metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you really want to go talk about the game with a bunch of people who don't care about transphobia reddit is very easy to access

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe the people whining about not being able to discuss their new toy made the other thread close. That's disappointing

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad a sizeable number of reviewers are looking at the game through this kind of realistic and relevant lens. Transphobia, misogyny, racism... This game seems to be a real trash fire. There's no excuse.

Doesn't surprise me. As a Mexican-American the handling of Jackie was par the course for how stereotypical representation is for Latinos across the industry.

Also, the Black Chamber episode should be a further lesson: you can learn a whole lot about what poster's don't say and where they choose to post. It's so hard to ignore all the "civil" meta questioning of why we can't discuss game from posters that continuously engaged in Cyberpunk media hype, seen the disaster that unfolded, and choose still to not make any amends here or pop-in to show support.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The more I here about this game the more it confirms my worst fears. What a hateful and immature company. I am also seething at seeing so many people in the closed thread complaining about fan voices being silenced after months of the trans community being ignored and hateful gaslighters being given not just the benefit of the doubt but the power to set the tone of the conversation on this forum.

I truly feel that TransEra should have the final say with what happens to this game on this site. I know days ago they only wanted reasonable exposure of the issue in the OT, but a lot has happened since then. If they want this banned it should be banned, if they want a critical OT then they should get that and Mods should put in the work to make sure that people can't just troll the thread and harass any of the trans users. At this point protecting the trans community here from hateful fans should be the absolute priority.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been lurking a lot of the Cyberpunk threads in ERA because I wanted to keep up to date with these issues, but also wanted to see if the full game had something more to say. I discounted a lot of the social media stuff as being a shitty social media manger, but the Chromanticore stuff in the game and seeing some of the trans members of era explain how deep that whole rabbit hole went was some "holy shit, wtf" stuff.

I put a lot of credence in Carolyn's perspective of trans representation within Cyberpunk because she is a trans woman.

But I think it's safe to say that Cyberpunks treatment of trans people and issues are limited to jokes that objectify them or mock them by saying their decision to change is flippant when in reality that decision to transition is one of the hardest things for them to do.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Keep this thread open for transEra to keep discussing these issues, forbid any other discussion of the game whatsoever. That's the only respectable way forward. This site owes this minority group a good deed.

Jul 19, 2020
So not to just focus on meta discussion but if we can't even have a review thread focusing on the issues with problematic content in the game without people crawling out of the woodwork to complain, the OT is going to be a total mess right?

Anyway, reading the reviews linked in that thread now. Cheers to deepFlaw for collecting them.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
mild take: if you don't touch on the problematic social issues as a reviewer you shouldn't be in the game review industry

to that end, take a look at thegamer.com's editor-in-chief Kirk McKeand who posted this gem in his review

If you've played The Witcher 3, you can expect the same standard of writing here. It's not the brash, juvenile game you might be expecting if you've followed the social media conversation - it deals with tough subjects with tact and care. You might find some of it uncomfortable, but it's a disservice to apply contemporary morality onto an immoral fictional world. Worse things happen in real life, and CD Projekt does a good job of balancing the good and bad side of humanity here.

giphy.gif

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly disheartened that the reaction to that thread was to allow bad faith actors to kill it and cause all discussions of those reviews to be funneled over into this thread, instead of seeing actions taken against said actors.
It's hard to take an black/white approach against said bad actors because they straddle the line just enough to fool people. Bet you if mods took action against them, you'd have a bunch of people who can't hear dogwhistles asking why they were banned for "being excited for the game". Like those that defended the OT creators.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
dunno why some folks feel they MUST talk about a game uncritically

like, you'll be fine, and have countless other venues to do just that

hell you're probably more likely to enjoy the game going in blind, not everything needs a hype discourse
People that want to talk about this game in general have the entire rest of internet to freely and safely talk about it.
Trans people wanting to talk about it's transphobia tho? Where? This is the reason why this site exists, it needs to offer that place.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think at some point in the near future, there's definitely a discussion to be had as to how some devs are able to almost weaponise their fan base.

Although to be fair, I've never ever seen the levels of pseudo-brainwashing I've seen with CDPR.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know, it's quite upsetting when you realize that this showcases how poorly people think when it comes to situations like this. No one tends to think of others in something like this because to them "it's just a game", when the reality is, they'd be just as upset if a company who was developing a major game did their community a huge injustice and have shown racism etc towards them specifically. Imagine them in that scenario, they'd be just as upset if not more but because it's not effecting them they're sitting there like "I WANT MY REGULAR REVIEW THREAD!" As if they can't go to subreddits and subreddits discords or other places to ignore this overall situation because it's clear that this site can't handle having both ways (regular thread and this type of thread together co-existing)
I think for a lot of people like that, especially people who have seen games that do their communities injustice, they are almost numb to it at this point? Like I have a black friend who has essentially stopped caring about racist black characters because he is tired of caring and just wants to enjoy his hobby. Which is wrong, but just an example.

It's definitely the wrong mindset because if we keep supporting practices like this, they don't go away

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, I'm only one voice.

I'm not trans, but I'm non-binary, and this game and the issue surrounding it affect me.

If you are not trans, or another minority or group directly affected by this game, please stop calling for all discussion to be banned.

If the trans community collectively decide that is best, I'll accept it. However, there are more of us who are also affected would like to dicuss the issues surrounding this game somewhere that at least as a degree of comfort and safety.

My personal opinion, as someone who is affected by the issues this game presents, is that this game is not only huge in terms of hype, but the problematic aspects and effects on the industry are too big to ignore.

From the reviews we have seen, this game is potentially something that could accelerate and emboldened a lot of ignorance and hate, and discussion of this and sharing of articles that combat it and highlight just how harmful it is are very important to share.

I think banning all discussion wouldn't be as effective as steering it in the right direction. Remove all standard hype threads, ban all smaller threads purely discussion gameplay, etc.. but allow discussion if the problematic parts.

Should there be an OT? I think this should be decided upon via communication between trans Era themselves.

Again, if it is decided that the trans community cannot tolerate any discussion for their own safety and health, that is the direction we should take and I'll back it 100%.
I mean this is what this should have been from the start. Mods working with all of trans era to be able to handle this right.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
So can critical reviews be posted here? I don't think the game needs a review thread but if people want to know what people are saying re: how the game is poorly handling things, then impressions need to get posted somewhere right 🤔

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's great that it's full of bugs, makes me not even want to try it for free. I hate the QA of Bethesda games with a passion. What I've seen coming out of this upsets me a lot - and it reeks of that shitty movement

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
mild take: if you don't touch on the problematic social issues as a reviewer you shouldn't be in the game review industry

to that end, take a look at thegamer.com's editor-in-chief Kirk McKeand who posted this gem in his review

giphy.gif
I don't even really understand what that quote actually means, it's just nonsense???

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've witnessed so much controversy surrounding a AAA game. Not even the mods know how to handle it and they're locking threads left and right.

For the sake of bringing these issues to light I hope the game will get really mixed reviews overall. I'm glad Gamespot had the courage to go all-out with their review.
Best they can do is ban anything regarding CDPR, and that includes GOG too. Same with anything Rowling related, AKA Harry Potter.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif
Being told GTA4 had an "oscar worthy story" pretty much cemented to me that the vast majority of games journalists aren't able to engage in deep, substantial criticism.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
There sure were a lot of people in that thread who "care about these issues" while also completely derailing the thread. I also like the idea that regular review threads are some great hub of dicussion when they're just incredibly toxic shit flinging.

Not that any of that outcome was surprising mind you and it doesn't bode well for any wider discussion.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Remember to not engage trolls and just report
The problem is I don't think "I have a family, please don't suppress my ability to talk about my videogames 😥" is actionable so sometimes a report isn't enough. Some of these people really think they're the victim here.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think at some point in the near future, there's definitely a discussion to be had as to how some devs are able to almost weaponise their fan base.

Although to be fair, I've never ever seen the levels of pseudo-brainwashing I've seen with CDPR.

The fact that the game was announced 7 years ago and CDPR built up their reputation as this sterling company allowed them to build up hype in a way most other publishers cannot because we see the bullshit they pull on a regular basis. Not many would go to the same lengths for Ubisoft,EA, or bethesda

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't understand how staff have botched this so badly

How do people feel about people leaving the site to discuss the game elsewhere?

I'm conflicted because I think at least on Era people are forced to acknowledge and understand the issues around the game. If we only allow people to discuss the issues here (and not the game) then people will leave and talk about it on other platforms where the issues can be ignored

If people want to talk about the game, I'd rather they do so on a platform where minority voices are not silenced and where they have to understand the issues, and where dismissing them is moderated

Funnelling everyone into this thread to discuss anything Cyberpunk seems like all it will do is put a lot of pressure on TransEra, and that seems pretty unfair after the last few days

Nov 2, 2017

I will never miss a chance to link this piece by the great Lana Polansky:

Worse Than Scabs: Gamer Rage as Anti-Union Violence

As Carolyn Jong, a Montreal-based researcher and organizer with the grassroots union advocacy group Game Workers Unite told me, the fact that there's no real labor organization in games means that things are generally framed in terms of the consumers' interests and demands, rather than in terms of the workers' needs. Even those who seek a more progressive vision of games generally engage with that vision on very superficial, neoliberal terms. This usually finds expression in companies pandering to reactionary elements of their fanbase, but pandering to progressives without a class consciousness is just as easy for game companies as it is for Whole Foods. This is how a company with such shoddy internal practices can maintain a squeaky-clean public image while totally evading scrutiny.

"It is very obvious, the way that a lot of the harassment in games happens is connected to this consumer-producer divide; people defining themselves in terms of consumerism and what they purchase, and that being the only legitimate source of power that they can imagine," Jong said."I think Gamergate served the industry, obviously—the industry being the bosses, the multinationals—because it scared their employees, it got rid of a lot of their critics. It basically served this pacification purpose. I think that polarization is very real, and I think it's a result of the mushy status quo being unsustainable. You cannot just keep reproducing what exists because it's breaking down all around us."

Last edited:

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
It's clear they do not care AT ALL about the issues. They just want their own little space to hype the next big thing. It's honestly exhausting and continues to be a slap in the face for the marginalized.

I really hope the mods come up with a good solution here (whatever that ends up being...), because otherwise this shit will just keep on happening.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So can critical reviews be posted here? I don't think the game needs a review thread but if people want to know what people are saying re: how the game is poorly handling things, then impressions need to get posted somewhere right 🤔
The lock message in the other thread said this is where they can be discussed, so I don't see why not.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
As I said, I'm only one voice.

I'm not trans, but I'm non-binary, and this game and the issue surrounding it affect me.

If you are not trans, or another minority or group directly affected by this game, please stop calling for all discussion to be banned.

If the trans community collectively decide that is best, I'll accept it. However, there are more of us who are also affected would like to dicuss the issues surrounding this game somewhere that at least as a degree of comfort and safety.

My personal opinion, as someone who is affected by the issues this game presents, is that this game is not only huge in terms of hype, but the problematic aspects and effects on the industry are too big to ignore.

From the reviews we have seen, this game is potentially something that could accelerate and emboldened a lot of ignorance and hate, and discussion of this and sharing of articles that combat it and highlight just how harmful it is are very important to share.

I think banning all discussion wouldn't be as effective as steering it in the right direction. Remove all standard hype threads, ban all smaller threads purely discussion gameplay, etc.. but allow discussion if the problematic parts.

Should there be an OT? I think this should be decided upon via communication between trans Era themselves.

Again, if it is decided that the trans community cannot tolerate any discussion for their own safety and health, that is the direction we should take and I'll back it 100%.
This, I'm a Cis male, and all I'm doing is echoing the statements of others. I'm just reporting stuff that's wilding transphobic, or replying to people who are being actively dumb.

I reported the other thread because it was getting out of hand as the lock message stated, if people can have reasonable discussions about the game, that's fine, I don't think anyone(and it's explicitly mentioned by kyuuji that discussion is fine), But as you said, Transera should have a voice in all of it, and decide if they're comfortable with an OT after everything that has transpired.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget to not engage with troll accounts with a low number of posts and just report them directly.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about this has convinced me it should be a 10. Performance wise, and how they're handling issues with the trans community. If only gamers were as riled up over the depiction of marginalized groups as they are when their favorite game gets a 7 (still not an awful score), this narrative would've been completely different. Companies who perpetuate this shit and the reviewers/fans who give them a pass should be hung out to dry. Good on Gamespot, and getting a 7 is generous considering CDPR's fuckery. The warranted controversy following this game, and it still gets perfect reviews? Lmao bruh.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
(fwiw kinda starting to be in a work call so this is a little rushed)

I am not entirely surprised by how that went. It being locked is probably for the better given but I'm not sure how to feel about the fallout.

I also want to say that I immediately felt kinda weird about exclusively highlighting those parts of those reviews? Not because I think the thread shouldn't have been centered on that. But because it may have kinda backfired into doing a disservice to the writers by boiling down their work to just those parts. It is a major problem that marginalized writers are hired just for their criticism on issues and nothing else, so I don't want to perpetuate that.

I'm very disappointed the review thread was locked. I was just writing how I hadn't even realised it was the proper review thread, and how cool doing a sort of subverted review thread to highlight the issues was such a good idea. I only wish it had been actually called the Review Thread because I was confused

Fwiw when I posted it, nothing past "reviews" was in the title. It was a mod edit, and an understandable one imo but "transphobia issues" was... awkward, to say the least.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There sure were a lot of people in that thread who "care about these issues" while also completely derailing the thread. I also like the idea that regular review threads are some great hub of dicussion when they're just incredibly toxic shit flinging.

Not that any of that outcome was surprising mind you and it doesn't bode well for any
Yea. A bunch of "Listen, I support these issues, but..."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
dunno why some folks feel they MUST talk about a game uncritically

like, you'll be fine, and have countless other venues to do just that

hell you're probably more likely to enjoy the game going in blind, not everything needs a hype discourse
It's because they don't have to and they know they don't have to, they're threatened by what they're seeing.

There was one or two early thread on Era where I responded to claims that "no one is allowed to talk about the actual game" by going through the thread, highlighting people who were talking about the actual game, and showed off that they weren't engaging in the ongoing discussion about the game before complaining.

www.resetera.com

So, Minecraft 2 sure is looking good.

That looks kinda cool, but... Notch? Thanks but no thanks.

www.resetera.com

THQ Nordic announces SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated (PS4, PC, XBOX ONE, NSW) [See Staff Post]

Yelling at people for voicing serious concerns isn't very adult. Or tactful.

Different issues being at the center of the whole thing, but same complaints of not being able to speak freely. Note that in one of those cases I encouraged them to discuss the game itself and instead was asked by several people to be removed from the list of people who wanted to talk about the game.

Scubdi

Jan 21, 2020
I was excited for this game, but seeing this shit I just cannot justify buying this.
Like I don't understand who would think that edgy humor about transpeople is funny, because humor that degrades people is the lowest form of humor.
This game feels like something a 14 year old edgy teenager thinks is cool.

Also to the people saying keep politics out of games. You cannot pick and choose when you are an ally and when you are not. If you say you care about trans people then show it by not supporting this game.

May 10, 2020
It is a video game forum that was built upon certain principles.

Regardless of how eel that pans out, you truly couldn't understand this simple concept before you made your burner account?
I made my account long ago and have been lurking here since the forum opened.

I'm just kind of surprised of how you folks are handling this.

Discussion is fine and can be profitable. Banning discussions is not. (imo)

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

giphy.gif
Except you can apply our world morality to immoral fictional world's. Good fiction does it all the time. You have the immoral things in the fictional world, even can show that they are common place, but you still show them as being wrong.

I just don't get the idea that because the fictional world is immoral that glorifying the immoral nature of it is okay, it's not. If you want to throw immoral things in your Games, you need to highlight that they are wrong. Cyberpunk had the opportunity to do that but they said fuck that

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The trajectory of that review thread affirmed to me that people don't actually... read reviews, do they? Those reviews managed to discuss a breadth of information about the game, from the combat to the sidequests to the problematic content, and there might have been some real discussion generated from that if folks didn't immediately want to derail with "where's the real review thread?". People really just want to tally up the scores and declare their uncritical hype.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how staff have botched this so badly

How do people feel about people leaving the site to discuss the game elsewhere?

I'm conflicted because I think at least on Era people are forced to acknowledge and understand the issues around the game. If we only allow people to discuss the issues here (and not the game) then people will leave and talk about it on other platforms where the issues can be ignored

If people want to talk about the game, I'd rather they do so on a platform where minority voices are not silenced and where they have to understand the issues, and where dismissing them is moderated

Funnelling everyone into this thread to discuss anything Cyberpunk seems like all it will do is put a lot of pressure on TransEra, and that seems pretty unfair after the last few days
The people that don't care....will never, ever care.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so privileged that you still wanna discuss your UPCOMING shiny new toy in a vacuum without ever thinking about the (political) messages or the circumstances of how the game got made. To normalize what CDPR did especially in their marketing is dehumanizing Trans people and normalizing all these GG gamer bro dudes. In something like the upcoming Harry Potter game, wou would actually give money to a fucking TERF. And sorry, but human rights and people being treated like humans is more important than the next AAA toy

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I know, it's quite upsetting when you realize that this showcases how poorly people think when it comes to situations like this. No one tends to think of others in something like this because to them "it's just a game", when the reality is, they'd be just as upset if a company who was developing a major game did their community a huge injustice and have shown racism etc towards them specifically. Imagine them in that scenario, they'd be just as upset if not more but because it's not effecting them they're sitting there like "I WANT MY REGULAR REVIEW THREAD!" As if they can't go to subreddits and subreddits discords or other places to ignore this overall situation because it's clear that this site can't handle having both ways (regular thread and this type of thread together co-existing)
Yeah people usually only care when it affects them. We see more people that bash companies about loot boxes over issues like these.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Interesting that they match this product in particular with this slogan.
Beyond just being vapid and juvenile without the connections to the trans community.

screenshot2020-12-07a3aj75.png

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

You see it more and more and it is becoming a problem, even when the dev themselves do not weaponize the fanbase people get way to attached to the studio/game they like. You actually saw it this year (but in a lesser degree) with naughty dog and tlou2, some people would lash out to anyone that had even a small critique on the game.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to take an black/white approach against said bad actors because they straddle the line just enough to fool people. Bet you if mods took action against them, you'd have a bunch of people who can't hear dogwhistles asking why they were banned for "being excited for the game". Like those that defended the OT creators.
And if that happened, those people could be showed why the other people were banned or they could reveal themselves to be bad faith actors too. That's how things worked back at the old place when Bish was in charge, and it actually kept the worst elements either out or in line.