• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The difference is that you'd be using your child for internet points. The child's perspective of what the fuck is going on is not an excuse.

And sharing funny videos on the internet is worse than sharing funny videos on tv? The childs perspective is 100% relevant since many posters claim its causing undue stress on the child and breaking their trust in the parent.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Thanks to this highly informative thread I've learned that I'm guilty of child abuse due to the many teddy bears I threw at my little brother.

(Did actually made the poor little bugger cry once. The teddy had an especially solid nose button.)

The videos are hilarious. Dumb, admittedly, but hilarious.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be about a dad throwing a cheese slice in an obviously joking way at his ten-year-old son who would get immediately that it was just dad goofing off and maybe throw a slice back. Dumb, especially as a social media challenge, but not that surprising.

But intentionally making babies upset? WTF?

Oct 25, 2017
China
And sharing funny videos on the internet is worse than sharing funny videos on tv? The childs perspective is 100% relevant since many posters claim its causing undue stress on the child and breaking their trust in the parent.
Americans Funniest Home Videos had many winners where the kids were being embarassed on TV, sometimes due to the parents deliberately pranking them.

So it's OK if the parents do it? You'd no be offended if a stranger did it to your kid and posted it on the internet? It's just cheese it didn't hurt them.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Some parents are dumb as a rock and this kind of challenge thing shows it. Why the hell would anyone think it's funny to prank your defenseless and unsuspecting baby that only has you as the person to trust for anything?...

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
So it's OK if the parents do it? You'd no be offended if a stranger did it to your kid and posted it on the internet? It's just cheese it didn't hurt them.

Are you serious right now? Before doing anything with your own child you think a parent needs to think "Ok, would i be ok if a stranger did this with them, if not then maybe i shouldnt do it". I dont want a stranger playing hide and seek with my child, does that mean i shouldn't partake in it?

This Christmas we pranked our two year old. We had a big dinosaur that was actually remote controlled. Since he only interacted with stuffed dinosaurs up until this point he didnt know it would move. When he saw it and went to give it a hug i pressed the roar button and dude would have jumped through the roof if he could. He kicked the crap out of it then ran to us yelling "BAD DINOSAUR". I filmed it and everyone in the family dies laughing when i show it. Guess what, its his favorite toy now. That clearly didnt cause long term harm and distrust.

Back before i had children i used to disagree when parents would say until you have kids you have no clue what you are talking about in regards to raising them. Now i have to say i agree.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
people seem to be using this fad to throw shit at cats so that's fine with me

Oct 25, 2017
China
Are you serious right now? Before doing anything with your own child you think a parent needs to think "Ok, would i be ok if a stranger did this with them, if not then maybe i shouldnt do it". I dont want a stranger playing hide and seek with my child, does that mean i shouldn't partake in it?

Congratulations on missing my point. Really, well done there.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize there is a show thats been running for 20 years that basically exists due to people doing funny things with their kids that may or many not upset them? Thankfully people can tell the difference between harmless fun and needing to question the parenting ability of an adult therefore the show can exist.

From the childs perspective there is no difference between me throwing a bib or wash cloth on the childs head to see what he will do and a slice of cheese. If you saw me toss a wash cloth over my kids eyes to see his reaction would that upset you? I bet it wouldnt. But since its cheese you draw the line, even though from the babies perspective the only difference is one is cold.

The show definitely had/has some fucked up videos and probably some goddamned awful parents "pranking their kids." I always hated the purposeful videos that just distressed someone especially a child. It's just not funny.

I question the ability of someone who uses reasoning like "well they cry at a lot of things so this one thing won't affect them and I need a laugh." That's a pretty awful perspective to have about your child. It doesn't mean the cheese incident is going to do them in but to me says something broader.

And you should probably know your child enough to know if throwing something at it will distress it or not. A baby will likely be distressed because it doesn't know what the fuck and it gets scared. I know my baby would cry if I threw cheese at its head. Or anything. Why does what it is matter?

Again I've said before if something accidental happened and it caused some distress but somehow looked funny, fine, laugh. That's human. If you're standing over your baby trying to eat as it plays a a fucking tomato falls out of your sandwich on its head. Yeah funny. Purposefully throwing something at its head though serves no purpose except experimenting with something where at best case the funny reaction is still very startled and at worst it gets an outright cry. So yeah tossing a washcloth at its head gets the same reaction of: wtf why?

Americans Funniest Home Videos had many winners where the kids were being embarassed on TV, sometimes due to the parents deliberately pranking them.

Yeah and that was almost always fucking awful. Just because some other losers do it on tv doesn't make it good.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys it's me, Kraft Punk

IllfatedVioletDouglasfirbarkbeetle-max-1mb.gif

Vm3qPX.gif

WholeSecondaryBeetle-size_restricted.gif

You just got Kraft Punk'd

9E1CDE62D3EF50D7AB30A8AC8A2D65E2B57B4FAC

Get out of here. Get the FUCK out of here. GET OUT OF HHHEEEEERRRREEE.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it ain't that bad. Every video I saw of this, the kid laughed or laughed it off regardless of age. Toddlers would eat the cheese lol.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a thing you could do, but I don't understand why you would.

That being said, I'm not sure how my daughter would react. She'd either cry, or laugh and eat the cheese. I'm vaguely curious, but not enough to actually try it to find out.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I just don't see how these "Challenges" spread like wildfire. Is everyone just really struggling to get one more Instagram like?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mean or not for the children, this is the dumbest generation and timeline, and I'm fully part of it.

Dank days are coming.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I'm all for fun and making a joke out of most things but this just pissed me off.

If you need that validation just do it to your partner or your friend not an infant.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The show definitely had/has some fucked up videos and probably some goddamned awful parents "pranking their kids." I always hated the purposeful videos that just distressed someone especially a child. It's just not funny.

I question the ability of someone who uses reasoning like "well they cry at a lot of things so this one thing won't affect them and I need a laugh." That's a pretty awful perspective to have about your child. It doesn't mean the cheese incident is going to do them in but to me says something broader.

And you should probably know your child enough to know if throwing something at it will distress it or not. A baby will likely be distressed because it doesn't know what the fuck and it gets scared. I know my baby would cry if I threw cheese at its head. Or anything. Why does what it is matter?

Again I've said before if something accidental happened and it caused some distress but somehow looked funny, fine, laugh. That's human. If you're standing over your baby trying to eat as it plays a a fucking tomato falls out of your sandwich on its head. Yeah funny. Purposefully throwing something at its head though serves no purpose except experimenting with something where at best case the funny reaction is still very startled and at worst it gets an outright cry. So yeah tossing a washcloth at its head gets the same reaction of: wtf why?

Yeah and that was almost always fucking awful. Just because some other losers do it on tv doesn't make it good.

I throw a wash cloth over my sons head damn near every time i give him a bath, he loves it. He grabs the wash cloth and tries to throw it back on my head and he laughs the entire time. Its fun. When i have an empty box i put it on him and see what he does, you know what, he loves empty boxes. I dont need to pull out the official "Fun Things To Do With Children" book to see what is officially sanctioned and proven to be fun. Here is a fun fact, whats fun for your kid may not be fun for my kid and vice versa. You know how i figured out that my son likes the wash cloths and boxes, i did it randomly, not knowing the outcome.

You know what my son doesnt like, playing in the snow. If you saw a parent taking their child out to play in the snow would it have garnered the same initial reaction you have towards the cheese? No it wouldnt. But for my son, at this point it would be sheer terror. Point being the parent knows best what is and isnt fun for their kids and they only figured that out by trying it first.

Oct 25, 2017
I throw a wash cloth over my sons head damn near every time i give him a bath, he loves it. He grabs the wash cloth and tries to throw it back on my head and he laughs the entire time. Its fun. When i have an empty box i put it on him and see what he does, you know what, he loves empty boxes. I dont need to pull out the official "Fun Things To Do With Children" book to see what is officially sanctioned and proven to be fun. Here is a fun fact, whats fun for your kid may not be fun for my kid and vice versa. You know how i figured out that my son likes the wash cloths and boxes, i did it randomly, not knowing the outcome.

You know what my son doesnt like, playing in the snow. If you saw a parent taking their child out to play in the snow would it have garnered the same initial reaction you have towards the cheese? No it wouldnt. But for my son, at this point it would be sheer terror. Point being the parent knows best what is and isnt fun for their kids and they only figured that out by trying it first.

The snow analogy is a good one. So many pictures of kids dumped into leaves or snow and they look horrified.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

There's a large philosophical difference in experimental play in order to figure out what's fun between you and your child and filming to see what may be funny to do to your child. That's the line that I draw.

Im also just a bit colored by the one or two I saw that were obviously very tiny babies about the size of mine and I can't fathom any this size liking an object being thrown at their face. Near them? Sure. That can be funny. Directly at their face? Don't see it. Maybe you do have a baby that would like that and you know it. That's fine. But these people don't seem to know their child or they do know their child and they're fishing for funny reacts instead. Like, I haven't thrown a piece of cheese at my 6 month old's face but I know based on evidence it probably wouldn't go well. I'm not going to film it and see if it's funny. That's cruel.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is it anymore of distress than some of the way people play with kids like helicopter, tossing them in the air, etc? What about hide and seek, is that distress?

This is not whatboutism, it's me highlighting theres many other ways parents interact with their kids that can be seen as distress.
Why is this so hard to grasp?

Causing distress and making your baby cry for the entertainment of others is just fucking stupid and irresponsible. This isn't something that should need to be explained to people... your baby is not your toy.

There's a large philosophical difference in experimental play in order to figure out what's fun between you and your child and filming to see what may be funny to do to your child. That's the line that I draw.

This is it. Distressing your baby for kicks and the entertainment of others is not the same thing as "experimental play".

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
This story has me in thoughts. I have a game with my baby, that when I do her toilet in the morning, when I use a fabric with cleaning lotion to clean her face, I throw it (gently of course) on her forehead before cleaning her. It has always made her laugh, and is now nearly expecting it with a smile because she knows when it happens in our morning routine.
Never thought much of it, since it's just "our thing" and it makes both of us laugh, but that article had made me reconsider.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't suggest a child protection officer would automatically remove a child from a parent who made that video. I do believe it would cause any honest and sensible person some legitimate concern about the child's welfare.
Atleast in the US, I do think they wouldn't care. Corporal punishment of kids is largely legal and largely accepted. So bit cheese on the face probably wouldn't register as abuse of any kind, when spanking in example doesn't (that definitely should). And that's what I'm truly worried about with parenting in the US, not the cheese.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
So I can get people to do literally anything if I add the word Challenge to it? I think it's time for the mail 100 dollars to IamAbird challenge.