• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This was posted in the recent Q&A in English

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/explanation.html

Monster Hunter: World (MHW below) has shipped 5 million units. Tell me how this title is performing against its target and about your methods for recognizing expenses.
We have not disclosed our target unit sales for MHW, however it has already achieved our target for the current fiscal year. Looking at recent sales trends for our major titles, we had anticipated a slower pace of first-year sales compared to previous entries in the series; however, its initial performance has exceeded our expectations. As the development cost of each of our titles is distributed across the title's lifetime unit sales target, we will recognize a portion of MHW's total cost of development proportionate to its Q4 sales.

Guess it was obvious and Predictable at 5M , but it is always good to see confirmation from Capcom that the game achieved its Fiscal Year target ( [Current Fiscal Year Ending March 2018 )

Last edited:

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
It got a purchase out of me and I've never touched the series outside the demos. They never could grab me, but this game and it's presentation did. I'm thirty hours in and it's all I can think about now. I've now become a fan of this series. Also, very happy to see a full game at launch with free dlc later on. It's one of the main reasons I decided to buy. I wanted to support pro consumer practices. I may be old fashion, but I want a full game when I buy it.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Nice.
But they do need to release a DLC soon though to keep the hype going. One new area+3 monsters+1 elder.
The game came to a crawl at HR50+. You only play it to get Hero stone and the correct decoration atm. So there is no leg for the game after the first initial month.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
MHW is so great it met Capcom's target. A true feat.

To be clear I'm not sarcastic, it's just that Capcom's target are usually insane.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Congrats to all involved. It sounds like it's deserving of the success and I'm genuinely happy for them.

I just borrowed it from the library yesterday, but am worried it'll be too involved for me and hate starting games I don't finish. I only have it for a week, which also isn't a lot of time. I may pass, but respectfully.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Nice.
But they do need to release a DLC soon though to keep the hype going. One new area+3 monsters+1 elder.
The game came to a crawl at HR50+. You only play it to get Hero stone and the correct decoration atm. So there is no leg for the game after the first initial month.
Yeah the endgame is kinda barebones compared to previous entries. Sadly the dlc is probably kinda weak until we get a proper G rank expansion.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I mean, it's the fastest selling game in their company history. Who would've guessed that it could sell faster than Resident Evil games given that MH really didn't have much of a western presence before World?

Your right about that. But i mean they were intending for this to be the end result, that's why they fashioned the game for the global audience. I guess its just strange they didnt have faith in the project on that level for what they were investing into it. In any case its good news.

I guess my real thought is what were their "realistic" expectations that the actual sales blew past

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The word of mouth is very strong. I'm going to go get it. I don't want to wait anymore.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hell yeah dude. So happy it's successful!!!!!!

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Your right about that. But i mean they were intending for this to be the end result, that's why they fashioned the game for the global audience. I guess its just strange they didnt have faith in the project on that level for what they were investing into it. In any case its good news.

I guess my real thought is what were their "realistic" expectations that the actual sales blew past

It's not like they didn't have faith but more like they were being realistic. Nobody in their right mind would have predicted MHW to ship 5M in 3 days. For a niche genre outside Japan, I guess they expected 3M by fiscal year at most.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for Capcom to fuck up again repeatedly until another Monster Hunter hits and saves their asses - again.

Oct 25, 2017

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
congrats.

Switch will get a version of MH but not MHW . MHW is so demanding even on pro and X.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't mean that they didn't have faith in it. They wouldn't have moved it back to consoles if they didn't have faith in it. But the lifetime best sales for a single entry in this series has been just under 5m. And that's for an entire run for a game. In just a few weeks World has already eclipsed that. Even if they had high expectations it likely wasn't that it could become the best selling entry in less than a month. Look at big Japanese franchises. RE7 has yet to sell 6m. It took FFXV nearly two months to ship 6m. It took MGSV four months to ship that many units. World did it in two weeks. No one could've predicted that even if you were coming in with very high expectations.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually wish they would add loads more to it and create a season pass.

Funny how games that I dont want one for all have them, and the one I would gladly drop another 30 quid on doesnt.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It doesn't mean that they didn't have faith in it. They wouldn't have moved it back to consoles if they didn't have faith in it. But the lifetime best sales for a single entry in this series has been just under 5m. And that's for an entire run for a game. In just a few weeks World has already eclipsed that. Even if they had high expectations it likely wasn't that it could become the best selling entry in less than a month. Look at big Japanese franchises. RE7 has yet to sell 6m. It took FFXV nearly two months to ship 6m. It took MGSV four months to ship that many units. World did it in two weeks. No one could've predicted that even if you were coming in with very high expectations.

that's true.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
If it reached 7M before the end of the fiscal year ( March 2018 ) , I guess at this pace it will be the best selling third party Japanese game in this generation

Oct 25, 2017
I actually wish they would add loads more to it and create a season pass.

Funny how games that I dont want one for all have them, and the one I would gladly drop another 30 quid on doesnt.

This is the first time in years that capcom has shipped a base MH game and not the G Rank expansion versions in the US so I can understand why people can be disappointed with current end game.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I'll repeat myself and say again, thank heavens it's a proper MonHun that blows up, saving us from Frontier and MH:Online.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts and Granblue Fantasy (probably) will give the shot of life to the PS4 sales in Japan this year.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Those quotes from the article about a Switch version are really sad to read. Not the part about the game and a possible port, but how they view it. No Capcom, Switch owners aren't different ... i don't expect anything but token support or smaller games like Megaman 11 from them if they still want to cling to these views.

odyssey?isnt it a bit above 7 million now?

Odyssey isn't third party.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
They never told us their expectations before release unlike any other high profile release