• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-11-16-i-am-never-making-another-game-bleszinski

Yesterday afternoon, a recently created Twitter account directed its first (and so far, only) tweet at Bleszinski and the official account for Boss Key's debut game, Lawbreakers, expressing anger for not refunding the money players spent on the game, which launched in August 2017 and was taken offline after a little over a year of service.

That didn't sit well with Bleszinski, who responded, "I paid my employees, their 401ks, and their health care - even months after the studio folded. So they could care for their families. I didn't take a salary myself for two years. I get you're sad, but god, this kinda shit is another reason I am NEVER making another game."

[UPDATE]: When asked by GamesIndustry.biz how seriously people should take his tweeted reply to a likely troll account, Bleszinski responded simply, "I'm done."

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
zSIRh.jpg

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Im sure it may change.

Right now the burn and impact of it alls a little to close. Give him a few years

But at this point i dint think hell make a new studio. Might just do consulting, or work on a specific project for a studio

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'd leave too, game devs get paid shit and treated like shit from their "fans"

Good on him for paying his employees and not himself. Respect

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Bad spelling aside, how is that a troll account? Sounds like the dude just wants their money back....sounds reasonable?

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
We're not in the "iconic dev" era anymore
Yup.
I thought about this the other day with my idol Ken Levine.
Publishers used to think a name would sell a game, so they were given large budgets and ample creative freedom to work with. But that thinking ended 5-7 years ago when the results didn't match.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there are a lot of people who drop off the map after working in the industry for a few years, assuming it's not a grunt-level position. I'm guessing you won't ever have to work again, so he might as well do what he wants to do.

Jan 2, 2018
I'm actually bummed about that- I think he is a talented creator.
You win some you lose some,that's life- Gears was a huge success,Lawbreakers was not,it happens.
Hope he will reconsider.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I get it from both sides honestly. It's good that Cliff prioritized paying his employees, something he wouldn't have been able to do most likely, had he refunded all purchases of the game.

On the other hand, players who supported the game now have an essentially useless product just a little over a year after its release.

I know Cliff's reputation isn't all that bright, but he's been responsible for some amazing games, so I hope he sticks around.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Cliff can run a little hot from time to time. He probably needs some more time removed from the lawbreakers situation, but I think he'll come back. You can tell just by how he conducts himself in interviews that his mind is racing 100mph. He's too creative to just sit at home.

He's a great idea man, I'd love for him to join an already well established team that can kind of put the reigns on him a tad. Then he can just focus solely on new ideas and game mechanics rather than running a team and trying to market a game.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup.
I thought about this the other day with my idol Ken Levine.
Publishers used to think a name would sell a game, so they were given large budgets and ample creative freedom to work with. But that thinking ended 5-7 years ago when the results didn't match.

Pretty much. Most gamers think of games as being made by companies rather than people so that's a losing proposition.

AppleRedX

Jan 15, 2018
Oh, he retires. Again. And this time for real ...

Wasnˋt his first retirement somwhere back 2012 or so?

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
much like professional wrestling he will be back within 3 years

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Honestly, at that point it should've been a free PS+ game or something. I guess some players would've bought microtransactions.

Yup, it really would have benefited from being on PS+ or sticking with their original F2P ideas. Lawbreakers also needed a better art style, the serious and gritty dudes in armour really missed the mark. Finally, the game needed better patch support and a reactive dev team, I got qucikly tired of how OP the Wraith was and just packed it in, even though I enjoyed playing it.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Call me crazy but I really hoped he`d join The Coaltion in developing a Gears-game some time.

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Good idea man...bad business man.. He should just run a studio for MS until he's get's old

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, he retires. Again. And this time for real ...

Wasnˋt his first retirement somwhere back 2012 or so?
I don't know if I'd classify that as a retirement. That was just a sabbatical where he took a break after spending literally his entire adult life up to the point as an employee of Epic.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess he got enough leftover facebook monies to retire comfortably.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lawbreakers was just so much random bad timing...came right after OW, came right as BR games overtook oxygen supply in popularity...and died right before BR games kinda started to return to earth in popularity. Like if it came out 6 months pre-OW, or today, it might have had a chance. It was never going to blow up, but not be DOA like it was.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
He should partner up with Phil Fish for a return years down the road, both of them were great developers that just let things get to their head too easily. I think it'd be great to see them take that passion and turn it on its head and the industry and make something great from it, rather then just giving up and going away.

It's their choice though and I wish Cliffy the best, thanks for all the great games and memories I had playing them.