• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking about wuxia games, there's alsohttps://www.resetera.com/threads/fa...inese-fantasy-single-player-game-in-ue4.9794/
which looks awesome. Releases in 9 days in Chinese, hopefully it gets localized soon.
7J64BU9.jpg

Yep, that's a xianxia marketplace.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My reading of Warlock has slowed down a but I'm reading it still. In other news, I'm finally going to watch Legend of the Condor Heroes this week.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
My reading of Warlock has slowed down a but I'm reading it still. In other news, I'm finally going to watch Legend of the Condor Heroes this week.
Which version?

I'm about halfway through "the Good for Nothing Seventh Young Lady" and I can safely say that it's nothing like what the title suggests it is. At first glance, it looks like a pretty standard transmigration/reincarnation novel about family politics and romance. What it actually is, is a transmigration xuanhuan story that's all about cultivation and power levels and kingdom building. It's pretty cool stuff even if it's all power fantasy. However, I'm finally beginning to see what some people say about repetition in these kinds of stories. "Good for Nothing" isn't too bad in this respect, but I can sense a bit of padding going on.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Which version?

I'm about halfway through "the Good for Nothing Seventh Young Lady" and I can safely say that it's nothing like what the title suggests it is. At first glance, it looks like a pretty standard transmigration/reincarnation novel about family politics and romance. What it actually is, is a transmigration xuanhuan story that's all about cultivation and power levels and kingdom building. It's pretty cool stuff even if it's all power fantasy. However, I'm finally beginning to see what some people say about repetition in these kinds of stories. "Good for Nothing" isn't too bad in this respect, but I can sense a bit of padding going on.
The 1983 version. That is the one that people told me to watch.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
The 1983 version. That is the one that people told me to watch.
Good stuff. How did you manage to find a copy, and does it have English subtitles?

For all that TVB had a tiny talent pool of actors, it's amazing that they did an incredible job of matching the cast to their respective roles. The standouts are probably Lau Dan as Hong Qigong and Chun Wang as Zhou Botong, but rest are fantastic as well. If you're really sharp-eyed, you may be able to spot a very young Stephen Chow as an extra.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff. How did you manage to find a copy, and does it have English subtitles?

For all that TVB had a tiny talent pool of actors, it's amazing that they did an incredible job of matching the cast to their respective roles. The standouts are probably Lau Dan as Hong Qigong and Chun Wang as Zhou Botong, but rest are fantastic as well. If you're really sharp-eyed, you may be able to spot a very young Stephen Chow as an extra.
Ebay and yes it does.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
tbh most xianxias dont wanna deal with romance i can understand this( unless the point is harem ofc where the MCs goal is hunting down jadeskin beauties)
not even asking for the love interest to follow around the whole time

just come up with better excuses with the separations why is it always forced. Like the MC and love interest really wanna be together but something forced them apart. sometimes that thing is death where the MC finds a reason to become strong enough to literally ressurect their bae

i prefer way more when thelove interest is way too high level for MC and the MC has to level up to their stage

id post about both scenarios but dont wanna spoil

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
tbh most xianxias dont wanna deal with romance i can understand this( unless the point is harem ofc where the MCs goal is hunting down jadeskin beauties)
not even asking for the love interest to follow around the whole time

just come up with better excuses with the separations why is it always forced. Like the MC and love interest really wanna be together but something forced them apart. sometimes that thing is death where the MC finds a reason to become strong enough to literally ressurect their bae

i prefer way more when thelove interest is way too high level for MC and the MC has to level up to their stage

id post about both scenarios but dont wanna spoil
The actual Romance novels don't do this, but they have their own share of issues.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
51BEOCkH3aL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Feb release. Cover looks slick enough. Anyone planning to take one for the team and pick it up?
It looks pretty cool, but I hate that they decided to go with "Legends of the Condor Heroes" as the title. The proper translation should be closer to "the Legend of the Eagle-Shooting Hero". It's a play on Mao Zedong's quote about Genghis Khan, and it specifically refers to Guo Jing as the hero. Yeah, I know that the translated title is the name that the book is mostly known by in the West, but it was a chance to put the record straight and it's not as if the proper title is any weaker than the made-up one.

The sequel being called "Return of the Condor Heroes" is even worse. Not only does it have nothing to do with the original title of the book, but it doesn't even refer to the protagonists of the story.

I doubt that I'd pick this book out. I don't read translations of Chinese novels in general, and this is my least favorite of Jin Yong's long novels. If it turns out to be a really good translation, I might make an exception though.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Follow a character for 1000+ chaps he is just barely 100yrs old but everything is measured in the millions of years
Thats how you know in the future trainings will take millions of years of timeskip in a cave cultivating

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Magus era is i think the only reincarnation novel where the super master who was reborn is alittle punk with a bad immature mentality

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
They are very simliar
How far you got into Warlock? Dont forget it already ended

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Will do. It's kinda crazy that I read 200 chapters already and not even halfway through.
They like money
I dropped one novel at 700 and now its at 2k. Get paid for the word count too
Read the forum and realised shit was repeated over and over again and i actually stopped at where it was considered ok
Bless

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's interesting. I'm Really a Superstar is now wuxia for the arc that just finished. I guess they needed a real 'action arc' eventually.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Been continuing with Skyfire Avenue again after letting chapters pile up and man, this is probably one of the most fascinating Chinese webnovels I've read (currently around 400).

It's Sci-Fi with mechs and superpowers and at the same time has entire chapters dedicated to tasting wine, whiskey or eating good food.
You have lots of action and at the same time have the MC teach Etiquette in a school.
Where you can have a tournament by day and a dinner with buddies in the evening that turns into a dance-off in a night-club.
What's also nice is that the MC, Lan Jue, is already in the upper echelons of power when the book starts. Which is why you can have a long training arc where the MC is actually the teacher and it has to be one of my favorite training arcs ever.
And have gems like this:
Lan Jue was just as shocked, maybe even more so. Hell, a grape vine was talking to them about being a three hundred year old master vintner. Things were strange.

It also has a lot of fantastic sidecharacters and a lot of romance between them. (Someone said in some comments that it doesn't have a web of relationships, but a Gordian Knot, that made chuckle).
Biggest gripe I have is that the romance for the MC starts of really really awkward and... why. I found it worth it to power through that tho.

I'll just post the description blurb too:
Skyfire Avenue is a street that is 2048 meters long. There are 168 stores here, and each of the store owners is an extremely powerful adept. The Avenue does not permit any vehicles or any robots to pass through it, much less mecha. Even the patrolling police must move about on foot. This is because this is a street for pedestrians, a lane for nobles, hidden away within this high technology world. Lan Jue, the greatest of the mercenaries, code-named 'Zeus', has secluded himself here in Skyfire Avenue after the death of his wife. The name of his shop is "Zeus' Jewelry Store", and here in Skyfire Avenue, he has been given the title, Jewel Master.

Last edited:

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
So it looks like this is more about novels than tv shows, but has anyone here watched/heard of Legend of Qin or Qin's Moon? It's 3D animation, based around the time of the first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang. I've been watching it for the past 5 or so years as the translation has been on and off, but it's one of my favorite shows period that I know of no other who has watched it.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Gu Daoist Master actually lives up to the demonic rep
We didnt need to spend an entire chapter describing the bear eating her
That poor girl

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like this is more about novels than tv shows, but has anyone here watched/heard of Legend of Qin or Qin's Moon? It's 3D animation, based around the time of the first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang. I've been watching it for the past 5 or so years as the translation has been on and off, but it's one of my favorite shows period that I know of no other who has watched it.
Nope, but that pretty cool.

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, but that pretty cool.

I really recommend it, if you can find it somewhere! It's on it's fifth season now (translated at least), with plans to make 7 or 8 seasons in total. The first season is short at 10 episodes, but each season after gets progressively longer with Season 5 having over 50. I will say that the first season is rough. The 3D animation is pretty bad, character models don't look great, and it's slow to get the story rolling. But it's well worth it if you stick with it. You can see the team getting better each season with animation and character models. Add in multitudes of different characters and factions, some supernatural elements, political intrigue, and a budding love story or three and it's one of my favorite things ever.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I finally finished "the Seventh Good-For-Nothing Young Miss". Its story is a bit all over the place, but I think it has enough entertaining stuff to be worth reading. I sort of like how the writer put in references from all sorts of places up to stealing Deathwing from World of Warcraft and putting him in the book!

I really recommend it, if you can find it somewhere! It's on it's fifth season now (translated at least), with plans to make 7 or 8 seasons in total. The first season is short at 10 episodes, but each season after gets progressively longer with Season 5 having over 50. I will say that the first season is rough. The 3D animation is pretty bad, character models don't look great, and it's slow to get the story rolling. But it's well worth it if you stick with it. You can see the team getting better each season with animation and character models. Add in multitudes of different characters and factions, some supernatural elements, political intrigue, and a budding love story or three and it's one of my favorite things ever.
Out of curiosity, how far into the story is the show now?

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, how far into the story is the show now?

Well, it's in its fifth season translated; I have no idea where it's at untranslated. I can't see it going past 8 seasons, especially with the length of them now. The major characters in the story are a rebellious force against Qin Shi Huang, but this season has shifted focus away from any direct action. Season 5 introduced a new school of thought into the mix, as the major characters are disciples of Mohism. Confucianism, Legalism, Daoism, etc all made their way into the show in previous seasons.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Well, it's in its fifth season translated; I have no idea where it's at untranslated. I can't see it going past 8 seasons, especially with the length of them now. The major characters in the story are a rebellious force against Qin Shi Huang, but this season has shifted focus away from any direct action. Season 5 introduced a new school of thought into the mix, as the major characters are disciples of Mohism. Confucianism, Legalism, Daoism, etc all made their way into the show in previous seasons.
That sounds like an awfully interesting setting for a story. Sadly, most web novelists are out of their depth when it comes to proper historical fiction, so they're more likely to invent a dynasty to set their stories in. Unfortunately, it takes away a lot of the flavor from the setting, and their stories are weaker as a consequence.

On a related note, I've started reading another of Yue Guan's historical novels, and it's shocking how good he is compared to other web novelists. Not only is he able to write about proper historical periods, but he's able to put in more detail about the laws, social customs, and other period-specific facets of life. It's really bringing to the forefront the differences between one dynasty and another, and even from one emperor's rule to the next's. Unfortunately, Yue Guan writes in old-fashioned Chinese so he's a pain to translate. So for all of his popularity in China, his books still remain untranslated.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
So A Will Eternal just finished book 3 in translation.

This is probably the most consistently good xianxia I've read so far, still. The author is still finding ways to make new weird situations that make the story not nearly as repetitive as some other ones. Of course, there are some recurring story elements, but I would definitely say that as a whole package this is better than I Shall Seal The Heavens. I love Bai Xiaochun, but I still think I like Meng Hao a little better. He was just too iconic to really top.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Mo wuji is too damn pure
And this is a dude that wiped out clans. But thats 101 xianxia MC package

Age of adepts is back.
Been suffering through Wizard World needing that mage world + A.I chip cheat fix after Warlock ended.
Atleast its way better than WW

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Skyfire Avenue. Where the most powerful people in the universe use super powers like time manipulation for... enjoying wine.

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Shout to the OP for making this thread.

I read north of 1000 chapters a week and my backlog is insane. I'm a good 1200 chapters behind in True Martial World, 500 in Battle Through the Heavens, 100 to finish I shall Seal the Heavens, and 165 in both Assasin's Chronicle and Masked Knight.

Immortal Mortal is the best novel you aren't reading. The MC is underpowered damn near most of the time. Underpowered is subjective because he's easily top three hardest working protagonist. He just wrecks shit so hard it's not even funny. I'd discuss the latest chapter but I'm 10 chapters ahead thanks to the $20 patreon.

What do we think about the Fang Xing from Plundering the Heavens?

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
That sounds like an awfully interesting setting for a story. Sadly, most web novelists are out of their depth when it comes to proper historical fiction, so they're more likely to invent a dynasty to set their stories in. Unfortunately, it takes away a lot of the flavor from the setting, and their stories are weaker as a consequence.

On a related note, I've started reading another of Yue Guan's historical novels, and it's shocking how good he is compared to other web novelists. Not only is he able to write about proper historical periods, but he's able to put in more detail about the laws, social customs, and other period-specific facets of life. It's really bringing to the forefront the differences between one dynasty and another, and even from one emperor's rule to the next's. Unfortunately, Yue Guan writes in old-fashioned Chinese so he's a pain to translate. So for all of his popularity in China, his books still remain untranslated.

It's been a bliss reading his works, unfortunately even him didn't escape Harem trope trap of online Chinese novel :/

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
So A Will Eternal just finished book 3 in translation.

This is probably the most consistently good xianxia I've read so far, still. The author is still finding ways to make new weird situations that make the story not nearly as repetitive as some other ones. Of course, there are some recurring story elements, but I would definitely say that as a whole package this is better than I Shall Seal The Heavens. I love Bai Xiaochun, but I still think I like Meng Hao a little better. He was just too iconic to really top.
Bai is amazing and a huge troll
The funny thing is he is actually a good guy although very mischievous. If this wasn't comedy I'd feel bad for all the suffering he put people through. Atleast the bunny gives him a taste of what he does to people

like his simple mindset of fearing death and just

Shout to the OP for making this thread.

I read north of 1000 chapters a week and my backlog is insane. I'm a good 1200 chapters behind in True Martial World, 500 in Battle Through the Heavens, 100 to finish I shall Seal the Heavens, and 165 in both Assasin's Chronicle and Masked Knight.

Immortal Mortal is the best novel you aren't reading. The MC is underpowered damn near most of the time. Underpowered is subjective because he's easily top three hardest working protagonist. He just wrecks shit so hard it's not even funny. I'd discuss the latest chapter but I'm 10 chapters ahead thanks to the $20 patreon.

What do we think about the Fang Xing from Plundering the Heavens?
Plundering the heavens singlehandedly changed my dislike of kid MCs
I'm talking real kid not reincarnated/transmigration etc kids who are actually old monsters.

i like mo wuji. Although I did drop the novel early on for reasons

Fun fact
Both the novels you mention used the plot of the MC having a loyal pretty young servant girl who is forcefully taken away because of her superior talent plot lol

Fun fact 2
The guy who made immortal mortal made another novel that starts the same way by the MC getting betrayed by his lover and reincarnating and suffering hard in a new world. The gate of good fortune. Except that MC suffers alittle too much by getting fucked over all the time for 100 chaps until he finally gets a win
Lol most people dropped it and rated it so long and the review comments are so salty over his suffering

Some call it The Gate of misfortune

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Wow, I missed the news. Will buy out of curiosity. I assume they will use the latest edition huh?
I doubt there's any reason to translate the 2nd Edition, so it should be the latest one.

It's been a bliss reading his works, unfortunately even him didn't escape Harem trope trap of online Chinese novel :/
No, but Yue Guan doesn't substitute character quirks for personality, and he actually cares about relationships so they're at least well done harem stories. Then again, I seem to have been mostly novels written by women so it looks like I haven't read any recent harem stories written by any other Chinese writers. I have read a bunch of them in Japanese web novels, but those are pretty much terrible by default.