• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Moviegoers could be paying a little extra to see a film at a Cineplex theatre this summer.

Canada's largest film exhibitor said it has introduced a $1.50 booking fee that applies to each ticket purchased through its mobile app and website.

The move comes as the company said it needs "to further invest and evolve our digital infrastructure."

However, not everyone will have to pay the new service charge.

Cineplex Inc. says purchases made in-person at the box office, ticket kiosks, or concession stands will not be subject to the fee, while members of the Scene Plus rewards program will pay a reduced $1 per ticket.

Subscribers to CineClub, the company's monthly subscription program, will have the fee waived entirely.

preparing for the recession, I see.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
'how do we make people who are used to watching movies at home more likely to come back and watch them at our theatre?'
'charge more, without increasing the quality of our service?'
'you're a GENIUS'

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
There's nothing I like more than getting a convenience fee for something that I know costs nearly nothing.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AMC has something similar with a membership waiving the fees. it's kind of crappy as in 2022 it's hardly extra service to let someone book online.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
This is some fuckery.

If anything, booking online makes it easier to plan to see a film. Because who the fuck wants to wait in line or go through a kiosk terminal, shortly before viewing, to get a ticket?

soursamo

Oct 27, 2017
Ran into this this weekend. If you go to the theater and buy your tickets in advance you don't get charged for it

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont think Regal has it yet but i cant be sure, my local regal doesnt seem to have reserved seating

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah pretty much they call it a "convenience fee" which is so dumb lol

Fandango does it too I think.
What's dumb is that it's a convenience to THEM.
There's far less cost to them to do this then to have actual employees selling tickets.
There was no extra fee when using kiosks, why is this different.
(rhetorical question, as I know the answer is because they can, and they're greedy, so they will)

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I didn't even know there were places that didn't do this. "Convenience fees" are pretty ubiquitous. "We cut out paying a cashier, so it costs… more? Yeah, sounds right."

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna wait until everyone starts running the ticketmaster bullshit just to rip everyone off.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Has this not been a thing in Canada? It's been a thing for at least a decade in the US

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
There's far less cost to them to do this then to have actual employees selling tickets.
(rhetorical question, as I know the answer is because they can, and they're greedy, so they will)
Does cineplex sell in-seat meals and stuff? I could see them trying to encourage people to actually show up if so...if customers buy tickets and don't show up, they will lose out on whatever they'd have made off a person in that seat.

Not saying I know why this is happening, but it's just a theory.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah it auto upsells you for food, digital download, they should be charging extra for inperson, but they know all of their sales are web

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
'how do we make people who are used to watching movies at home more likely to come back and watch them at our theatre?'
'you're a GENIUS'

Yeah, pretty much this.

Before the pandemic I was at the theatre all the time, I love movies. Since the beginning of the pandemic, I've been exactly once.

Increasing the price won't make me want to go back there more often...

Last edited:

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
All i have to do is wait 45days after release most movies come to streaming service, less than 9 hours until Doctor Strange drops on Disney+

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
im sure this will change my habit of showing up to movies 6 weeks into their theater run at 12:05 while sneaking in my own drink and snack

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cineplex can't increase movie ticket prices without companies like Disney eating 50 cents on the dollar of each increase so this is one of the avenues they can effectively increase ticket prices without studios stealing a cut.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't imagine most people will even notice this. It's just gonna be a transaction fee applied at checkout and people will just shrug and complete their transaction.

It is what it is.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
1.50$ per ticket... per freaking ticket. That adds up when you buy tickets for a bunch of people... God damn it.

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
Buying tickets online is literally doing their job for them. Now they're charging customers to do their job

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does cineplex sell in-seat meals and stuff? I could see them trying to encourage people to actually show up if so...if customers buy tickets and don't show up, they will lose out on whatever they'd have made off a person in that seat.

Not saying I know why this is happening, but it's just a theory.
I understand that you're making a theory, but... WHY would you pay for movie tickets... Then not go?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I don't imagine most people will even notice this. It's just gonna be a transaction fee applied at checkout and people will just shrug and complete their transaction.
i would have said my sister was one of those types, but she booked three tickets this past weekend for Jurassic World (it blew) for her and me, and while we were waiting beforehand she was complaining about the fee and said she'll just pay at the theater from now on

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
'you're a GENIUS'

"Why aren't people going to the movies?! Maybe we should make it less desirable and see if that changes anything"

What's funny is the European CinemaCon is currently happening, and most statements are talking about how good the theater quality is currently, and the problem is there's not enough movies and that audiences aren't going to see movies in theaters that don't have massive buzz.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Cineplex can't increase movie ticket prices without companies like Disney eating 50 cents on the dollar of each increase so this is one of the avenues they can effectively increase ticket prices without studios stealing a cut.
It's probably this; but it's also quite feasible they have a better deal on transaction fees if you buy at the theater vs. on their web site. It's a space (retail point of sale, online retail) rife w/ crappy vendors.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
'you're a GENIUS'
Alternate Take of that Conversation: "How do we pass on the savings from having electronic sales that don't require us to staff as many employees in the box office booth since the customer is doing everything on their phone, plus the materials saved from not having to print out as many tickets/receipts?"

"We charge them $1.50 more instead!"

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably this; but it's also quite feasible they have a better deal on transaction fees if you buy at the theater vs. on their web site. It's a space (retail point of sale, online retail) rife w/ crappy vendors.
I got my information by someone that used to work in finance there; he's left so it's speculation but informed still.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
welcome to the party canadians. pretty much every theater in San Francisco has been doing that well before the pandemic.