• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people really want games to be exclusive to their console so they can count that at a "win" for their team.

Oct 26, 2017
If someone is so offended by this, it's simply because of their piece of plastic of choice not getting it but not carrying the other way. It's always the case
I have all of the pieces of plastics this generation, save for the Vita, and I also think something like the SEGA Ages games should also be on other systems, same as this. Plenty of other folk in this thread complaining about it also own other systems. Nice try, though

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
My previous post was to point out that Switch has its own exclusives too. For us gamers, ideally all third-party titles should be on all platforms but surely you guys realize that it's an unrealistic scenario right?
Sega Ages is probably on a tight budget, and probably comes from Sega looking at the Switch and wanting to port their back catalogue to it sooner than later. New console, new initiative. Still sucks that it's exclusive, but you can at least follow the logic. Castlevania ports being only on one platform would be harder to understand, unless there's really a specific reason (maybe the work they did for the PS Classic is just being dumped on the PSN or something).

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It 100% had an impact on their decision to revitalize the Castlevania franchise.
[citation needed]

I think more than anything the success of Bloodstained on Kickstarter and the success of Bomberman has convinced Konami to bring back some of their games again more than a solely American production that's been in development hell for a decade.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the people in here getting mad if this is a PS4 exclusive are going around and protesting switch exclusive games be ported to other systems and avoiding them until they are... Oh you aren't? Wow so much hypocrisy I guess.
which switch exclusives sis? show me

Some people really want games to be exclusive to their console so they can count that at a "win" for their team.
yep, some people are going to enjoy this too much

Are there rules on here about port begging because this is getting tedious now.
port begging of what, exactly? nothing has been announced, this is all speculation

Jan 11, 2018
I think more than anything the success of Bloodstained on Kickstarter and the success of Bomberman has convinced Konami to bring back some of their games again more than a solely American production that's been in development hell for a decade.

Indeed. Just like Mighty no. 9 most likely had a hand in Capcom deciding to bring back Mega Man.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Sega Ages is probably on a tight budget, and probably comes from Sega looking at the Switch and wanting to port their back catalogue to it sooner than later. New console, new initiative. Still sucks that it's exclusive, but you can at least follow the logic. Castlevania ports being only on one platform would be harder to understand, unless there's really a specific reason (maybe the work they did for the PS Classic is just being dumped on the PSN or something).
Well this could be on a tight budget too? Perhaps it's just a simple port running off PS4's PSP emulator?
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...l-usable-psp-emulator-hidden-in-ps4s-parappa/

Anyway, this is just assuming that it's a PS4 exclusive. As others have previously pointed out, a game rated for a single platform doesn't mean that it won't be available on other platforms as well.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

I don't have any inside information, I am just going off my feels here... but it is insane to think that this is going to be locked to PS4. Unless Sony is somehow directly involved, and they have come to an agreement with Konami, which I think is VERY unlikely, these games are going to be on the other consoles. Hell, even if the initial release is only on the PS4, if it sells even okayish they are going to look to make some more easy money on the Switch.

People even talking about platforms right now are being silly. There is likely nothing to worry about and we really don't have any solid information to go on at the moment.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Having played all the Igavanias, SotN is still the best due to the size, budget, and the inverted castle.
None of those things make a great game. Inverted castle was a nice surprise, although the requirements for it are awfully explained, and after the initial "wow! there's a lot more to explore" moment, you realize just how poorly designed it is, and I don't know how anyone can argue it isn't. It reminds me of the Julius mode in the portable versions, that is also incredibly poorly designed, but not mandatory at least.

Aria and Dawn are definitely the best exploration Castlevanias, and OoE is a great mix of old and new. The soul system in the Sorrow games is absolute genius and a great incentive to get you to know the monsters and complete the bestiary.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
What is this that sotn is not the best igavania?

Whats next, rondo of blood is not the best classicvania?

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
I really hope I don't have to unlock the version of Rondo I want to play. Yeah the remake fixes up some stuff, but i find the attempt to shoe-horn Rondo into SOTN's art style just didn't work. Just let me play the PC-engine version right off the bat. and emulate it better.

Sigh if this really does just end up being a release of the PSP game I might just skip it and stick with the VC version I have.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

There's never been a consensus on either. People have always made arguments for Dracula's Curse, Super IV, Bloodlines, the Sorrow games, Ecclesia, etc. It's like arguing which Zelda game is best, opinions are and have always been all over the map.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not that controversial of an opinion. playing it for the first time after playing aria/dawn/portrait/order, it definitely didn't feel like it was the best one

I really hope I don't have to unlock the version of Rondo I want to play. Yeah the remake fixes up some stuff, but i find the attempt to shoe-horn Rondo into SOTN's art style just didn't work. Just let me play the PC-engine version right off the bat. and emulate it better.
i'm 99.9% sure it won't be locked behind the remake. i'm not even sure if they'll bother including the remake, even tho i like it and i would like to have it in there, at least as an extra.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
When is the earliest we can expect an official announcement? Paris game week is in october so does that coincide with season2?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
When is the earliest we can expect an official announcement? Paris game week is in october so does that coincide with season2?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I would love a Castlevania Collection with all the games, but this is awesome anyway

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I just started DoS for the first time a couple days ago; enjoying it so far.

SotN was/is great. The only downside is that it's very easy.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SoTN is one of those games that I feel crazy for having never played, considering what I tend to go for and all the PS1 games I was playing at the time. I've had it as a PSOne classic for a while, it just hasn't been the right place or time for me really. Only CV game I've put more than 5 minutes into was Aria of Sorrow.

A new release would send it to the top of the queue for sure...but I also wonder if it will end up on the PS1 classic or whathaveyou. If it were released for all platforms that would be even better.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I'm pretty sure this is a PS2/PSP upressed re-release to PSN and considering it's already rated, it's going to drop really really soon.

Obviously it's digital only.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Oh shit, let's go baybee.

What? Come on dude, it won't give you any advantage as consumer. Let people from other platforms experience these classics especially because you know this is a third party game from a third party publisher

Considering how I was this close to buying the PSP collection for portable Rondo, I'd absolutely love it on Switch and would buy it there no problem. But I'm not going to lose sleep if it's on PS4/PC instead. Zone of the Enders was as well and I still have intentions of picking that up sooner or later. Hyper Sports R is Switch exclusive. Bomberman R took a year to get on PC and other platforms. Like it or not, Konami seems to really like exclusives lately and if the game's good and the system they put stuff out on is one I own, then I'll buy. I don't see folks being up in arms over Hyper Sports R not being a multiplat release when it's literally modern Track and Field, so I don't get why it not being on Switch at first would be the end of the world. It wouldn't. I'm just happy more people get to play the godlike Rondo of Blood, and the more platforms the merrier if that does come to be.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they're actually going to do a big "announcement" for this game, or if they're just going to stealth drop it digitally around Halloween?

Man do I hope "Castlevania: Requiem" is a brand (as some people here were guessing) and they're planning on releasing everything. I'm so sick of having to juggle like 8 different consoles to play through the series.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Just like Mighty no. 9 most likely had a hand in Capcom deciding to bring back Mega Man.
What a lot of people don't realize is decisions like Requiem, the mobile game, and whatever they has planned are made a good couple of years in advance, which would line up with Bloodstained's success, and I bet not wanting to risk one of their high profile former devs basically taking the brand with him would be a bigger incentive than the Netflix show. Though I suppose the Netflix show didn't hurt especially when it came to mind share.

Basically we're looking at another Mega Man situation yeah.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Ok Mr. Game Journalist it was the show.

I had a good theory going on though.
Your theory isn't super wrong. It wasn't the success of the show, but the show convinced a Konami that's been spinning back up to work on games again that there's validity to the Castlevania license. They made that decision in concert with the production of the first season, and the general feeling it was going to do well, rather than waiting to see how people reacted to it.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love if they at least added Bloodlines. Game's never seen a re-release

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

Personally, I'd say Dawn of sorrow or Portrait of Ruin for IGA and Dracula's Curse for classic.

The respective "GOAT" for each I can understand and respect, but they each have flaws I don't think elevate them above the games I mentioned, particularly Rondo. It's loved for a very good reason, but there is a certain lack of refinement that I always have a hard time putting my finger on. I can never, ever get behind someone saying Bloodlines, though. No idea what they're smoking when they say that. Similarly I love Ecclesia, but I played the everloving hell out of POR and still really enjoy it. SOTN has backtracking and bloat issues that the inverted castle ends up making even more apparent. To say nothing of it being horribly, horribly balanced as a game in general.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your theory isn't super wrong. It wasn't the success of the show, but the show convinced a Konami that's been spinning back up to work on games again that there's validity to the Castlevania license. They made that decision in concert with the production of the first season, and the general feeling it was going to do well, rather than waiting to see how people reacted to it.
Ah I see

Natsuko

Apr 9, 2018

How do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.