• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OT2 Subtitle Nominations

• Second Course

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 21 Jump Plus Street

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • The Future Rules

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • He just like me fr

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • My Chainsaw Academia

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
0UY48Hp.jpg

sE39VLe.png

When his father died, Denji was stuck with a huge debt and no way to pay it back. Thanks to a Devil dog he saved named Pochita, he's able to survive through odd jobs and killing Devils for the Yakuza. Pochita's chainsaw powers come in handy against these powerful demons. When the Yakuza betrays him and he's killed by the Zombie Devil, Pochita sacrifices himself to save his former master. Now Denji has been reborn as some kind of weird Devil-Human hybrid. He is now Chainsaw Man!

After his transformation, he's quickly recruited by Makima and forced to join the Public Safety Devil Hunters under threat of extermination now that he's technically a Devil. Now that he's living comfortably for the first time in his life, Denji struggles to determine his dreams and form meaningful relationships while killing Devils and working alongside other eccentric Devil Hunters.

vi44gPh.png

0Z6qPSs.png

(Shamelessly lifted from the Dr Stone, Promised Neverland, and MHA OTs)​
  • Do not post scans or links to scans. (includes no posting watermarked manga images)​
  • Do not discuss the contents of a chapter before it comes out officially​
  • Try not to post the overly NSFW stuff from the manga​
  • Be wise with your demon contracts​

NyfR0hW.png

In simple categorization, Chainsaw Man is a Battle Shonen based on devil contracts as a mechanic. If it were only that it would still rank, for many, as a high tier manga simply on its execution. The world building based on devil human relations, the power dynamics, unique power usages and devil types, to the astounding action sequences and beautiful full page moments (which seems to be what drags people in to begin with), are all implemented with a skill and pacing that makes Chainsaw Man feel like a fast read. That said, even though these may be the things that pull people in and the staples of its genre, for me Chainsaw Man really shines in its display of humanity.

The core of Chainsaw Man is, for me at least, staying human even when things are bleak. The manga has consequences and with a running theme of pain it knows how to make you hurt but it somehow perfectly balances this with a sense of lightheartedness in all the insanity with either warm downtime or optimistic childlike humor. The manga starts with the MC being hopeless but maintaining both simple empathy and simpler optimism and that theme seems to run through the entire series. The way this has been expressed through the manga so far gets me to care for the growing cast more and more each week. So if you dare to care, go ahead and give it a few chapter read. If nothing else, hopefully the humor gets to ya.

(Will add characters sometime later. Please excuse the poor subtitle. Will change if the community comes up with one)​

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Finally Era has been blessed with a Chainsawman OT. Shit got real in today's chapter.

Love the title too tbh

OP
OP
Midramble

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The last handful of chapters have been awesome and the endless quality of character additions is astounding. Today's escalations got me in such a frenzy that I had to put this OT together. It's raced to the top as my most waited for weekly manga and I'm reading through most of Jumps top weekly lineups.

Oct 25, 2017
Aww yeah, about time we got a Chainsaw Man thread.
Last couple chapters have been so good. Major mindscrews but it keeps me hooked.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Nice OT!

Even though I dont know what is happening in the recent chapters, the series a lot of fun nonetheless.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see an OT for this!
The last two chapters I have no idea what's going on but know that I love it.
Lol same

story is getting crazy. all in though!

Can someone explain Santa to me? last chapter confused me.
From how I understand it, the man we thought was Santa was actually a doll created by the real Santa, who is that girl that trained Tolka. Also her grandfather I guess.

OP
OP
Midramble

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Can someone explain Santa to me? last chapter confused me.

From my understanding, Santa is the woman who commands the Doll Demon. Her ability is to control people. The specifics to trap someone as a doll seems strict (the list of guilt, admirations, etc). This is how she has her grandpa and her student under under control. Using her Grandpa as a proxy she gathers 4 children to be adopted for 3 of them to be sacrificed with her grandpa to send everyone to hell, all so that her student as a proxy could bring the chainsaw heart to Darkness as a contract offering for his power so she can kill Makima. The german paper she (through her grandpa) gets says "Makima can hear you. The Sinking is near. Kill Makima".

Also I love all the fan theories out there on Makima

Makima is or has the contract for the Primordial Fear of God Demon. Hence being in high places and needing to be in a shrine and being against all the other demons.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding, Santa is the woman who commands the Doll Demon. Her ability is to control people. The specifics to trap someone as a doll seems strict (the list of guilt, admirations, etc). This is how she has her grandpa and her student under under control. Using her Grandpa as a proxy she gathers 4 children to be adopted for 3 of them to be sacrificed with her grandpa to send everyone to hell, all so that her student as a proxy could bring the chainsaw heart to Darkness as a contract offering for his power so she can kill Makima. The german paper she (through her grandpa) gets says "Makima can hear you. The Sinking is near. Kill Makima".

Also I love all the fan theories out there on Makima

Makima is or has the contract for the Primordial Fear of God Demon. Hence being in high places and needing to be in a shrine and being against all the other demons.
Ooooooh that's a really fun theory on Makima. I like it a lot. Would explain a lot of her weird quirks, and how her contracted Devil is able to do so damn much.

What' I'm wondering about is why the Primordial Darkness Demon even gives a crap about Denji.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Cool, an OT

The Darkness Devil's entrance was soooo good, with all those cut-in-half astronauts and the arm stealing. Like what the hell.

I really want this series to get an anime someday, but at the same time, I feel like it would be incredibly hard to do it justice.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the lasz chapter is pure insanity.Those astronauts give me the creeps lol.
Ooooooh that's a really fun theory on Makima. I like it a lot. Would explain a lot of her weird quirks, and how her contracted Devil is able to do so damn much.

What' I'm wondering about is why the Primordial Darkness Demon even gives a crap about Denji.
Maybe Makima and her devil are in cahoots with the chainsaw, and getting the chainsaw as a hostage gives the primeval demons some leverage against Makima and co.

They always talk about Denjis heart. They dont care about Denji himself. What I'm wondering is whats behind the door Denji isnt supposed to open. Looks like its like one of those doors the darkness devil fell out of.

OP
OP
Midramble

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Yeah the lasz chapter is pure insanity.Those astronauts give me the creeps lol.
Maybe Makima and her devil are in cahoots with the chainsaw, and getting the chainsaw as a hostage gives the primeval demons some leverage against Makima and co.

They always talk about Denjis heart. They dont care about Denji himself. What I'm wondering is whats behind the door Denji isnt supposed to open. Looks like its like one of those doors the darkness devil fell out of.

I guess theories don't need to be in spoilers but,
My theory on Denji/chainsaw demon's heart is that the heart of the chainsaw demon is the primordial fear of death (theoretically the most powerful as it's the original fear). Thought this as soon as they introduced the idea of primordial fears because the only way demons arrive on earth is when they die in hell, and all of them seem to die from the chainsaw. My theory is that death wanted to walk the earth and crossed over in chainsaw and thats why he wants to experience Denji and his simple human dreams. The demons need him back in hell because it's they only way they can cross over.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Darkness and God make sense as primordial fear. I imagine we'll see fear of Death sometime in the future too.

I wonder what other fear can be seen as primordial fear

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this arc has been really great so far.
Honestly the whole concept of the fears of the mass human conscience being devils with their power being determined by that fears excess is a really, really interesting concept. I've loved that the world building has been slowly fleshed out at a decent pace.
It immediately makes you think of what we could see in the future and how powerful they could be. Death, God, Apocolypse and even maybe a Devil Devil.
And the author has done a good job at keeping us on our toes in terms of what to expect in how they're represented - In any other manga a darkness devil might be a black silhouette with dark steam coming off it, or maybe a black suit of armour... instead we got... that. The astronauts probably representing fear of the dark endless void of space was really really cool... if that was the intention.

Oct 25, 2017
My theory on Denji/chainsaw demon's heart is that the heart of the chainsaw demon is the primordial fear of death (theoretically the most powerful as it's the original fear). Thought this as soon as they introduced the idea of primordial fears because the only way demons arrive on earth is when they die in hell, and all of them seem to die from the chainsaw. My theory is that death wanted to walk the earth and crossed over in chainsaw and thats why he wants to experience Denji and his simple human dreams. The demons need him back in hell because it's they only way they can cross over.

That's a really interesting theory and I never really thought about what would be going on in Hell during all this.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Easily, EASILY, the best current series in jump. Amazing how well it develops characters and events in the series, and how it sets up chekov guns.

Seeing curse demon being used in a such a different way just the other chapter was so cool.

Can't wait to see other primordial fears. Death, aggression, pain, hunger, disease, UNKNOWN. bring them all

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love the manga and I still don't know where we will go yet. Feels like Fire Punch.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad there is OT for this amazing manga. The last few chapter in particular have been mind blowing <3

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Still blows my mind that this runs in a shonen magazine.
And Shonen Jump at that.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Finally!

This has been my most favorite thing to read in all of 2019, it just keep getting crazier and visually stimulating. It's leaps beyond everything else in SJ atm. I kind would love to see it explode similar to Demon Slayer only to see what kind of impact it could have on the magazine.

The first thing that Chainsaw Man reminds me of is punk music: often loud, rough, dumb, violent and energetic, but also capable of being deep and very human at it's core.

I am already thinking of |OT2| To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Power

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I am currently reading the battle against Bomb Girl, and Denji is riding the shark - amazing "Sharknado" battle, I should have given a second possibility to this series before.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Oh nice OT, glad to see this series getting more popular, it's currently my second favorite ongoing Shonen

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Finally!

This has been my most favorite thing to read in all of 2019, it just keep getting crazier and visually stimulating. It's leaps beyond everything else in SJ atm. I kind would love to see it explode similar to Demon Slayer only to see what kind of impact it could have on the magazine.

The first thing that Chainsaw Man reminds me of is punk music: often loud, rough, dumb, violent and energetic, but also capable of being deep and very human at it's core.

I am already thinking of |OT2| To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Power
As somebody who's read more than their fair share of 90's comics... be careful what you wish for. A lot of works that would imitate something like Chainsaw would fuck it up very very badly.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
As somebody who's read more than their fair share of 90's comics... be careful what you wish for. A lot of works that would imitate something like Chainsaw would fuck it up very very badly.

Ahahah yeah, I see what you mean. I didn't mean literally of course.
I just think that it could give a strong push for non-orthodox series in the magazine, TPN and Dr. Stone have the same vibes as Chainsaw Man in terms of being a breath of fresh air, but both fell off pretty quickly for me.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Do the characters ever get likeable in this? The premise aside, I liked the idea of a disturbed youth grappling with sex, but never cared for how Makima manipulated his development over it.

I don't remember when I fell off; I think after that one demon let Denji grope her?

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Do the characters ever get likeable in this? The premise aside, I liked the idea of a disturbed youth grappling with sex, but never cared for how Makima manipulated his development over it.

I don't remember when I fell off; I think after that one demon let Denji grope her?
Who care about Makima. Everyone care about Denji chasing his simple dream.

About the question
, Like them and then died. It's like a cycle of suffering.

OP
OP
Midramble

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

The tone shifts after that arc. (By chapter 23-ish actually) Its less about grappling with sex, hence his reaction to that chapter and more about grappling with human connection.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's not really grappling with sex, it's really just Denji being such an outcast he doesn't care about anything but basic instincts, and not really knowing how to handle other human beings.

There are some great twists later on. It's super good.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain

I mean, it's not like the guy has any way to know he's being manipulated. Due to his upbringing he must have the mental development of not too bright 10-year-old tops. Him falling heads over heels for Makima and doing every and anything for her is one of the most realistic aspects of the series tbh.

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I freaking love this manga, its unpredictable but also coherent in what goes on. The demons are crazy creative and the human characters are no slouch either.

Just don't fuck with Makima. Damn.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't know what did you guys expected outside of being torn to even more pieces lol

I can't really read the last page very well though...

Anywany, Shark and Violence are the realest homies

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers

Gun Devil is nothing. Darkness Devil is my new overlord.
People speculated that Arai is the Violence Fiend. Unmasked he kind of looks like him, though he doesn't have his scar.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Didn't know this had an OT. Great! Next chapter is going to be wild so I will wait for further discussion.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anyone think this arm cutting thing is permanent? Or there will be something to restore them back to normal after this arc? I can't imagine the story continue with every character losing their arms.

It kinda give me Infinity War vibe. When popular character like Spider-man and Black Panther are dusted, you kinda expect they will come back in the end.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Anyone think this arm cutting thing is permanent? Or there will be something to restore them back to normal after this arc? I can't imagine the story continue with every character losing their arms.

It kinda give me Infinity War vibe. When popular character like Spider-man and Black Panther are dusted, you kinda expect they will come back in the end.
Makima has someone who can put eyeballs back.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Got admit; I'm more and more surprised with every chapter that this is in Shonen Jump.

The Manga started terribly, just like every other forgettable Shonen manga.

And now we're here. It's fresh, it's weird, it's not boring.

The space suit thing was particularly creative.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's was wild!!
Love it

I wonder which ones will be really dead
Stone's guy is dead dead, the rest is unclear