• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Such a game would be the first legacy Unreal game on the EGS that isn't the abandoned UT community driven reboot.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Just make sure it runs on my Cyrix 686 this time round. "InitEngine" error gave me a headache...

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal 1, UT2004, and Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2 are games that absolutely need to be made accessible to modern audiences. I'd be down for any of them, and I'm really glad Cliff is trying to make Unreal happen.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
I'd love a remake of UT1999 GotY edition. Would be amazing. That and it'd be easy for them to do (with the option of being able to have the community, or themselves, add new maps)... man... if only.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
market hasn't been kind to arena shooters. it was probably a good idea to not continue the Unreal Tournament reboot

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This might be the only way Epic's promise fulfilled: A Nintendo port of Unreal. I've been waiting for a Nintendo port of the game since the announcement in 1997...

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
It's just stupid I think. There's no way you could play Quake and then be incredulous that that's a real screenshot from a similar game. This is from Quake. It's not as many polys for sure, but it's just not that far off.
Quake would likely not have looked like that at the time though. Most people would probably have played it at like 1/2 the resolution, you likely wouldn't have seen something so sharp before.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, that UT reboot is kinda close and people are playing it. I just wish Epic would've put some finishing touches on it.
Maybe one day...

Man, when UT 2014 came out with this first map, I thought "wow, UT is back!"
If they actually finished it with all maps having this level of detail... I'd probably still be playing it.

maxresdefault.jpg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
the market in general hasn't been kind to arena shooters. I doubt UT would have faired better

While true, Epic's handling of the situation flat-out sucked. It "greenlit" a new UT only to put all the onus on the community. As you say, arena shooters have devolved to a niche genre, but "Here's a skeleton of a new UT game; if you truly want it, you will build it" was an idea doomed to fail, as it showed a distinct lack of internal interest.

But, hey, at least Quake Champions exists. It's actually a great arena shooter (with the "champions" aspect adding an interesting layer of strategy, and I say this as someone who lived and breathed Quake 3 back in the day), and despite being on life support in terms of new content, Bethesda still sponsors the Quake Pro League and is even, for the first time ever (AFAIK), covering flight costs for finalists.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I will forever hate Epic for how they treated UT4. It never stood a chance

Quoting myself from another UT thread:

It [the UT4 reboot] was a slap in the face after the huge misstep that was UT3. I remember how half-baked UT3 was at launch, and the disc in the drive was labeled something like RC (Release Candidate) 7 or something. Performance was questionable and load times were awful because the main menu loaded a full 3D map in the background. They did try to patch it up to decent standards over time, and then tried a soft relaunch via UT3 Black Edition, but that was mostly gimmicky game types and a Steam release more than anything else. Gears of War PC was also a late barebones GFWL port, which didn't help Epic's reputation among PC gamers.

Honestly EGS aside - and it's obviously still a polarizing initiative - the last time Epic did something legitimately good for PC gamers was UT2K4 Editor's Choice Edition with a bunch of free content bundled with the game. And that was over 15 years ago.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While true, Epic's handling of the situation flat-out sucked. It "greenlit" a new UT only to put all the onus on the community. As you say, arena shooters have devolved to a niche genre, but "Here's a skeleton of a new UT game; if you truly want it, you will build it" was an idea doomed to fail, as it showed a distinct lack of internal interest.

And the other problem is that Epic gave next to no direction as to what they wanted. The community made a decent amount of content, but Epic used absolutely none of it. They didn't show any concept art for models they weren't working on already, and they didn't have any sort of design document to guide people.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Can I get Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 remastered instead pls? I'll even take an HD release for all consoles.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
if we're making requests for retro FPSes, Edward850 what are our chances of a Giants Citizen Kabuto NightDive port? I would pay all the monies

Truly one of the great and almost entirely forgotten games of its era.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, have Digital Extremes involved. They are the other half of what made Unreal great and I'd trust current DE more than Epic to "get it".

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Just thought he kinda moved on. I think it is cool that he's still showing involvement. I have no beef with CliffyB.
He sometimes say on twitter that he misses game development but that it has become too stressful and toxic for him. People are still sending him shit about Lawbreakers every single day.
He's having success producing Broadway musicals now, of all things, and he's also producing an animated movie that looks promising. He also just released a memoir so yeah he keeps busy :p

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
It's all about Facing Worlds CTF. Let's go.

I see some folks talking about Unreal vs. Quake higher in the thread... in addition to the points made earlier, the lighting and FX possible in Unreal was crazy leaps beyond anything else at the time.