• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
VlkwpXp.jpg

Castle Rock starts Wednesday, July 25th. It is a psychological-horror series set in Stephen King's fictional town Castle Rock, Maine. It is planned as an anthology series and the first season will consist of 10 episodes.

Created by
Sam Shaw & Dustin Thomason

Executive Producers
J.J. Abrams & Stephen King

Cast:

Andre Holland as Henry Deaver
Melanie Lynskey as Molly Strand
Bill Skarsgard as Shawshank Prisoner
Jane Levy as Jackie
Sissy Spacek as Ruth Spacek

Trailer:

Reviews:

Collider said:
Castle Rock is a solid and engrossing horror series that should please hardcore King fans just as much as fans of Stranger Things, Channel Zero, and, to a lesser extent since it lacks the glam factor, American Horror Story.

Entertainment Weekly said:
Spending time here feels, in many ways, like coming home — with all the excitement and dread such a visit entails.

Indiewire said:
"Castle Rock" extricates itself from nostalgic traps while capitalizing on past stories to create a compelling new narrative filled with mysteries worthy of their muse.

Variety said:
"Castle Rock" will surely attract some die-hards, but, sketchily unfocused on the human scale, it is surprisingly inhospitable to casual visitors.

Vox said:
Great performances hold the series' moving parts together

TXfjDjr.jpg

kebNzDt.jpg

Vw2Y8MI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
Very much looking forward to this! Glad it got picked up in Canada and i can watch this as the same time as everyone in the US!

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great cast. Still considering whether to watch this week to week or binge over two weeks in Halloweeny season.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Marc Bernardin, of Fatman on Batman, is one of the writers for this. While I don't really like horror that has me interested.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Only a day out! Excitement!

Reminder: they're dropping the first three episodes on premiere day!

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Looks very cool. Wish there was some way to legally watch it in Canada. Unless there's some channel or service in Canada that picks up Hulu originals that I'm not aware of.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know which streaming provider, if any, will show this in Sweden?

EDIT: nevermind, saw that HBO Nordic will, yay!

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the first episode; I'm hooked. There were some great moments of suspense that created a sense of escalating dread throughout.
The exploration of the sealed section of the prison leading up to the discovery of the man in the cage was particularly tense. As was the scene in the camera room.
I'm so keen to finish the second two episodes, but my binging buddies could only watch one episode tonight.
I'm surprised John Locke didn't survive the first episode, but I'm assuming he'll still have a significant role to play via flashbacks.

Last edited:

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm anticipating the involvement of something alien given Henry's appearance or return was preceded by almost mechanical sounds. I actually thought a ship of some kind had flown above the lake; was Alan looking up at the sky, in awe, at that moment? It was also implied he went "somewhere" as he had no frostbite, despite being lost in the wilderness for eleven days.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Henry opening the fridge to all that canned B&M brown bread...brought a tear to my eye.

Really liked the first two episodes. The cast is great, from Andre Holland to Melanie Lynskey(who is always a welcome sight), all the way down to that guy from The Riches who is playing Zalenski, a lot of good people putting in good work. Plus we get some get the fun bits of intertexuality(which as a King fan is a treat considering how adaptations of his work erase all traces of that kind of stuff), and it has a nice deliberate pace(though I can understand if people find it a bit too slow).

One thing that really surprised me is that Needful Things apparently already happened in some manner, beforehand I would've bet money that Leland Gaunt would be the end game for the show.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the first ep, what the fuck is going on lol.

Anyway, best Stephen King show right? Because man, all the trash I've seen with his name attached to it, yikes.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the three. It's pretty good! Some elements are much stronger than others, but overall it's a strong opening, and really looking forward to more.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is starting tonight. The first three episodes are airing, then one next week.

I have been collecting Stephen King books and making an effort to read all of his stuff. I haven't read much yet. Will this show ruin and spoil things for me? I assume it's a dumb quesiton, but wanted to ask. I'd like to watch it tonight, but don't want to risk things.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first episode and it was AMAZING. I haven't been this glued to the screen since the first episode of Westworld. This show is shot so beautifully and everything is just oozing atmosphere and dread. I'm excited to watch more tomorrow.

This is starting tonight. The first three episodes are airing, then one next week.

I have been collecting Stephen King books and making an effort to read all of his stuff. I haven't read much yet. Will this show ruin and spoil things for me? I assume it's a dumb quesiton, but wanted to ask. I'd like to watch it tonight, but don't want to risk things.
No, it's not retelling any SK stories, as far as I'm aware. It's just dipping it's toes into the mythology he's built up over years of storytelling.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
never read any of stephen king's books, will i be able to enjoy this?
heard it's some stephen king horror universe or something

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Will be checking this out.

While 11.22.63 has nothing to do with this aside from King and JJ, the hype from that is making this a must watch for me.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
I'm heading out of work to get some wings and go watch this. Two episodes right now correct?

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
never read any of stephen king's books, will i be able to enjoy this?
heard it's some stephen king horror universe or something

It's set in the same universe as the events of a lot of the books, but it's not a requirement to enjoy it! It's more like little nods and easter eggs for those that have, and perfectly easy to follow for everyone that hasn't!

I'm heading out of work to get some wings and go watch this. Two episodes right now correct?

Three!

Oct 26, 2017

As far as I know, there's only one character in the show who also ppears in the actual SK books. Apart from knowing this character survives the book(s) they appear in, you should be alright (based on what we know so far)