TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Here is my review:

Console Creatures - Recommended

There are certainly issues Square easily could have addressed and the remastering process feels a bit half-assed. I like the new character models and portraits but I hate the remastered filtered levels as they have lost a lot of the personality behind them.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So uh... I guess I should import a PSX disc afterall? :(

Can you do that for less than $20?

Like yeah, I get that the remaster is half-assed and the smear filter is objectively worse than the original. But at the same time it's still not that expensive and the most convenient legal alternative you have requires a PS3. And the refined soundtrack and QoL features still seem like improvements over the original. The framerate isn't improved from the original, but not worse.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Can you do that for less than $20?

Like yeah, I get that the remaster is half-assed and the smear filter is objectively worse than the original. But at the same time it's still not that expensive and the most convenient legal alternative you have requires a PS3. And the refined soundtrack and QoL features still seem like improvements over the original. The framerate isn't improved from the original, but not worse.

That's also true, I would need to pay about 50€ for an import. Maybe I'll end up getting the remaster on Steam though instead of Switch to be able to mod it.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
So what are the Battle enhancement features other then getting invicible option ? i was expecting rebalancing, or something more interesting, nothing have change ?

What a load of crap, the game could have been so much more and better....

EDIT: how the hell Saga Frontier got the best remaster version ever and they give CC that trash treatment.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
It's sad the remaster didn't go above and beyond but I'm really happy it just exists as it is so I can retire my friggin PS3 version. It only costs ten dollars more than that version so I kept my expectations in check. I would have been happy with a straight port with trophies. I just hope it sells enough for SE to maybe do anything else with the franchise going forward. Please support this series.

Side question, I forget does Radical Dreamers have a save function? I can't remember how long it is.

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA
I've been playing this the past week and really enjoyed my revisit with Chrono Cross. I haven't played it since the original launch back in August 2000… so the nostalgia hit very different.

If there are any questions, happy to answer them here.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Been wanting to play this game for a long, long time and will finally do so this week. Only thing I'm sorta bummed about are the backgrounds looking blurry.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Welp, still unfortunately rewarding Square for their half-assed remaster since I don't have a PS1/PS3 and don't feel like emulating a copy on PC. I'm also extremely susceptible to nostalgia bait.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another relatively positive review from Eurogamer - Recommended
reading this, I had completely forgotten about the battle system of this game. It's wild, and feels extremely smart. It feels like a battle system that should have had more influence. Like, that battle system is probably better-suited for the designers to give players a tailor-made challenging experience that rewards smarts over powerleveling brute force.

I'm really excited to replay this game.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Still no trophy list posted anywhere... Any chance someone who has reviewed can provide a list or overview? I see from the wccftech review that you gotta do 100% so that's good at least

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Sounds like a lot of the same issues the PS1 Final Fantasy games have with their modern ports. Especially the blurry backgrounds contrasting with the crisper models. Honestly, it seems like it doesn't have nearly as many issues or changes as the modern FFIX port. Not that this means people aren't allowed to criticize it or anything of course (because I know if I don't say this that's how someone will read this), just that if you've played something like FFIX on modern systems, you've experienced a lot of these issues already plus more and may be able to get used to it.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: how the hell Saga Frontier got the best remaster version ever and they give CC that trash treatment.
SaGa Frontier has the benefit of two internal producers who wanted to make it happen, existing resources for them to use to "finish" the game, a popular gacha to help justify the cost, and it's sold for more.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing there is no pre-order/pre-load for PS considering it was announced minutes after the direct and on the shop just says "add to wishlist"