CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Raiden from MGS2 specifically.
raiden.png

Zyaghini

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Spartan Locke. The Hunt the Truth ads leading up to Halo 5 made it seem like 343 was positioning him as a potential replacement for Master Chief.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
If we're going to bring Anime into this then my first thought always goes to:

TorikoVol1Cover.jpg

The Manga had a good run, but Shueisha and Toei were so transparently trying to push Toriko as their next big pillar to stand alongside One Piece and Naruto during it's height. The anime eventually petered out to the point where it's English dub got canned like halfway through and that rarely happened in the 2010s. Especially given how much series like MHA, Promised Neverland, Demon Slayer and JJK all came out after and just outperformed it but domestically and internationally.

Oct 25, 2017
In media, sometimes they try to hype up a character as the being the next big thing but for some reason this does not work at all. So what are examples you can think of? One that comes to mind for me is Toriko. Like they gave the dude an appearance in One Piece, he appeared with Goku and Luffy in a crossover and for J-Stars he was hyped up along the big 3. Yet he is nowhere near as popular and is forgotten

Toriko still hurts.
It was my favorite manga, but the it clearly got canceled during the Giant Shell arc.
It had its usual great pacing, and then suddenly the next chapter cancels the tournament and starts a wild break neck sprint to finish off the series in the next 60 chapters.
We got, at best, a cliff notes version of what was actually supposed to happen.

It boggles my mind that a manga that was delivering such epic chapters every week was that unpopular.
Not to mention the absolute insult that was the anime's ending.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
150603102609-green-lantern-ryan-reynolds-super-169.jpg

Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern was originally meant to kickstart DC's cinematic universe.

Oct 27, 2017
This is false. Toriyama's stated reason for Goku returning as the hero has nothing to do with the fans.

Interviewer: And then the Cell arc ended. Did you think that everyone felt you would put Gohan into the leading role?

Akira Toriyama: I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn't work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
ok, I stand corrected. I always heard that pressure was put on him by readers to put the focus back on Goku.

I don't get the not suitable part. He probably means he preferred and felt more comfortable writing Goku which is understandable I guess.

It's easy to fold to yourself

and this is true lol

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There will never be another Charizard cause Game Freak and Pokémon fans love nostalgia too much but Cinderace is certainly pretty popular. Both in the Fandom and.....other places lol.
If anything I feel like Blaziken is the "next Charizard," it got a Mega Evolution in XY before the rest of the Hoenn starters, and is still one of the most popular starters to this day, Fire types or otherwise.

I guess though by polling Greninja is the most popular non-Kanto starter, but that was also probably helped by Smash.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If we're going to bring Anime into this then my first thought always goes to:

TorikoVol1Cover.jpg

The Manga had a good run, but Shueisha and Toei were so transparently trying to push Toriko as their next big pillar to stand alongside One Piece and Naruto during it's height. The anime eventually petered out to the point where it's English dub got canned like halfway through and that rarely happened in the 2010s. Especially given how much series like MHA, Promised Neverland, Demon Slayer and JJK all came out after and just outperformed it but domestically and internationally.

IIRC, Bleach was rapidly declining in popularity at the time.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Toriko flopping was a self-inflicted wound by Toei

The manga has a ton of gore and over-the-top violence, and Toei decided to sanitize the shit out of it while also giving the series crap production values and animating Toriko's signature moves to resemble glowy Dragon Ball ki blasts, even though that's not what it was supposed to be like.

They even forced a needless OC into the series who served no purpose. It was a mess.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
ok, I stand corrected. I always heard that pressure was put on him by readers to put the focus back on Goku.

I don't get the not suitable part. He probably means he preferred and felt more comfortable writing Goku which is understandable I guess.

The way I look at it, it's the conflict between an Active vs Reactive protagonist. The active protagonist is someone who is an ongoing goal and actually initiates a lot of what happens in the plot. The reactive protagonist is someone who is comparatively more passive and reacts to circumstances causing the plot to happen.

Gohan falls into the latter category, and that can be a hard character to write a long-form story for. Hell Gohan's biggest moment that the fandom loves during the Cell Saga all came about because Goku made him fight Cell. So yeah, I can imagine that Toriyama found himself frustrated writing Gohan as the lead character because he's not exactly the type to move the plot forward.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm glad Toriko flopped on account of the author being a pedophile, and that's all I'll say on that.

The way I look at it, it's the conflict between an Active vs Reactive protagonist. The active protagonist is someone who is an ongoing goal and actually initiates a lot of what happens in the plot. The reactive protagonist is someone who is comparatively more passive and reacts to circumstances causing the plot to happen.

Gohan falls into the latter category, and that can be a hard character to write a long-form story for. Hell Gohan's biggest moment that the fandom loves during the Cell Saga all came about because Goku made him fight Cell. So yeah, I can imagine that Toriyama found himself frustrated writing Gohan as the lead character because he's not exactly the type to move the plot forward.
It's interesting too as you read/watch the Buu arc, and it feels like it had too many cooks in the kitchen meddling with it - as was the confirmed case with the Cell arc, as both his ex-editor and current editor kept criticizing the direction the story took, which is why it changed villains so many times - but by Toriyama's account, his editor during Buu was very hands off. I think that combined with general fatigue of writing a weekly manga for a decade accounts for everything the Buu arc is, for better or worse.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
mission-rogue.jpg

I remember hearing, at the time, that Renner was supposed to take the baton from Cruise in the MI films. That lasted about half a movie.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
I feel like Sarada from Boruto has gone nowhere and faded far into the background of the series as it has gone on.
From a fan reaction standpoint I think this applies to all of the Boruto characters. From my perspective at least it seems like the series tends to get most of it's attention when Naruto and Sasuke are prominent.

Oct 27, 2017
In ASOIAF, it felt like George R.R. Martin wanted to turn Darkstar into a bigger character. Readers laughed at him when he said, "Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night." That was pretty much the end of that.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah kids from the prequel era love those movies too.

Fucking kids though. Don't know these children movies are ours and ours alone? We were here before them and I am pretty sure we could take them in a fight.
Imagine being me, loving the prequels (my first Star Wars movie), only to have the internet tell you how bad they are :(

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've talked about this before but personally I feel like the attempt to pass the mantle to Gohan was kind of a mixed bag for a lot of reasons, so while I sympathize with his diehard fans, I don't mind where things ended up.

That said, if I was Toriyama - and boy "if I was Toriyama" would lead into so many other different scenarios, but that's another topic - I would pen a movie where Gohan gets to be the unquestioned hero and saves the day, to throw said diehard fans a bone. Sort of like Bojack I guess, but with a story personally crafted around Gohan and a scenario where Goku/Vegeta can't overcome the problem by themselves.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
mission-rogue.jpg

I remember hearing, at the time, that Renner was supposed to take the baton from Cruise in the MI films. That lasted about half a movie.
I think this one was mostly down to Avengers blowing up. He couldn't do both MI and MCU at the same time due to scheduling reasons and had to drop one of them, and he chose to drop MI.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being me, loving the prequels (my first Star Wars movie), only to have the internet tell you how bad they are :(
If it makes you feel better a lot of the same people also don't seem to wash their hands after they go to the bathroom so maybe don't take their opinions on anything too seriously!

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
I think this one was mostly down to Avengers blowing up. He couldn't do both MI and MCU at the same time due to scheduling reasons and had to drop one of them, and he chose to drop MI.
I always looked at it as Cruise deciding he needed MI after all. Renner was supposed to be the new star of the Bourne series too, IIRC.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 8 and 16 bit era is riddled with corpses of wannabe-mascots that never succeeded.

Alex Kidd, Kid Chameleon, Earthworm Jim (though arguably this was one of the most successful, less successful, mascots), Aero the Acrobat, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, Zool, Dinamite Heady, James Pond... to name a few.

Edit: How could I forget the Cheetahmen!

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy Renner in general.
  • Next Bourne.
  • Next Hunt.
  • OG Avenger.
Gets cut out of both franchises and only OG Avenger not getting his own movie.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shujinko
Taven
Cassie Cage

All tried to replace Liu Kang as the main hero of Mortal Kombat.

They all failed.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The 8 and 16 bit era is riddled with corpses of wannabe-mascots that never succeeded.

Alex Kidd, Kid Chameleon, Earthworm Jim (though arguably this was one of the most successful, less successful, mascots), Aero the Acrobat, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, Zool, Dinamite Heady, James Pond... to name a few.

Don't think Dynamite Headdy was mascot chasing, just an odd-ball Treasure game published by a company that... already had one of the world's most popular mascots?

Alex Kidd may have been seen as trying to chase Mario, but it was actually SEGA flipping assets from a Master System Dragon Ball game that I assume licensing fell through.

Should also add Rocket Knight Adventure to your list despite the fact that it is better than every game on your list (combined).

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I remember all the stupidity surrounding Aurra Sing aka "Babe Fett" in Episode 1