat safe liberal seat in the GTA. Even though he won't have much influence Ford at least has a better chance of winning Etobicoke North then running for mayor again and getting crushed most likely. He has connections to Etobicoke which will likely boost him in Etobicoke North if he decided to run in that riding in the upcoming provincial election.
You actually think he'll want to be an MPP behind another OPC leader that will most likely become Premier of Ontario with no chance of him becoming Premier for at least a decade if at all? I don't see that happening.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Your assuming he wants to be in politics instead of in power. Back bench mps, and even provincial ministers arent getting the face time Ford would need to prop up his populist shitshow

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Happy budget day, everyone! I normally don't pay much attention, personally, but I had class this morning with a prof who's also a huge wonk, and her enthusiasm was infectious.

Pharmacare is an idea that the NDP -- and lots of others -- have been pushing for years, so Singh doesn't get credit for that.

The WITB expansion was in the Fall Economic Statement, which means that it passed through cabinet approvals months before Singh had even put out a policy paper.

As the story you links to says, the Liberal convention resolution on drug decriminalization is there because Nate Erskine-Smith has been working on it for more than a year, which means, if anything, that Singh took the idea from him.

Of course, under Mulcair the NDP barely even pretended to have policy positions, so I guess taking credit for what the government is doing is one step further than they went before... ;)

Don Davies previously put forward a private members bill calling for negotiations with the provinces on how to implement universal pharmacare and the Liberals and Conservatives voted it down, in part because the parliamentary health committee hadn't finished their report. lmao

...that seems reasonable? Why rush into doing something while they're halfway through studying the issue?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Pharmacare is an idea that the NDP -- and lots of others -- have been pushing for years, so Singh doesn't get credit for that.

The WITB expansion was in the Fall Economic Statement, which means that it passed through cabinet approvals months before Singh had even put out a policy paper.

As the story you links to says, the Liberal convention resolution on drug decriminalization is there because Nate Erskine-Smith has been working on it for more than a year, which means, if anything, that Singh took the idea from him.

WITB expansion was one of Singh's key policies in the leadership contest, and he proposed it in early June. The policy was created by Stephen Harper though, so fair to say that there's a consensus from everyone that it's a good idea.

You are correct that pharmacare has been raised as a good idea since Medicare was first implemented. It was part of the NDP party platform with Layton and Mulcair (though as you note, under Mulcair communication of his platform was so bad I doubt any Canadians actually knew this). The relevant point about pharmacare now though is that it is clear from the NDP's policy convention that it's very likely going to be a key plank of what the NDP offers to Canadians in 2019. Up until, um today probably, the Liberals in contrast did not support universal pharmacare, instead focusing on the idea of buying drugs in bulk to lower costs. In context of the upcoming 2019 election, I think it's very likely that the government's decision to suddenly pivot toward pharmacare is driven by a desire to eliminate a policy the NDP can use to differentiate themselves.

Similarly on drug decriminalization it is likely that it will be a key plank in the 2019 NDP platform, and due to that the Liberal convention item will get a much greater look. If the NDP were not ahead in adopting this it's possible that the item would be ignored and perhaps not even come up for debate. Now however it's another clear opportunity for the Liberals to eliminate a differentiator.

...that seems reasonable? Why rush into doing something while they're halfway through studying the issue?

It is reasonable. It is ironic though that the Liberal government is now basically doing exactly what Davies' proposal would have done, which is to undercut the work of the parliamentary health committee.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
There's really not a lot of spending room so I wouldn't expect much and if there are any big promises I would suspect they'll be pushed far into the future.

Edit: If you're as big of a poli nerd as me you can join me in watching and chat live on the discord. (I'll probably be in a meeting for a fair bit of it though)

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I still think dental care could be a plank. It's the biggest gap in health care and expensive for people who aren't lucky to be covered by insurance - particularly for seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.