Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, you're here too?

I think we're just wasting time here, it's going to be disappointing again

Hi :)

I don't know, i think it's more widely agreed upon now that SwSh were bad games. Even the most die hard people now concede that it was below standards (if only because they now say that the DLC is amazing and that somehow excuses SwSh as a whole).

If even amazing games like DPPt get butchered and turn out like SwSh, i think the reaction will be very bad, although I doubt that will affect sales.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I wish Pokémon looked like Ni no Kuni. I don't think that's asking too much. The artstyles are somewhat similar, but I think NNK does it better.

ni-no-kuni-der-fluch-der-wei%C3%9Fen-k%C3%B6nigin-remastered-ps4_6079047.jpg

latest

Al-Mamoon.jpg

ni-no-kuni_wrath_of_the_white_witch_screenshot_03.jpg

What is up with that rock? It legit looks straight from a PS1. Even looks kinda warped. 😅

maybe in two gens.

Dec 21, 2020
The rock texture on the second is far from being the best in the world, but it's OK.
The rock texture and geometry on the first picture is N64 level (and I am not joking or amplified, you can check Ocarina of Time).
What is up with that rock? It legit looks straight from a PS1. Even looks kinda warped. 😅
I was referring to the route layout, the route itself looks bad if you remove the stylized elements, like the trainers or the tents and the pokemon and all that

But the layout in that route top route is far better than the layout of the cave route which is like in all honesty is almost a hallway

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I was referring to the route layout, the route itself looks bad if you remove the stylized elements, like the trainers or the tents and the pokemon and all that

But the layout in that route top route is far better than the layout of the cave route which is like in all honesty is almost a hallway
Totally.
I just used your post to show that, contrary to some here, no, the game isn't technically advanced.

Feb 20, 2019

I don't know, i think it's more widely agreed upon now that SwSh were bad games. Even the most die hard people now concede that it was below standards (if only because they now say that the DLC is amazing and that somehow excuses SwSh as a whole).

If even amazing games like DPPt get butchered and turn out like SwSh, i think the reaction will be very bad, although I doubt that will affect sales.
Eh, we'll see

Love the positivity though :)

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020

I know. Just noticed the rock and found it funny.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
There's something about the Ni No Kuni art style that I definitely do not want near Pokemon, though I can't tell if the issue is the setting and not the artsyle when I look at it lol. I do like the environments I think, but the style used for the characters themselves have always rubbed me the wrong way. I actually think the way the towns and cities in swsh look are pretty good. Sure some of them could stand to be bigger with more to do but that's a different conversation

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as far as art style goes, the only criticism I have is that I want them to move more away from contemporary. not completely, but I'd like for there to be more variety in architecture and natural environments than just "real-world". Ballonlea was a great start. too bad about....everything though

Ballonlea_SwSh.png

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I kinda always liked how in Pokemon the overworld and the towns are on the same scale. Dropping off a bustling town to a huge empty overworld is as lame to me in FF1 as it is in Ni No Kuni.
As much as route and path design has suffered the past few entries, I always liked the sense of scale of Pokemon.
Also if they keep the IoA style of level design they definetely should try open world.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
I kinda always liked how in Pokemon the overworld and the towns are on the same scale. Dropping off a bustling town to a huge empty overworld is as lame to me in FF1 as it is in Ni No Kuni.
As much as route and path design has suffered the past few entries, I always liked the sense of scale of Pokemon.
Also if they keep the IoA style of level design they definetely should try open world.
When I mentioned Ni no Kuni, I didn't mean I wanted Pokémon to have an overworld like it.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
at least we know that they're gonna get sebreak path right if shaymin is in it

Seabreak_Path_DP.png

It already looks like all the routes from sword and shield

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
as far as art style goes, the only criticism I have is that I want them to move more away from contemporary. not completely, but I'd like for there to be more variety in architecture and natural environments than just "real-world". Ballonlea was a great start. too bad about....everything though

Ballonlea_SwSh.png
Eh, I'm okay with some locations breaking away from contemporary but Pokemon towns and cities are supposed to invoke the real world on purpose. Ballonlea is even based on real world architecture. Drawing designs from real world locations have always kept the games fresh to me. Sometimes when I see discussions I think people expect Pokemon to be this alien world when I think it's really meant to be pretty recognizable to us, beyond the laser shooting monsters and scifi tech of course.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm okay with some locations breaking away from contemporary but Pokemon towns and cities are supposed to invoke the real world on purpose. Ballonlea is even based on real world architecture. Drawing designs from real world locations have always kept the games fresh to me. Sometimes when I see discussions I think people expect Pokemon to be this alien world when I think it's really meant to be pretty recognizable to us, beyond the laser shooting monsters and scifi tech of course.
I never said to go completely scifi/fantasy. but with all the games having contemporary architecture, it's starting to feel samey. Ballonlea has a lot more fantastical elements in the giant trees and giant glowing fungi. it's a start and future games can press that a little bit more. maybe a bit more futuristic city to explore, or a desert town that's more like Tatooine or Jakku. or at least make and evil team base that's set in a rather unique location, like underwater or something

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018

Although I know this screenshot is an extreme example since that area is for a special event, there's something to me with that map, and many others in Sinnoh, that breathes character. Like, although it's literally just a long straight path surrounded by water, the multi-colored flowers, and the notion that the mythical Pokemon Shaymin resides there, is a really nice feeling -- I'd actually like to be there in that field in the middle of the sea, ya know?

I don't know, maybe it's just the nostalgia talking. But something about the art style, world design, and music makes Sinnoh feel special to me, even these trivial straight paths.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

Ballonlea_SwSh.png

They have always been great designing their cities. Unlike most RPGs, there is always a ton of them, but each of them feel very unique, even as early as the RBY ones. When they didn't have many options in the visual department, they used landmarks, like Vermilion has a port, Lavender has the tower, Saffron has the Silph Corp., etc, and starting from RSE they started to get more thematic and do things like Fortree or Fallarbor. Even up until SwSh, the look of the cities is one of the few things I can't complain about (although I can certainly complain about having nothing to do and except looking at locked houses).

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Although I know this screenshot is an extreme example since that area is for a special event, there's something to me with that map, and many others in Sinnoh, that breathes character. Like, although it's literally just a long straight path surrounded by water, the multi-colored flowers, and the notion that the mythical Pokemon Shaymin resides there, is a really nice feeling -- I'd actually like to be there in that field in the middle of the sea, ya know?

I don't know, maybe it's just the nostalgia talking. But something about the art style, world design, and music makes Sinnoh feel special to me, even these trivial straight paths.

yeah, despite not having many pokemon I like, sinnoh had the best realized world imo. it actually felt cohesive and not just a mish mash of habitats strung together. springbreak path was cool because there was nothing like it in the game. Hell, all of Sinnoh's legendary locations were sick!

They have always been great designing their cities. Unlike most RPGs, there is always a ton of them, but each of them feel very unique, even as early as the RBY ones. When they didn't have many options in the visual department, they used landmarks, like Vermilion has a port, Lavender has the tower, Saffron has the Silph Corp., etc, and starting from RSE they started to get more thematic and do things like Fortree or Fallarbor. Even up until SwSh, the look of the cities is one of the few things I can't complain about (although I can certainly complain about having nothing to do and except looking at locked houses).

yeah, before sword and shield, I felt like all pokemon towns were pretty cool

Dec 21, 2020
I don't know, Pokemon has been rather futuristic, archaic and contemporary in many instances.

Mossdeep_City_ORAS.png

300px-Sunyshore_City_Pt.png

6bdcdad7fff2e3a0b7f34e388c0d5a9b.jpg

pokemon.jpg

300px-Solaceon_Town_DP.png

They go from futuristic to archaic to modern all throughout the series. There may be better examples of this, like the treehouses from Hoenn whose names escape me, the black city, the white forest, veilstone, etc.

But they use the real rather loosely imo with the games, some cities that revere the deity in the ruins nearby and it is more like a village than a city, others are this NY style city like castelia, some seem so far out there in how they have ways of moving from one place to another like sunyshore. Even sword and shield did this, that town that is near the diglet to name one is a stark contrast from the first town you visit with the pokemon center.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I find it really bizarre that we don't see more complaints about this. I totally get the frustration with finding someone to do trade evos with, but it completely removes any desire to find rare pokemon anymore! There is something old school and fun about trying to hunt down a rare mon with a <5% encounter rate, even if it can get frustrating after a while. Crown Tundra was overall enjoyable but hunting for hours for a Stonejourner in the base game only to be literally stumbling into them every 5 feet was definitely disappointing. I think they need to find a balance between encounter rate and overworld availability. Maybe bringing back more environmental puzzles to hidden areas containing rare spawns or something.

EDIT: Also, how gutted do we think the Mt. Coronet routes and dungeon paths are going to be?

Yeah, I didn't like how lots of Galar Pokémon aren't even seen in the overworld in the base game, and now in the DLC they're like everywhere when you already have all of them (most likely). Better late then never I guess.

About Mt.Coronet, as I wrote on another post, I do wonder about this, not just this place, but Sinnoh in general. The old games' routes are heavily focused on the HM's like Strength, Rock Climb, Surf, Waterfall, etc.

How are they gonna implement the SwSh style with all these elements, so the map still makes sense, while being faithful to the original? How are they gonna implement HM after they already got rid of them in Gen VII (both having to teach them to a Pokémon in your party, and being impossible to forget)?

By having the Pokémon in the overworld, it's already going to eliminate a lot of the struggle of having to encounter a Pokémon every two steps, so how much can they water down the difficulty in that aspect before becoming a straight path?

I already wrote an essay a few pages ago about all my questions lol but basically my point is, we know many things are going to be removed or replaced, whether because they were done for the DS system, in terms of the dual screen and such, or because they're things that have already been removed in later generations, such as the Game Corner or the Safari Zone, HM's, but if they just remove and remove stuff, they'll end up removing the entire game, so they have to come up with something else to replace all these things that cannot be remade 100% accurately.

And it's the same reason I still believe we could be getting Sinnoh sequels instead or straight up remakes, so they can get away with removing stuff and coming up with completely new places or routes (for better or worse) by hiding behind the excuse of these games taking place several years later from the original ones.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I didn't like how lots of Galar Pokémon aren't even seen in the overworld in the base game, and now in the DLC they're like everywhere when you already have all of them (most likely). Better late then never I guess.

About Mt.Coronet, as I wrote on another post, I do wonder about this, not just this place, but Sinnoh in general. The old games' routes are heavily focused on the HM's like Strength, Rock Climb, Surf, Waterfall, etc.

How are they gonna implement the SwSh style with all these elements, so the map still makes sense, while being faithful to the original? How are they gonna implement HM after they already got rid of them in Gen VII (both having to teach them to a Pokémon in your party, and being impossible to forget)?

By having the Pokémon in the overworld, it's already going to eliminate a lot of the struggle of having to encounter a Pokémon every two steps, so how much can they water down the difficulty in that aspect before becoming a straight path?

I already wrote an essay a few pages ago about all my questions lol but basically my point is, we know many things are going to be removed or replaced, whether because they were done for the DS system, in terms of the dual screen and such, or because they're things that have already been removed in later generations, such as the Game Corner or the Safari Zone, HM's, but if they just remove and remove stuff, they'll end up removing the entire game, so they have to come up with something else to replace all these things that cannot be remade 100% accurately.

And it's the same reason I still believe we could be getting Sinnoh sequels instead or straight up remakes, so they can get away with removing stuff and coming up with completely new places or routes (for better or worse) by hiding behind the excuse of these games taking place several years later from the original ones.
HMs are really easy to just replace with key items like they've been doing since Gen 7. They should easily be able to have all 8 represented.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

Seabreak_Path_DP.png

d8dyeiq-5f5b9185-a10f-4f6c-9832-a48da7a98d9f.gif

watch them scrap the whole thing and just put Shaymin in a small square of land with a few flowers lol

nah, as I said pages ago, I'm happy with just having the Sinnoh games in the SwSh style. People always have the highest hopes for the next Pokémon game, as if it had to be the ultimate, most perfect one. But if they do so, then the progress won't show. What I mean is, from Sinnoh to Unova, there was a huge upgrade, and both were for the DS. From Kalos to Alola, the same. So I still have hope games will only keep getting better from here on, but maybe we won't see a huge upgrade until Generation IX, if it comes out for the Switch as well, which is the most likely I believe.

There's also this belief of Sinnoh remakes in particular having to be the most perfect ones, but it's like, it's only the fourth generation, we're still yet to get Unova remakes, Kalos, Alola, Galar, there's always room for improvement. That mentality might seem mediocre to most, but I rather see it the positive way lol

About Sinnoh in particular, or 2D games in general, I do get the nostalgia for it, and even though I enjoyed them a lot back in the day, like, I remember feeling the huge improvement from GBA to DS games, especially with the DS' touch screen, I still craved for something more. Now we're so used to the touch screen being on every device, from phones to tablets, laptops, monitors, etc, but back in the day it was such a novelty, it was like "THIS is the future" whenever I was holding the stylus to do things in the games. So in general it was fun, however, I do remember always feeling upset that we didn't get an XD/Colosseum kind of game for the Wii. I always dreamed of being able to play the Sinnoh games on the Wii, with Battle Revolution kind of graphics. Then for the Wii U we didn't get another RPG game either. So that's something that's bugged me for years. But now we're finally getting Sinnoh games in 3D. I can't wait to see the Spear Pillar, I can't wait to see the Cresselia story, the Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf caves, the Snowpoint City, the Unown cave, etc.

I'm not expecting them to look or feel any better than SwSh, and I'm in peace with that, I'll take it.

BioFan

Oct 31, 2017
I wish Pokémon looked like Ni no Kuni. I don't think that's asking too much. The artstyles are somewhat similar, but I think NNK does it better.

ni-no-kuni-der-fluch-der-wei%C3%9Fen-k%C3%B6nigin-remastered-ps4_6079047.jpg

latest

Al-Mamoon.jpg

ni-no-kuni_wrath_of_the_white_witch_screenshot_03.jpg

I just started playing Nino Kuni for the switch and missed it on the PS3. I can't believe this was a PS3 game, it looks amazing and imo is one of the best looking game ever made. The art style is just amazing. Love the Studio Ghibli feel in the game.
I agree, I'd love a Pokemon game that look as good as NNK. I was looking forward to Yokai Watch 4 but I guess that's not ever coming state side.

Jejefff

Jan 26, 2021
I dream one day Gamefreak will make Pokemon main games a big respected franchise again. It is so frustrating not being heard by them, they only care about Japan. I would love a BIG/Massive change for the franchise. It deserves to become an action RPG, FFVII style or something :(

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I dream one day Gamefreak will make Pokemon main games a big respected franchise again. It is so frustrating not being heard by them, they only care about Japan. I would love a BIG/Massive change for the franchise. It deserves to become an action RPG, FFVII style or something :(
You had me until the end, but so many people play Pokémon who would be left in the cold by a switch in battle system style. It's like the most accessible huge series for people with issues that affect button input and timing. That was one of the criticisms levelled at Let's Go.

Jejefff

Jan 26, 2021
You had me until the end, but so many people play Pokémon who would be left in the cold by a switch in battle system style. It's like the most accessible huge series for people with issues that affect button input and timing. That was one of the criticisms levelled at Let's Go.
The battle system is what I wish changed the most. You can win almost all battles in the adventure just by pressing A. Personally, I find no fun in preparing a team for online battle with the system we have. I tried in pokemon X/Y. It's the most bizarre thing in a game I ever did. One day, maybe... :(

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
The battle system is what I wish changed the most. You can win almost all battles in the adventure just by pressing A. Personally, I find no fun in preparing a team for online battle with the system we have. I tried in pokemon X/Y. It's the most bizarre thing in a game I ever did. One day, maybe... :(
That has nothing to do with the battle system. The same battle system online is incredibly complex. It has to do with the design philosophy for NPCs.

undefined

Jan 3, 2021
I know how complex it can be. I just want Pokemon to leave turn based battles in the past, so it can be more immersive with action oriented.
🤔 I wonder how to pull that off
To me turn-based systems make a lot of sense in Pokémon because you're a trainer issuing commands

Maybe an action cooldown could be an interesting change, also maybe make seamless in the world instead of changing to a battle screen, kinda like FFXII

I wouldn't call controlling a Pokémon "immersive" xD that's just Pokkén

Maybe shout commands in real time from afar or something like that

Though when I think of Pokémon I think of its current battle system honestly, maybe this stuff could be in spin-offs, like, a Pokkén with an overworld or something

Last edited:

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I know how complex it can be. I just want Pokemon to leave turn based battles in the past, so it can be more immersive with action oriented.
Is the myriad of JRPG series that have already abandoned turn-based/hybrid systems for button mashy action RPG combat not enough for you? Does every notable JRPG franchise need to be turned into DMC-lite before you're satisfied?

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Action-based Pokemon should be kept to experimental spin-off titles, not main-line games. You can improve the Pokemon battle system in many ways without getting rid of turn-based battles.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
battle system doesn't need to be changed, that's why we have the spin-off's, there you have Pokkén, Pokémon Masters, then we'll have Pokémon Unite, there have been many others too.

I'm kinda resigned with the main-line games, they are what they are, and some will be better titles than others, every jump of console will probably bring a mess with it, and it's up to everyone to keep up with it or skip it.

What I'd love is for the franchise to have more important spin-off's. I love how in the past we got the Mystery Dungeon and Pokémon Ranger series, now with the mobile approach, it's just not as exciting. My biggest dreams would be:

• a Super Smash kind of game with just Pokémon, and the stages based on different cities / places from every region
  • a Super Mario, adventure/platform kind of game, not open world, but just like the classic Super Mario games, where you could play not just as Pikachu, but other different kind of characters too, with worlds and levels and bosses, power-ups, etc.
these would become spin-off series with several titles per generation. The Super Smash could be 1 per console as the original, and the platform one could get 2 or 3 releases per console.

I know the main games are THE main games, but I feel like part of why there's always so many complaints is partly because of this lack of continuation between generations. This mentality of always wanted to start from scratch, and the desire to always keep appealing to kids when you keep accumulating a fanbase of adults form 25 years ago, it just always leave a lot of disappointment. With a new kind of titles they could satisfy the need to appeal to younger/new audiences and perhaps giving the veterans what they ask for on the mainline games.

The nature of the franchise, having so many different creatures, regions, types, abilities, forms, etc, has so much potential for all kinds of amazing games, I refuse to believe that the best they can do is things like Pokémon Quest, Café Mix, Rumble, Detective Pikachu, etc.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017

Did the previous gen games allow you to collect so many legendaries too ?

Honest question, got the Sword and Shields for my son's and my last Poke game was Yellow.

Oct 26, 2017

Honest question, got the Sword and Shields for my son's and my last Poke game was Yellow.

Legendary has always been post-game content ever since Gen IV (I would count Gen III but a good portion were event-exclusive).

In fact, ORAS and USUM are great for recent entries if all you care about is catching legendaries.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019

Usually the second games released in a generation would allow you to catch all the missing legendaries. That could put a hole in the argument that we should expect Diamond and Pearl remakes this generation because it's something that's usually used as an advertising bonus.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I never understand these desires for Pokémon to change genre. You think people are mad now, imagine a game where it's Action Based and so far more animations etc. required to look good. They'd have to do what Yo-kai Watch did and cut down to 100-200 to do that, if even that.

You don't need to change genre, they can still improve. Turn-based is still a valid genre

Necromanti

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What we really need is a Pokémon x SMT crossover. Post-apocalyptic world where the demons are Pokémon for you to recruit. Plus some actual challenge (& difficulty modes). Turn-based doesn't have to mean unchallenging or stale gameplay.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Platinum at the moment, I got the game used four/five years ago but it had a save file on it.

Post-game unlocked, legendaries caught, the works.

I finally decided to trade over the important items and mon's to my copy of Soul Silver, and deleted the save file.

Started afresh, got the starter I didn't want, traded that over as well.

Made another new save, chose the starter I wanted (now I have all three Gen 4 starters) and went on my merry way.

Sinnoh was certainly not an easy region to get around, but I attribute this to coming into the game wearing someone else's shoes quite literally and then I started a new game, and just blazed through using traded-over super'mon teams anyway. I lost that 'I travelled this path so I know the layout' mojo that these games have always done so well.

The Mt Coronet/Distortion World sequence was enjoyable, I can see how at the time it would have been much more impactful.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

The mainline Pokémon games have a lot that needs to be changed... this is not one of those things. Change this and you've alienated the demographic that buys these games. Most people do not want this change.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I never understand these desires for Pokémon to change genre. You think people are mad now, imagine a game where it's Action Based and so far more animations etc. required to look good. They'd have to do what Yo-kai Watch did and cut down to 100-200 to do that, if even that.

You don't need to change genre, they can still improve. Turn-based is still a valid genre
I like the turn-based elements of Pokemon, I just wish it was a bit snappier, or at least gave the option to be so outside of speeding up text boxes moment to moment.

For a game that is mostly about being in battles, the battles themselves in the last few gens have been so, so slow. I don't see why they need to be. Black and White felt so punchy in comparison.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any 4chan rumors? I like reading those for fun and knowing the last few games there might actually be a legit leak out there.
Are we expecting this game to be revealed this month? ORAS got revealed the May of its release date.
Hard to say, ORAS weren't released in a big anniversary year so they aren't the best comparison. I think it's possible they announce them with a short CG trailer and then do the proper game reveal in May or June.

Dec 21, 2020
Pokémon being turn based is completely valid, they just need to further refine it and shift in-game philosophy like exp share being optional (again).

Pokemon can get more complex in battle system execution in-game.

Also, I guess make the actual battles look prettier =P, more accurate size proportions, battle field being the same way DQXI did it =P

Nitpicks yes, but appreciated

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Like the only thing I would change about the sinnoh region design is how much the terrain slows you down in it. Marsh and Snowlands are fun ideas on paper and it makes sense that traversing them should be trickier, but did we constantly have to get stuck in the marsh all the time, and did the slow really need to slow us down that much?

I expect those to be removed because we never really saw terrain like that in any future pokemon game since.

Hope it is platinum version...

I'm expecting Diamond and Pearl base games with a Platinum themed DLC pack at the moment to be honest. I hope to be proven wrong.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Pokémon being turn based is completely valid, they just need to further refine it and shift in-game philosophy like exp share being optional (again).

Pokemon can get more complex in battle system execution in-game.

Also, I guess make the actual battles look prettier =P, more accurate size proportions, battle field being the same way DQXI did it =P

Nitpicks yes, but appreciated
I just think they need to make it faster paced. It's so painfully slow, and there are too many messages explaining what is going on like it's a gameboy game, instead of showing it visually.