• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
  • China plans to rank all its citizens based on their "social credit" by 2020.
  • People can be rewarded or punished according to their scores.
  • Like private financial credit scores, a person's social scores can move up and down according to their behavior.
  • At the moment the system is piecemeal – some are run by city councils, while others are scored by private tech platforms that hold personal data.
  • Scroll down to see how you can be punished or rewarded.

Like private credit scores, a person's social score can move up and down depending on their behavior. The exact methodology is a secret – but examples of infractions include bad driving, smoking in non-smoking zones, buying too many video games and posting fake news online.

Some of the punishments:

1. Banning you from flying or getting the train.
2. Throttling your internet speeds.
3. Banning you — or your kids — from the best schools.
4. Stopping you getting the best jobs.
5. Keeping you out of the best hotels.
6. Getting your dog taken away.
7. Being publicly named as a bad citizen.

Rewards include:
1. Get you more matches on dating websites.
2. Discounts on energy bills.
3. Rent things without deposits
4. Get better interest rates at banks.

More at the link: https://www.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-punishments-and-rewards-explained-2018-4

Reduce my social point if old.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
started? China has been doing this for years.

I remember getting mad at people who thought a similar premise in a Black Mirror episode was too out there when this exact stuff was happening in China.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
cevikyp2zd0y.gif

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Without this taxi drivers used to rip you off (they had like "double-charge" buttons so by snapping it fare automatically doubled) but now if they no longer do that to prevent social score from dipping.. It's sad that this draconian system was the only solution to prevent such things..

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The world is really moving in a great direction. Whoever thought the 20th century was the low point of humanity is in for a rude awakening.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Without this taxi drivers used to rip you off (they had like "double-charge" buttons so by snapping it fare automatically doubled) but now if they no longer do that to prevent social score from dipping.. It's sad that this draconian system was the only solution to prevent such things..
Oh it's fine then

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
started? China has been doing this for years.

I remember getting mad at people who thought a similar premise in a Black Mirror episode was too out there when this exact stuff was happening in China.

Pretty much' it used to be black list for traveling after too many Chinese tourist misbehaved, including pouring hot water at airline steward for bring hot water too slow on a flight, but it was not useful and proved useless, that was when the social credit idea came in, evolved version of the us no fly list.

And as it's not a national standard, the possible future will probably be included with the smart glasses and facial recognition for police officer.

Oct 25, 2017
"posting fake news online"

Well then, I think that with this the Chinese Communist party makes sure they will be on power forever

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Also, there was infamous fake baby formula incident.. that is, some sold some industrial power (non edible) as baby formula and actually harmed or killed some babies. "Fvck you, got mine" attitude has gone way too far to the point something severe (CCP) had to intervene to get the things "right".
I don't mean to defend this shit, but it always helps why the public are actually for this idea, which you would think they go against in the normal circumstance.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
We joke about this every time we drunkenly jaywalk late at night or do...well anything. Sing karaoke badly. Eat too many dumplings. Drink anything other than tsingtao beer. "Well there goes our credit score!" But the truth is we all worry about it when it kicks in in 2020, despite us not being Chinese, nobody can give us a straight answer as to whether it will apply to us or not and if so to what degree.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is old, ya'all are very LTTP

This is creepy af yet as someone who works with AI I'm still oddly curious about the technology

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Extra Credits did an episode on Sesame Credit back in 2015. I don't know how the West has remained oblivious to it for so long.[...]

I'd rather ask how we are still oblivious, and I'm not talking about china, but closer to home.The US already seems half-way there, credit scores are a thing with very real consequences, people rating each other on social media, uber and other such services and platforms.
We should be less worried about China and more about what's happening over here. If the US government, for example wanted such a system, they could probably set one up pretty quickly. I'm sure the patriot act or other such laws would grant them access to everything they need.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Social media has put us halfway there in the West. All China has done is try to codify the system.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
This is some scary shit.

I'm sure by fake news they mean unfavourable news to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.