• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Seems a good show, too bad for some bad science in it ( the 3 mton potential estimate is off by 9 orders of magnitude, saw that on physics stackexchange last week and was saddened to see this garbage propaganda still spouted)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a good show, too bad for some bad science in it ( the 3 mton potential estimate is off by 9 orders of magnitude, saw that on physics stackexchange last week and was saddened to see this garbage propaganda still spouted)

You do realize that people on the show are frequently misinformed or make mistakes right? The understanding of the situation they had at the time wasn't necessarily the most correct.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I recommend this to anyone I can

It's quite amazing especially since I don't know much about the actual subject. It's made me want to do more research

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
You do realize that people on the show are frequently misinformed or make mistakes right? The understanding of the situation they had at the time wasn't necessarily the most correct.

No offense but no physicist could honestly believe that a commercial reactor could go supercritical, you need 99% highly fissile uranium , not the kind you have in reactors (which iirc is usually 3%). Having possibly supercritical fuel would be a Nightmare for normal operation. What could have happened was an hydrogen explosion from the water and a dispersion of material which would have been tragic but nowhere as bad as a bomb 60 times Hiroshima exploding in the middle of Europe

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No offense but no physicist could honestly believe that a commercial reactor could go supercritical, you need 99% highly fissile uranium , not the kind you have in reactors (which iirc is usually 3%). Having possibly supercritical fuel would be a Nightmare for normal operation. What could have happened was an hydrogen explosion from the water and a dispersion of material which would have been tragic but nowhere as bad as a bomb 60 times Hiroshima exploding in the middle of Europe

I would say that at the time they possibly could have thought that they would explode. As the events were unfolding they didnt have a solid reason as to why the first core exploded... so going forward with that thought anything out of normal could cause an explosion in the other cores as well.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

The show didn't claim the reactor would go supercritical, they talked about 200.000 litres of water in the tanks flash-vaporizing when the lava melted through to it... which is a risk I've seen described in other sources.

Sure, the 2 to 4 megaton claim was sloppy and didn't need to be there (it would have been bad enough without massively exaggerating the force of the subsequent thermal blast) but I don't get why that single line is such a sticking point for naysayers. It changes nothing about the dynamics of the narrative or the actions of the people involved.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

Is it propaganda if it's just retelling events that happened? It's a legitimate concern they had at the time, I don't believe it was a fabricated bit of information.

Oct 31, 2017
imdb top list is actually solid, especially for tv shows. For movies, you do get some superhero films unnecessarily high, but at least the list isn't clogged up with a bunch of unwatchable shit from the 40's and 50's.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
just finished binging episode 1 & 2

i can't even continue
this show has me all kinds of fucked up right now.

whatever horror movie you throw out there nothing holds a candle to this shit. this is the demon's souls of horror content.

11/10 the problem is it's TOO terrifying

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Many, many TV shows. Look, I'm not insulting your mum or anything, it's a fine series. It's just not great.

The directing in episode one really is a bit naff.

The directing? The guy behind the camera yelling action and cut and discussing performances and blocking with the cast? The director of photography? The lighting? The editing? The writing? I mean what was naff?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
The directing? The guy behind the camera yelling action and cut and discussing performances and blocking with the cast? The director of photography? The lighting? The editing? The writing? I mean what was naff?
Lol. Hate comments like that. The illusion that they know wtf they're talking about crumbles quickly

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Is it propaganda if it's just retelling events that happened? It's a legitimate concern they had at the time, I don't believe it was a fabricated bit of information.

highly recommending the companion podcast.

In this first companion episode to the HBO mini-series Chernobyl, show creator Craig Mazin and Peter Sagal of NPR's "Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me" discuss the moments leading up to the Chernobyl disaster in 1986.

They go into what they "fabricated" and how close to their research lined up the series w/ facts. Theres an intended balance of telling a story of just facts vs. writing a drama around it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Very, very good show.
Knowing a a bit about nuclear reactors and radiation, it's especially haunting in the first few episodes seeing people being exposed to radiation and not realizing what's happening.
Seriously haunting stuff.

Didn't really know a lot of the specifics of Chernobyl before this show so naratively it's especially interesting (like the mystery of why the reactor exploded).

I thought it had finished already so I was disappointed i could only binge 3 episodes today.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
highly recommending the companion podcast.

They go into what they "fabricated" and how close to their research lined up the series w/ facts. Theres an intended balance of telling a story of just facts vs. writing a drama around it.

Oh, I've listened to every episode. Specifically when they talk about this instance, they don't really elaborate on numbers or the size of the explosion, just that they fears a massive explosion of the core reached the water. I mean that was a legit concern they had, and considering no one there knew what would have actually happened had the core reached the water, I think it's unfair to call any of this "propaganda". Maybe unfair isn't the word I want to use here...disingenuous?