• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say tho... I'm kind of annoyed by the fact that multiple staff members have now mentioned being "devastated" by finding out that BC is a shithead... As if the staff are in any way some kind of victims in this situation when in fact they were acting participants pouring gas on the fire...

Frankly, I find it really fucked up and insulting and I'm a privileged white cis dude so I can't even imagine how fucked up it must be for the Trans ERA community members that are still patient enough to hang out on ERA.
Indeed. They could have just listened to the transgender community, attempt to reach out to them at all instead of just ignoring them and making secret backroom deals where HE was the one asking to be banned and dictating all the terms, and everything, try reach out to the transgender community instead, who they've still yet to actually directly apologize to.

They could have just looked at his fucking ban history.

They could have done so many things.

They're in no way fucking victims, in any way whatsoever.

The staff are the reason he was able to be successful in what he set out to do, putting him above the transgender community and completely ignoring them and all the alarm bells they were trying to get across in favor of listening to him, him, him, for god knows what reason.

It was avoidable at so many points, way before any tweets were found or anything like that.

That it wasn't is purely on the staff and something they have to reckon with and do better about in the future, or else this is doomed to happen again.

Oct 14, 2019
Wow, the whole thing is awful. Personally, BC always seemed suspect to me, but I thought he was just a CDPR paid shill (which he might be too).

I mean, they dedicated their entire online persona the past few years to Cyberpunk 2077. Every post was the equivalent of an official CDPR-approved message. Regardless of whether they were planted or affiliated, they were essentially marketing the game via this forum.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that popped up after I was finished

What a pathetic waste of personal time that must have been, regardless. Coulda done anything else with his life.
These altright MAGAts literally live for this though, so they don't see it as a waste of anything if they ever get to own the libs. Especially even moreso now that they don't get to have their precious leader anymore in a month.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that I hope doesn't get lost is that Black Chamber's actions in stringing along trans members by not giving a straight "yes" response was enough in isolation to merit action against them. Their dismissive use of 💯 was enough for mods to act. All this explicit alt-right stuff seemed to have only been widely known after the fact, and unfortunately seems like is what it took to finally, finally get mods to realize their fuck-up. That is sad. What will OT vetting accomplish if said poster doesn't have undoubtable discriminatory Twitter posts or any history of bans? What will vetting do if the poster just sends nice messages directly to mods, and mods use that to ignore concerns from minorities? There is another reality where none of this explicit shit was ever unearthed and Black Chamber goes on to post their OP and further drives out our trans members while they fawn over their game for 30 days and come back a hero. I hope that bringing-up the clear as day alt-right shit doesn't make us forget that this situation should have been dealt with so much better even when looking at that single event in isolation.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Clown shoes
A slap on the wrist for someone who would rather look "neutral" than back up basic human rights? And two weeks for the person calling them out on their bullshit behavior? Staff definitely have their priorities straight.

Fuck Vestan and fuck Black Chamber

Quoting this because I think that given recent events since this post, I would hope that the staff looks at this permanent ban.

Definitely harsh but again, given what has happened since, might be worth taking another look at.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
These altright MAGAts literally live for this though, so they don't see it as a waste of anything if they ever get to own the libs. Especially even moreso now that they don't get to have their precious leader anymore in a month.

Yeah for them internally I'm sure it's a glorious "owning" or whatever, one to be spoken of in hushed whispers in their echo chambers

But externally god, it's just plain sad

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting this because I think that given recent events since this post, I would hope that the staff looks at this permanent ban.

Definitely harsh but again, given what has happened since, might be worth taking another look at.
I'll second this. If I'm unbanned (despite having less offenses, the post that actually got me banned was if anything more offensive than that, I fully admit, and here we are now that the staff has admitted their mistakes on that particular front and rectified that at least), no reason they shouldn't be.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it again but I really believe the staff needs to reach out to the trans community here and simply ask, "What do you believe we should do with Cyberpunk discussion and the OT?" And whatever they decide is what should happen.
I mean, the staff asked AsianEra what to do about the entire forum and look how that turned out.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I Wanted to come back to this thread for not taking the extra five seconds to better frame my thought so I didn't sound like an idiot that got slapped with a two week ban and it everyone owed the apology apparently isn't even here anymore.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

Yup that should be reversed... I doubt it will but it totally should

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I still can't believe we almost allowed someone who asked to put nazi imagery into games make an OT and really try to divide the community

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I genuinely hope the mods are ashamed with who they decided to side with in this situation. The fact that there hasn't even been an ATTEMPT at an apology and mods are acting like they were somehow blindsided by this and that the MAGA stuff is somehow their FIRST indicator that this guy was horrible and, let's be real, transphobic, is disgusting. Tons of people were rightfully calling BC out and got shat on for it and mods sided with those people. I don't know how they aren't fucking ashamed.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it again but I really believe the staff needs to reach out to the trans community here and simply ask, "What do you believe we should do with Cyberpunk discussion and the OT?" And whatever they decide is what should happen.
I think it's pretty clear at this point that an OT shouldn't happen. The staff has proven that they are utterly incapable of facilitating the kind of discussion that would be needed if there was an OT.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the whole thing is awful. Personally, BC always seemed suspect to me, but I thought he was just a CDPR paid shill (which he might be too).

It's weird, man. I'm used to being around people who are super enthusiastic about something, be it games or movies or anime, but even when they talk about the thing they loved 24/7 they still have their own voice. Like here we have Joe who is super enthusiastic about Pokemon, owns a Pokemon website for more than a decade, and sometimes got a bit too heated to defend Pokemon, but it's still his voice. You can tell there's a genuine person behind his posts and tweets. BC's posts and tweets reads very...sterile? Like a brand whose only objective is to spread the hype of its own product and avoid anything that can be perceived as negative or controversial. The only time BC's post/tweet sounds like an actual person was, ironicaly, when BC tweeted the MAGA stuff. I got a feeling that BC got a sense of pride when the multiple OTs are still up and populated when there are voices of concern on this thread. The louder the concern is, the more prideful it felt, because you got this far despite the protests.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I think it's pretty clear at this point that an OT shouldn't happen. The staff has proven that they are utterly incapable of facilitating the kind of discussion that would be needed if there was an OT.

I agree. But I do think it needs to be decided by the trans community on Era. I know there are members of the community that believe there should be an OT but if the majority disagrees, that should be that.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
It was clear Black Chamber subsumed his persona into the game itself, such that all the work and hype created for the game would give him defense against others calling him out, which lead all the way up to the mods falling for it.

It was really insidious, but the mods aren't the victims either. They are literally in the position of power that allows them to do the background check and research, and yet here we are, someone else having to bring to light what was going on before it got too far.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
i was watching some leaked footage and heard a radio ad about that chromanticore drink that tripled down on the messaging, so yeah, still there

i can send someone the link and timestamp if they're curious

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, man. I'm used to being around people who are super enthusiastic about something, be it games or movies or anime, but even when they talk about the thing they loved 24/7 they still have their own voice. Like here we have Joe who is super enthusiastic about Pokemon, owns a Pokemon website for more than a decade, and sometimes got a bit too heated to defend Pokemon, but it's still his voice. You can tell there's a genuine person behind his posts and tweets. BC's posts and tweets reads very...sterile? Like a brand whose only objective is to spread the hype of its own product and avoid anything that can be perceived as negative or controversial. The only time BC's post/tweet sounds like an actual person was, ironicaly, when BC tweeted the MAGA stuff. I got a feeling that BC got a sense of pride when the multiple OTs are still up and populated when there are voices of concern on this thread. The louder the concern is, the more prideful it felt, because you got this far despite the protests.
Everything he posted was as calculated as possible in every way. Down to him constantly using emojis like 🤟 that made him try to seem almost like Keanu himself or something. Just a "cool bro" letting everyone know how awesome and badass their game is.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Indeed. They could have just listened to the transgender community, attempt to reach out to them at all instead of just ignoring them and making secret backroom deals where HE was the one asking to be banned and dictating all the terms, and everything, try reach out to the transgender community instead, who they've still yet to actually directly apologize to.

They could have just looked at his fucking ban history.

They could have done so many things.

They're in no way fucking victims, in any way whatsoever.

The staff are the reason he was able to be successful in what he set out to do, putting him above the transgender community and completely ignoring them and all the alarm bells they were trying to get across in favor of listening to him, him, him, for god knows what reason.

It was avoidable at so many points, way before any tweets were found or anything like that.

That it wasn't is purely on the staff and something they have to reckon with and do better about in the future, or else this is doomed to happen again.
I genuinely feel like a discussion should be have with era and staff about ways to prevent this in the future. And as I said in the community thread I think one of the best ways to do this is to open up a line of communication to the community as a whole. I am pretty optimistic that this can be accomplished and I have a feeling staff will eventually reach out to us sooner or later. What's been fucked up has been fucked up and like you said we gotta start rebuilding and helping era get through this as much as possible. I think that line starts with more staff communications and perhaps an apology down the line. I honestly just want era to do better than it has been with this situation and don't want anyone else to leave because of this stuff.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
i was watching some leaked footage and heard a radio ad about that chromanticore drink that tripled down on the messaging, so yeah, still there

I'm curious to see/hear that.

the game really did just go, "whoa, cool future" after all, didn't it?

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020

I would also like the link, I remember people playing the game saying the game doesn't address the fetishization in the main missions but unless there's a side mission about taking down the ads? This would just reinforce it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

If they went out of their way to record VO and write dialogue then it really can't be claimed that the poster was a one-off (which was already spurious considering they printed it out IRL). It basically a mini-marketing campaign.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
I'd also appreciate being sent a link.
If they went out of their way to record VO and write dialogue then it really can't be claimed that the poster was a one-off (which was already spurious considering they printed it out IRL). It basically a mini-marketing campaign.
I would also like the link, I remember people playing the game saying the game doesn't address the fetishization in the main missions but unless there's a side mission about taking down the ads? This would just reinforce it.
I'm curious to see/hear that.

the game really did just go, "whoa, cool future" after all, didn't it?

I'd like you to link it to me also

ok im posting it in here cuz yall are blowing up my inbox

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Wild they can look up forum histories of users perfectly well when they're criticizing the staff, but this somehow didnt happen with Black Chamber. Awful look for the moderation team in light of everything

Last edited:

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a few days since I logged onto Era and I wanted to thank everyone that recommended Trans-fuzja, sent a donation over their way.

Looks like a lot of shit went down and I'll have to catch up, but I wish the best to all trans members on Era. You all deserve a place that sees and hears you and it appears that Era keeps dropping the ball on that front.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I'm not gonna go after the staff, since I understand the desire to hope for the best from posters, even if they may have fucked up in the past. Even if I personally think BC had more than shown himself to be far past the point of impartiality with ANYTHING pertaining to CP2077, I get it. The staff have a hard job, and even something as seemingly simple as writing a staff response is a challenge.

But what I hope this whole situation does do...is make the staff, and the Era community at large, rethink how we want to handle hype moving forward. How we want to handle these kinds of microcosmic gaming subcommunities for unreleased games. If we really need a million threads for every game, for every trailer, for every news interview, for every Digital Foundry comparison, for every metacritic aggregate.

We need to seriously reevaluate how we, as a community, allow hype and marketing to influence us. We need to look at the elements of old GAF culture that we brought with us when we moved over here and think about if all of it is really necessary to keep around. We need to think about what parts of Era make us safer and more inclusive as a community, and which elements make us more exclusive and cliquey and toxic.

I don't think this is going to be quick and I don't think it's going to be easy. But I think it's necessary.

I just want to second all of this, while also focusing a bit on the staff part:

I have a lot of mixed feelings on staff messages. They often come across considered to the point of losing authenticity, despite the palpable exhaustion from trying to show they care. I used Fat4all as a dogwhistle in my intro post so anyone who clicked where I quoted his post would be taken to the Trans Awareness week thread from 2019. It's a thread I read while lurking that showed me how passionate this community was toward its members who were wronged or left behind. It's what made me actually want to join so I could add my voice when something like that happened.

However, I do think staff and Sophia deserve some benefit of the doubt. I've played a lot of Mafia/Werewolf and also grew up around manipulative people. Some things stick out to me as immediately revealing despite lacking the key to decipher what it was revealing. Enter these two posts by Black Chamber and Vestan:

vestan said:
Black Chamber said:
Yes, I do.

I greatly respect and acknowledge Kyuuji's right to express her views on the criticism aspect of the situation; likewise, I would like the same respect for my right to express my views on the amicable discussion aspect of it.

I agree with her post - the OP in that thread details a company that has faltered as much as they have made great strides. A discussion regarding their use of transgender imagery/crunch and how CD Projekt Red has been handling it is absolutely something that should be had and engaged with for anyone that feels the need to speak on the subject. This thread is for anyone that just wants to talk about the game itself, being excited to finally play it and their general impressions of the thread's topic - the latest Night City WIRE episode.

I am staying out of that thread, because due to my Cyberpunk 2077 post history, I don't think it would go very well no matter what I said - and I agree with the grievances. 2020 has been abysmal, but I don't think that being dogpiled on for making the case of just wanting to play this game while simultaneously agreeing with the issues at hand would make things any better. Again, I have a deep respect for what she has written in that thread and it and the discussion it brings absolutely belong here - but I do not like users from that thread coming in here and shaming myself and others just because we are excited to play this game and want to have a discussion regarding it.

As for the proposals of banning all discussion of Cyberpunk 2077 - including it's OT; I don't think that solves anything except silencing voices that are singularly trying to enjoy the excitement of an upcoming game they have been eagerly anticipating. This thread, as with the upcoming OT are in no way barring the discussion of these issues, or by their very existence trying to insult the trans community; nor are they implying that crunch is acceptable - they are simply meant to discuss the game itself and the excitement that may bring.

If anyone feels strongly about the issues presented in the other thread, they should feel free to voice their opinion and add their comment in here - as long as it doesn't involve personally attacking anyone for being excited for the game. If anyone wants to just discuss the game and leave the issues in the other thread - that is acceptable as well.

This is becoming a warzone and it's not right. I want everyone to get along and agree with both sides of this. Is CD Projekt Red tonedeaf regarding trans issues? Does their management condone crunch culture? That's a big yes to both - but before I knew any of that, I was excited for this game and before I knew this game was even being made - I was in love with the Cyberpunk genre and it is very difficult to just turn that off.

If, at some point I decide that the issues outweigh the excitement for me; then I will happily join in the discussion in the other thread. As of right now, I am just trying to remain positive in all aspects of life and there's a lot of negativity going on in there and some of it is bleeding over into this thread now.

Again, I just wish everyone could get along and see both sides of the issue amicably.

As sound a response you could get imho

Me and Black Chamber have been talking for a long time now and he's a fucking class act. The amount of shit I've seen flung his way just because he's excited for Cyberpunk is absurd and unwarranted. I understand tensions are high and these concerns fully deserve to be raised but attacking other users just ain't the play. We aren't enemies here.

I don't want to derail this thread any further so I'll end with this:

Since we're doing the OT, feel free to DM us @Sophia and let us know of the decision staff come up with 👍

This could be a very understanding and self-critical post that shows nothing but good intentions about a hard situation. It could also be seen as a way to manipulate others into believing that's true. Knowing what we do now I think the manipulation is obvious. However, I'll explain a bit more:

Black Chamber is mimicking the tone of a staff post, acknowledging and addressing his silence in a way that makes it seem logical. Enough to possibly gloss over the warzone rhetoric which is a major red flag. But what actually allows the red flag to be glossed over is vestan stepping in to both say he's had conversations with Black Chambers with the unspoken implication being that they've had discussions about CDPR's transphobia in private and associates his stance that Black Chamber is getting piled on based on those unseen conversations. He then tags Sophia and says to DM "us" to discuss whatever decision the staff come up with. Considering how exhausted staff is, especially with this game, this probably came off as a massive relief. It's a great mafia play as despite being very obvious, it's something you want to risk if it means one less thing to think about. And that allows them into the staffs good graces.

It's a human error. It's easy to see now, but in the moment it's easy to overlook especially if you're going through things others don't understand that make you feel like you're not being heard. This is why listening is so important.

I hope people read between the lines here or I'm being too subtle about who I'm talking to and who they should apply that same benefit of the doubt to, because TransEra needs no reminder of something they go through daily in life and not just on a forum. (Although stress online also steeps into life and is unavoidable to everyone. That is undeniably real and I'm not trying to say staff's pain is less. Simply that if things get too stressful, you can always step down or take a break, even if that carries undeserving guilt from leaving a mess for others. You can't just stop being trans, even if you physically hide it. That's the thing about anyone queer. It doesn't stop for us.)

*breathes*

THANK FUCK MY POST WAS SAVED SINCE I IGNORED THE MANY WARNINGS MY PHONE WAS GOING TO DIE UNTIL IT DID YES I KNOW THE IRONY SHUDDUP

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017

In some of the leaked footage, you can then go find the vending machines in the world.

And that poster is on every. Single. One of them.

And I saw the poster multiple times in the leak I saw, just from freeroam. They made it unavoidable

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Everything he posted was as calculated as possible in every way. Down to him constantly using emojis like 🤟 that made him try to seem almost like Keanu himself or something. Just a "cool bro" letting everyone know how awesome and badass their game is.

I don't know in other countries, but in mine, emojis like that (and particularly the high five/prayer thingy) has been overused with the intention of putting yourself above others (e.g. look at how calm I am why you are getting angry, why don't we chill :) ) AND being used by brands because their voice are toneless otherwise. If I see a person tweeting like that I would not engage them.

Just my two cents :) <-- see how this can feel ingenuine in a thread where people are demanding the administration to listen to marginalized voice.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
ok im posting it in here cuz yall are blowing up my inbox

Yea, so just like we all thought.
I don't know in other countries, but in mine, emojis like that (and particularly the high five/prayer thingy) has been overused with the intention of putting yourself above others (e.g. look at how calm I am why you are getting angry, why don't we chill :) ) AND being used by brands because their voice are toneless otherwise. If I see a person tweeting like that I would not engage them.

Just my two cents :) <-- see how this can feel ingenuine in a thread where people are demanding the administration to listen to marginalized voice.
Pretty much. Adding in any of those emojis purposely in times where people want serious answers and discussions is a total red flag.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alt right trolls live to destroy minorities so maybe when minority groups feel something is off listen to them and don't throw them under the bus next time

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Here's what confuses me: why would Black Chamber want to have to hide his MAGA affiliation, for all this time? Why would you post on a forum full of libs, dude? Don't you look down upon us? Isn't it stressful to have to constantly hide your true opinions?

I just don't get it. What was it about ResetEra that made you wanna blend in? All that, just to talk about Cyberpunk, which you can do literally anywhere else?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but even before that came out, this happened 2 years ago.
www.resetera.com

RobinGaming: The Naughty Dog "Agenda" - An Honest, Open Conversation

I saw this in my YouTube feed tonight and I decided to watch it. What's on display here is very interesting. The points that he brings up are valid in the casual discussion sense; but he keeps tap dancing through the minefield in such a way that I question why he even made this video in the...

I never noticed BC (because I had him blocked) until this thread's conversations about him over the last 2 months. I probably blocked him in the first place because of this thread that he posted.

Just to add, I think everyone who congratulated BC in the other thread should all apologise for being stupid and ignoring the concerns of TransEra.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to send all my love to the people here before I crash. It's been a rough weekend on top of an already rough stretch of months here. I'm so glad BC got exposed, even if it should never have gotten to this point in the first place. I truly hope this incident will spark positive change and real communication between the wonderful trans community here and the mods.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what confuses me: why would Black Chamber want to have to hide his MAGA affiliation, for all this time? Why would you post on a forum full of libs, dude? Don't you look down upon us? Isn't it stressful to have to constantly hide your true opinions?

I just don't get it. What was it about ResetEra that made you wanna blend in? All that, just to talk about Cyberpunk, which you can do literally anywhere else?
To literally try to tear era apart from the inside as a trojan horse.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To cause chaos. To cause divisions. To cause schisms in the community. To get people to fight, and get people banned, and get people to leave, all in a longgame to "own the libs."

Which they were unfortunately successful at, due to the staff prioritizing him over the concerns of the transgender community.

If they were honest, they wouldn't be able to do any of that and would just get banned.

They played the long game instead. And were rewarded for it, and it worked, even if they're gone now. The damage is done, and who knows how long it will take to fix.

Staff apology

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
So, tonight was an unpleasant shock, to say the least. After taking stock of things I want to apologize on behalf of the team, particularly to the trans community. Black Chamber was able to fool us and in hindsight he shouldn't have been able to get as far as he did. This was a massive oversight on our part, and one that's completely unacceptable on our behalf.

When the staff initially approached Black Chamber about how we were planning to handle the Cyberpunk OT and other threads, we expected a confrontation with a superfan. We were surprised when he said all the right things and seemed very eager to cooperate. It was the kind of attitude we wished more fans of controversial media would have. Because of this, we did not do the due diligence that we might otherwise have done, and we missed or accepted explanations for red flags that should've cost him the benefit of the doubt.

I know it must be incredibly frustrating for the members who raised concerns about Black Chamber that not only were they not heeded, he turned out to be even worse than anyone knew - but many of you clearly suspected, and we should've listened. This is especially true in regards to the trans members of the community, who openly voiced their concerns and were talked down to, instead of being heard. We know the community relies on us to catch this kind of thing, and in this case we fucked up, plain and simple. Again, I apologize for that.

Apologies require action, to ensure that mistakes are not repeated. Going forward, as we noted earlier, due diligence will be done in the future when this kind of situation arises. No exceptions. We haven't made a habit of digging for members' social media in the past, but when serious suspicion exists that's going to become more regular. We are very determined that this sort of incident will never happen again. We will be personally handling OTs for controversial releases, and we will be vetting the entire contents of them and running them by the appropriate minority staff. And once more, from myself, and from everybody else on the team: We're sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On that note, I have taken a personal initiative to reach out to TransEra and start discussions with them. Their concerns were not heard. As a trans woman, and as a person in a position of power, I have failed them on this, and I wish to make that right. I am hoping we will be able to have a direct line of communication with TransEra so their concerns are heard.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, tonight was an unpleasant shock, to say the least. After taking stock of things I want to apologize on behalf of the team, particularly to the trans community. Black Chamber was able to fool us and in hindsight he shouldn't have been able to get as far as he did. This was a massive oversight on our part, and one that's completely unacceptable on our behalf.

When the staff initially approached Black Chamber about how we were planning to handle the Cyberpunk OT and other threads, we expected a confrontation with a superfan. We were surprised when he said all the right things and seemed very eager to cooperate. It was the kind of attitude we wished more fans of controversial media would have. Because of this, we did not do the due diligence that we might otherwise have done, and we missed or accepted explanations for red flags that should've cost him the benefit of the doubt.

I know it must be incredibly frustrating for the members who raised concerns about Black Chamber that not only were they not heeded, he turned out to be even worse than anyone knew - but many of you clearly suspected, and we should've listened. This is especially true in regards to the trans members of the community, who openly voiced their concerns and were talked down to, instead of being heard. We know the community relies on us to catch this kind of thing, and in this case we fucked up, plain and simple. Again, I apologize for that.

Apologies require action, to ensure that mistakes are not repeated. Going forward, as we noted earlier, due diligence will be done in the future when this kind of situation arises. No exceptions. We haven't made a habit of digging for members' social media in the past, but when serious suspicion exists that's going to become more regular. We are very determined that this sort of incident will never happen again. We will be personally handling OTs for controversial releases, and we will be vetting the entire contents of them and running them by the appropriate minority staff. And once more, from myself, and from everybody else on the team: We're sorry.
Requoting myself from previous pages: Since the staff intent is not to ban discussion on the game, i would like to know if discussion will be limited to the OT and this thread. That hype thread i don't see (or should it) getting re-opened. The spoiler thread will remain locked too?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just want to second all of this, while also focusing a bit on the staff part:

I have a lot of mixed feelings on staff messages. They often come across considered to the point of losing authenticity, despite the palpable exhaustion from trying to show they care. I used Fat4all as a dogwhistle in my intro post so anyone who clicked where I quoted his post would be taken to the Trans Awareness week thread from 2019. It's a thread I read while lurking that showed me how passionate this community was toward its members who were wronged or left behind. It's what made me actually want to join so I could add my voice when something like that happened.

However, I do think staff and Sophia deserve some benefit of the doubt. I've played a lot of Mafia/Werewolf and also grew up around manipulative people. Some things stick out to me as immediately revealing despite lacking the key to decipher what it was revealing. Enter these two posts by Black Chamber and Vestan:

This could be a very understanding and self-critical post that shows nothing but good intentions about a hard situation. It could also be seen as a way to manipulate others into believing that's true. Knowing what we do now I think the manipulation is obvious. However, I'll explain a bit more:

Black Chamber is mimicking the tone of a staff post, acknowledging and addressing his silence in a way that makes it seem logical. Enough to possibly gloss over the warzone rhetoric which is a major red flag. But what actually allows the red flag to be glossed over is vestan stepping in to both say he's had conversations with Black Chambers with the unspoken implication being that they've had discussions about CDPR's transphobia in private and associates his stance that Black Chamber is getting piled on based on those unseen conversations. He then tags Sophia and says to DM "us" to discuss whatever decision the staff come up with. Considering how exhausted staff is, especially with this game, this probably came off as a massive relief. It's a great mafia play as despite being very obvious, it's something you want to risk if it means one less thing to think about. And that allows them into the staffs good graces.

It's a human error. It's easy to see now, but in the moment it's easy to overlook especially if you're going through things others don't understand that make you feel like you're not being heard. This is why listening is so important.

I hope people read between the lines here or I'm being too subtle about who I'm talking to and who they should apply that same benefit of the doubt to, because TransEra needs no reminder of something they go through daily in life and not just on a forum. (Although stress online also steeps into life and is unavoidable to everyone. That is undeniably real and I'm not trying to say staff's pain is less. Simply that if things get too stressful, you can always step down or take a break, even if that carries undeserving guilt from leaving a mess for others. You can't just stop being trans, even if you physically hide it. That's the thing about anyone queer. It doesn't stop for us.)

*breathes*

THANK FUCK MY POST WAS SAVED SINCE I IGNORED THE MANY WARNINGS MY PHONE WAS GOING TO DIE UNTIL IT DID YES I KNOW THE IRONY SHUDDUP

This also makes me wonder about Vestan.

And on the topic of mod posts, I don't know why but I get the feeling from the beginning that there were deliberate intentions to make mod posts less personal and more clinical instead? Like it was deliberately done to make mods less of like the personalities we had with some mods were back in Gaf. I don't really agree because it makes them and their mod posts sound like they are PR statements, which to some extent, they are.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

That's a good first step...

Now how about some actual accountability for the staff?

I have never had a job (or any kind of position with responsibilities) in my life where I could screw up this badly and this often and still get away with it by posting a few lines of apologies afterward every single time.

At some point it stops being a simple screw up and starts being a pattern...

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This also makes me wonder about Vestan.

Vestan made so many posts defending Black Chambers character, and from all his posts it seems like they talked a lot.

www.resetera.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Night City WIRE: Episode 5 |OT| Time moves in one direction, memory in another [Media Impressions, Console Footage & Discussion] OT

This is now the second time people have openly taken potshots at Black Chamber 's character. Listen. Me, Black Chamber and Sophia have been working closely on this OT ever since Kyuuji 's thread went up. We even approached Android Sophia first regarding CDPR's transphobia and the OT. She can...

www.resetera.com

CDPR is a transphobic company. It's time we stop making excuses for them.

Had we proudly announced that we would be acknowleding the transphobia in the OT of this game, we probably would have been accused of being performatively woke or something as at the end of the day, we're still working on the OT of this game. Considering I haven't said anything on this...