• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sorry I didnt see that in the few reviews I read?
You mentioned the Gamespot review and even posted a thread about it..
The ads are one of many, many aesthetic choices in Cyberpunk 2077 that are grating with no real point. There's one ad in particular that was the topic of much discussion pre-release; it features a feminine person with a giant, exaggerated, veiny erection in their leotard and advertises a drink called Chromanticore with the tagline "mix it up." It is everywhere. And while the "purpose" of it may be to show what a sex-obsessed, superficial, exploitative place Night City is, there's nothing in the main story or any of the side quests I did that gives it even that much context--I found just one message on one of the many computers I logged into that commented on how low-brow Night City culture is.
The result is that there's a fetishization of trans people at every turn, in a game with only one very minor trans character (that I found, at least) and no way to play as an authentically trans character yourself.
www.gamespot.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Review

Cyberpunk 2077 has standout side quests and strong main characters, though its buggy, superficial world and lack of purpose bring it down.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
User banned (1 month): Trolling in a thread on transphobia over multiple posts.
Please even read some of this thread before just coming in to discuss review scores. This is not the place for that and is only creating an atmosphere where trans users might feel talked over or ignored. This forum is deciding what to do about Cyberpunk threads after Black Chamber antagonized and gaslighted people for a very long time. This is not a hype thread.

This is where the mod redirected me for discussion? I think there must have been some mistake

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So reviews are coming out for this!

old.reddit.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Review Megathread

Cyberpunk 2077 is a role-playing video game developed by CD Projekt RED and published by CD Projekt S.A. This subreddit has been created by fans...

IGN gave it a 9, Gamespot a 7. Consensus seems to be that the game is buggy, but otherwise deep and engaging.

This is embarrassing.

Sorry I didnt see that in the few reviews I read?

So you didn't read the GameSpot review that talks about some of these issues, despite the fact that your post mentioned the GameSpot review?

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Nothing will chance if Era still want to please everyone.

Since THQ which their 8Chan incident.
It's show that most people in here only care about game.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
there isn't going to be an OT lol.

I mean no way one can be made after all of this and expect it to be civil. Go elsewhere to discuss the game probably

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Lol nothing stops the hype train for people. People being able to act so flagrantly ignorant in the actual thread about Transphobia… And yet the trans community has to STILL deal with it , calmly deal with it like good boys and girls. Heaven forbid they say anything unsavory or else they'll be banned for being "uncivil" .

People complaining about the " atmosphere" being so negative or hostile, gee I wonder why? All over a video game. I still would love to know why BChamber was so protected versus an entire community. I can't imagine the real reasons will ever come out.

I was directed here by a mod. It wasnt my call.

Li1quid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
User banned (permanent): troll account
I really think banning a proper discussion about one of the biggest game launches is not helping anyone.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This is where the mod redirected me for discussion? I think there must have been some mistake

This is a thread to discuss the transphobia present in the game and from the company. There was a review thread specifically about reviews that covered this transphobia that was closed because people would not respect the wishes of the trans users here after a very very bad weekend where the Cyberpunk OT creator antagonized the trans community and was later perma banned for a history of homophobia and alt right stuff. So right now the trans community is very sensitive, and mods seem to be discussing with them what to do about this game going forward.

If you want to talk about any of the reviews that talk about the issues of transphobia that's absolutely welcome, but it really isn't a place to ask about when there will be normal hype threads. My advice is to PM a mod about that. I also encourage everyone who is just coming onto this thread for the first time to read the OP and check out the threadmarked posts, they are very well written.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
The mods said they would make a text only cyberpunk OT yesterday, but they haven't made one yet.
Yeah B-Dubs will be making it apparently. I don't think we know when though. I kinda hope it's sooner rather than later so we can avoid anymore confusion.
I think the mods said they'll make it themselves now?

I see, but all of this was before the whole review thread fiasco where we had users coming in to say things like "I love this company and it looks like they made another great game" with more blind hype before it was locked. Not sure how the OT will be handled when things like this keep popping up.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It has certainly been mentioned already but this review by Carolyn Petit for Polygon is just really damn good and I highly recommend everyone check it out.

An excerpt:

www.polygon.com

Cyberpunk 2077 is dad rock, not new wave

CD Projekt Red’s open-world game does not exactly have a futuristic worldview

The entire review is worth reading. Quality as always.

This is a really insightful review that takes on the game with a critical eye about how it easily could have been so much more, but wasn't.

It also doesn't ignore the main subject of this forum topic and how disappointing it is, even in the eyes of someone who could recognize other things the game did well.

Nov 4, 2017
Wow, people are really complaining about not having a "comfortable space" to discuss this game? In this thread? I can't even. The irony is so delicious, it's giving me diabetes.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I saw online that for video reviews that reviewers couldn't use their own footage until the day 1 patch hits? What kind of narrative controlling thing is that?

This and the transphobia, fuck CDPR.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I only skim read it lol. I see now they were critical of the game. Maybe it should be allowed to be discussed?
And plenty of people are discussing the contents of the critical reviews that mention the representation issues the game has here! There just is any hype "omg look 10/10" going on right now for a reason.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
This is a thread to discuss the transphobia present in the game and from the company. There was a review thread specifically about reviews that covered this transphobia that was closed because people would not respect the wishes of the trans users here after a very very bad weekend where the Cyberpunk OT creator antagonized the trans community and was later perma banned for a history of homophobia and alt right stuff. So right now the trans community is very sensitive, and mods seem to be discussing with them what to do about this game going forward.

If you want to talk about any of the reviews that talk about the issues of transphobia that's absolutely welcome, but it really isn't a place to ask about when there will be normal hype threads. My advice is to PM a mod about that. I also encourage everyone who is just coming onto this thread for the first time to read the OP and check out the threadmarked posts, they are very well written.

How do I PM a mod?

I didn't know everything that went down during the weekend, I just was looking for a place to discuss the reviews that are coming out and was redirected here.

KepperC

Jul 17, 2020
I think it's disturbing and insensitive the moderators seem to want to turn this thread into the main one for the game.

Sep 12, 2018
Hasan Piker currently roasting the devs for tying pronouns to voice, nice to see him keep his hype for the game in check because he's reading Carolyn's Polygon review on stream too.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The last few pages show exactly why discussion of the game should be banned.

A paragraph, whether you pin it to the top of the page or the bottom of the page or the middle of the page is going to be ignored. It will do nothing.

No one is reading staff posts and that wouldn't change in an OT. If they were, you wouldn't have a constant barrage of "Hey guys, where's the OT/Review Thread?!"

Keep this thread open for this topic and ban other discussion regarding the game.

If minority/marginalized members genuinely wish to discuss the game, maybe open a Discord channel and heavily moderate it.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
How do I PM a mod?

I didn't know everything that went down during the weekend, I just was looking for a place to discuss the reviews that are coming out and was redirected here.

You're either being disingenuous or the mods are absolutely failing at their jobs right now because there is no way hyyyype review scores should be discussed in this thread.unbelievable

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Make a OT so a bunch of chuds can come in there to continue to dismiss the concerns of trans people, already got a taste of that on the review thread and now in here.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
How do I PM a mod?

Find a mod post and click start a conversation with them I guess? I've never done it, but this is absolutely not a thread to do this in. Too many people are coming in here and just antagonizing a community that has been through enough. This game might not even get an OT because people seem to be unable to discuss it while being disrespectful to trans community. I'm saying that's you, but it's happening a lot right now so please try to empathize with why people seem very frustrated right now.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I think it's disturbing and insensitive the moderators seem to want to turn this thread into the main one for the game.
I still don't understand why having an ot/review thread is more important than standing up for the trans community.

There's a bunch of sites to talk about this game, pick one of the many.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I see, but all of this was before the whole review thread fiasco where we had users coming in to say things like "I love this company and it looks like they made another great game" with more blind hype before it was locked. Not sure how the OT will be handled when things like this keep popping up.
I'm sure the staff will figure something out. People are allowed to be excited for the game obviously. They will just have to police the obvious trolls and try to keep things civil. But considering how many members will be playing the game I don't see how we wouldn't have an OT. The discussions would just bleed into other parts of the forum and it's communities. The staff would be better off just making the OT so the discussion can be isolated there.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I really think banning a proper discussion about one of the biggest game launches is not helping anyone.

This is an obvious troll post, but it's a good example why discussion of the game should be banned.

Because the amount of actual discussion is almost always small, versus the amount of trolls, drive-by posting, and people who are angry that their favourite video game is being criticized and don't actually want to discuss anything.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know a lot of people here will say "of course" but I really am surprised by the seemingly complete lack of trans characters, or even explorations of capitalist and gender themes in a cyberpunk game. I still had a small sliver of faith they'd pull through on that stuff. Disappointing, how could you even ignore that stuff :(

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Just putting this out here. If this is your first time on this thread Please Read the OP and the last page. Chances are the answers you are looking for is there, and won't make the trans members of this forum feel like they are being bombarded by disingenuous posts. This is a thread about Transphobia not about how you have a right to be hype about a game or about review scores. Please Please Please be respectful.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
You're either being disingenuous or the mods are absolutely failing at their jobs right now because there is no way hyyyype review scores should be discussed in this thread.unbelievable

Gamespot gave the game 7. They were critical of the bugs and also mentioned the issues of trans representation (I missed them because I was skim reading). 7 is not that hype review. IGN gave it a 9, no mention of representation.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Hasan Piker currently roasting the devs for tying pronouns to voice, nice to see him keep his hype for the game in check because he's reading Carolyn's Polygon review on stream too.

not sure if he is, sounds like he's saying its an oversight issue right now

yeah hes saying they probably werent being transphobic.

Macattk15

Nov 4, 2017

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The weird part is it sounds like it's shockingly buggy, at least listening to Jeffs Gerstmann and Bakalar talk about it, so I'm not sure that it really achieves that either.

But I guess Fallout 4 also got mostly high review scores. Games don't have to run well if the company making them is a big enough name.
I also don't doubt a lot of people writing these scores desperately want it to be great, and to be a part of that zeitgeist.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
But that's exactly what's been asked for. People have repeatedly asked that no other threads for the game be allowed, only this one. So that is the natural consequence of there only being one thread. What people actually want is for discussion of the game to be banned entirely, but not everyone agrees with that.

There is quite a bit of confusion here. People who all want different things. The worst thing that can happen is what's happening now: total inaction from the staff. People are just getting angrier and angrier as they wait to see what's going to happen. It helps no one.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Yeah, I don't know what the mods were thinking. Making this the only available cyberpunk thread dilutes this threads original intent with members who want to discuss all other aspects of the game besides transphobia.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot gave the game 7. They were critical of the bugs and also mentioned the issues of trans representation (I missed them because I was skim reading). 7 is not that hype review. IGN gave it a 9, no mention of representation.

Taking you at face value: it should be clear to you by now that this is not the kind of thread you want it to be so you need to change your behaviour or stop posting.

Continuing to act all innocent and ignorant isn't fooling anyone, put in the work or find another community.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
not sure if he is, sounds like he's saying its an oversight issue right now

yeah hes saying they probably werent being transphobic.

To be fair he's a political commentator mainly, I have literally only ever seen the 2077 trans issues discussed on Era (and some reviews now), nowhere else at all, so if Hasan isn't aware of CDPRs issues then I don't exactly blame him. The voice tied to pronouns in a vacuum could be seen as an oversight

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
How can you read the title of this thread and come in here wanting to talk about the most arbitrary gamer shit? Go to fucking IGN or GameFAQs if you have such an uncontrollable compulsion to compare review scores.

Li1quid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This is an obvious troll post, but it's a good example why discussion of the game should be banned.

Because the amount of actual discussion is almost always small, versus the amount of trolls, drive-by posting, and people who are angry that their favourite video game is being criticized and don't actually want to discuss anything.

Not really, I was just curious about the reviews. This seems the only topic talking about c77, so naturally I post here. Not really active here so I'm not in the loop of the discussion. Sorry.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why having an ot/review thread is more important than standing up for the trans community.

There's a bunch of sites to talk about this game, pick one of the many.
Well, at least an OT would be a one stop shop for people to discuss the game, reviews and negative stereotypes of race and gender.
Because people will be coming into this thread talking about general CyberPunk 2077 stuff for the next few weeks, either due to trolling or flat out ignorance.