• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Is there a character that you can think of that despite not being the only main character (like Bayonetta or Samus are for example) still leavese other characters in the dust when it comes to popularity or attention.
A case I have noticed is Fio, one of the 4 main characters of Metal Slug, because when seeing Fan Arts, cosplays or whatever of the series she gets most of the attention, and sure part of it is probably because she is an attractive woman, but even Eri who can also be seen as a "waifu" and often appears in the same games as Fio, doesn't get nearly as much attention at all.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Charizard

Edit: it is a joke post, but also not. They are not a "main character", but they kinda are, as you can both arguee that Pokémon are the main/co-main characters of the game, as well as Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur are the "main" ones for Red, Blue and Green.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Sho Minamimoto from (NEO)TWEWY seems more popular than either Neku OR Rindo whenever the series comes up.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ask a person to name a Dragon Quest character and the first thing that comes to mind is probably the Slime.

10061023.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Does Terra from FFVI count? She's borderline "main" main character I'd say, if you consider her as part of the cast she's obviously the most popular.
Also Aqua from the Kingdom Hearts BBS trio.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of how Yuri from Tales of Vesperia got banned from official tales popularity polls because he always won lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You could pretty convincingly make the case that Goro Majima is the breakout character of the Yakuza series.

ElementaryTemptingGander-size_restricted.gif

Chun

Jan 9, 2018
Ezio.
I love him and he IS my favorite but between Edward and Kassandra the series has pumped out other great Assassins.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Pyra Mythra and Nia dwarf every other playable character in XBC2 in terms of popularity

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
The cast of Final Fantasy XII is an interesting case study, as Ashe is the main protagonist that's making crucial decisions that will move the party and plot onward, Balthier is the breakout character/show-stealer, white-slice Vaan is our POV character of the story, and like him or not, he is the doofus who helps us learn about the world of St. Ivalice during this specific time period the story takes place in. Then you have Penelo, Basch, and Fran that are supporting to those other three, respectively.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
622379-yakuzalikeadragonkasuga.jpg

This is kinda anecdotal but I've seen a warmer reception to Ichiban Kasuga over previous iconic series protagonists. Like I think Easy Allies and MinnMax voted him as the best character of 2020 despite games like Last of Us 2 and Hades releasing that year.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Ike is the most popular character in the Fire Emblem series despite his games being among the worse selling entries.
Roy is also very popular and from a non-popular entry. And yes, it's thanks to Smash. Though Ike was already popular beforehand.
And there is Lyn who is also among the most popular characters and her game also isn't a big seller.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Bridget, Zappa and ABA from Guilty Gear?
I feel like Baiken and Dizzy are the two that are hugely popular. I guess Bridget has the same "everyone loves the character but no one plays the character" energy that Baiken has, but at least Baiken has remained relevant in the series and in crossover things over the years.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Every 5 star character in Genshin Impact cus Hoyo made the MC so powerless that you are forced to invest infinite money in a roulette to get a decent playable one. XD

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Feels like most of these answers are wrong so far. The OP is specifically asking for side characters that are massively more popular than the main characters.

I would say Solaire from Dark Souls since the Chosen Undead is the main character.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Are we talking games where there are multiple player characters on and one of them skyrockets in popularity over the others?

Haven't played much Final Fight, but Mike Haggar seems to be very popular compared to Guy and, to a lesser extent, Cody. Haggar was the one I always saw requested to join Marvel VS Capcom back before 3 released, altho that might've been because unlike Guy + Cody, he hadn't made the jump to Street Fighter or any 2-D fighter

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Baiken and Dizzy are the two that are hugely popular. I guess Bridget has the same "everyone loves the character but no one plays the character" energy that Baiken has, but at least Baiken has remained relevant in the series and in crossover things over the years.

Agreed. Bridget is really popular with one specific subset of the community but he hasn't been in a game in damn near an eternity and is never front-facing when Guilty Gear crosses over with other IP.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Hmm does this only count for fandom or developers too?
For Resident Evil I would have said Jill was the standout with fans but due to Capcoms actions they've kinda made it all about Chris and Jill is just a footnote.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Feels like most of these answers are wrong so far. The OP is specifically asking for side characters that are massively more popular than the main characters.

I would say Solaire from Dark Souls since the Chosen Undead is the main character.
Eh kinda, the example I guess was 1 out of 4 main characters that is way more popular than the other 3. Most of the examples I have seen are fine.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I'm surprised nobody said Chun li yet. She's not the main character but definitely as much the face of the franchise as Ryu and Ken. Capcom at one point said they will never make a street fighter without Ryu and Chun li again so she might have been promoted to main character

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm does this only count for fandom or developers too?
For Resident Evil I would have said Jill was the standout with fans but due to Capcoms actions they've kinda made it all about Chris and Jill is just a footnote.

Really? Because I do feel you hear people talk more about Leon and Wesker with regards to Resident Evil.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Oh, I thought OP meant who was the standout character in a game with multiple playable characters.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a good example:

Genosmrpg.png

Now obviously Geno isn't more popular than the mainline Mario cast, but speaking purely in the context of Square's Mario RPG originals, he's certainly the stand out favorite. To the point where he weirdly became a hugely requested Smash Bros. candidate.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Jill and Leon are the most popular RE characters but Capcom keeps jamming non-Jill characters into RE for some reason.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Talking about characters that haven't been mentioned yet: Sub-Zero and Scorpion are effectively the faces of Mortal Kombat nowadays.

Both are better known than any other character from the roster and far more popular than Liu Kang, who was originally intended as the hero of the story.

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Falcon stand out as a character who's pretty popular even though his series is dead dead dead.

He's been of an icon for Smash for longer than for his own series I think.