astro

Oct 25, 2017
I made my account long ago and have been lurking here since the forum opened.

I'm just kind of surprised of how you folks are handling this.

Discussion is fine and can be profitable. Banning discussions is not. (imo)
Then please read this thread and try to understand why people are frustrated and angry before you dismiss them as being unreasonable. What lead us to this point?

Even if you get banned, that is the least you could do.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that they match this product in particular with this slogan.
Beyond just being vapid and juvenile without the connections to the trans community.

screenshot2020-12-07a3aj75.png

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
mild take: if you don't touch on the problematic social issues as a reviewer you shouldn't be in the game review industry

to that end, take a look at thegamer.com's editor-in-chief Kirk McKeand who posted this gem in his review

giphy.gif
I agree with this, part of your job is to analyze the story that's being told and the social implications of its content.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
mild take: if you don't touch on the problematic social issues as a reviewer you shouldn't be in the game review industry

to that end, take a look at thegamer.com's editor-in-chief Kirk McKeand who posted this gem in his review

giphy.gif
Ah, yes, the tactful writing of The Witcher 3 that made fun of a cross-dressing character and allowed players to sympathetically label a gay character "a freak".
Quite the good sign, I say.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Sadly, that thread closure was seen miles away. Well done all y'all who wanted to talk about review numbers, you played yourself. Can we have a post collecting those reviews who say something substantial about the issues in here with a threadmark please? That would be neat.

Udreif

May 29, 2020

giphy.gif
Does he know that the videogame was written by contemporary people in the real world? To be consumed by contemporary people in the real world?

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... Was Mike Pondsmith actually involved with the creation of this game or is he just trash too? Or a sellout (or why not both)?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yes, the tactful writing of The Witcher 3 that made fun of a cross-dressing character and allowed players to sympathetically label a gay character "a freak".
Quite the good sign, I say.

don't forget "anna cheated on her husband and aborted his child while he was a physically abusive drunk... really they're as bad as each other"

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of users showed their true colors on the review thread, it doesn't matter if it's closed, report them and don't let them get away with it.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I just don't see how the site can purport to stand with its trans members while still providing a hype platform for CDPR/CP2077. It just feels like a twisted attempt to have their cake and eat it too so to speak. If the intent is to not let the critical discussion be lost then allow for a singular thread like this one right here, as others have suggested. You want to critically discuss the game? Here's the place. Respect the thread guidelines. If some people don't like it then big whoop. They can deal. No need to make a new OT thread...or a review thread...or whatever other hype/fluff thread. And if a thread like this one is to remain then the staff NEED to shift their moderation style...because swift and decisive moderation is what will be needed to make sure things don't go off the rails.

Staff can look at the critical review thread for a sneak preview of how the OT will go.

As a more general commentary, it's been depressing and exhausting seeing this site/staff continually fail its minority/marginalized communities, driving members of these communities away, all the while repeating the same mistakes over and over while coming up with new doozies. One can only hope that *this time* lessons will be learned. I truly hope so.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
unknown.png

GS Review Highlighting the issues
They're gonna get wrecked even more than they already do lol. But even with the transphobia aside, it further cements just worries with the game. It sounds edgy for the sake of it with nothing to say. I wanted Deus Ex but it looks like we're getting a less satirical GTA.

Oct 25, 2017
You see it more and more and it is becoming a problem, even when the dev themselves do not weaponize the fanbase people get way to attached to the studio/game they like. You actually saw it this year (but in a lesser degree) with naughty dog and tlou2, some people would lash out to anyone that had even a small critique on the game.

With TLOU, I feel people needed to read the room because while I do have my criticisms with pacing of the game as well as the crunch needed to make it, so much of the criticism of the game had been poisoned by misogeny, transphobia, etc.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
don't forget "anna cheated on her husband and aborted his child while he was a physically abusive drunk... really they're as bad as each other"
Oh god how I hate that questline so much. And the "good" ending is Anna ended up stuck with her abuser as a creature who can't communicate or make decisions for herself. Again, hate it so so much.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I had a whole post written up in the "review" thread for problematic elements.

So many people wandering into that thread with "hey, what gives?!" takes, kinda showing their asses...

This has been the only consistently open Cyberpunk 2077 thread open for the past few days. It's also the same thread where it was discussed for the past several days, what's going on, and how Black Chamber's unmasking has led to mods being reinvigorated to make amends with TransEra. If those same people had been engaging with this active discussion, I doubt they'd be so confused.

It makes me feel like their reluctance towards listening to TransEra outweighs their desire to discuss Cyberpunk on Era in entirety.

Sigh...

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I do think that the staff should probably reassess how they deal with discourse on the site and accountability. I don't know if you folks had a community meeting like others have had but might be time for another.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I was excited for this game, but seeing this shit I just cannot justify buying this.
Like I don't understand who would think that edgy humor about transpeople is funny, because humor that degrades people is the lowest form of humor.
This game feels like something a 14 year old edgy teenager thinks is cool.

Also to the people saying keep politics out of games. You cannot pick and choose when you are an ally and when you are not. If you say you care about trans people then show it by not supporting this game.

Honestly? I'm really not into this game right now. Every bit of hype that was left in me has vanished mostly because of the "community" hyped for the game, offended because they can't have their video games without politics. I just don't wanna be a part of that. The alternative is much more important to me.

I'm thinking of allocating the budget I had reserved for this game to buy Final Fantasy 7 Remake instead.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
With TLOU, I feel people needed to read the room because while I do have my criticisms with pacing of the game as well as the crunch needed to make it, so much of the criticism of the game had been poisoned by misogeny, transphobia, etc.

on the other hand, lgbt people and poc with legitimate concerns abt the game's handling of rep were shat on here as well, told we were overreacting, looking to be offended, just hated neil druckmann etc.

Jan 10, 2018
Does someone have all the quotes from the locked review thread? The OP made a good job of summarizing all the reviewers who spoke out about these issues.

Oct 30, 2017
Beyond just being vapid and juvenile without the connections to the trans community.

not only does this continue to reinforce how juvenile this game seems to be, but it just highlights the poor optics and shitty environmental storytelling this game employs. you can make things cyberpunk without middle fingers, dicks, and fuck yous every where.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

Wow, that is terrible on every level. This company really went all in on their transphobic brand, and from the reviews offered no trans characters with any depth to counter it. CDPR are the fucking worst.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I don't understand how staff have botched this so badly

How do people feel about people leaving the site to discuss the game elsewhere?

I'm conflicted because I think at least on Era people are forced to acknowledge and understand the issues around the game. If we only allow people to discuss the issues here (and not the game) then people will leave and talk about it on other platforms where the issues can be ignored

If people want to talk about the game, I'd rather they do so on a platform where minority voices are not silenced and where they have to understand the issues, and where dismissing them is moderated

Funnelling everyone into this thread to discuss anything Cyberpunk seems like all it will do is put a lot of pressure on TransEra, and that seems pretty unfair after the last few days
I feel like we already tried this. It ended it up with lots of users talking past everyone trying to bring attention to the issues. Lots of bans, but not from the people you'd expect.

It's painful to admit, but I don't see a good outcome.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am horrified at how things would be going if BC hadn't been found out to be a shitstain. We were a few days away from this site becoming even more hellish with people ignoring critical voices completely.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And if that happened, those people could be showed why the other people were banned or they could reveal themselves to be bad faith actors too. That's how things worked back at the old place when Bish was in charge, and it actually kept the worst elements either out or in line.
Not all the bans would be obvious enough to convince people. The situation with Black Chamber should prove that, considering people didn't admit they were wrong until it was blatantly obvious with his Twitter. I won't lie when I say I wish the mods here took a "GAF during Gamergate" type stance, but the community as a whole needs to own up to their side of that before it becomes feasible.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this isn't accidental. Honestly, they've been doing shit they knew they could plausibly deny but knew what they were doing at the same time, fuck that game, fuck the people who made this in particular.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The way the discussion surrounding this game devolves into an utter mess each and every time should be enough for the mods to agree that it's too much of a headache for them to keep up moderating it and exhausting for TransEra. The OT should just not happen at this stage. CDPR have shown their hand now looking at those reviews for this game and it just confirms what was was feared all along.

The way that Black Chamber infiltrated the community and continued being here promoting this trashy game after so long was bad enough. Not gonna dictate how the mods should run things here but this game has caused far more trouble than its worth at this stage. Fuck it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Facts. This is why I care so little about game reviews these days as reviewers are still too immature. It's also why I'll always listen to Waypoint's take even if I disagree with them. I loved their analysis of TLOU2 regardless of whether I agreed with all of it because they don't do some surface level critique, they go all in as any good reviewer should.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After some soul searching, I canceled my PSN preorder. If anyone is considering doing the same, the process only took a few minutes through PlayStation support chat. Inclusiveness is more important than some stupid video game

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hated how that's how people came away from that questline.
I always saw it as a look into how shitty people try to justify their shitty horrible behavior.. which is why I liked it. I came out of it still hating him, having no different opinion about his wife, but felt I kind of understood horrible people a bit. Horrible people don't think they are horrible cause they find justifications for why they think they are in the right. But maybe I was giving too much credit to the writers and maybe I was one of the only ones who saw the quest like that.

Details on transphobia in the game from reviews.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Does someone have all the quotes from the locked review thread? The OP made a good job of summarizing all the reviewers who spoke out about these issues.

A message from OP that I copied/pasted from:
(fwiw kinda starting to be in a work call so this is a little rushed)

I am not entirely surprised by how that went. It being locked is probably for the better given but I'm not sure how to feel about the fallout.

I also want to say that I immediately felt kinda weird about exclusively highlighting those parts of those reviews? Not because I think the thread shouldn't have been centered on that. But because it may have kinda backfired into doing a disservice to the writers by boiling down their work to just those parts. It is a major problem that marginalized writers are hired just for their criticism on issues and nothing else, so I don't want to perpetuate that.

Fwiw when I posted it, nothing past "reviews" was in the title. It was a mod edit, and an understandable one imo but "transphobia issues" was... awkward, to say the least.

Original post from the thread that had reviews which highlight transphobia in Cyberpunk 2077:

Kallie Plagge at Gamespot:
The ads are one of many, many aesthetic choices in Cyberpunk 2077 that are grating with no real point. There's one ad in particular that was the topic of much discussion pre-release; it features a feminine person with a giant, exaggerated, veiny erection in their leotard and advertises a drink called Chromanticore with the tagline "mix it up." It is everywhere. And while the "purpose" of it may be to show what a sex-obsessed, superficial, exploitative place Night City is, there's nothing in the main story or any of the side quests I did that gives it even that much context--I found just one message on one of the many computers I logged into that commented on how low-brow Night City culture is. The result is that there's a fetishization of trans people at every turn, in a game with only one very minor trans character (that I found, at least) and no way to play as an authentically trans character yourself.

I found and read tons of text logs, scoured people's private messages, listened to radio and TV programs and random NPC conversations, and I struggled to find justifications for many of Cyberpunk's more questionable and superficial worldbuilding choices. It's a world where megacorporations rule people's lives, where inequality runs rampant, and where violence is a fact of life, but I found very little in the main story, side quests, or environment that explores any of these topics. It's a tough world and a hard one to exist in, by design; with no apparent purpose and context to that experience, all you're left with is the unpleasantness.

There's so much to cover that I can't possibly touch on everything, but my experience is that there are aspects of the game that feel lost in translation, invoking cultures that aren't adequately explored or contextualized. Characters in one side quest use the word "ofrenda" as if it means "funeral" when it's actually a particular kind of altar primarily for Day of the Dead--it's unclear to me if this is a translation issue or an overall misunderstanding of Mexican customs, since you do put together an altar during the event that's being called "the ofrenda." As another example, you can go to a clothing store in Japantown and buy "yukata" that are just wrap shirts bearing only the slightest resemblance to real yukata. It's not that Cyberpunk always gets everything wrong in its incorporation of a variety of cultures and backgrounds but that the world is so big and unruly that I never knew what I would find around any corner or understand what the intent behind it was--I just grew to accept that whatever I did find, at least in terms of setting and worldbuilding, would likely be superficial.

Carolyn Petite at Polygon:
For elements like the inescapable dehumanization of trans people on imagery throughout the city to function as any kind of critique of transphobia, the game itself would need to create tension around those images by showing us humanized trans people navigating that world. But it doesn't. The result is a game in which transphobic players (of which there will be many) can just laugh at us by using the character creator to generate models they consider worthy of mockery and derision and by gagging at the Chromanticure ads they see everywhere, or perhaps by fetishizing the model while continuing to see trans people as objects of desire but not as full human beings. Meanwhile, we trans players are left wanting in its world for depictions that humanize us.

Gene Park at The Washington Post:
While "The Witcher" was based on a novel series that pulled mythological inspiration from CDPR's native land of Poland, "Cyberpunk" is a vision of a much broader, more diverse world, one that CDPR seems less equipped to depict. That's not to say that this story and its characters aren't engaging, but that it relies on giving virtual life to caricatures drawn by the original board game. A Latino character leans too heavily on overused Spanish swear words in normal conversation. Sex workers are given little nuance to their characters beyond the parameters of their chosen profession.

And for years, trans activists have shone a light on why its depiction and seemingly willful ignorance on gender can create damage for a marginalized community, even within the game's context of capitalism objectifying humanity for gain. In its narrative, CDPR chose adherence to a known and problematic formula over upending the cyberpunk genre. This might be an insurmountable hurdle for some — and understandably so.

Rob Zacny at Waypoint:
Cyberpunk 2077 happily embraces the tropes of 80s cyberpunk, where ethnic stereotypes were often deployed to provide an air of unearned worldly sophistication. So the Japanese characters who work for Arasaka speak the language of samurai movies: it's all honor, duty, and cherry blossoms despite the fact that Arasaka is a cynical and self-interested multinational. The game nods to some of the complications of representation: the game is at pains to indicate that the tech-savvy Voodoo Boys gang are not actually practitioners or believers in voodoo, but they are proud members of a Haitian diaspora that are building a Black nationalist movement in their quarter of Night City who adopt the symbols of voodoo as an expression of heritage. Which is all well and good but then you realize that the only Haitian dudes you've met in this whole game are Voodoo Boys and you're right back at a setting where, functionally, ethnicity is identity. And that identity frequently comes with a costume and an occupation.

More complicated is how Cyberpunk 2077 approaches sex and sex work, which says a lot about the places where its imagination is detailed and specific, versus where it is vague and uncommitted. A lot of Cyberpunk 2077's story hinges on sex workers and the types of sex work and hierarchies that exist in this world. ... It's dark stuff, but it's fairly well-handled. Cyberpunk 2077 approaches sexual violence like a lot of detective fiction approaches it, with a fair amount of sensitivity but also an uncomfortable level of interest that flirts with being fetishisizing.

What's profoundly strange is that, here in the final game, there is scarcely any portrayal or interrogation of how this society's understanding of gender and the human body have changed. The marketing-driven discussion around Cyberpunk for the last few years has often centered on CD Projekt Red's transphobic "edginess" and its misbegotten philosophizing about how body modification and augmentation come at a cost to one's humanity. This is a small mercy: the game at least never sinks to the lows promised by some of the terrible art that has been shown over the past few years (and which still remains in the game). But it also helps make Cyberpunk a game where race, gender, and transhumanism are reduced to background set decoration in otherwise familiar stories.

Riley MacLeod at Kotaku:
Your appearance can be customized with a range of skin colors, hairstyles, and features. Rather than picking between "male" and "female," you choose a traditionally male or female body type and choose between two penis types or one vagina. The pronoun characters use for you is either "he" or "she" based on your voice. While there's more flexibility to this than we've seen in other games, tying binary pronouns to voice feels simplistic and retrograde. My V has a vagina and goes by "he," but the game doesn't seem to acknowledge that he's a trans man; characters occasionally make reference to his dick or balls, though this could just as easily be metaphorical. In some scenes with hireable sex workers of different genders, I appeared to penetrate them—certainly possible, but with no indication that my character doesn't have a biological dick. At one point a character made mention of the "mess" that is my V's hormones, but I'm not sure if this is a reference to his body or something that would be said anyway.

As a white, queer trans man, I can only speak to some of the portrayals from my experience, and there's plenty of the game I haven't seen yet. But so far, all the game's representation, the kinds of things many of us rightly demand from video games, feels employed more for color in the game's futuristic world, or because it's been used in cyberpunk media before. The world is heavily influenced by Japanese culture, because cyberpunk works do that. There are queer people because everyone in the game's world indulges their sexual desires to their fullest. There are trans people because everyone's modifying their bodies in all kinds of ways. The world's diversity doesn't feel forced, but race, queerness, or transness don't feel like topics the developers are interested in specifically addressing or exploring. Similar to how I felt about The Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk's diversity is more visible than we've seen in many big-budget games before, but it doesn't feel like it matters.

I can speak best to Cyberpunk's already controversial use of trans people. As seen in pre-release information, a lot of trans content is consigned to in-game ads, such as the soft drink ad featuring a female-appearing character with a giant cock bulging from her leotard. The game has yet to indicate if there are any other trans men in the world besides my version of V; I suspect I'm the only one, and I'm torn between relief and hoping to be proven wrong. I have encountered at least one other trans character: at one point I happened upon a dressing room conversation between a woman who identified herself as cis and a character who had a traditionally male appearance but a feminine voice, who bemoaned theatrically, "I'm a woman; that demands sacrifice." Her companion replied, "See, I've always been a woman," angering the trans character. "Oh, so this is what fucking sororal solidarity looks like now?" she snapped. Her companion replied, "Welcome to real life, sister." As a trans person, this was a complicated, weird moment to overhear. The conversation comes after a key story scene, in an area you have to pass through to continue the quest; you could easily walk by it, but it's hard to miss. I'm not sure why the developers seemed to want me to see it. On the one hand, I've heard versions of this conversation play out between cis and trans women in my real life, and had versions of it myself as a trans man with cis men. On the other hand, I could easily see the trans character's appearance and voice being played for laughs. Of course, there was no option to rush up to the trans woman and say "I'm trans, too!" Both characters fell silent and didn't have any more dialogue.

Personally, the trans content I've seen so far didn't deeply offend me, but that's my own stomach for such things. But I'm not necessarily interested in knowing what a game studio thinks about my existence; I don't need Cyberpunk—or any game—to tell me about myself. Still, I don't think I'm alone in wishing the game were doing better with the identities it portrays, and I understand anyone who feels like they just don't have the energy for this shit.

Last edited:

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
The review in the review thread that said something akin to "you can easily make a trans caricature in the character creator, but it's difficult for a trans person to create something they resonate with" is really resonating with me. It did a really good job putting this general icky feeling I've had with the less-overtly transphobic parts of the game into words.

While I don't suffer from a lot of voice dysphoria, it is the main reason I get misgendered usually, so them tying gender to voice is at best tone-deaf and at worst a deliberate attack.

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
I think dialogue with TransEra is monumental here.

If there is to be a OT covering this game - there must be extensive connection to the issues surrounding it. There has been great work done with many different members so lets turn to them. Without them there's no point.

Oct 27, 2017
on the other hand, lgbt people and poc with legitimate concerns abt the game's handling of rep were shat on here as well, told we were overreacting, looking to be offended, just hated neil druckmann etc.
I don't like carelessly invoking it's name, but that sounds like a certain Disney movie's discourse on this site, lol

Pretty glad I jumped into TLOU ptII late, then.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The way the discussion surrounding this game devolves into an utter mess each and every time should be enough for the mods to agree that it's too much of a headache for them to keep up moderating it and exhausting for TransEra. The OT should just not happen at this stage. CDPR have shown their hand now looking at those reviews for this game and it just confirms what was was feared all along.

The way that Black Chamber infiltrated the community and continued being here promoting this trashy game after so long was bad enough. Not gonna dictate how the mods should run things here but this game has caused far more trouble than its worth at this stage. Fuck it.
Is Black Chamber an employee of CDPR ? I read the thread about his OTs.