• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Seen James Earl Jones name attached. Happy about that. Shame they couldn't get Jeremy Irons to reprise Scar, but nevertheless Ejifor is gonna come with it like he always does.

If they are able to produced a Mufasa on the level they did with Shere Khan on Jungle Book, I'm more than sold.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can Donald Glover sing? I guess they can just have a singer do his songs if he can't.

Cool cast, lots of people with unique voices and manners of speaking.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It definitely has promise. I liked the Jungle Book a lot, so hopefully this will be great too. They're both two of my all-time favourite Disney movies.

I'm not sure of what to think about Beyonce or Key, and am not normally a fan of Eric Andre, but we'll see. They'll probably surprise me.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather have Jeremy Irons be back rather than James Earl Jones.

Although I wouldn't mind Liam Neeson...

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney would rather spend an extra billion and delay 2 years than release a bad Lion King. Disney may be the monolithic evil company but they know the deal with their jewels.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Dis gonna be good.

Star power is real. I had no interest in this movie till I saw this.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm kinda concerned about them getting JEJ back as Mufasa. I get why they did it, obviously, but his voice was clearly showing its age in what few lines Vader had in Rogue One. Mufasa is going to have a considerably larger number of lines than that, even with his early death in the film. There were absolutely other actors they could've gotten to replace him as Mufasa, just like with Scar and Zazu.

That said, I'm fond of this cast overall. Beyonce is sort of a reverse situation to what I had with Emma Watson being cast as Belle in the B&TB remake; there I figured Watson would be able to act as Belle but would struggle with the singing (and I ended up feeling a bit let down on her acting performance too tbh), whereas here I know Beyonce is going to rock the hell out of any and all songs that Nala sings in the film. If Favreau is smart, he brings over Shadowland over from the Broadway version so that Beyonce can have that solo moment. But like everyone else, I am a bit concerned about her acting.

Donald Glover though is a straight up improvement in every regard for Simba. He's going to own The Lion King.

His singing is....decent at best.

Lies and slander, yado!!! D:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
His singing is....decent at best.
giphy.gif

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
I want to see the effects. The uncanny valley is easier to dodge with animals. I bet they look so good. This is gonna be the one, I feel. This is gonna be the movie with effects that finally blur the line of what's real.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Childish Gambino is pretty great.

Better than the average bear wouldn't necessarily put his vocal ability above "decent." All kinds of recording artists with only decent voices have done musicals.

His voice is capable enough for this material regardless, looking at the movie and Broadway score.

ETA: He also ain't Emma Watson, who's voice I would call "decent," but who would get cast in community theatre production in blind audition because her thin, Soubrette couldn't be more against type for the character.

The guy from Toto sang Simba in the cartoon and in one song at that.

Last edited:

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Well she's only fractionally involved in her own music, so I'd be surprised to be honest if they needed her.

She wrote "Listen" for Dreamgirls, so expect her and her team to sneak in a similarly thematically inappropriate ballad at the climax of The Lion King somewhere.

It will be a pop smash.

ETA: The song Elton John wrote for Heather Headley's Nala serves the purpose, but is too theatrical. And Beyonce didn't put her signature commas on it, so it won't fly.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
My boy Gambino in on being fucking Simba. Ecstatic. Such a great casting angle and after how they handled Jungle Book I am very eager to see how Lion King turns out. Only racists are having such a fight over a "classic" being remade. Get the fuck out of here with that thinking when you are based IN THE FUCKING SOUTH AFRICAN REGION for your entire story.
???

The criticism about the remake literally has nothing to do with the casting. I think the casting is great (except for Beyonce, she's terrible), but the overall fact that this remake even exists is just weird. No one was asking for this, it's a very blatant cash grab.

Also, where are you getting from that The Lion King is based in the South African Region? South Africa looks nothing like The Lion King, I'd say The Lion King is probably situated in East Africa/Middle Africa. (but really, since they never mention the name of the country it doesn't really have a fixed location and it's more "generic African country", just like Aladdin is "generic Arabian country" and Jungle Book is "generic Asian county".)

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Im kinda iffy on Chiwetel Ejiofor and Billy Eichner's roles but otherwise, this voice cast is amazing!

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Okay but....A Bey X Gambino/Glover song is gonna be fire as fuck

The only good song Gambino ever released has his voice completely unrecognizable as it is pitched super high....

Man wrote a great tv series but he sucks as an artist still. Not that he'll be writing the lyrics to this stuff I'm guessing.

neferteetee

Oct 28, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I'm excited. I really enjoyed the Jungle Book and the Lion King is my favorite Disney film (with the Jungle Book as number 2). So I'll be in theatres in 2019 super excited I guess.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donald glover out here eatin.

Star wars. Spiderman. Lion king.

Hes gonna be in a eventual matrix remake as Tank, im calling it now.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
???

The criticism about the remake literally has nothing to do with the casting. I think the casting is great (except for Beyonce, she's terrible), but the overall fact that this remake even exists is just weird. No one was asking for this, it's a very blatant cash grab.

Also, where are you getting from that The Lion King is based in the South African Region? South Africa looks nothing like The Lion King, I'd say The Lion King is probably situated in East Africa/Middle Africa. (but really, since they never mention the name of the country it doesn't really have a fixed location and it's more "generic African country", just like Aladdin is "generic Arabian country" and Jungle Book is "generic Asian county".)
Oh this was just a general comment, not aimed at anyone specific. Mostly on Twitter and Facebook, people going crazy that a diverse cast has been given the reigns of Disney's most notable movie ever. And the African comment is subject to viewer, I felt it was South African but it could definitely be any "African" region.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
really strange that they brought James Earl Jones back but not the rest, will be a really weird disconnect. Will the soundtrack be recycled too from Zimmer?

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Cast is mostly great, not that I know what half of them do!

Sad that Scar has been changed, but this guy does have a good voice as it is, so I'm confident he'll give it a good take.

Would've liked Whoopie Goldberg back as well, actually.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, just to hear JEJ say "Simba...." in the clouds. It's one of my favourite movies but if they mess it up... Oh well! The original still exists, so whatevs!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Would be funnier if they made it live action, with people putting on a lion costume.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
James Earl Jones back as Mufasa is such a good call.

The nice thing is that even if he's older, he can still sound like a wise, old lion.

Plus, I really do just like The Lion King.