• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
RE: Village seems to be moving quite slow comparatively as it is quite close to RE8 in terms of mechanics. Why the difference?

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
So proud of 2R, it was different but kept enough of the original to keep long fans happy. No true dual campaigns but what can you do.

781.png

I know it's being framed as a home console + PC only comparison but I also think it's worth highlighting the 3DS version of SSFIV. Both because of how ridiculously well it sold (1.3m) for a year late, and basically abandoned, port but also because it belies the missed opportunity with Switch for a SFV port due to the exclusivity lock in. Which I feel could've been a multimillion seller by itself.

I expect Capcom will probably take a different approach with SF6 on Drake and hopefully be rewarded for it again.
SF6 seem like it has a good chance of being something that's out during the launch window, right? I'm sure Ichinose's team is already well into planning on the next Monster Hunter for Nintendo hardware, but SF6 really doesn't need a bespoke version all that much when the hardware target isn't going to be too crazy and RE Engine being so scalable already.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
RE: Village seems to be moving quite slow comparatively as it is quite close to RE8 in terms of mechanics. Why the difference?
RE7 is closer to RE2 more than Village is close to RE7; but, to answer your question, it's probably the relative lack of DLC keeping it in the news and lack of a price drop. RE7 and RE2 see steep sales.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Ah yes, Monster Hunter, that niche franchise for PSP and 3DS...
World was my introduction and it seems they captured lightning in a bottle. Excited for the inevitable next (current) gen instalment!

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a lot of sales for them in the past 2 years. Def helps.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
SF6 seem like it has a good chance of being something that's out during the launch window, right? I'm sure Ichinose's team is already well into planning on the next Monster Hunter for Nintendo hardware, but SF6 really doesn't need a bespoke version all that much when the hardware target isn't going to be too crazy and RE Engine being so scalable already.
Oh yeah, now need for a bespoke Nintendo version these days. Especially with SF6 as it'll still be targeting hardware weaker than Drake (PS4).

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
RE5 sold 300K just like RE7 and RE:2?

b63ee14fe8d4fa46df7282ad15000b68.gif

Still the god of RE!

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
OK that makes a bit more sense I suppose.

Off topic: Been a resident evil fan almost since day one but never played Dino Crisis. Have them both ready to go on the Steam Deck, gonna start this weekend. If they are not the best games of all time I am holding you personally responsible!

AFAIK for the longest time RE5 was the best selling game in the series and all versions of it are accounted for so it seems RE7 may well be. It seems surprising at first but I think that game arrived at the absolute perfect time. It was the first RE on the latest gen of consoles, the reviews were fantastic after the poor reception of the previous one, it was going back to pure horror which would have fuelled the word of mouth, it came out in late January which was usually a wasteland back then and it was also the standout title for the hyped VR headset that Sony had just released.
Was? RE5 is still the best selling RE.

So now that Okami HD is over 2M, when do we get Okamiden HD? And a proper sequel?
Okamiden isn't happening unless it's a remake, due to the DS stuff and the fact that it has legit N64 fidelity visuals that HD won't be able to fix up alone.

Okami 2, I think, is going to hinge on a lot of things going absolutely right to make it possible, especially if Kamiya really wants Platinum to have a hand in it and if he can sweet talk his friends over at Capcom to keep at the effort to maintain interest. I don't think it's as impossible as it was a decade ago, but it's not going to be easy.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I know it's always been budget priced, but I'm still so impressed RE5 managed to sell over 2.5m just on PS4 and XB1.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
DMC5 is only 200k away from breaking into the all time Capcom top ten.

Which would make it the only non RE, MH, SF franchise to do that. You'd then have to go to spot number 26 for the next one which is Dead Rising 3.

I expect similar for Dragons Dogma 2. A mix of DMC, Monster Hunter and Skyrim in a Capcom game? If done well it'll be Capcoms next big thing.

Jawmuncher

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
The real news here is that Dead Rising 3 has heavily outsold DR2.

I'm happy that DMC5 will make the top 10 and be the game that upseats SF2 from the top 10 after 30 years, not RE3.

Mon ami.
đź‘Ť
There's just something about RE fpv that makes the experience feel more personal, and spookier too.

On the topic of DR. I really hope we get to see it on the RE Engine. Should be a crazy experience, with how good it looks, and performs.

Jul 3, 2021
Im a simple hater: I see that RE3make sold half of what RE2make sold, Village outsold it completely in a rather short time and that its the slowest selling mainline game since RE5 and Im happy.

If given the proper attention, a bit bigger budget, and main division, it could match RE2make's sales.

Sep 23, 2018
Village selling 6.6 million [before recent DLC / Gold edition] seems like a great figure to me, considering its only been out for less than two years. That seems like a decent sales figure for now, no?

It's been my favourite mainline RE game since RE2make and RE7. I fell in love with it the second I saw the view of the Village in its mountainous setting in those opening moments, it's an absolute joy of Gothic horror with the strongest villans the franchise has had in a long time so I'm pleased to see it doing respectable numbers.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
These numbers don't reflect the boost Village will likely get from the DLC. Then there's boosts it will get from RE4 releasing, and RE9, and later sales once it gets cheaper. It's gonna be at 10M in no time.

đź‘Ť
There's just something about RE fpv that makes the experience feel more personal, and spookier too.

On the topic of DR. I really hope we get to see it on the RE Engine. Should be a crazy experience, with how good it looks, and performs.

Same. For the type of horror that RE aims for, at least modern RE sequels, FP makes more sense. More claustrophobic, more of an intimacy with your surroundings. Looking at someone's bum the entire time doesn't have the same effect. That makes more sense for action stuff.

DMC5 is only 200k away from breaking into the all time Capcom top ten.

Which would make it the only non RE, MH, SF franchise to do that. You'd then have to go to spot number 26 for the next one which is Dead Rising 3.

I expect similar for Dragons Dogma 2. A mix of DMC, Monster Hunter and Skyrim in a Capcom game? If done well it'll be Capcoms next big thing.

Jawmuncher

It's also probably gonna be the game that knocks SF2 SNES out of the top 10, after 31 years.

Im a simple hater: I see that RE3make sold half of what RE2make sold, Village outsold it completely in a rather short time and that its the slowest selling mainline game since RE5 and Im happy.

If given the proper attention, a bit bigger budget, and main division, it could match RE2make's sales.

It's fair to say now that focusing so much effort on Resistance was a definite mistake. While there was a chance that it could be a big hit, I feel like it was obvious early on that it wouldn't make much of a splash.

Even the release gap isn't an excuse. RE2 is pretty handily outpacing RE3. The latter is doing close 2/3 of what RE2 did at the same time. I bet the gap is only gonna grow wider over time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Village selling 6.6 million [before recent DLC / Gold edition] seems like a great figure to me, considering its only been out for less than two years. That seems like a decent sales figure for now, no?

It's been my favourite mainline RE game since RE2make and RE7. I fell in love with it the second I saw the view of the Village in its mountainous setting in those opening moments, it's an absolute joy of Gothic horror with the strongest villans the franchise has had in a long time so I'm pleased to see it doing respectable numbers.
Seems its doing fine. And with Capcom games having really long legs, and sales, the game will no doubt keep selling for years to come much like other games in the series.

Jul 3, 2021
It's been my favourite mainline RE game since RE2make and RE7

This really doesnt say much. The only thing between RE2make and Village was RE3make which wasnt the best RE game out there, lets just say that.

It's fair to say now that focusing so much effort on Resistance was a definite mistake. While there was a chance that it could be a big hit, I feel like it was obvious early on that it wouldn't make much of a splash.

Fully agree. But Im not sure how Capcom even could think that PvP game they dont plan to support and didnt even invest in basic functionalities can be anything other than dead on arrival.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I wish they gave the next-gen versions of RE2make and R3make another polish patch. Performance in RT mode is abysmal. Love the games very much still!

Oct 19, 2022
The fact that Devil May Cry is Capcom's 5th best selling franchise with DMC 5 close to popping in the top 10 of their platinum titles, but we might not see another game outta that series anytime soon is cruel.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Devil May Cry is Capcom's 5th best selling franchise with DMC 5 close to popping in the top 10 of their platinum titles, but we might not see another game outta that series anytime soon is cruel.
Well Capcom needs to get another team to develop it - since Itsuno probably took his DMC5 team over to Dragons Dogma 2. Im all for more DMC though. As long as its good DMC. No DMC2, no reboot DmC... just more Nero and Nico.

Sep 23, 2018
This really doesnt say much. The only thing between RE2make and Village was RE3make which wasnt the best RE game out there, lets just say that.

Fully agree. But Im not sure how Capcom even could think that PvP game they dont plan to support and didnt even invest in basic functionalities can be anything other than dead on arrival.

Yeah that was a poor way of phrasing it, and that's my bad. I should have said;
As much as I loved RE7 and RE2 remake, Village has solidified itself as my absolute favourite of the recent Resi games.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Why doesnt Capcom reflect that? Eitherway seems like RE7 is on its heels.

As already mentioned, all versions of RE7 are combined together under one listing. RE5 isn't. It has three listings. The two in the OP and the Gold Edition re-release that has sold 2.3 million copies. That version is no longer sold so it saw no increase. It also released on Switch, but that version hasn't cracked 1 million yet. You have to combine all those numbers. RE4 is the same way

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

It's a worse game. Pretty middling all in all.

Except it's selling faster than 7 in the same cycle? (RE7 only got above 6M two years after release, in 2019).

In terms units sold per period, it goes like: Resi 2 >> Village >> 7 >>>> RE3 (which the latter is way slower compared to the first three).