Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Discussing whats in front of us is one thing (which I would happy to talk about). Talking about hypothetical potential sales is another and a waste of time.

The sales in front of us say that packaged legacy software on the Switch is doing pretty well. So obviously we would expect more of that. The next logical step people would make is if your projects are having good sales you would increase support. Calling it hypothetical waste of time is fine, don't engage then, I dont care if you don't like it lol.

I'm not taking anyone serious who thinks talking about market or next steps for a company is a waste of time. Saying that Resident Evil has sold well on Switch so they should bring more current Resident Evil experiences is not a controversial statement. Just dont engage if you dont like it. Or do engage, I dont care. I am not going to avoid making that point just because some people dont like it.

Syringe

Oct 28, 2017
Huge differences. Too huge even? This is physical only, right? I remember Daniel Ahmad writing this last year: "I really need to stress how large the digital shares are on Xbox compared to other platforms"

Also, surely Xbox Game Pass, that includes games like Devil May Cry V and Monster Hunter: World, has taken it's toll on physical (and digital) sales of those games? I think it's getting harder and harder to compare raw numbers when there are so many other factors involved.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
People wondering why xbox gets those ps4 games when switch doesn't. If Nintendo release a console as powerful as the xbox that's super easy to port ps4 games they probably would.

But yeah xbox sales 1/10th of ps4 is shocking. I remember discussing the potential split for MHW and saying the split is likely 90/10 or 85/15 in favour of the ps4. Looks like I was onto something.

Incredible turnaround from last gen for ps4 when the capcom ratio was much more in favour of the xbox.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huge differences. Too huge even? This is physical only, right? I remember Daniel Ahmad writing this last year: "I really need to stress how large the digital shares are on Xbox compared to other platforms"

Also, surely Xbox Game Pass, that includes games like Devil May Cry V and Monster Hunter: World, has taken it's toll on physical (and digital) sales of those games? I think it's getting harder and harder to compare raw numbers when there are so many other factors involved.

At least in comparison to Switch you have to keep in mind that Capcom's Switch games don't even get physical releases in Europe; only USF2, SF Collection and Monster Hunter have.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am i going crazy or am i seeing a 'switch portbegging' in disguise going on here? Lmao...

I mean 'portbegging' is such a vaguely defined thing anyway and is haphazardly actioned at the easiest of times. Just last week a LTTP thread of a console exclusive game got 2 comments about solely porting the game to another platform and those were apparently fair enough, I don't see why this thread about a company's success on various platforms should be any different as a result.

Syringe

Oct 28, 2017
At least in comparison to Switch you have to keep in mind that Capcom's Switch games don't even get physical releases in Europe; only USF2, SF Collection and Monster Hunter have.
Sure, but it's not the same games and quite the different format. More interested in the huge difference between PS4 and Xbox One. One having a larger digital precense and some of the biggest games available for Xbox Game Pass, could explain it to some extent.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Am i going crazy or am i seeing a 'switch portbegging' in disguise going on here? Lmao...

Portbegging (note that nobody here is begging) is a problem if it derails a game announcement thread or something similar. This particular thread is about Capcom's sales across all of the platforms, and some of us are noting a very disproportionate amount of sales on Switch relative to the amount and type of games they are releasing on Switch.

Which begs the question (pun not intended) why don't they see a market on Switch for their non-legacy games, when their older games are performing this well?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Any of their games could realistically make it. RE7, RE2R/RE3R, MHW all run fine on a GPD Win 2 which runs games more or less similarly to Switch (actually much worse in several cases like TW3).

They wouldn't be easy ports but they would be extremely realistic.

No, they dont run fine on Win 2. In fact TW3 could get more satisfying performances than those games on Win 2.

That's not really the question I asked though. What I asked is whether there is no audience for Resident Evil 2 Remake because it would be uglier on the Switch. I don't get the dodging of this question.

I dont think the visual impact would hurt sales on Switch. What I wonder though is about the difficulty.

How are "easily" and "realistically" defined? All I know is we've seen multiple fairly intensive games from a number of western developers ported to the Switch and sell well. Between Bethesda's shooters (DOOM and Wolfenstein), Witcher 3, and MK11, and even SE ported Dragon Quest 11 among titles. So probably not DMC5, but I think the REmakes could probably be ported if they wanted to

Well The Witcher 3 took 16 months iirc ?
And all the games you mentionned manage better performances than RE2/3 or DMC5.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Another person that doesn't quite understand when or why port begging can be an issue.

How else are you discuss company financials without looking at their portfolio and support for diffrent systems ?

3 years laters and era users still clutch their pearl whenever it's suggested that Multiplattform games might make sense on Switch based on some available data.

Having said that I don't see anyone here portbegging.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
No, they dont run fine on Win 2. In fact TW3 could get more satisfying performances than those games on Win 2.

All of that, besides MHW at times, looks perfectly passable, especially compared to this:

www.youtube.com

GPD Win 2 - Witcher 3

This is a PROTOTYPE of the GPD Win 2 running Witcher 3

In general these four games absolutely run much better on GPD Win 2 than The Witcher 3 does. MHW has some big framerate hiccups but TW3's are worse.

Oct 27, 2017
Well The Witcher 3 took 16 months iirc ?
Yeah? And the others took less time. Also the fact they were able to allocate any amount of dev resources for a year and half for a port and thought it was worth it says a lot about the viability of late ports on the Switch if the game is popular and they do a good job

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

All of that, besides MHW at times, looks perfectly passable, especially compared to this:

www.youtube.com

GPD Win 2 - Witcher 3

In general these four games absolutely run much better on GPD Win 2 than The Witcher 3 does. MHW has some big framerate hiccups but TW3's are worse.

Also to note, these games weren't optimized for the GPD Win. It's essentially just running the Windows version of the games at lower settings whereas a Switch port would actually be tailored for the device

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Also to note, these games weren't optimized for the GPD Win. It's essentially just running the Windows version of the games at lower settings whereas a Switch port would actually be tailored for the device

Right, absolutely. Which is why I noted that TW3 runs on Switch much better than on the GPD Win 2, suggesting that Switch generally can outperform it for all of these games if optimized enough.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

GPD Win 2 - Witcher 3

I own a Win 2.
The Witcher 3 can be further optimized. That Win 2 video was on a prototype and played at regular 7W.
Others, save for RE7 are at over 9W and resolutions under 400p.

So yes, while I still believe those MIGHT be possible... There's no denying that it might also be a fairly difficult task and a lenghty one at that that may fail to provide decent results.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You have it backwards. TW3 on Win 2 looks and runs horrid. Something like RE:2 runs fine.

I dont think the visual impact would hurt sales on Switch. What I wonder though is about the difficulty.

It wouldn't be an impossible port or anything. Obviously it is still going to require a moderate time and resource investment. But it's no more excessive than the other ports of current gen games to Switch and RE has a bigger market than something like Doom or Aliens.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then what could they have easily ported or realistically ported ?

I'm pretty sure they could port the RE games if they want. It's not like they NEED to run at 60 fps like the other versions to be playable. I wouldn't be surprised if a Switch version sells more than the PC or Xbox version also.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
do we know about RE3 sales yet? I know launch sales were good but I imagine WoM didn't help the game

Jun 23, 2019

I'm trying to see what people are upset about in the thread. I mean the numbers are plain as day. PS4 is by far Capcom's most successful platform followed by Switch. If the Switch was more powerful, we more than likely would have more games coming to it including MHW, but it's not so we are where we are. I'm not seeing the controversy or reason for people to throw their ire at Capcom.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the desire for more ports down to Switch. That makes sense where applicable.

The desire for Switch as the base and games to be ported up everywhere else....no. That doesn't make sense.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of salt is around MonHun and Capcom taking advantage of the Switch tax.

That said many of their ports are top notch and DRAGON dogma remastered not only compared favorably to the PS4 version it was cheap as well. And physical.

I'm just waiting for their slate to be announced for this year. I am sure there will be lots of Switch love

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
With how poorly Monster Hunter World runs on PS4 and how visually busy it looks even at 1080p, I wouldn't wish a Switch port to my worst enemy. Capcom should make a Switch MH game, not cram MHW and make it look like shit, run like shit and play like shit.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
If Capcom shipped RE3R on the Switch running at 480p and with drops down to 15FPS like on that Win 2 video, people would complain that the port is subpar. You can't win, Capcom.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
People are kidding themselves if they think stuff like RE2R couldn't come or wouldn't sell on Switch after seeing the GPD Win 2 footage.

At the same time had external devs in public offering Capcom to bring games like MHW to the plattform. They just aren't interested because it could threathen what they consider their core business and the deals signed off with other plattform holders in terms of marketing.

The numbers are looking good for Capcom...so no one is gonna complain about their current strategy.

They get a lot of hate but at the end of the day most of their ports are considered modern classics and the Switch ports are actually quite solid.
In the case of MHW, what's the point of doing a Switch port when it likely can't be sold in Japan?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I own a Win 2.
The Witcher 3 can be further optimized. That Win 2 video was on a prototype and played at regular 7W.
Others, save for RE7 are at over 9W and resolutions under 400p.

So yes, while I still believe those MIGHT be possible... There's no denying that it might also be a fairly difficult task and a lenghty one at that that may fail to provide decent results.

Again just look at what was achieved on Switch for TW3 versus what the Win2 can do, even when it's more optimized. The Switch ran it with a better framerate than the PS4 did at launch. Some optimization of these titles would get good results, there's no doubt in my mind.

The question is obviously whether Capcom thinks the investment is worth it but you'd think these sales for the type of titles they're currently putting out would be a big sign that the answer is yes.

If Capcom shipped RE3R on the Switch running at 480p and with drops down to 15FPS like on that Win 2 video, people would complain that the port is subpar. You can't win, Capcom.

No, no we would not. Very few people complained that TW3 port was subpar and it's likely sold well over 1M units by now.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You have it backwards. TW3 on Win 2 looks and runs horrid. Something like RE:2 runs fine.

It wouldn't be an impossible port or anything. Obviously it is still going to require a moderate time and resource investment. But it's no more excessive than the other ports of current gen games to Switch and RE has a bigger market than something like Doom or Aliens.

I'm pretty sure they could port the RE games if they want. It's not like they NEED to run at 60 fps like the other versions to be playable. I wouldn't be surprised if a Switch version sells more than the PC or Xbox version also.

Impossible I don't know. Difficult for sure. That's the thing here. People prefer to believe Capcom has some weird grudge against Switch when they've been actually porting most titles that could be brought. And "funnily" those who didn't make it are those which might require a lot more hardware power.

People also love to say Doom is running, Eternal had to be delayed.

Again just look at what was achieved on Switch for TW3 versus what the Win2 can do, even when it's more optimized. The Switch ran it with a better framerate than the PS4 did at launch. Some optimization of these titles would get good results, there's no doubt in my mind.

The question is obviously whether Capcom thinks the investment is worth it but you'd think these sales for the type of titles they're currently putting out would be a big sign that the answer is yes.

No, no we would not. Very few people complained that TW3 port was subpar and it's likely sold well over 1M units by now.

And The Witcher 3 on Win 2 had more leverage that the other titles. RE2 on that video is running at 5 watts more and at 300p. RE3 is running nearly constantly sub 30fps, in the low twenties and at 360p.

Like it or not, the performances of the Switch means a lot more work are required for those ports to happen. To the point it becomes questionnable for the publisher if they should do it or not because time and money you dedicate here might be needed elsewhere.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Impossible I don't know. Difficult for sure. That's the thing here. People prefer to believe Capcom has some weird grudge against Switch when they've been actually porting most titles that could be brought. And "funnily" those who didn't make it are those which might require a lot more hardware power.

Eternal was delayed specifically because Bethesda pulled Panic Button from the Switch port to help with the other versions' development after the game was initially delayed. Has nothing to do with Switch itself, it was because of the overall delay of the game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

TW3 Switch port is not subpar. It prioritizes fps and feature parity over pure visuals and people accepted it because it was the right decision

I also feel like Nintendo have people going around looking for exactly these kinds of Impossible ports and the reason the remakes aren't on Switch yet could be a technical bottleneck , or they are coming and it's just taking time

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Eternal was delayed specifically because Bethesda pulled Panic Button from the Switch port to help with the other versions' development after the game was initially delayed. Has nothing to do with Switch itself, it was because of the overall delay of the game.

Exactly my point. Time, money and staff isn't unlimited. And when Switch by itself requires a lot of special attention, that leads to that kind of situation.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
TW3 Switch port is not subpar. It prioritizes fps and feature parity over pure visuals and people accepted it because it was the right decision

I also feel like Nintendo have people going around looking for exactly these kinds of Impossible ports and the reason the remakes aren't on Switch yet could be a technical bottleneck , or they are coming and it's just taking time

I think it's a matter of Capcom just not porting the RE Engine for whatever reason. If they ever do port it I imagine most of these games will come (not MHW since that's not on that engine anyway and possibly has that Asian exclusivity deal). I think it's likely that at least some of them will come at some point, though RE7 having a cloud versions might confuse people a bit.

Unless there is some sort of technical issue with that engine on Switch, which I very much doubt but I guess is possible.

Exactly my point. Time, money and staff isn't unlimited. And when Switch by itself requires a lot of special attention, that leads to that kind of situation.

Sure, I don't disagree there. Like I've said it's absolutely a matter of ROI, which is the point of the arguments in this thread- the returns on their Switch releases seem extremely high given the investment needed on these old ports. Which should suggest the ROI on more expensive ports should be very good too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay. So again, you think that a port of Resident Evil 2 Remake on Switch wouldn't sell? Forget building it with Switch in mind. You think if they ported it right now it wouldn't have an audience?
I'm sure it would sell okay, that's not what we're talking about here.
Dude, chill. You are derailing this conversation either intentionally or because you missed the point.
It is not about the power. You can read post by post again and come back to continue a civil discussion.
Otherwise, I'm done with this nonsense.
This a thread about Capcom's sales data that is being derailed in the first place by Switch owners practicing a not so stealthy variation of port begging. I can understand being annoyed at Capcom doing some bullshit like selling each DMC game separately. I can't understand arguing for every one of their games being limited by the hardware capabilities of the Switch. It may sound surprising to you, but developers also want to push the envelope in their own ways.
p.s. I am pretty chill, I just think having any kind of argument minimizing the power differential between both machines to be absolutely ludicrous. Capcom is making games on the bleeding edge of visual presentation. RE Engine is built for that, and it has been in development since before the Switch was even a thing. DMC5 has been in development since 2015. I'm pretty sure RE7 was in development even before that. If those games were made for the Switch in the first place they would undoubtedly have been affected. Its's beyond discussion as far as I'm concerned. I find it absurd to even argue about it.
... and those games sold really well (DOOM, Wolfenstein, Witcher 3, Crash, Spyro). Seems like a good strategy.
Downporting games to the Switch to the best of a developer's abilities is perfectly fine, of course. But we're not talking about the Switch getting ports. We're talking about the notion from some people that Capcom should disregard building games for the PS4/XBO entirely(and the PS5/XSX I assume) and instead just makes games for the Switch and have those other consoles get ports of, let's be honest, what would end up looking like last-gen tier games. As if that won't affect their sales potential.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

People that think Capcom has a grudge are dumb. Capcom established really damn early they had no interest in making new games on Switch. Anyone who paid attention knows this.

I think all people are saying is that given their performance on the platform it would make sense for them to try and release current gen games. I seriously dont understand why this is so controversial. It's not like Capcom's games are so special that none of them could be ported.

Why they wont is imo because they just dont see value in putting new games on the Switch. Which is in line with basically all their actions since the Switch came out.

Oct 27, 2017
We're talking about the notion from some people that Capcom should disregard building games for the PS4/XBO entirely(and the PS5/XSX I assume) and instead just makes games for the Switch and have those other consoles get ports of, let's be honest, what would end up looking like last-gen looking games.
Wtf are you talking about???

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Reading this thread like

giphy-40-1589810118.gif

Oct 27, 2017
People that think Capcom has a grudge are dumb. Capcom established really damn early they had no interest in making new games on Switch. Anyone who paid attention knows this.
Yup, that's why they asked Nintendo to increase the Switch RAM, right?

TechRadar | The source for tech buying advice

The latest technology news and reviews, covering computing, home entertainment systems, gadgets and more
When Nintendo was developing the Switch, it went to various developers to get feedback, Capcom brought up the RAM, telling Nintendo it wasn't sufficient for the RE Engine to work on the system. Other developers were echoing the same concern, but NintendoEverything notes that the amount of RAM in the Nintendo Switch (4GB) ultimately ended up being exactly what Capcom requested.

Capcom's Masaru Ijuin explained during the conference that part of the need for that memory is about optimizing the RE Engine to be able to operate in both docked and portable states.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf are you talking about???
Well, it's cheaper to do an up port than an downport. So by doing this, you release on all systems by targeting the least common denominator.
Of course, "BUT IT WOuLD HOlD BAcK OUR GaMez", obviously...
Yo, I heard this weird rumour that you can build games for Switch and port them to PS4/PC/XBO. Don't know how true it is.
???

Oct 27, 2017

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
You should learn how to construct an argument instead of resorting to "people would complain that the port is subpar. You can't win, Capcom." These "people" don't exist. You created them for the sake of having someone to point to as complainers

Are you telling me nobody complained about lots of the downgraded ports? Like, I get that TW3 has improved a lot with patches, but there was a lot of shit going on at launch. Same with stuff like AC3, ARK or Saint's Row 3. Hell, you could add Overwatch and being 30FPS, which turned off a lot of people.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is saying disregard PS4/XB1 for their games, just that the idea of "if they want to make Switch games they need to be exclusives" is nonsense because they could just make Switch games and upport them to PS4/XB1.
They are doing that too? Mega Man 11 came out for all platforms.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
So we're onto the completely nonsensical and laughable hypotheticals and strawmen I see
You don't see the irony in this when this entire discussion was derived from these lines of argument? 👇 C'mon.
Yo, I heard this weird rumour that you can build games for Switch and port them to PS4/PC/XBO. Don't know how true it is.
"SwitCh helDs bacKs OuR GaMez !!!"