• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect a producer to say sales are low when the game was released "yesterday". Not saying he is lying though.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's Devil May Cry, it's not something like Resident Evil or Monster Hunter, Capcom's real moneycows.

But I believe the game will still have good sales, because feature stellar gameplay and is a technical showpiece.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Using physical sales to gauged a games success seems utterly pointless. I live in the UK and pretty much everyone I know buys digital.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I understand where the "UK doesn't matter" posts come from but you have to accept that UK is still the biggest market in Europe and it's not trivial at all. DMC's 20k (at retail) in the UK is probably it's best opening in any European country (well UK is not a country but you know what I mean). The only exeptions could be Germany and France.

On the other hand anybody saying the game flopped is really ignorant. The game will do good, Capcom is going to share the numbers soon.
Germany is considered the bigger market, at best the UK will occasionally be neck-to-neck in terms of revenue. It's why Nintendo still fares well in Europe despite UK not being their strongest country.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
While I understand where the "UK doesn't matter" posts come from but you have to accept that UK is still the biggest market in Europe and it's not trivial at all. DMC's 20k (at retail) in the UK is probably it's best opening in any European country (well UK is not a country but you know what I mean). The only exeptions could be Germany and France.

On the other hand anybody saying the game flopped is really ignorant. The game will do good, Capcom is going to share the numbers soon.
I think some people just don't understand that the game not doing Red Dead or God of War numbers in their first week doesn't mean it's a failure, and then citing the market as the reason for 'failure' without looking at the context

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I think some people just don't understand that the game not doing Red Dead or God of War numbers in their first week doesn't mean it's a failure, and then citing the market as the reason for 'failure' without looking at the context

Nobody's expecting it to do God of War or Red Dead numbers.

But people were hopeful for sales that would - match previous franchise highs in the 70-80% range ( where digital would allow it to either match or slightly surpass DMC4 sales ), or even if we don't compare with DMC4, comparably closer to RE2 sales, which is shorter linear high-production Capcom game.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Of course they're not. I'm not understanding the overreaction of some people with DMC5 sales lately.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's just two indirect data points but the concurrent players number on Steam and the Twitch numbers when it came out tell me that there's no way the game is doing badly. UK and Japan retail numbers aren't great but I feel like they're the worst markets to study if you want extrapolate to worldwide sales.

The game is probably not a phenomenon or anything but I'm sure it's doing good. I can still see it become the best selling of the series.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I think the release in the same month Sekiro launches has more to say than we are willing to admit.
Anyway, good to hear sales aren't that low.

What do you think this says? That Capcom were worried about Sekiro stealing its sales? I'm not convinced.

Also, what's the highest selling character action game (don't like the term)? God of War if it counts obviously, buy NG, DMC, Bayo have never been big sellers right?

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Germany is considered the bigger market, at best the UK will occasionally be neck-to-neck in terms of revenue. It's why Nintendo still fares well in Europe despite UK not being their strongest country.

Well Germany should be the same size now but that doesn't changes what I said. Not sure why are you bringing Nintendo into the conversation. They are less popular in the UK it has nothing to do with market size.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems to be doing... okay. Not great, but not terrible. Kind of what I expected. It's more of a niche game in my opinion.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
giphy.gif

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I think the issue this game has as far as general market value goes is that it's a "limited" 9 hour experience at a niche genre. Essentially DMC5 is very similar to RE2 Remake as far as value proposition goes but without being as popular.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
confirmation that uk physical sales dont tell us anything other than uk physical sales

OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
You guys said it's doing well on Steam, but the peak players number is 31k. :/

Well uh, it's a 10 hours game, people played and finished the game in one week and they moved on.
The peak during launch is 88k.

SP linear games will always drop in players, happened to RE2 as well.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well Germany should be the same size now but that doesn't changes what I said. Not sure why are you bringing Nintendo into the conversation. They are less popular in the UK it has nothing to do with market size.
The point is UK isn't the end-all, be-all for the European market, especially when it isn't even the bigger market.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

The UK is a country.

Some Scots might tell you otherwise, but officially, it's a country.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
One of the most fun video games I've ever played , I really hope it does well. More people need to play this wonderful game

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Shame it hasn't sold so well in the UK. Finally getting round to playing and loving it so far. What seems to get most sales is sadly GTA/Fifa/COD over and over again though really (though same could be said for most regions).

I don't think its wise to say to not look into the sale data for the UK at all though, it's certainly strange it didn't do as well as RE2.
Really I'm blaming marketing for this. If I didn't have it pre ordered, I even may have forgot it released last week, that and it has been a busy few months for sure, people may have prioritised over things.

All things said, 99% certain the game has sold well, though as for whether it "meets expectations" I have no idea anymore.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
What do you think this says? That Capcom were worried about Sekiro stealing its sales? I'm not convinced.

Also, what's the highest selling character action game (don't like the term)? God of War if it counts obviously, buy NG, DMC, Bayo have never been big sellers right?
For not liking the term, it sure got across the exact meaning you needed in a way that everyone reading it understood ;^)

Embrace it, it's a perfectly useful grouping of like games.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It had poor performance over here? It topped the charts; I can't imagine it's done that poorly in the UK.

The charts are not what they used to be tiny numbers vs. even a year ago.
We know that digital sales have had an impact on it and the evidence of how well it has sold on steam is simply confirmation of that

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
especially when it isn't even the bigger market.

It trades being the biggest with Germany so I have no idea what you are saying...

Those downplaying UK sales in this thread are hilarious, especially when the game sold like a DMC game in the UK so the sales were not bad anyway. The game also sold like a DMC game in Japan too and Japan has a weaker digital ratio so some magical 80% ratio can't be used as the excuse here either.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Shame it hasn't sold so well in the UK. Finally getting round to playing and loving it so far. What seems to get most sales is sadly GTA/Fifa/COD over and over again though really (though same could be said for most regions).

I don't think its wise to say to not look into the sale data for the UK at all though, it's certainly strange it didn't do as well as RE2.
Really I'm blaming marketing for this. If I didn't have it pre ordered, I even may have forgot it released last week, that and it has been a busy few months for sure, people may have prioritised over things.

All things said, 99% certain the game has sold well, though as for whether it "meets expectations" I have no idea anymore.

Not really, both the IP and the genre it pertains has more appeal than DMC and the action genre.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Best-selling DMC game (DMC 3) did 3.45M lifetime, so it's a big goal, but not an impossible one. Anyway, it's not like 5M is the lower bound for success or anything, of course.
3.45m was also between DMC3 + DMC3:DA. Being the best selling DMC game isn't some outlandish goal.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Thanks! Blows my mind that Neir Automata has been that successful.
Both Platinum and Yoko Taro desperately deserved that win and I'm so glad they got it.

When it got announced, my first thought was "this has the potential to be one of the best games ever made" and my second was "this is going to do Wonderful 101 numbers" and thankfully I was only accurate on one of those predictions.

3.45m was also between DMC3 + DMC3:DA. Being the best selling DMC game isn't some outlandish goal.
I believe the 3.45 number is DMC3 + Special Edition + HD collection, so up to you if you think that's a fair comparison to the rest of the series.