• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good on him for supporting his staff, much respect.

Still young, he might get the itch again but if not enjoy your retirement, new adventures and ignore trolls, hateful people, you don't need to respond.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
If he wasn't such an asshole maybe he wouldn't get so much shit. I remember getting into argument with him on Twitter. But hey I respect his push towards gears years ago. But see ya Cliff...

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Social media can get under your skin easily. I would hate to be in his place so I understand why a single tweet broke him.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
Depends how rich you are. If you're super flush and can afford wasting a ton of money chasing more... go for it. If his nestegg has dwindled, but still enough to live a good life... no sense jeopardizing that chasing a lottery ticket.

The odds of hitting in this market is incredibly slim.

Somebody had that recent thread about making your dream game if someone gave you 100 million dollars. I'd pocket as much of that cash as I could (salary for me and friends and family), cause even if you hired the best, odds are it would still be a bomb and tank. This market is brutal and only embraces the mega-hits.

Sorry - it was meant to be snark on his "It will be a BILLION dollar franchise" ... Im bad at snark today evidently.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not the best response from Cliff and I wish him the best of luck, but holy shit at the entitlement of the original tweeter.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Considering Cliffy claims he's paid for his closed studio's co-workers medical expenses and etc., you're saying then that was the wrong decision, and that money should have been prioritized to refund poor gamers? Where do you expect the money to come from?

Like, that's over the line. Not reasonable.
What he did is called scam.

He sold a product to you play online but you can't play it because it shutdown.

Do you paid for what?

The consumer has nothing to do with his game failure... the consumer should ask refund.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cliff's a good dude, glad he's taking another break. I imagine that someday he'll get that feeling again and give us Jazz Jackrabbit 4 or something but until then I hope he enjoys retirement.

Also, he doesn't owe consumers anything, you buy at your own risk.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you paid for what?

The consumer has nothing to do with his game failure... the consumer should ask refund.

Oh fuck off with this entitled bullshit. It's not a scam that a game failed.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Cliffy claims he's paid for his closed studio's co-workers medical expenses and etc., you're saying then that was the wrong decision, and that money should have been prioritized to refund poor gamers? Where do you expect the money to come from?

Like, that's over the line. Not reasonable.
This is what we call a strawman argument.

Actual statement: It's not entitled for someone to want a refund for a product that stopped working.

What you're arguing against: "Cliffy B should have refunded customers instead of paying his employees."

These are not the same thing and it's disingenuous to pretend they are.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I hope he chooses to come back at some point, but if he doesn't then fair enough. Can't say I would blame him.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well, should have made a good game instead, single player, story focused, or maybe even something innovative and new like Hellblade instead of trying to jump on the newest hype train with microtransactions and GAAS focus.

The "old way" can still work. Right now, for smaller companies, probably better than anywhere in the last 10 years. Or just join a company and help there creating something cool. Like other said, he would probably get hired in a heartbeat.

Sushigod7

Oct 26, 2017
This was playable for about a year wasn't it and it was $30? The outrage over $30 and a game you did play for a year is ridiculous. Shit happens with businesses in general I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to close up shop but expecting someone to give you a refund a year later is just not how any business is done. Expecting it is entitled af if you think this is okay then your part of the problem, tell us how you spent your money to keep your employees afloat. What business did you start and run successfully? I'm not a fan of the guy in the slightest his attitude has always rubbed me the wrong way but doesn't mean he should have to deal with this. Good for him to do something else he certainly has the money to do so it seems.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I hope he one day does come back, but I can see why he would want to step away ... again.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
remembers Cliffy was part of a lawsuit to legally erase another video game from existence after his company didn't provide support for their own engine

alexa play crawling by linkin park

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If you're making games for the fans, you're doing it wrong

Good on Cliffy though, no salary for 2 years as the top dog is commendable, and on top of that he pays his staff after the company folds. You wont catch me making jokes about him, that's for sure

let's be real though, no one was going to invest in a CliffyB game again

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I don't care for Cliff, gamers sure are a bunch of entitled whiners. That tweet is not the first of its kind and is a strangely common sentiment amongst a lot of people.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh nice of him to take care of his employees after the closure.

I hope he enjoys life for a bit and just takes a break. Wouldn't mind seeing him come back after a few years .

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Can't hate on the guy if he covered his employees ass like that even after the studio folded up. Hope the dude enjoy his retirement and if he finds the passion to come back he does so.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear he's taken care of the workers. He gets some unfair stick.

Kind of reminds me of David Jaffe, very good for a period but can't come up with anything sadly. Perhaps these guys can come back in a new era.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Man that fucking sucks. He's still a legend as far as I'm concerned. Gears, Unreal and UT ain't really the same without him. Dude's been wanting to retire from game development since 2012 so I sincerely wish him the best in his endeavours.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
They delivered a working product, what do you (not you specifically) want?
Most people purchase non-consumable items with the expectation they remain useable for a period exceeding a year and one month.

If you want to argue he made the right decision in his priorities, that's one thing. And I would agree with it.

Arguing that it is entitled for consumers to expect their product to remain more than entirely unuseable for more than a year and one month is just plainly ludicrous.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I don't care for Cliff, gamers sure are a bunch of entitled whiners. That tweet is not the first of its kind and is a strangely common sentiment amongst a lot of people.
I can't think of enthusiasts of any other hobby off the top of my head that feel they "deserve" as much as gamers do.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can't blame him. If I got inundated by messages from this "vocal minority" all day I would hate the industry too.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is what we call a strawman argument.

Actual statement: It's not entitled for someone to want a refund for a product that stopped working.

What you're arguing against: "Cliffy B should have refunded customers instead of paying his employees."

These are not the same thing and it's disingenuous to pretend they are.

Why are they not the same thing? Like, I literally asked, where would the money come from? I'm not a business owner, but I expect if you refunded players, you'd have less money to pay for employees medical expenses. Seems like basic logic?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most people purchase non-consumable items with the expectation they remain useable for a period exceeding a year and one month.

If you want to argue he made the right decision in his priorities, that's one thing. And I would agree with it.

Arguing that it is entitled for consumers to expect their product to remain more than entirely unuseable for more than a year and one month is just plainly ludicrous.

I think it's extremely entitled for a consumer to expect a refund after one year and one month of a fully playable game. There's nothing ludicrous about that. The game wasn't broken, they had to shut servers down.

What's the cut off then? 1 year and 1 month is bad, is 1 year and 2 months okay?

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like some of his ex employees don't seem too happy and are calling bullshit on his statements about pay after they closed:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See you at dawn, my dear Friend.

In all honesty I wish him and all involved the best of luck, and time off to rest. I'd like to see him back, hopefully working with a focused staff as a director, not having to worry about business, just the games. Would be good if MS picked him up, but not sure if bridges were burned??

lt519

Oct 25, 2017

The only time a non-consumable consumer product is refunded for not working is if there is a warranty. I don't see any warranty on the game lasting X amount of time. So no, they actually aren't entitled to it. It's a raw deal to buyers, but "buyer beware."

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like some of his ex employees don't seem too happy and are calling bullshit on his statements about pay after they closed:

that's one employee you listed and severance isn't the same thing as 401k and health benefits. 3 weeks severance for 2 years employment is actually average by north american standards, and good for a bankrupt company.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't blame him. If I was a developer, I would be fired or go out of it in a few days because as a fan I already lose my head with what I see in the internet with how people talk about.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How did Cliffy make all that money? Did he cash out his equity when he left Epic?

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Do you paid for what?

#gamerthoughts

You could put this post on those weird "we live in a society post" meme and it'd come across as satire.
Games die. That's not a scam.