Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum is in my top 3 Pokémon games but it has aged HORRIBLY. Tried to replay it a few weeks ago and almost fell asleep trying to reach the first gym, it's in dire need of a remake. And I loved ORAS

HGSS was on the Diamond and Pearl engine and it turned out great. Engines mean jack
Very true, so I'll give you that, however I just don't have that much faith in GF as I did back during Gen 4. Especially after ORAS was a bit disappointing to me

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please be amazing remakes. ORAS was so disappointing.

My fear is that auto XP share will enabled, Dynamaxing will be present, and the overall difficulty will plunge relative to the originals. Also really hoping for an art design/aesthetic that doesn't mimic Sword and Shield.
Given what has been posted, rest assured for all your fears have been confirmed.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Please no. We've seen how badly they've botched all remakes post HGSS. I'd genuinely just be okay with a emulated port with online and fancy screen borders.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Very true, so I'll give you that, however I just don't have that much faith in GF as I did back during Gen 4. Especially after ORAS was a bit disappointing to me
I don't know gen 4 so far is very similar to 8 to me. Decent base games that look not too great (and swsh is better than dp in this regard), followed by an expansion that turns the boat around gameplay wise, and then remakes.

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted HGSS remakes. The real gen 4 (my favorite games). Wonder what gimmick is in this game (Dynamax mega?)
HGSS are the best games in the entire series. it never got better. is there any room at gamefreak to go up from there? I imagine they'd only go down, "upgrading" graphics but removing features. I'd love to be wrong.
if they remade gen2 again, instead of trying to upgrade HGSS further I imagine they'd sidestep, like a Let's Go Johto
...which I'd also be down for
Or they could do a switch virtual console release like they did with RBYGSC on 3DS, I'd buy it

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
They also mentioned something else in their newspost about "Legends"

Pokémon Legends: Arceus | Official Website | Pokémon

Survey, catch, and research wild Pokémon in a long-gone era of the Sinnoh region to complete the region’s first Pokédex.

Does the same thing so this is clearly their source. They had someone point them to the subdomain or have a script crawling subdomains
What do you think? We're expecting some announcement during february, isn't too early to activate a domain?

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
bGClQMDtjdRPVwas7iAo3KgCKj37fH57wWfoAzk44oM.jpg

But picture Dawn instead
POV: You are the biggest media IP in the world, and mobile ftp games are running laps around you

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
They've always done that ever since Gen 3. A baseline new generation game in a new region and a remake of a previous Pokemon game would be using that same engine with some improvements. For example Diamond and Pearl's engines were complete garbage but Platinum and HGSS refined them to be much more tolerable. The remakes will likely still have a number of improvements to the engine because they've always built off of it over the course of the generation

This is HD development and I don't think Gamfreak can make a radical improvement like they did with sprite based games. Especially as it is increasingly more costly and eats into their profits, which is their biggest concern.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Can someone give me a TLDR on why everyone hates ORAS? HGSS are incredible obviously, but I didn't think ORAS were bad.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Gen 4 was the peak of Pokémon IMO but I'm struggling to get excited for this. I just don't trust gamefreak to deliver.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing how they do it considering how different D/P is from the current stuff.

My brain and soul can't take any more Pokemon fan discourse after the lead up to Sw/Sh though so I'm just gonna sit out all the speculation this time lmao

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What do you think? We're expecting some announcement during february, isn't too early to activate a domain?
Without knowing when they activated the subdomains it's hard to say. Could just be up for testing reasons ahead of it. It's just a subdomain...it's hard to say

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
*Sigh*

They are going to recycle the Arceus, Manaphy, and Darkrai events for season pass filler, aren't they?

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
After the Hoenn remakes I don't know what to expect... If this is true we will know next month.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Excited but seeing as SWSH were a let down in many ways I'm not sure they can improve enough to make them great remakes. I'll still take what they're giving though and hopefully they can introduce the Pokemon that didn't make it into SWSH. I hope they bring back the events for shaymin darkrai and arceus and that underground thing.
Aren't these some of the least regarded games in the series? I'd actually have preferred another G/S remake.
Ok the contrary they are some of the most applauded other than D/P being very slow.

Ohtsam

Oct 18, 2018
Hopefully they don't match the difficulty to Pokemon as of Sun/Moon and later. The games have been way too easy in recent years. (not that D/P was all that hard either)

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is HD development and I don't think Gamfreak can make a radical improvement like they did with sprite based games. Especially as it is increasingly more costly and eats into their profits, which is their biggest concern.
Even the DLC they did for Sword and Shield looked much better than the original Wild Area that was in the original game and even then the towns and regular routes in the looked alright.

Its not fair to denounce the entire games art style and visuals especially for a newer game that's had more time to cook in the oven when they've historically always improved the visuals for later titles and even in the original game still had a handful of appealing locals that were overshadowed by the Wild Area

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
The best thing about this news is that we're inching closer to the Gen 5 remakes, which is the second best Gen behind Gen 2.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
News: The generation in most need of a remake is getting a remake.

Seriously, go back and try to play the original Diamond/Pearl. It's atrocious in terms of pacing, visuals, music and just general design (why are so many new evolutions/evolutionary lines with new forms locked behind the post-game?!); I would take vanilla Sword/Shield over it any day.

Platinum is only slightly less painful to suffer through.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't the domain have whatever new titles the remakes have instead of just Diamond and Pearl?

Oct 25, 2017
yes i am sure gamefreak is really hurting for money
(this is more commentary on gamefreak's decisions than on your post)

Last edited:

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I mean i dunno i felt it was obvious we were getting D/P remakes this year. Just felt like it was time. Hopefully the dex is expanded and we get some regional forms as well.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit out of the loop. Did we ever get a crystal remake? Gen II was my favourite.

I wish they wouldn't release two versions of things anymore.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Adding to the OP lol
May want to add this as we've found their source

They also mentioned something else in their newspost about "Legends"

Pokémon Legends: Arceus | Official Website | Pokémon

Survey, catch, and research wild Pokémon in a long-gone era of the Sinnoh region to complete the region’s first Pokédex.

Does the same thing so this is clearly their source. They had someone point them to the subdomain or have a script crawling subdomains

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
News: The generation in most need of a remake is getting a remake.

Seriously, go back and try to play the original Diamond/Pearl. It's atrocious; I would take vanilla Sword/Shield over it any day.
You're not wrong that Diamond and Pearl are awful and even base Sword and Shield were a step up over them but Platinum and HGSS were the main reason Gen 4 was perceived as fondly as they are. If they pulled a Gen 6 with DP and the only Sinnoh games were Diamond and Pearl I can promise you that Gen 4 wouldn't be nearly as fondly remembered now as they were back then

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I pray that this turns out well. D/P are my most nostalgic generation and I love the games dearly.