Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
https://highdefdiscnews.com/2019/03/26/both-captain-america-sequels-on-4k-uhd-blu-ray-late-april/

The two Marvel Studios sequels "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and "Captain America: Civil War" are both coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on April 23rd, via Disney – according to an early alert to retailers. The titles had been said to be coming but we now finally get them both listed with release date and pre-order listings for each over at Best Buy. So far there are no details regarding the tech specs or the bonus materials set to be included on the releases, but stay tuned for any updates. Each release will come in the form of a "combo pack" with the Blu-ray Disc included along with a digital copy of the film.

Best Buy preorders up now.

The Winter Soldier
6323403_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Civil War
6323402_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Best Buy Steelbooks:

The Winter Soldier
6323401_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Civil War
6323400_sa.jpg;maxHeight=300;maxWidth=450

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
How long are they going to be able to keep up doing different releases of these movies?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
How long are they going to be able to keep up doing different releases of these movies?

Releasing in formats that hadn't been invented when these films came out seems very reasonable?

(Edit: Yes, I know UHD Blu-ray had technically been invented when Civil War released but Disney had no release chain at the time).

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't this relatively old news? I've had the UHDs all pre-ordered for a few months now, I swear.

Good if this is bringing people's attention to it though.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cool, all of Cap's individual saga will be available in 4K/HDR. He's my favorite character in MCU and I'm upgrading the favorites in my collection to UHD Blu-Rays as they release -- I'd argue this was already kinda high up for me in terms of the unreleased ones so far.

First Avenger, Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Avengers 2, Civil War, Avengers 3... all in UHD come April 23. Hooray!

Been getting all my MCU movies in UHD since they began releasing in UHD, but I specifically wanted the Cap individual saga. I won't be upgrading any of my other older blu-rays to UHD format if they get released -- I'm content with the standard blu-ray releases I already own for those films.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Are UHD 4k Blu-rays worth it? Is there a huge difference in clarity, or does it depend on the way the movie was shot and/or if the movie is upscaled?

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
On one hand I wanna get them, on the other hand Disney are such cheap bastards that they dont put danish subtitles on their releases and I dont wanna support that kind of bullshit.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Are UHD 4k Blu-rays worth it? Is there a huge difference in clarity, or does it depend on the way the movie was shot and/or if the movie is upscaled?

To be perfectly honest, a lot of these re-releases weren't originally shot with 4K resolution in mind and therefore a lot of editing has to be done to rework the image into a 4K output that looks close. That said, the actual resolution and picture quality differences often tend to be pretty subtle in normal viewing conditions, and a bit more pronounced upon closer examination (which most viewers won't do). To my eye, however, I still argue that HDR when utilized correctly, can add a really great sense of depth to an image versus SDR.

My impression with my various ugprades from the original blu-ray release to UHD is that the resolution bump and added detail that typical comes from that can be hit and miss depending on the original format the movie was shot in, as that can often determine the level detail that becomes evident in a normal viewing scenario versus the previous lower resolution release of the movie. HDR is my main driver for a lot of my upgrades/double-dips, and for the most part I think the bigger film studios like Disney seem to have a pretty solid grasp on how to apply it in these re-releases.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
A lot of stuff will be upscaled, but the higher bitrate will offer some better clarity over the old blu disc usually. Your biggest upgrade will usually be in the HDR color grading. It also depends on what kind of sound mix the old blu had, as many UHD discs are upgraded to new Atmos mixes.
Compared to streaming? Better clarity (again, bitrate) and far superior sound since the sound will be lossless compared to streaming.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
So were these filmed with that resolution or is this upscaled? I've noted a there are a lot of big releases that do this, feels a bit cheap when it comes to the UHD Blu Ray releases.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Will 100% upgrade my copies on Vudu.

My wife is watching these for the first time, so this will arrive just in time for a nice Civil War rewatch.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I just got a 4K tv/Blu Ray player and ill be waiting for when Marvel releases a 4K Phase 3 boxset.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So were these filmed with that resolution or is this upscaled? I've noted a there are a lot of big releases that do this, feels a bit cheap when it comes to the UHD Blu Ray releases.

I do not believe that the vast majority of MCU films were intended for 4K resolution in their original filming. I do know for sure that First Avenger and Avengers 1 are upscaled retouches, but if it matters they do have competent HDR color and contrast added in the UHD re-releases.

EDIT: I think late phase 2 and phase 3 might be the first filmed to support 4K resolution. I'm not sure if the Russo Bros filmed that way when they began their MCU streak with Winter Soldier.

EDIT2: I stand corrected.

Black Panther is the only MCU movie that was mastered in native 4K.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Movies using 2K digital intermediates has been the norm for the past 20 years. To do these in native 4K, they would need to go back to the source and rerender (basically remake) all of the CG at a higher resolution. That is not feasible for a home video release.

I do not believe that the vast majority of MCU films were intended for 4K resolution in their original filming. I do know for sure that First Avenger and Avengers 1 are upscaled retouches, but if it matters they do have competent HDR color and contrast added in the UHD re-releases.
Black Panther is the only MCU movie that was mastered in native 4K.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances of them doing a full UHD release at the end of the year with all the films?

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Already preordered the Cap 4K boxset. The only MCU movie I need in 4K now is Iron Man and maybe Guardians 1.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

Have you never seen the different versions of Disney Animated film rereleases every time they're pulled from "the vault?" Diamond, Platinum, DVD, Blu-Ray... These won't be in print forever and ten, hell even five years from now, a new generation of people will want to buy them for their collections. As long as there is demand and new formats there will be reprints of some sort.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I expected a better from the steelbooks, but I'll still get them. I love my Cap!

Oct 28, 2017

I own 4 different version of The Lion King on Blu-Ray

The Marvel Movie that I have seen on UHD that had that "WOW" moment was Guardians of the Galaxy II. 4K HDR on a good TV was a significant improvement. 4K for gaming feels like a far bigger leap than movies in my opinion.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just recently finished collecting all the Marvel movies on digital release, picking up the 4k versions whenever available.

Guess I'll be grabbing these so I can upgrade these movies to 4k.

Dec 12, 2017
I'll wait for the reviews to see if they're worth upgrading. I've been pretty good at sticking to getting UHDs that are miles better than the Blu-ray.