modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I feel like announcing this so early is just bound to end up repeating the same mistakes as with Cyberpunk, but i guess they still have investors to please.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully they take their time to make a game that has good combat and isn't just a giant pile of trash.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I can't wait to replay TW3 remastered now

Because they realized it's ass, I guess.
How is it ass? Out of all "engines" to call shit, theirs certainly isn't. It's just a massive undertaking to constantly overhaul and maintain an engine instead of just focusing on the game itself. See BOTW and many other games as examples

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
rip, end of an era

imagine building all these systems for Cyberpunk only for everything to get scrapped right afterwards lol

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I guess CP2077 was such a technical nightmare that they ditched the engine for good. I'm a little surprised they've been so stubborn about developing their own tech for so long. W3 turned out great, but W2 nearly bankrupted the company.

Partnership with Epic Games, so no steam release right?

It wouldn't shock me, given they could funnel players to either GOG or Epic

Oct 25, 2017
Should I read into them announcing this right before the end of the FY? But probably the usual trying to hire people announcement.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Agree with this timeline.

I would suspect they announced it this early (again) to appease investors, get those shares up.

Would be very curious this time to see how they handle the launch, if in 6 + years they will forget all about the cyberpunk launch or really learn from it.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
After they're done with Cyberpunk, they're throwing Red Engine in the dumpster lol.

They actually want to attract talent (hence switch to UE) after they bled so much it after their last disastrous release.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hope it's great.

That said, I refuse to pre-order based on how poorly Cyberpunk went for me as a console player.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Surprised they're switching engines. I wonder if they had technical issues during development of Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 and decided it best to abandon the engine. Disappointing though, the engine in Witcher 3 was incredibly well optimized and worked well for the game.

Regardless, let's hope they fix the transphobia of their studios above all else.

That, and I hope Ciri will be the protagonist or at least be involved

Jan 27, 2022
Good. BioWare is dropping Frostbite for the next Mass Effect. Unreal Engine 5 must be good for RPG devs, or at least better than what these devs were using.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if the official announcement will be tied to the next gen patch for Witcher 3

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
UE isn't as moddable as RED iirc

I know what engines and middleware are, what is involved in their development, and the benefits and drawbacks of using/not using them.

You mean externally moddable by the community or internally by CDPR? If the former I doubt they care and I don't think the latter is really true.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Kind of a "duh" statement since they own GOG and would never release a game without putting it out on there. That said, I don't think a GOG and EGS release (without Steam) is outside the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I guess they're referring to the fact they're no longer developing their own engine, or that UE4/5 is, by default, a shader compilation stutter nightmare on PC.

But the alternative is Cyberpunk which was a total disaster as a multiplatform game, at least with UE5 they can easily scale between platforms. It definitely makes sense for them.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
Not that happy as this should mean the new game is Epic exclusive on PC. But who knows on which platforms we're gaming on when this project releases in 6-7 years.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the school of the cat maybe?
I thought that too but looking at the cat medallion from the games this looks quite different so maybe it is an entirely new school.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
UE5 is probably good news. Their engine seemed to have been a huge problem for them but they have a ton of culture problems to sort out too. I dunno, we'll see.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I have high hopes that this game will turn out well and will mark the turnaround for the company. I doubt they'll make the same mistake twice and be overambitious. Plus, Witcher will be focused on exploration, which is easier to tackle for them than making sprawling cities that require years upon years of NPC behavior learning and city functioning. Rockstar only pulled it off with their games because it's what they're known for, plus they have a massive team to boot.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Even disregarding all the technical shit of CP2077, that game was mediocre as hell, so they have a lot to (re)prove.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Their engine must have been a mess for them to ditch it already. Moving to Unreal Engine 5 hopefully means this won't take forever to come out. Let's hope it turns out better than Cyberpunk.