Status
Not open for further replies.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017

MesH_Iversen

Oct 27, 2017
If we're shitting on Cineplex, I'm sick of showing up for a movie on time and the movie doesn't start for 20-25 minutes because of ads and trailers. Fuck off with this crap

OMFG I could not agree more, what happened to just the trailers than the movie. I didn't pay 20 dollars to watch 20 mins of fucking commercials before the trailer starts.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind trailers but I do mind that they do commercial in between the trailers

Heck I'm noticing with trailers they show a shorten version to allow for more commercials

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, now that my scene point acquisition with Scotiabank is kneecapped even further, what's the best bank and credit card (in terms of cash-back)? Tangerine looks tempting

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I forgot that Rogers/Fido increased their 10GB phone plan deals from $60 to $65.
Now I debate keeping it, dropping to 6GB for $60 again, or dropping to 4GB $50... (these both being with 500 min. talk, since I barely ever talk).

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I regularly use 8+ GB a month, so I'm pretty much stuck on the deal
Yeah. 4GB would be pushing it for me, and I could potentially get away with 6GB, but that extra buffer of 10GB is very nice... So it's ultimately a what do I want more, the data or the money...
It's funny as the $5/mo increase literally works out paying an extra month a year.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. 4GB would be pushing it for me, and I could potentially get away with 6GB, but that extra buffer of 10GB is very nice... So it's ultimately a what do I want more, the data or the money...
It's funny as the $5/mo increase literally works out paying an extra month a year.
True. Honestly though, the deal is still too good to be true even at $65. Prior to that deal, i was paying like $80 for 4GB. I'll still gladly stick with this

Last edited:

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking back, $65 is what I used to pay for 1GB when I really think about it...

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I hate assigned seating.

That's why I prefer VIP for the 3 times a year I go to the movies. $15 and you get a proper meal.

I don't think that's available here

If we're shitting on Cineplex, I'm sick of showing up for a movie on time and the movie doesn't start for 20-25 minutes because of ads and trailers. Fuck off with this crap

This has been happening for decades. Trailers are a part of the experience. Movies never start on time, it just depends how long their trailers and ads are. Some people go for those though.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been happening for decades. Trailers are a part of the experience. Movies never start on time, it just depends how long their trailers and ads are. Some people go for those though.
From my experience, it used to be that if you showed up early to get good seating, they would be running advertisements on the big screen. At the official "showtime" of the movie the lights would dim and the ads would stop (and this was also where they put the "turn off your phone" warnings, once they started doing those), and then they'd show a couple of trailers (maybe 10 minutes, tops) and then start the movie. If you showed up a bit late due to traffic or trouble parking, you'd have to find your seat in the dark, but hopefully all you missed was a trailer or two, and nobody's movie experience was ruined.

But it's been getting worse and worse, and now the lights dim at "showtime", but then there's seriously 20 minutes worth of advertisements, and then maybe 10 minutes worth of trailers, and by the time the movie gets around to playing it's half an hour late, and nobody shut their phone off at "showtime" (I mean seriously, why would you?), and people are getting antsy and annoyed before the movie starts, and dragging things out makes all of the movies feel half an hour longer. "Light" 90-minute movies feel like full 2-hour movies, and 2-hour movies feel like bloated 2.5-hour movies. Actual bloated movies feel miserable. Because the theater doesn't care about the audience's viewing experience, they care about fuck you give us more money.

Basically, from my experience it was fine before, maybe even beneficial. But it's become worse and worse and feels like it's a serious problem now.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
From my experience, it used to be that if you showed up early to get good seating, they would be running advertisements on the big screen. At the official "showtime" of the movie the lights would dim and the ads would stop (and this was also where they put the "turn off your phone" warnings, once they started doing those), and then they'd show a couple of trailers (maybe 10 minutes, tops) and then start the movie. If you showed up a bit late due to traffic or trouble parking, you'd have to find your seat in the dark, but hopefully all you missed was a trailer or two, and nobody's movie experience was ruined.

But it's been getting worse and worse, and now the lights dim at "showtime", but then there's seriously 20 minutes worth of advertisements, and then maybe 10 minutes worth of trailers, and by the time the movie gets around to playing it's half an hour late, and nobody shut their phone off at "showtime" (I mean seriously, why would you?), and people are getting antsy and annoyed before the movie starts, and dragging things out makes all of the movies feel half an hour longer. "Light" 90-minute movies feel like full 2-hour movies, and 2-hour movies feel like bloated 2.5-hour movies. Actual bloated movies feel miserable. Because the theater doesn't care about the audience's viewing experience, they care about fuck you give us more money.

Basically, from my experience it was fine before, maybe even beneficial. But it's become worse and worse and feels like it's a serious problem now.

My memory isn't the best, so I could be wrong. I'm also not arguing with you, just stating what I remember and know from experience.

For years now...maybe a decade or two...Cineplex has run ads and quizzes before the movie time actually comes around. It'll be car ads, videos hosted by that tech guy Geoff, interviews, quizzes, etc. I remember PS3 ads, but it's mostly car ads. So if you're there early that's to entertain you. They now have a newer host named Tanner who does some of the videos. IIRC.

The previews tend to start around showtime, which is par for the course with movie theatres. I don't remember them running before showtime, just the ads themselves. Maybe I'm wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
1000 points for VIP was amazing a few years ago, spent more money on food and drinks

Now I only go to VIP if there is a deal of some sort

And assigned seating is the greatest

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there something weird going on with online shopping and purchase tax? A couple of days ago I ordered something from Amazon and it didn't charge me the Ontario tax, then I saw it shipped from the US so I didn't look into it. Now I'm looking at Roots to buy a sweater and it's showing no tax! $92.00 for the sweater and that's the total.
What is happening?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a laptop under $1000 to be used for traveling (so priority on it being leightweight). Has anyone seen a good deal recently?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon logistics is weird - they have GPS on all their drivers and can tell where they are when they scan a package, but either the driver gave my package to a neighbour who has presumably decided to keep the package for themselves or it was just straight up stolen.

I dunno, on the one hand the tracking is useful, but unless they put GPS trackers into each package, all it does is make the drivers accountable without actually making sure packages are safe. Although as I finish typing that sentence, I suppose that's the whole point and they don't really care if you get your package or not. lol

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Is there something weird going on with online shopping and purchase tax? A couple of days ago I ordered something from Amazon and it didn't charge me the Ontario tax, then I saw it shipped from the US so I didn't look into it. Now I'm looking at Roots to buy a sweater and it's showing no tax! $92.00 for the sweater and that's the total.
What is happening?

Sometimes things that you buy that aren't sold by Amazon don't have tax. It surprised me when I bought a boxed set of books from a third-party seller which Amazon fulfilled, yet didn't get charged tax for it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a laptop under $1000 to be used for traveling (so priority on it being leightweight). Has anyone seen a good deal recently?
There were XPS 13 and Lenovo sales during boxing day for standard 8gb models and I assume these companies just look for any reason to have a sale... so presumably an Easter sale will happen soon.

What is happening?
Is it shipped and sold by Amazon? If not, then there's no tax if it's from the US (which I assume is a mistake like the PSN stuff, but I have no idea).

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Amazon logistics is weird - they have GPS on all their drivers and can tell where they are when they scan a package, but either the driver gave my package to a neighbour who has presumably decided to keep the package for themselves or it was just straight up stolen.

I dunno, on the one hand the tracking is useful, but unless they put GPS trackers into each package, all it does is make the drivers accountable without actually making sure packages are safe. Although as I finish typing that sentence, I suppose that's the whole point and they don't really care if you get your package or not. lol
They didn't take a pic of your package at your door? I've always had that from them.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't take a pic of your package at your door? I've always had that from them.
No, the package was specifically listed as "handed to resident", but my parents were home and didn't receive it. A package the same day from Canada Post was just left in my mailbox too, so... it's just a weird situation.

I guess it's a case of either the driver scanned it wrong and did leave it on the porch but didn't want to take a picture or something, he handed it to a neighbour who now gets a free game, or he handed it to a complete stranger who happened to be walking by my house. Or the driver just stole it?

I dunno. I guess as long as Amazon gives me the money back or whatever, it doesn't really matter (assuming that I don't have someone stealing packages anyway), but this is certainly the first time I've had an issue with Amazon Logistics itself (as opposed to the normal carriers).

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Depends, what will you be using this laptop for when travelling i.e. work, light gaming, browsing the web?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Walmart update - they finally fixed preorder returns for good and you can just return stuff without it being a chore.

Amazon update - I found my package in a snowbank in front of my house... no idea if that's asshole neighours or asshole driver... I wish they'd just use Canada Post all the time because at least they're responsible people.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
EB still has $200 guaranteed trade ins on PS4s from time to time. I wouldn't go that low unless it's an OG.

Oct 25, 2017
Walmart update - they finally fixed preorder returns for good and you can just return stuff without it being a chore.

Amazon update - I found my package in a snowbank in front of my house... no idea if that's asshole neighours or asshole driver... I wish they'd just use Canada Post all the time because at least they're responsible people.

Are you 100% sure it's fixed? Like, the computer actually accepted it and didn't enter an endless loop of loading?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Generally just browsing the web, managing photos, perhaps light gaming like visual novels?
If that's the case, here's a few recommendations:
Acer Aspire 3 ($700): Good battery life, solid APU; Ryzen 5 is able to handle any games thrown its way at 720, plus it comes with a large enough drive for holding photos and several games/programs.
ASUS ROG 504 GD ($900): In terms of bang for your buck, this is the best laptop you can get, certainly when it comes to power, while still remaining portable. The only concern is that, with it being primarily a gaming laptop, the battery life will not hold up on a long trip without packing a power bank.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I have some spare Cineplex Coupons from the last gift card bundle that are expiring March 7. Sun-Thur only.

$6.99 Wednesday General Admission
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
4 Family Favorites Admit Ones
Hidden content
Hidden content
Hidden content
Hidden content

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Assigned seating at Cineplex and landmark are my fave. I know I have my preferred seat and don't need to arrive at a silly time to make sure I get one.

Also, who doesn't love Timeplay?

Oct 25, 2017
Assigned seating at Cineplex and landmark are my fave. I know I have my preferred seat and don't need to arrive at a silly time to make sure I get one.

Also, who doesn't love Timeplay?

Timeplay sucks now, I miss getting good prizes

Ugh, just realized how many games I have lying around from E3 pre-orders that I still haven't played and would have been cheaper if I had waited lol......

I need to stop pre-ordering so many :( Good thing I only have 4 games still pre-ordered and 3 of them are still over a year away I think

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.