• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Idk it seems pretty clear when you look at the tweets and the comments from staff in the videos.
If you're willing to make the assumption she knew them, or had knowledge of years-old tweets, sure. I didn't see the comments from the staff, can you link them? It would be nice if someone could offer some concrete proof here either way.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Why'd you want people calling the cops for such trivial shit? Like this is the remit of being a manager. Dealing with problem assholes. She did so in a really calm way and actually gave them a chance.

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The assertion that she did anything worth losing her job over is mental.

The point where a line was crossed, regardless of whether or not these men had "dined and dashed" before was in asking for the group to show money first. To my knowledge restaurants have the right to refuse service and had she simply done that with the reasoning being that the men previously ordered food and didn't pay, then she'd likely still have her job as she wouldn't have been creating her own policy.

It's similar to shoplifting where the moment a shoplifter is out the door, the business' response to the shoplifter changes drastically.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
it is a shame that one man crying wolf discredits hundreds of years and millions of people suffering, but that's just the way the world is.

Folks couldn't wait to pop up after those updates and call out the situation and others as if there isn't a history of this kind of stuff. I'm not defending the kids if they're lying and I wasn't baying for anyone's blood initially either. We've already got the "era believes things without evidence poster" showing their ass already.

Oct 25, 2017
This case just shows that some people are completely incapable of looking at this case as an individual case of thieves who happen to be black and still trying to discussit as an example of racism.
I get that.
It was initially discussed as an example of racism, because the situation itself is familiar.
Shit, I was slightly heated watching that video because of how familiar it seemed, laughing at the lads, acting like their criminals etc etc. But I guess I was trolled, unfortunately.
Right now, I'm not sure what to make of this. Feel bad for the manager though, she buckled under the pressure.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
It's peculiar to me that this story turned the way that it did. Because as someone who's worked in food service, in a management role, my first thoughts reading about this was even with it being true that these dipshits were actual thieves of that Chipotle, the manager still handled it wrong.
It is true that there are more experienced managers/supervisors who would have handled it differently and even better. However, since you have worked the restaurant industry, you know experience of staff members varies and so does the day-to-day contexts that occur in a particular restaurant. Sometimes, even the most experienced manager will handle a situation poorly. Sticking a camera in front of a worker's face can also apply a change in behavior as he or she has to think about how to handle a situation that may end up on youtube or risk the job.

Once the tweets came out, everyone in this thread flipped. No one here is defending them anymore. If you're concerned about those that are, sign onto Twitter and have some conversations with people who have gotten the update but are still blindly defending the boys.
There should not have ever been a need to flip if posters would have been willing to try to look at it from the restaurant staff perspective.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Are there still people siding with the guys? Or am I trippin right now.
No one is siding with the men.

This is now a discussion on whether or not initially believing a black person who claims they were discriminated against counts as outrage culture.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have just made the food, and then refused to give it to them if they had no money. It wastes food but I'm sure some employee would have been happy to take home an extra meal.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
"Customers order their food and pay after it's been prepared" is 100% their policy. That's the policy she broke.

You could parse that quote a bit more, or at least understand how it could be construed differently in her situation. If she knew they weren't going to pay, technically they're not "customers" by most peoples definition (and the dictionary) since they weren't going to be purchasing any goods. I could see the conflict and uncertainty that arose from the circumstances. Obviously Chipotle believes different, and their right to do so because it's their policy. But it isn't so clear cut if you put yourself in her position in that particular moment.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Folks couldn't wait to pop up after those updates and call out the situation and others as if there isn't a history of this kind of stuff. I'm not defending the kids if they're lying and I wasn't baying for anyone's blood initially either. We've already got the "era believes things without evidence poster" showing their ass already.
There also seems to be a bit of glee from those posters.

mmazurkiewicz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly. That's likely exactly what happened.

I feel for the manager because these dudes were, in fact, thieves. But that was a dumb way to react. Especially since Chipotle is corporate, not a mom-and-pop that probably doesn't have every policy nailed down in writing.

They're policy is hold the food until they pay. She should have just made the food and not given it to them if they didn't pay. She decided not to take the small loss of actually assembling the meals, and is now punished because of it.

But yeh, let's make it all about her and not the twats who had a game of stealing from Chipotle.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The problem is they didn't technically steal.

They likely get the food up to the register and then fall back on a story about why they can't pay. Then the manager either has to throw out that already made food, or just let them take it without paying. So she had let them take it before without paying, but this time she chose to say they had to pay before she would bother making it.

Calling the cops to say "these people took food without paying because I let them do it" isn't going to get you very far.

But that doesn't make the manager any more correct here.

The scenario you described actually happens a lot. My favorite is the, "Oh darn! I swear I just got that gift card for my birthday. I know there's money on it..."Bullshit.

But restaurants, especially big ones, have allowances for product loss. It's unavoidable even in normal circumstances. So yeah, you take the loss. If it's a first time thing and you work at a place that allows you to do this, you take customer at their word and comp their meal. If it happens again, or if you're really getting a shady vibe, you refuse to give them the food and chalk it up as a loss. What's the asshole going to do at that point? Film you for not giving them free food?

Oct 25, 2017
I get that.
It was initially discussed as an example of racism, because the situation itself is familiar.
Shit, I was slightly heated watching that video because of how familiar it seemed, laughing at the lads, acting like their criminals etc etc. But I guess I was trolled, unfortunately.
Right now, I'm not sure what to make of this. Feel bad for the manager though, she buckled under the pressure.

And when I joined this thread people were still had problems of calling out the guys for various reasons. The last pages are still full of strawmans.

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking when someone is losing their job I should use reflect on my behaviour if I'm right here. Of course there are cases which are super obvious racist motivated.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. This guy is a grade A piece of shit and most people who saw this will never see the correction. Innocent workers killing themselves to barely make a buck getting shit on by thousands because of a dude who gets a rush out of making others lives miserable.

Literally the worst kind of person. Fuck.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Lol and? That doesn't prevent a damn thing.

Edit: I'm the GM of a restaurant. You confront thieves that's how it stops. Calling the cops straight up does not work.

Just seems like a slippery slope to me. Hypothetically, what if they were mistaken that these were thieves? Easy to do at a place like Chipotle, when you are dealing with hundreds if not thousands of different customers a day. That's why I think you shouldn't change up policy until a crime is actually committed.

I don't think the manager should have been fired though, should've had a chance to discuss with corporate how to handle these people. And if this wasn't their first offense I'm not sure why that didn't already happen. Maybe it did and she didn't follow protocol, hence the firing.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The scenario you described actually happens a lot. My favorite is the, "Oh darn! I swear I just got that gift card for my birthday. I know there's money on it..."Bullshit.

But restaurants, especially big ones, have allowances for product loss. It's unavoidable even in normal circumstances. So yeah, you take the loss. If it's a first time thing and you work at a place that allows you to do this, you take customer at their word and comp their meal. If it happens again, or if you're really getting a shady vibe, you refuse to give them the food and chalk it up as a loss. What's the asshole going to do at that point? Film you for not giving them free food?
You pretty much described exactly what happened here, no?

She recognized them because she had previously given them food without paying.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Should have just made the food, and then refused to give it to them if they had no money. It wastes food but I'm sure some employee would have been happy to take home an extra meal.
Yeah this is what she should have done. To fair to the manager, every day there are probably instances just like this where the manager recognizes a thief, refuse to serve them or asks them to pay up front, but it doesn't blow up like this. Ideally she should have just made the food, then held it until they gave the money, but, she didn't obviously. She's the victim here and I'm hoping somebody gives her a job.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No one is siding with the men.

This is now a discussion on whether or not initially believing a black person who claims they were discriminated against counts as outrage culture.

So we just got a few random posters arguing with...themselves? And patting themselves on the back over it? Cause since them tweets been revealed on page 2 or 3, I haven't seen anybody double down on backing the kids.

Unless I missed it.

I don't see why the "how can people still back these kids" posts are necessary. It's in the OP. Shit been updated.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So dude thieved? Or just talked about thieving? Hmm fuck him. Still sus as fuck dudes in here tho I see

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So we just got a few random posters arguing with...themselves? And patting themselves on the back over it? Cause since them tweets been revealed on page 2 or 3, I haven't seen anybody double down on backing the kids.

Unless I missed it.
Once it was revealed that the dudes were thieving assholes, some people who either were initially siding with the manager or lurking decided to wag their finger at posters here for daring to believe a black man could be the victim of racism, as if that's a thing that just doesn't happen anymore. Hence, there's two discussions going on now: whether or not it is wrong to initially believe minorities when they claim to be the victim of systemic forces, and an overarching discussion about the manager's actions and loss prevention culture.

So dude thieved? Or just talked about thieving?
Dude has thieved before. Manager recognized him in the video as a thief and didn't serve him. Thief framed it as an incident of racial discrimination.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is what she should have done. To fair to the manager, every day there are probably instances just like this where the manager recognizes a thief, refuse to serve them or asks them to pay up front, but it doesn't blow up like this. Ideally she should have just made the food, then held it until they gave the money, but, she didn't obviously. She's the victim here and I'm hoping somebody gives her a job.

In retail, you never ask a customer to show you that they have money upfront. Never. It reeks of profiling. You either serve the customer in good faith or you deny service with a reasonable justification.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
And when I joined this thread people were still had problems of calling out the guys for various reasons. The last pages are still full of strawmans.

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking when someone is losing their job I should use reflect on my behaviour if I'm right here. Of course there are cases which are super obvious racist motivated.
I think the problem is you fail to realize just how damaging racism is to a person. You care about the job. In the last thread you cared about the job. You're all about the jobs. What you don't seem to care so much about is how damaging racism can be to a person, how it can scar them and follow them around their whole lives. You care about the job of a person you don't know, but you don't care about the dehumanization of the other person, or at least, it's not your priority. If you shared concern for victims of racism as much as you do for people that lose their jobs, people wouldn't draw conclusions about how you really feel.

Yes in this case the woman was a victim and racism didn't occur and the woman DID lose her job, which everybody agrees is not fair.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
They're policy is hold the food until they pay. She should have just made the food and not given it to them if they didn't pay. She decided not to take the small loss of actually assembling the meals, and is now punished because of it.

But yeh, let's make it all about her and not the twats who had a game of stealing from Chipotle.

Well, I'm sorry, but this is kind of about her, either way you shake it. The fork in the road here was that she was either racially biased as fuck against black customers at the worst possible time, or handled the situation in the worst possible way that caused a PR nightmare for a big corporation. Both of those are bad.

I mean, you're right that it shouldn't go unsaid that these boys were huge assholes. They are, and they're getting dragged for it.

bruhh

Oct 26, 2017
Telling a thief that they aren't allowed to steal makes you a bad person now.

huh nice to know

Hope those guys lose their jobs.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You just said that she was wrong and then suggested that she do exactly what you criticized her for.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is you fail to realize just how damaging racism is to a person. You care about the job. In the last thread you cared about the job. You're all about the jobs. What you don't seem to care so much about is how damaging racism can be to a person, how it can scar them and follow them around their whole lives. You care about the job of a person you don't know, but you don't care about the dehumanization of the other person, or at least, it's not your priority. If you shared concern for victims of racism as much as you do for people that lose their jobs, people wouldn't draw conclusions about how you really feel.

What? Like I say the last similar thread I replied was about a black man who just wanted to enter his apartment and I wasn't defending the white woman there. You better start quoting posts.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused, by that last tweet in the OP by @ay3en ... so the twitter guy stole stuff or what?

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
You just said that she was wrong and then suggested that she do exactly what you criticized her for.

Not at all. What I'm saying, and what she should have done, is refused them service and explained why. Full stop. Nothing else added.
The "pay first" freestyle is where she messed up. Honestly, that was odd even at the point of this ride where everyone thought the boys were telling the truth.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
There is really no value behind that policy.

This would be still no argument for the lack of employee protection.
What? Like I say the last similar thread I replied was about a black man who just wanted to enter his apartment and I wasn't defending the white woman there. You better start quoting posts.
I read through a few pages not all of them. Again, you're all about the jobs. Though you did post initially about asking what the lady's end game was, but you never particularly seem to care about the obvious racism on display.

Like I said, you seem to care more about somebody losing their job than racism occurring. And I don't think I'm taking a leap in logic here considering you already said you wait until all the facts because outrage can cost somebody a job.

Now me personally, I'm fine with assuming that racism has occurred until proven otherwise. In this case I was proven otherwise. It does suck for that lady though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, by that last tweet in the OP by @ay3en ... so the twitter guy stole stuff or what?

He has a history of stealing shit. He has years of talking about on twitter. It isn't hard to tell why a lot of us who initially took the dudes side ended up switching. New info keeps on flowing in.

All we have are those videos, and the resurfaced tweets.

Only thing that would be an icing on the cake is an old FB post from the manager of her expressing that she hates black people...but you know. Theoreticals. This thread is full of it.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why'd you want people calling the cops for such trivial shit? Like this is the remit of being a manager. Dealing with problem assholes. She did so in a really calm way and actually gave them a chance.

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The assertion that she did anything worth losing her job over is mental.

It's like shoplifting

Corporations would rather have people steal a few things than take a PR hit or worse, a liability hit if an employee gets hurt

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This case just shows that some people are completely incapable of looking at this case as an individual case of thieves who happen to be black and still trying to discussit as an example of racism.

Please show any posts after the new tweets of people defending the group of people. Defending something that appears racist at first, is a completely reasonable take.

Even including the new tweets the manager still handled the situation poorly whatever you may think.

But please go on how people should not defend against actions that appear to be driven by race..

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're willing to make the assumption she knew them, or had knowledge of years-old tweets, sure. I didn't see the comments from the staff, can you link them? It would be nice if someone could offer some concrete proof here either way.

In the three videos I saw in the OP, staff other than the manager is interacting with them like they know whats up. I don't know. Obviously it's hard to know for sure just based on whats here, but I don't think this is a clear cut case of the manager being racist, and I don't think that she should have been let go personally.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Please show any posts after the new tweets of people defending the group of people. Defending something that appears racist at first, is a completely reasonable take.

Even including the new tweets the manager still handled the situation poorly whatever you may think.

But please go on how people should not defend against actions that appear to be driven by race..

Don't get in the way of the tone police. They have jobs to do!

Oct 25, 2017

Not for some people, apparently.
Seriously, they can't fathom that the initial reaction to this was reasonable given how many of these incidents were filmed this year? Not to mention the day to day shit a lot of us experience, this looks normal.
Well, I guess not..shocking as that may be to some people.

It's all outrage culture
/s