• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
the wording in the impressions is the exact same language as they use for every movie that ends up being uninspired drivel but people (rightfully) want to be positive about it because it's a great win for representation

here's hoping it's decent at least
Got any examples of this?

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, not the wank-off I expected considering how normal 'social media impressions' go.
I reckon it'll be standard fare, like most Marvel character intro films. I'm glad for what it represents and what it will normalize.

People with outlooks akin to that dude with the SJW vid above (cringe af, btw; random Apex Legends footage? hahahahahaha) don't seem to understand that ideas need to be introduced before they can be normalised. This movie will do what it needs to do and we'll see characters like Captain Marvel in the 'normal' Marvel Films we've come to know. Can't believe there's actually such passionate discourse about popcorn cinema.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/1098089911486504960

https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/1098093124906373121

CAPTAIN MARVEL isn't what I expected based on marketing. It's pretty much an "all in" cosmic space movie. Also, it's a lot weirder than I expected. Ben Mendelsohn is awesome as Talos.

And not wacky weird like the GOTG movies. Think more "Rey snapping into endless mirrors" from The Last Jedi type scenes. Also, finally, the MCU and a Nirvana song come together (as Kurt Cobain wanted)

I can't get over how great Ben Mendelsohn is. I was worried he was just going to be one of those Marvel villains with alien makeup, but that's not the case at all. This movie doesn't work without him.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Black Panther, Captain Marvel.

These were the two movies that REALLY needed to stick the landing. Even more than Infinity War/End Game imo.

So I'm happy they seem to both be great.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Again, do you think that's real when it's immediately followed with "6 Friends episodes that take up majority of the runtime"

It's a joke...
I stopped reading the tweet after the cameo reference. I wasn't aware that it was meant as a joke. I'm not familiar with the Tweeter. I wasn't complaining about it regardless, just pointing out what I thought the user was referencing when they suggested using spoiler tags.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This impressions sound great. Also I just realized I never really paid much attention to who the main villain was, who seems to be whoever this Ben dude is playing. Glad he's a highlight, my favorite superhero movies nowadays tend to be the ones where the villains are really good.

Last edited:

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
Always too many stellar impressions from the press who see this stuff early, probably because a lot of them feel grateful just for the chance. But I really do hope it's a good movie. I'm all up for 90's vibe...that's so hot right now!

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
Given that these are first social media impressions, I'm still not convinced that this will be particularly great. The comments make it sound decent, and general opinions will likely skew more negative over time. I hope my negativity is proven wrong though- Marvel usually pulls through in the end.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Seriously though, why does it need to be explained in literally every Marvel movie thread that social media reactions from verified movie critics are legitimate?

"These are always positive"

Yeah, the reception of Marvel movies is also always positive. There hasn't been a Marvel movie below 80% RT in years. Pretty strong correlation there.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Post more as you see them!

Wait the manbabies don't know shit? and the movie is getting good reactions, while under the preview of Kevin Feige?

Gm9Q.gif

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though, why does it need to be explained in literally every Marvel movie thread that social media reactions from verified movie critics are legitimate?

Yeah, the reception of Marvel movies is also always positive. There hasn't been a Marvel movie below 80% RT in years. Pretty strong correlation there.

It's very frustrating.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Usually early impressions for such movies are hyperbolic galore the fact that hyperbole is in check makes me think this is not going to be an amazing movie but a decent one
Funny enough some of the first Infinity War impressions were very mixed, but that ended up being a lot of people's favourite superhero movie last year.

Oct 31, 2017

I actually watched the video. It was.....interesting. The guy rambled on and took things way too personal. I also can't believe that video has 340K views and 12K likes. I should start just rambling and making youtube videos.

I'm saying all movies, not just Marvel movies. I remember early impressions for BvS, SS being good. And JL as pointed above.

Funny enough some of the first Infinity War impressions were very mixed, but that ended up being a lot of people's favourite superhero movie last year.

It's my favorite CBM ever.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually watched the video. It was.....interesting. The guy rambled on and took things way too personal. I also can't believe that video has 340K views and 12K likes. I should start just rambling and making youtube videos.

I'm saying all movies, not just Marvel movies. I remember early impressions for BvS, SS being good. And JL as pointed above.
But we all know that those were bs to some degree given DC's early track record. While marvel on the other head live up to their positive reaction. By a vast majority.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Always too many stellar impressions from the press who see this stuff early, probably because a lot of them feel grateful just for the chance. But I really do hope it's a good movie. I'm all up for 90's vibe...that's so hot right now!
This is an astoundingly stupid take. Reviewers who have been around the preview circuit a long time would be more jaded about seeing movies early, not less.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan

I think it's because people are wary of overhype with movies after seeing the same pattern over and over again. Going into a superhero movie thinking it's the next The Dark Knight based on impressions you read online only to end up watching a competent-but-just-alright movie kinda brings about disappointment. This has happened to me multiple times with Marvel movies (not always though). I actually end up enjoying movies that have bad impressions more due to tempered expectations half the time.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

It's my favorite CBM ever.

To be fair, the JL first impressions weren't as positive as these are.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Gotta be honest, I'm pretty surprised by all of the Talos praise we've seen considering how little he's in the trailers.

It's almost like they tried not to show much stuff in them so they'd not spoil anything in them or something. like I'd been saying in every trailer thread when people whined

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like they tried not to show much stuff in them so they'd not spoil anything in them or something. like I'd been saying in every trailer thread when people whined

Yea they definitely went out of their way to keep stuff under wraps for this one

Oct 31, 2017

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for Era's impressions of enjoying the film and as soon as it leaves theaters half of us will all of the sudden dislike the film.

No but seriously, I'm excited to see this in the Thursday screening with friends in a couple of weeks.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yea they definitely went out of their way to keep stuff under wraps for this one

The position that Marvel Studios has managed to put themselves in is nothing short of incredible.

They can market movies without showing much because the general audience has so much faith in them. And so far, it feels like Marvel hasn't taken advantage of that.

Most studios would kill to be in a place like this.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
But still positive for the turd that it was.

I'm not confusing anything.

Well, yeah, but that just means you calibrate based on what you know: That JL was a turd, and didn't get first impressions as good as this. Therefor, Captain Marvel is, at the very least, not a turd. I know we'd like better than that, but I don't think being pessemistic is justified either.