• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

https://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv/

3/5 episodes have been released so far on HBO as of me posting this thread and they've all been amazing so far. This show deserves more recognition. Some posts from the OT:

This series is incredible. I haven't felt this much dread and tension since watching fucking Threads. This shit is horrifying. It's hard to fathom that this disaster actually happened. That's probably the most terrifying aspect of all this.

This series has literally had me at the edge of my seat. I can't even relax when I watch this lol!
The make up in this series is straight up nightmare fuel. I'm used to see this shit on Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but to know it all happened for real just kills you. Basically rotten corpses but still alive, goddamn.
Loved the chief miner character by the way.
Every episode there is a new man or woman risking their lives to help stop it from becoming any worse.

Fucking heroes and heroines.

Also, the hospital scenes were insane.
I was going to watch Episode 3 on my lunch break but I'm thinking I shouldn't be eating based on some of the sights in the hospital.
This show is so harrowing, but it's extremely compelling watching.
Watched the first episode.

Riveting, magnificent, terrifying television.
This show is as fantastic as it is deeply unsettling. One of the best things I've seen in any medium so far this year.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
First episode was badly directed and written.

Second episode is better.

It's not even remotely an exceptional piece of TV, but it's okay.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ironically outside of their biggest show HBO shows have been killing it. And deadwood comes out next week as well.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
As good as Chernobyl is (and it's great) IMDB is a horrible website filled with idiotic members, and user ratings should be treated with complete and utter disregard

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
It's an awesome show but doesn't IMDB rate the Dark Knight as the best movie of all time? Yeah...

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I thought everybody knew imdb ratings didn't mean anything either way. Did something change recently? Or is there a reason we've been getting several of these imdb ratings threads over the past month?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah, that's silly. The show is fantastic, but it is not worthy of being the highest rated ever.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, the fact they are altering and changing things that didn't need to be knocks it down for me, I never understood why when you're adapting an already AMAZING true story why so many times they feel the need to alter it and change the facts just to further "dramatize" it when the original truth is already pretty fucking dramatic to begin with (like the whole helicopter crashing, the guys going into the water to turn the valve, etc).

It's been a good show, but best of all time seems a bit far fetched, I mean better than Sopranos? The Wire? Seinfeld?

Even then it's a mini-series, so it'd be up against things like Band of Brothers, Lonesome Dove, The Best of Youth (amazing Italian mini series that everyone should see), Pillars of the Earth, etc.

Last edited:

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well deserved.

I mean, the fact they are altering and changing things that didn't need to be knocks it down for me, I never understood why when you're adapting an already AMAZING true story why so many times they feel the need to alter it and change the facts just to further "dramatize" it when the original truth is already pretty fucking dramatic to being with (like the whole helicopter crashing, the guys going into the water to turn the valve, etc)

Well they only have 5 hours to tell this incredibly complex tale with many moving parts, it's fine. At least its getting people interested in the historic event.

Oct 27, 2017
First episode was badly directed and written.

Second episode is better.

It's not even remotely an exceptional piece of TV, but it's okay.
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean, the fact they are altering and changing things that didn't need to be knocks it down for me, I never understood why when you're adapting an already AMAZING true story why so many times they feel the need to alter it and change the facts just to further "dramatize" it when the original truth is already pretty fucking dramatic to being with (like the whole helicopter crashing, the guys going into the water to turn the valve, etc).

It's been a good show, but best of all time seems a bit far fetched, I mean better than Sopranos? The Wire? Seinfeld?

Even then it's a mini-series, so it'd be up against things like Band of Brothers, Lonesome Dove, The Best of Youth (amazing Italian mini series that everyone should see), Pillars of the Earth, etc.
Agreed completely.

OP
OP
CM_Ace

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Not saying it isn't good, but this is a miniseries. It's much easier to make 5 great episodes than it is to make 100.

Fair enough. Just thought making it to #1 was thread worthy.

As good as Chernobyl is (and it's great) IMDB is a horrible website filled with idiotic members, and user ratings should be treated with complete and utter disregard

Always saw people posting imdb lists so I didn't realize it was that bad.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
This show is really good. The sense of dread is off the charts. Was gonna cancel after GOT but I'm staying on at least til this show ends

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Well deserved, first three episodes have been perfect and the final two have no signs of being worse. This is how you do a miniseries. Plain and simple. Every single episode's been compelling and a must-watch

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with IMDb. This series is fantastic. Certainly scarier than any horror series or movie I have ever seen. I'm in the occupational health field, so the subject matter is especially relevant to me.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I thought everybody knew imdb ratings didn't mean anything either way. Did something change recently? Or is there a reason we've been getting several of these imdb ratings threads over the past month?

Yeah, it's kind of strange to see IMDb get the MC treatment all of a sudden. Like somehow we needed another number to obsess over as we process movies and TV shows, in addition to box office success, (audience) ratings, RT, and all the rest.

Now, I happen to like IMDb, and find it useful. Learning how to maneuver around it, though, includes learning it has a massive recency bias, not all 6, 7, and 8s are created equal, and ratings can shift around over time.

In other words, "Chernobyl becomes the highest rated show on IMDb" doesn't tell me anything particularly useful. "Game of Thrones finale becomes the lowest rated finale on IMDb" wouldn't tell me anything particularly useful, either. Approaching IMDb like we do MC doesn't make the least amount of sense.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic series, love discussing it with a coworker who also has been watching it. Not sure why there's so much negativity here.
I like the show. I think it is very premature to call it the greatest of anything before it has even wrapped and people will naturally be defensive like any arguments about top 10 lists and such. This says more about IMDB's review system and likely a spike of interest with certain other shows wrapping than any over all comment or condemnation of the show's quality itself.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I think IMDB has, as long as I can remember, had Shawshank as #1.

If you think IMDB is too blockbuster / super hero heavy you can try letterbox but then again The Dark Knight is in the top 40 or so highest rated movies there too.

IMDb had The Godfather at number one and The Shawshank Redemption at number two for years. In 2008, The Dark Knight briefly took the top spot, in part due to people deliberately voting Godfather down. Others caught on and TDK didn't keep the top spot for long, but Godfather lost enough ground that it's still second to Shawshank more than a decade later.