• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm not trying to blame it on inflation. just to say this IS inflation.

"Inflation is the increase in the prices of goods and services over time." the fact that its disguised doesn't change that it's inflation
Not every price hike can be attributed to inflation or inflated operational costs. Does it factor into inflation? Of course. Do some companies just jack up prices because they can? Of course.

I guess you can blame your frustration with Ticketmaster on inflation.

Cineplex are solely responsible for the destruction of independent theatres in Canada, they had a complete monopoly until Landmark started popping up.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Book your tickets online, pay $1.50, buy overpriced popcorn and get the latest COVID variant.

What a deal.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fine, charge my partner and I $3 more per movie that we book tickets to going forward. We'll spend at least $10 less on concessions per movie. Deal?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
what the hell this sounds so dumb to me, surprised other people were dealing with it for a while now

:(

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any Theatres in Toronto worth going to anymore? Since Uptown, York, and Eglinton were all closed, my moviegoing dropped a lot. I've only been to one of the VIP screens in the last few years, and while it was comfortable, the image and sound quality was really poor.

I like Yonge-Dundas due to it's location
I usually go outside Toronto though

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Supremely idiotic. If anything, they should charge extra for on-site tickets, since it's more expensive for them to have a person at the booth, and should incentivize people to do it online!

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Not every price hike can be attributed to inflation or inflated operational costs. Does it factor into inflation? Of course. Do some companies just jack up prices because they can? Of course.

I guess you can blame your frustration with Ticketmaster on inflation.

Cineplex are solely responsible for the destruction of independent theatres in Canada, they had a complete monopoly until Landmark started popping up.

Er, Landmark has been around for a long time. You may be seeing more Landmark theatres because they're actually expanding these days in Western Canada compared to Cineplex.

Having said that, the movie business tends to move toward consolidation because of the huge upfront and ongoing CapEx.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Scotiabank. This is a Canadian cinema chain.
Scotiabank does not own Cineplex. They have naming rights for the flagship cinemas, and a partnership through the Scene loyalty program.

Onex used to own them, but they were spun-off as an independent corporation a decade or so ago. (The history of Canadian cinema chains is messy.)

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing in the U.S.

I can't remember a time when we didn't lol. Here's the oldest receipt I could find
hnQxHEp.png

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Supremely idiotic. If anything, they should charge extra for on-site tickets, since it's more expensive for them to have a person at the booth, and should incentivize people to do it online!

They mostly use automated ticket kiosks on site at this point, and regardless this is presumably a way for them to charge more money in a way works around their contractual agreements with movie studios/distributors, and allows them to keep it all.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Is that the one in downtown that actually has a real IMAX?

Yes. And you can be sure it's replacement won't have a 70mm 80 foot screen. You have close to the real thing in Mississauga/Vaughan and that's it for non-Liemax now. Obviously outside the Science centre (+ formerly Niagara which was recently bulldozed)

They no longer have non-automated kiosks with people staffing them. Automation self serve future...

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. And you can be sure it's replacement won't have a 70mm 80 foot screen. You have close to the real thing in Mississauga/Vaughan and that's it for non-Liemax now. Obviously outside the Science centre (+ formerly Niagara which was recently bulldozed)

They no longer have non-automated kiosks with people staffing them. Automation self serve future...

They have someone nearby checking tickets and also manning the counter when someone comes in who has no idea how to use technology and needs to pay cash.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
If that $1.50 can go into building actual Imax theaters and not the Liemax shit, then sure.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Cineplex has 160 locations. Minimum wage, in Ontario at least, is $15.50/hr. Theatres operate, let's say, 12-12, 7 days a week. That's about $10.8 million saved yearly, if a single box office employee at each location is eliminated. (Some locations used to have as many as five.)

If you were dev savvy, then you'd realize that PoS systems are far more expensive to maintain per dollar of revenue earned, excluding staffing costs on top of that, yet this fee does not apply. It also doesn't cost more money to process two tickets instead of one in transaction any more than it does at point of sale.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. Thank you!