• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The problem is that you're listing partisans on their take of the matter. The credibility of politicians policing other politicians is weak at best considering this opens up the opportunity for grand standing. Kinda like the Duffy affair. At the end of the day no one ever gets charged in these things so it's a lot of song and dance for nothing.

Now if people want to approach this through a partisan sense be my guest, but listing members of opposition parties salivating at the proposition of taking down Trudeau ruins the credibility of their arguments. Don't make me post Charlie Angus' twitter post again...

Duffy did get charged. Plus criminality is not the only level of wrongdoing.

And if you're looking for a non-partisan lens there's plenty of people out there, even if you decide to completely exclude newspaper columnists, who think there's something wrong here:

Of course we could get this out of the partisan realm if the government would just do the right thing call an independent inquiry instead of using their party's majority on the Justice Committee to stonewall.

And I don't see how Angus's Tweet about JWR being a poor Justice Minister is wrong. The impaired driving bill may as well have been a CPC private members bill, the Liberals haven't delivered on their promises of criminal justice reform or even rolling back mandatory minimum sentences. Though we all know this government hasn't delivered on a lot of promises, they still haven't rolled back the parts of C-51 they said they were going to.

While JWR doesn't appear to have been a good Justice Minister to me, it seems she did a good job with the Attorney General hat, at least in this case, of protecting prosecutorial independence.

Deleted member 12950

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Open and Transparent Government:

That's actually a very good point, and a very good distinction from the current Auditor General position since they don't have executory powers.

But the problem with it being an MP is that it can potentially have partisan interference as well. Kind of like how the Speaker 'theoretically' isn't a partisan role, but we've seen otherwise in the past.

Alternatively, it can be rolled into the judicial system -- similar to how the Supreme Court is appointed. But that might require a constitutional change as it directly affects how the Judicial branch is organized.

(And yes, they persisted. That part was... not great :( )

I suspect shifting things to the judiciary would run into similar issues as making the AG an Officer of Parliament - you're taking what's an executive function and foisting it upon another branch of government.

But I'm not sure there's a way to "fix" things to make it so we aren't reliant on political costs to police matters. At the end of the day, bad actors are going to act badly no matter what non-political safeguards you have in place.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that you're listing partisans on their take of the matter. The credibility of politicians policing other politicians is weak at best considering this opens up the opportunity for grand standing. Kinda like the Duffy affair. At the end of the day no one ever gets charged in these things so it's a lot of song and dance for nothing.

Now if people want to approach this through a partisan sense be my guest, but listing members of opposition parties salivating at the proposition of taking down Trudeau ruins the credibility of their arguments. Don't make me post Charlie Angus' twitter post again...

Let's not forget that Jane Philpott resigned from cabinet because she thought persons had not behaved appropriately and she couldn't condone cabinet actions. People across the political spectrum have criticized the actions of the PMO on this issue.

Also Wernick is "stepping down."

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Duffy did get charged. Plus criminality is not the only level of wrongdoing.

And if you're looking for a non-partisan lens there's plenty of people out there, even if you decide to completely exclude newspaper columnists, who think there's something wrong here:

Of course we could get this out of the partisan realm if the government would just do the right thing call an independent inquiry instead of using their party's majority on the Justice Committee to stonewall.

And I don't see how Angus's Tweet about JWR being a poor Justice Minister is wrong. The impaired driving bill may as well have been a CPC private members bill, the Liberals haven't delivered on their promises of criminal justice reform or even rolling back mandatory minimum sentences. Though we all know this government hasn't delivered on a lot of promises, they still haven't rolled back the parts of C-51 they said they were going to.

While JWR doesn't appear to have been a good Justice Minister to me, it seems she did a good job with the Attorney General hat, at least in this case, of protecting prosecutorial independence.

There's also plenty of non-partisan sources that question if anything at all was wrong. I'm pretty sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle as many people have been saying.

Inquiries take forever to adjudicate but if you want to drag this well into next term that will most likely not find any wrong doings be my guest.

Angus' tweet demonstrates how much of this is political theatre and lends credence to MacDonald's column:

Attacking someone's performance at one point and then reversing course because of political expediency is a bit disingenuous and ruins their credibility, they become an advocate rather than a fair judge of character.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget that Jane Philpott resigned from cabinet because she thought persons had not behaved appropriately and she couldn't condone cabinet actions. People across the political spectrum have criticized the actions of the PMO on this issue.

Also Wernick is "stepping down."

Jane Philpott stepping down doesn't convince me that this is the consensus within cabinet. I support her decision to step down. More power to her. She gets to make that call if she feels that way. But I don't think anyone cares minus the armchair intellectuals. There literally needs to be a parade of ministers resigning if something so obvious was wrong. Right now I don't get that impression from within the party.

I'd be more convince if the RCMP were to suddenly reveal that an investigation were underway. Or if there was a heavy consensus from academics that something terribly wrong happened. The only thing that moved the dial for me was when the OECD said they would take a look at this. That's it, that's probably the most damning indictment in all of this.

At the end of the day, when voting time comes around no one but the strident partisans will remember this. Harper lost not because of the Nigel Wright affair, but because we were talking about niqabs and snitch lines. This WILL be a debate question for Trudeau for sure, but there are equally questionable plays Scheer is making. And we have plenty of time for Singh to demonstrate why he shouldn't be in politics.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
There's also plenty of non-partisan sources that question if anything at all was wrong. I'm pretty sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle as many people have been saying.

Inquiries take forever to adjudicate but if you want to drag this well into next term that will most likely not find any wrong doings be my guest.

Angus' tweet demonstrates how much of this is political theatre and lends credence to MacDonald's column:

Attacking someone's performance at one point and then reversing course because of political expediency is a bit disingenuous and ruins their credibility, they become an advocate rather than a fair judge of character.

Mansbridge and Macdonald have seen enough partisan hackery through out their decades im journalism.

All opposition leaders are partisan hacks first

Never trust a Tory in sheep's clothing.

Atleast the Liberals are egalitarian partisan hacks who don't bow to any form of Nationlists like the CPC and NDP do.

NDP seesh.. Rename it Bloc Junior

https://www.ledevoir.com/politique/...ont-les-bienvenus-au-npd-assure-jagmeet-singh

"Nationalists are welcome in the NDP"
-Jagmeet Singh

You can't fool this bilingual

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Mansbridge and Macdonald have seen enough partisan hackery through out their decades im journalism.

All opposition leaders are partisan hacks first

Never trust a Tory in sheep's clothing.

Atleast the Liberals are egalitarian partisan hacks who don't bow to any form of Nationlists like the CPC and NDP do.

NDP seesh.. Rename it Bloc Junior

https://www.ledevoir.com/politique/...ont-les-bienvenus-au-npd-assure-jagmeet-singh

"Nationalists are welcome in the NDP"
-Jagmeet Singh

You can't fool this bilingual

Honestly, I'm so wary of MacDonald lately but if Mansbridge (and others) gave his endorsement then I was willing to give his one op ed a try. It was an interesting read but I don't think it presented anything new or something I didn't already suspected.

I've been so cynical lately ever since Ford was elected that I question any contributions from pundits.

Example, this op-ed hasn't aged very well.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/relax-doug-ford-will-be-fine/

OPINION
Relax, Doug Ford will be fine
Jen Gerson: Ford can be clumsy and ignorant, and it's unclear exactly how he'll slash Ontario's deficit. But how much worse is he than the status quo?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Example: LetHerSpeak.Ca, the website set up by the Conservatives (although you have to go right to the end of the page, and examine the shaded fine print, to find out who's behind it, which is sort of a tacit acknowledgement of opposition credibility).

The nominal purpose of the site is to help The Canadian People demand that Trudeau un-gag Wilson-Raybould, because, you know, she really hasn't had a chance to speak much. Coincidentally, the site gives voters a chance to disclose their names, email addresses and postal codes. If they haven't read the shaded fine print at the bottom, and don't know they're supplying data to Conservative election campaign managers, well, they should buy reading glasses.

"It's the new frontier of bullshit," says Moscrop.
lol

It's too bad we have no good parties in Canada. This is what the death of Democracy looks like.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Not politics related, but sometimes I'm proud of the people in my province:
Place 'dangerous' far-right group on terror list, Alberta Muslim council urges Ottawa (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...ealand-hate-xenophobia-islamophobia-1.5061869)
Should have been done years ago when the Liberals took over, to be honest. Certain people who like to travel the world to stir shit should have their passports revoked and be on a terrorist watchlist/no-fly list.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Alberta's election is going to be a preview of the Scheer hell the federal election will be.

In cabinet news: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-cabinet-shuffle-philpott-1.5060051
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has appointed Joyce Murray as Treasury Board president, filling the vacancy left by the abrupt resignation of Jane Philpott.

Murray, a Vancouver MP, is a former provincial cabinet minister and has been parliamentary secretary to the Treasury Board president for several years. Her appointment maintains the Trudeau cabinet's gender balance.

Murray, who also was named the new minister of Digital Government, is one of 34 Liberal MPs who survived the party's rout in the 2011 election.

Philpott quit cabinet at the beginning of the month, citing a loss of confidence in how the government has responded to the SNC-Lavalin affair. Former attorney general and justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould alleges she was inappropriately pressured to help the Quebec-based engineering firm secure a special legal agreement on charges of bribery and fraud.

This cabinet change — Trudeau's third in three months — was driven by a series of resignations, starting with former Treasury Board president Scott Brison, then Wilson-Raybould from her new posting at Veterans Affairs, then Philpott. Brison has retired from federal politics, while Philpott and Wilson-Raybould have expressed their intention to stay in the Liberal caucus despite leaving Trudeau's top team.
I've updated the OP to be more in line with the current cabinet and setting i.e. Singh now has a seat. Feel free to let me know if I should add in anything i.e. a section detailing Maxime Bernier's alt-right loons.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Alberta's election is going to be a preview of the Scheer hell the federal election will be.

To add to this shitstorm, Aryan Sadat posted a social media release of the resignation of Calgary North-East's constituency board. Matt Solberg and Rajan Sawhney have both denied it, and says that Sadat has no standing with the party... except that Sadat has supposedly been active with UCP organization for the past while.

https://twitter.com/Aryan_Sadat/status/1107820856112082944
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ucp-resignations-deny-1.5062076

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I can (sorta somewhat) understand how old folks can have racist views. They grew up in a different time, under a different class and educational system. How the Fuck are these young folks so racist growing up in a country like ours? Backwards ass Alabama style racism is one thing (in the states their education is significantly worse and there is still tons of basically segregation) but our country is supposed to be thriving on multiculturalism. Even those from rural areas should know better, but it's not limited to rural areas either. It boggles my mind and makes me regret the internet.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I can (sorta somewhat) understand how old folks can have racist views. They grew up in a different time, under a different class and educational system. How the Fuck are these young folks so racist growing up in a country like ours? Backwards ass Alabama style racism is one thing (in the states their education is significantly worse and there is still tons of basically segregation) but our country is supposed to be thriving on multiculturalism. Even those from rural areas should know better, but it's not limited to rural areas either. It boggles my mind and makes me regret the internet.

If America lives on the myth of meritocracy, Canada does the same on the myth of multiculturalism.

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017

Web 2.0, the social web, was a mistake.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Those old people pass those views down to their kids who pass it down to their kids and so on. Even better education can only undo prejudice that took seed before critical thought so well

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Those old people pass those views down to their kids who pass it down to their kids and so on. Even better education can only undo prejudice that took seed before critical thought so well

I mean, my grandparents were fairly racist, being old white immigrants. My parents were slightly racist (or should I say less racist, for the most part). Despite that, I turned out OK. If you were to graph it, the curve would go downward as the generations continued. I shouldn't be an aberration in this country. This same experience should be shared by these young folk who are clearly racist or even radicalized.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And thus begins the March to throne that is Jason Kennedy's reign. The Conservatives shall reclaim their crown. Here we shall mark the beginning of the end for this year's disappointing political losses beginning with the ANDP and endng with the LPC.

For it is time for a new age of Conservatism in this glorious country. The age of Conservative superblocks protected and enhanced by the realms of Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, New Brunswick and Manitoba.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
And thus begins the March to throne that is Jason Kennedy's reign. The Conservatives shall reclaim their crown. Here we shall mark the beginning of the end for this year's disappointing political losses beginning with the ANDP and endng with the LPC.

For it is time for a new age of Conservatism in this glorious country. The age of Conservative superblocks protected and enhanced by the realms of Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, New Brunswick and Manitoba.

*puke* :(

I'm hoping that the scandals surrounding the UCP will bring them down...

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, my grandparents were fairly racist, being old white immigrants. My parents were slightly racist (or should I say less racist, for the most part). Despite that, I turned out OK. If you were to graph it, the curve would go downward as the generations continued. I shouldn't be an aberration in this country. This same experience should be shared by these young folk who are clearly racist or even radicalized.
I would agree with this, and think it likely is the case, but there will be exceptions to the rule. And they are loud, and proud, and often very public with that exception

May 30, 2018
Can some economist/guy who knows what he's talking about weigh in on this home buying incentive?

Is it true that all that will happen is that home prices will rise up since more people can afford a home once this takes effect?

Idk economics, just from my perspective, it looks like a policy tailor made for someone like me who fits their criteria

I'll just be disappointed if house prices rise anyway.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
FFS, the home buying incentive starts in september and I have to leave my apartment before July 1st.
Oh well, at least I'll be allowed to withdraw 10,000$ more from my RRSP so there's that.

Oct 27, 2017
Can some economist/guy who knows what he's talking about weigh in on this home buying incentive?

Is it true that all that will happen is that home prices will rise up since more people can afford a home once this takes effect?

Idk economics, just from my perspective, it looks like a policy tailor made for someone like me who fits their criteria

I expect that home prices will simply rise to match the automatic contribution by the government. Not by 10% (since it won't apply to all purchases), but it will happen as it does in all areas where the government provides a subsidy. For a good example, see government-backed student loans in the US, which have increased tuition prices to match the guaranteed revenue.

It's a tough issue to solve, but the best thing long-term for Canada would be to allow home prices to continue to rise or fall as the market demands, and remove the ability of out-of-country buyers to purchase them (without living in them) as investments/money-stores. Then, invest in high-density rental units such as apartments. Detached home-ownership is not something that is good for society, and shouldn't be subsidized by the government.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa

I would say yes, it would increase the house price in average but not by much. The measure is not fully explained yet.

So far it basic a interest-free loan on 5% or 10% of the house value. HOWEVER, it may mean that the repayment will be 5-10% of the house value at resale which would be of mixed benefit. It's would reduce loss in case of a market downturn (and a loss to the government) but also remove a significant part of capital gain long term. That said, since most 1st home buyer will not stay in their first home forever, that greatly mitigate that tradeoff.

I would say it is would be good for people that are thinking of buying their first home in general. But probably not good in general for the market.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
The home buying incentive is not really going to help home buyers or lower prices. Giving this "free money" to buyers boosts demand, which accordingly results in higher property prices. The primary beneficiaries of this program are 1) existing land owners which are selling to more competing buyers and will get higher prices and 2) development companies and real estate agents.

Similarly Singh's 30 year mortgage amortization idea he recently suggested is a bad idea for the same reason. It boosts demand while doing nothing to create supply, thus resulting in increased prices.

This policy is designed to reinvigorate the real estate industry and stabilize house prices while making it appear as if millennials are getting a hand up. In reality millennials would be better off if this policy wasn't in place as prices are currently falling. It's most likely lobbying by the development/real estate industry that is scared about falling sales that convinced the Liberals to create this policy.

The other big issue here is the fact that now you have renters that will likely never be able to afford to buy a home whose tax dollars are going to subsidize the home purchases of wealthier people. It's a kick in the gut for them that's for sure.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
If America lives on the myth of meritocracy, Canada does the same on the myth of multiculturalism.

Have to agree with this. It was always Multiculturalism *

Native populations weren't really treated really well since the birth of the country. The Colton Boushie story also shows they are not equal justice wise. Linguistic minorities have been fighting since the very beginning too with Ford now crushing Francophones under his foot. QC is also more or less a story of resistance. Chinese railroad workers also worked in terrible conditions and were seen as inferior. Now the targets are the LGBT communities and muslim for the 21st century.

Just like working really hard will not always deliver the best outcome in the US, the different cultural background are clearly not seen as equal in the Great White North.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The home buying incentive is not really going to help home buyers or lower prices. Giving this "free money" to buyers boosts demand, which accordingly results in higher property prices. The primary beneficiaries of this program are 1) existing land owners which are selling to more competing buyers and will get higher prices and 2) development companies and real estate agents.

Why would they build homes when they can stuff more people into apartments and condos?

With telecommuting, they should just offer incentives for people to live in areas where there's cheap housing.

I'm loving the EV incentive. Shame the Model 3 is just above the cut off. Hope they take care of that.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone planning to make an Alberta election thread? If so, please link it to here.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Can we take a step back from the housing credit and talk about how lame that Job Retaining Program is. For what it claims to do, it's actually pretty useless.
  • $250/yr
  • $5000 Lifetime Maximum
  • Only covers half your costs when you go to use it
  • Allows you to pull from EI for 4 months
What moron came up with this. They literally somehow managed to do something that was just a micron above absolute minimum effort that they could go to the people and say "Look! We are doing something about this!". It is literally useless. Even if you saved it up for 20 years, $5000 would barely cover college tuition today. Let alone 20 years from now after inflation. Especially considering the fact that does anybody seriously believe that with the direction things are going, we are going to be keeping this stupid, flawed paid-for-post-secondary model beyond the next decade?

Quite frankly the only good thing about it is you can pull from EI for 4 months. But woop-de-fucking-do. That alone means you are disqualified from most Student Loan supports in most provinces. And now you'll be saddled with a shit-ton of debt afterwards. This not even to mention that if you didn't earn enough money to pay into EI, or if EI pays you too little, if you straight up don't qualify for other reasons, and the various other pit traps of EI. You are S.O.L.

So, who is this for?
  • It's not for the old people being pushed out of a job into early retirement. They have other things in the budget and in current supports to let them deal with early retirement, and will be well into actual retirement before it is useful.
  • It's not for young people 18-30 because you would have to wait until you were 28-50 to use the damn thing, and they already have better programs
  • It's not for adults 30-50, because again. It takes them 20 years to get a single year of education out of it. And the only reason they would use this is if they were literally being pushed out of their job. In which case, they likely already qualify for EI. And again. They have better programs for education
If anything, all I can think is that its a subsidy for businesses, because now they don't have to pay an extra $250/yr on training their employees, instead "asking" or "hinting to" them to go do x training course.

So I ask again? Who is this for?

This policy is rooted in wanting to help people out from the huge looming Automation crisis we are about to slam head first into with Self-Driving Cars, Full Automation of Menial Labour. It's an amazing, lofty goal. One that needs to be solved before we slam into the wall because otherwise we are looking at riots in the street levels of unemployment. And yet, this policy does nothing to help the very people whose jobs will be taken away from them. Especially since these people are going to be needing full 100% retraining, likely into a completely different field than they one they are currently in. And the program barely pays for 1. Condensed into four months of a multiple year-long training process.

Because of how useless and limited it is, nothing would be better than this. So I ask one final time? Who the fuck is this for?

Last edited:

Deleted member 12950

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The only good, substantive new stuff in the budget I see are the Indigenous items. In particular, the $800m (or whatever it is) for the clean water promise from the last election campaign should pretty much close the gap the PBO forecast in January of 2018.

Pretty much everything else I've glanced at seems like it isn't fully planned out or is at-best a half-measure, like killerrin was saying about the training program. I'm getting CPC boutique tax credit vibes for all the targeted constituents they want support from, but instead it's with little pockets of spending (on the immediate post-budget At Issue Althia Raj pointed out the training spending is marginally more than the EV credit spending).

Exactly this (the whole thing, not just the part I quoted).

I'm not even sure the federal government should be intervening in market-rate housing at all. All any of the parties
want to do just drives up demand for ownership.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The only good, substantive new stuff in the budget I see are the Indigenous items. In particular, the $800m (or whatever it is) for the clean water promise from the last election campaign should pretty much close the gap the PBO forecast in January of 2018.
Also this:

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hate everything and everyone a part of or even tangentially related to this inhumane farce of a government.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much everything else I've glanced at seems like it isn't fully planned out or is at-best a half-measure, like killerrin was saying about the training program. I'm getting CPC boutique tax credit vibes for all the targeted constituents they want support from, but instead it's with little pockets of spending (on the immediate post-budget At Issue Althia Raj pointed out the training spending is marginally more than the EV credit spending).

Yeah I'd agree that the increased funding for issues related to Indigenous reconciliation is one of the strongly positive parts of this budget and lol I also got CPC boutique tax credit vibes from the training program. I'm not sure what to make of that one yet. Maybe I need to see a good example of it in practice.

EV credit I guess is good though I somewhat feel that it's somewhat the wrong direction. It's free money to rich people that can afford to buy new cars. What about the working class that will never be able to take advantage of this program? I'd have rather seen some action to dramatically rebuild cities to make them so that they're not so automobile oriented in the first place. That's another way to decrease emissions.

I'm not even sure the federal government should be intervening in market-rate housing at all. All any of the parties
want to do just drives up demand for ownership.

What the Feds really should be doing is further moves to unlink housing from being a speculative investment. For example right now there's tax breaks on capital gains of secondary housing and no limit to the capital gains exemption on a primary home. All of this encourages people to buy homes (sometimes multiple homes) as an investment, which raises the prices of homes and makes it harder for people who simply want to buy a single home to have a stable place to live. I'd like to see the federal government start to take down some of these policies.

Another good thing in this budget is that the government is handing over a big chunk of the gas tax to cities. The weird thing though is that this is a one time lump sum. Handing over 1 cent of the gas tax to cities every year to create a dependable revenue stream was an old Layton promise that I always liked and thought was smart. I'm not sure why they wouldn't do that. Unfortunately it feels like the government transformed a good policy idea into a special election time goodie.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

We are a 3rd world, banana republic province.

Some people are truly too evil for this world. Fiends of the lowest order. After every single thing they have done. I can say unequivalently. It will be a cold day in hell before you ever catch me voting for a Conservative Party. And I can claim with absolute certainty that is the exact same for most members of my family and every single person in my group of friends.

You can see it in the polls. 80% of Millenials would never look at a Conservative Party. Our demographic, when we show up to vote, votes overwhelmingly NDP, Greens and Liberals. Gen-Z is going to be given a cold hard reminder exactly why the fuck you don't vote Conservative, and like the Millennial Demographic. They are going to remember and follow suit. At the end of the day, decades from now. These fuckers are going to be sitting there wondering "just where they went wrong" as their racist nutjob of a base slowly dies off of old age and is barely replaced by the few Millenials/Gen-Z they were able to indoctrinate.

Status
Not open for further replies.