• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
As someone who does not have much of an interest in either I do not think they are comparable.

Chrono Cross is pretty commonly seen as an alright with a great soundtrack and not much else beyond it. Chrono Trigger is rightfully accepted as a masterpiece by most gamers, but I rarely see people mentioning or even caring that it has a sequel. It is not even a franchise, really.

The Last Jedi though? I would more directly associate it with stuff like the Sonic the Hedgehog or Halo franchises where they had big games that reviewed well but ultimately clashed with the ideals of a large amount the fans so hard that even a lot of lifelong fans just completely stopped caring. It is pretty notable with those game franchises as sales have been declining for years after those moments. Star Wars is in a pretty significant decline beyond just the core fans too.

Low quality or especially divisive movies and games in franchises are whatever, but there is something really notable when diehard fans just stop caring entirely. Chrono Cross has done nothing to Chrono Trigger's legacy.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Trigger PS1: November 2, 1999
Cross: November 18, 1999

It's amazing how everything you post is literally factually wrong.
You know they didn't make cross in 16 days right? The retcons were made so that Cross would still make sense. That poster is incorrect about it releasing later though.

You are right that it and TLJ are similar. They're both very divisive titles.

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

and heck nothing in the DS version retconned earlier versions, it just added stuff <_<
People really have no idea what CC actually is anymore and just go on hate from the release period.(not targeted quoted for the last part)
Best analogy i've had for the Chrono series are these 2 comparisons
Chrono trigger = Back to the Future aka Time travel is fun, Chrono Cross =BTTF2 aka Fuck fuck fuck time travel has fucked up consequences and the other
Chrono Trigger is the Hobbit aka the childhood adventure with little consequence and CC is The lord of the Rings where the fans grew up to see a darker overall tone with their story. But thats just my opinion on that.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
pWaRCT8.png

What kinda shit poll groups Solo and Rogue One?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Jedi is the greatest Star Wars film of all time and Chrono Cross is my personal favorite PSX RPG. So I am ok with this.

What an incredible and gorgeous film:
TRAJQT4.jpg

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best analogy i've had for the Chrono series are these 2 comparisons
Chrono trigger = Back to the Future aka Time travel is fun, Chrono Cross =BTTF2 aka Fuck fuck fuck time travel has fucked up consequences and the other
Chrono Trigger is the Hobbit aka the childhood adventure with little consequence and CC is The lord of the Rings where the fans grew up to see a darker overall tone with their story. But thats just my opinion on that.

Great analogy!

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Uhhh, you're the one who don't seem to have played it. Radius alone has more characterization and character growth than the entire playable cast of CT combined. Like, it isn't even funny.

But hey, if you think Crono and Ayla had more character growth in CT then I would love to hear your arguments.

I don't think CT is some paragon of character growth either, as my enjoyment of it is more about thematic arch, setting, and character set pieces.

Chrono Trigger DS came out in 2008 you nincompoop.

You're just pointlessly flailing about now. Just like Chrono Cross.

and heck nothing in the DS version retconned earlier versions, it just added stuff <_<

It literally changed the ending to Trigger.

I'm starting to think that CC fans like CC because you had to fill all the gaps and pointlessness and aimlessness with head cannon.

Which is fine, but your head cannon doesn't actually rectify the actual product as it exists.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
If there's one little thing I'll never understand in the world of gaming, it's the hate for Chrono Cross.

I get that as a "sequel" to Chrono Trigger, it wasn't what most fans expected.

But on its own, it's a pretty dang good JRPG.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think CT is some paragon of character growth either, as my enjoyment of it is more about thematic arch, setting, and character set pieces.

Chrono Trigger DS came out in 2008 you nincompoop.

You're just pointlessly flailing about now. Just like Chrono Cross.

It literally changed the ending to Trigger.

I'm starting to think that CC fans like CC because you had to fill all the gaps and pointlessness and aimlessness with head cannon.

Which is fine, but your head cannon doesn't actually rectify the actual product as it exists.
What ending did it change? If you meant Dalton fucking over the kingdom that was going to happen regardless since that plotline was in the original. The kingdom was going to get rekt because crono and gang were careless and didnt outright kill the dude.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's harsh dude, like what did that poor game do to you for you to compare it to something like TLJ.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, because TLJ isn't divisive. It's just a very loud vocal minority online hating on it.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
What ending did it change? If you meant Dalton fucking over the kingdom that was going to happen regardless since that plotline was in the original. The kingdom was going to get rekt because crono and gang were careless and didnt outright kill the dude.
Didnt he get sucked into the portal when he tries to summon the golem? So he 'got away' but not on purpose.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didnt he get sucked into the portal when he tries to summon the golem? So he 'got away' but not on purpose.

And Deus Ex'd his way from being a minor incompetent villain to probably one of the biggest catalysts of the entire series.

But not in the original game.

Or the sequel.

But in a re-release 20 years after the fact that Square needed to add to make the story from CT->CC make sense.

CT and CC are both a total hot mess. CT just had the benefit of being, at the time, a one off.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Deus Ex'd his way from being a minor incompetent villain to probably one of the biggest catalysts of the entire series.

Or the sequel.

But in a re-release 20 years after the fact that Square needed to add to make the story from CT->CC make sense.

CT and CC are both a total hot mess. CT just had the benefit of being, at the time, a one off.
Happened in the psx re-release, not the DS release.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
No, because TLJ isn't divisive. It's just a very loud vocal minority online hating on it.

I mean it kinda is. It has significantly lower user scores than ANH, ESB and ROTJ on IMDB, Letterboxd, RT, Metacritic, etc and I'm sure that will always be downplayed as sexism or review bombing by people who find it incomprehensible that TLJ isn't loved by everyone.

I honestly doubt you'll find many other places where TLJ would outvote A New Hope as people's favourite SW film.

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close.
Chrono Cross is deemed as worse than Trigger, but still really good.
Last Jedi has half of SW fans thinking it's really bad and hurt the franchise as a whole.

A closer comparison would be something like DmC or similar.

The notion that TLJ is hated by "half of SW fans" is based on an audience score that RT literally said was influenced by trolls.

Also, hurt the franchise? What? Solo hurt the franchise. TLJ was hugely successful.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Star Wars is a good analogy to Chrono Trigger/Cross.

Serviceable first entry, screwed up by its creators mistake in going back to fuck with it after the fact.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First reply nails it, as usual.
Then why was TLJ one of the most critically acclaimed in the franchise and why is it consistently ranked as one of the top films in fan polls, including here?

I honestly doubt you'll find many other places where TLJ would outvote A New Hope as people's favourite SW film.
It typically does at Star Wars fan sites. TLJ being second to ESB in fan polling is pretty consistent online.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross is the Dragon Ball GT of video gaming.

(Actually, that might not be fair. Akira Toriyama at least did some design work for GT.)

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017

Or the sequel.

Yea Dalton going from jobber to changing the future was dumb, I still like CC tho

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it kinda is. It has significantly lower user scores than ANH, ESB and ROTJ on IMDB, Letterboxd, RT, Metacritic, etc and I'm sure that will always be downplayed as sexism or review bombing by people who find it incomprehensible that TLJ isn't loved by everyone.

I don't think it would here if there was a ranked poll. TLJ comes second I suspect because most people who would put ANH ahead of it also put ESB ahead of everything.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FPBP.

The Last Jedi sucks. Chrono Cross can legit contend for one of the best RPGs of all time and its unique among JRPGs. There's nothing unique about TLJ unless your cinematic history consists of nothing but SW movies.
So the near universal praise from critics for TLJ...means film critics haven't seen any movies other than Star Wars?

TLJ is one of the most critically acclaimed films in the franchise, yet you say to hold that view you must not have seen any non-Star Wars films?