Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you give a very brief explanation as to how these super rich companies have a ton of debt, and why they dont just pay it off?

I associate debt with failure or being poor, so this is confusing to me.

Well, first off that's a horrible way to view debt.

People own houses and pay mortgages, they have hundreds of thousands in "debt". People can get degrees which put them in the mid to high five figure range of student debt, but can get into fields that will greatly increase their life time earnings vs. not going to college.

There are lots of good debts, just like there are bad debts. Even having money on a credit card is considered debt. As long as you pay it off during your monthly statement, it's good debt as it doesn't cost you anything extra, likely lands you rewards and increases your overall credit score to get better deals for higher cost loans like one for a house or car.

I'm up 240% and looking forward to my first time trading during a recession.

Come trade crypto, where you get to trade after a complete market collapse!

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are conflating the last recession with all recessions... that one was really, really bad. The next shouldn't be anywhere near the same.
Needs to be said again. The last recession was historically bad, rivaling the Great Depression. Recessions are part of the economic cycle, clearly they're not good but unlimited growth is a myth

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These types of stories really make you think about how Trump is going to handle a recession:

Trump Nominates Famous Idiot Stephen Moore to Federal Reserve Board

Moore's beliefs on monetary policy — it might be more accurate to describe them as "impulses" — tend to default to partisanship. During the Obama presidency, he warned that runaway government spending would produce hyperinflation. In 2009, he appeared on Glenn Beck's program to wax hysteric. "We've seen this happened to Mexico, Bolivia, Argentina, Zimbabwe, Russia, all consumed by government, all do-gooders — some of that led to the decline of their civilizations," he said, describing the scenario in lurid detail:

BECK: So, do we have hyperinflation with this scenario?​
MOORE: Could be. I mean, that's happened — in some countries, hyperinflation gets so bad, Glenn, that people have to go to the shopping stores literally with wheelbarrows full of their currency. In some countries, that people don't even use the currency. In other countries, they print the currency but they don't put the denomination on it because they write it down on the piece of paper.​
BECK: Okay.​
MOORE: And the currency becomes as valueless as the paper that it is printed on.​
MOORE: And why do people buy gold?​
(CROSSTALK)​
MOORE: Because they don't think money is worth anything anymore.​
GERALD CELENTE: Not worth the paper it's printed.​
MOORE: Right. They don't think it's worth anything.​
In 2010, Moore was still predicting hyperinflation and urging his audience to buy gold. Even by 2015, Moore was still urging the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates. "We've had seven years of zero interest rates and the lousiest recovery in 75 years," he said, "So that's one reason a lot of us feel like it's time to get off the zero interest rate policy."
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/stephen-moore-federal-reserve-trump.html
the article is worth reading. but the gist is that this guy is a complete buffoon and completely unqualified to have a hand in directing monetary policy.

and from CNBC:

Reports had circulated in late-January that Trump was considering businessman and former presidential candidate Hermain Cain for a Fed governorship.
lol

Last edited:

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Can you give a very brief explanation as to how these super rich companies have a ton of debt, and why they dont just pay it off?

Part of it is that some companies, especially those controlled by private equity, are essentially are loading up on debt today, often to make purchases of competitors, in hopes that by creating a oligopoly or near-monopoly, profits will rise and they can use those future greater profits to pay down the interest on their debt.

In the start-up world, a lot of it is just capital churn for companies like Uber and Tesla with the end result being "Hey, we need to spend money now to make a shit ton of money later." That's true of most businesses (capital costs at the start are often the biggest hurdle to overcome), but its also why most businesses fail without a clear path forward.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If how much money you make is predicated on how much money you spend, leveraging debt can make you more money.

Window

Oct 27, 2017

Even most small (sole trader) successful companies have debt. Business loans are a thing and are a great way to finance business purchases or setup new businesses. In investment in general, leveraging allows you to make much larger returns than otherwise is possible. As long as a business has the ability to meet its repayment obligations without it making up too much of the profit, it's not a bad thing.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Personal/household debt is not the same as corporate debt.

When you go into debt it's to buy something you want but can't afford entirely right now.

When a corporation goes into debt it's because they think they will make more in the long run. It doesn't always work out of course.

Last edited:

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personal/household debt is not the same as corporate debt.

When you go into debt it's to buy something you want but can't afford entirely right now.

When a corporation goes into debt it's because they think they will make more in the long run. It doesn't always work out of course.
well three main sources of debt: car loans, homes, and education are assets that are either necessary to live (as in homes) or to generate more future income. hard to see either of those things associated w/ failure.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well three main sources of debt: car loans, homes, and education are assets that are either necessary to live (as in homes) or to generate more future income. hard to see either of those things associated w/ failure.

I think he means buying a McMansion or a luxury vehicle when your salary can't support those purchases.

Oct 28, 2017
These types of stories really make you think about how Trump is going to handle a recession:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/stephen-moore-federal-reserve-trump.html
the article is worth reading. but the gist is that this guy is a complete buffoon and completely unqualified to have a hand in directing monetary policy.

and from CNBC:

lol
Both he and Art Laffer were responsible with crafting tax policy in Kansas that took a 300 million dollar surplus and turned it into a 700 million dollar deficit in four short years. It resulted in education cuts that had some kids going to school only 4 days a week.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody try to time the market thinking "Oh noes, recession!". You and not another living soul on this planet knows shit about what they will be doing in the short term or over the next few years. Could be a recession coming up or could not be for awhile.
We know enough to make an estimate. Demotivate yourself at your own peril.

I'll continue holding before buying a house.

Oct 27, 2017
We know enough to make an estimate. Demotivate yourself at your own peril.

I'll continue holding before buying a house.

No, you don't. There are people that have been claiming we're on the cusp a recession for the past five years. Eventually like a broken clock they'll be right but they can't claim they called it correctly.
Additionally, you have to get two things right and the only way you do either is by sheer dumb luck. A) When to get out. B) When to get back in.
There are people out there that yanked all their money out at the bottom of the last recession and are still sitting there even today wondering when to get back in.
You're best off creating a portfolio you're comfortable with no matter what the markets are doing. This means figuring out your risk tolerance and sticking to a mix of stocks and bonds that you can live with in good times and bad.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
They never disappoint, do they
fox-news-screengrab.jpg

Yup, Republicans create recessions and Democrats clean it up.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

...due to volatility. There was on oversell late last year that caused this. Volatility due to investor panic is not a good thing, when there is volatility after economic progress, the rebounds from dips prior to a recession will always break records. Look up the wild swings in 2008 before the recession, those broke records too. Volatility + global PMI dipping below 50 means a recession is extremely likely to occur.

The trade wars are creating malinvestment and volatility. The sooner we get a correction, the better, especially considering it happening now would give Trump the boot and we'd cease trade wars.

The global PMI among advanced economies for manufacturing is below 50, that usually leads. Other areas are still positive. Bad policy overtime will peg manufacturing and drag down other sectors.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious: I'm about to sell my company stock at my job because I think we might get a recession later this year or next. After selling the stock, what's the smartest thing to do with it? I obviously want to keep what I put in, but if I think I can weather the recession without too much trouble, what is the smart move?

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It resulted in education cuts that had some kids going to school only 4 days a week.

And the 4 day school week showed to be a success for the wellbeing and success of students, the Chamber of Commerce started shitting their pants and wanted it to be illegal. Likely seeing it as a slippery slope to a 4 day work week.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with annuities tied to the S&P is doing very well.

Anyone with an annuity is getting completely fucking ripped off. I say that as someone that worked in the insurance industry for 20 years. You don't get anywhere near the return of the S&P in an indexed annuity. The clowns pitching these things talk about how they limit your downside risk, which is true. What they don't talk about is they also cap your returns. The S&P 500 could go up 20% (like it almost did in 2017) and guess what? You're capped at 7% or less. Add in the enormous fees and they're an incredibly stupid thing to put your money in.
Also, the stock market tanked going into 2019 from October until December so we're all just recovering from that.

I was curious: I'm about to sell my company stock at my job because I think we might get a recession later this year or next. After selling the stock, what's the smartest thing to do with it? I obviously want to keep what I put in, but if I think I can weather the recession without too much trouble, what is the smart move?

You should get out of your company's stock. Both your job and your investments are tied into one company which is far too dangerous - ask the people who did this at Enron and lost their jobs and every bit of money they had invested as well. It's far too dangerous to invest in individual stocks anyway. That's pure speculation, not investing.
You don't know when the next recession will be, how long it will last, or anything else. Neither do any of the braying jackasses on CNBC or any other financial news. Or anyone else for that matter.
You're best off taking the money out of the company stock and investing it in a globally diversified fund at the lowest expense you can get. Put some money in bonds if you think you'll freak out when the next recession hits and take money out, or if you're older. VTWAX charges more than my investments but it's still not bad at 0.1% and if gives you exposure to something like 7,000 publicly traded companies around the world. Leave it alone until you start taking money out in retirement.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with an annuity is getting completely fucking ripped off. I say that as someone that worked in the insurance industry for 20 years. You don't get anywhere near the return of the S&P in an indexed annuity. The clowns pitching these things talk about how they limit your downside risk, which is true. What they don't talk about is they also cap your returns. The S&P 500 could go up 20% (like it almost did in 2017) and guess what? You're capped at 7% or less. Add in the enormous fees and they're an incredibly stupid thing to put your money in.
Also, the stock market tanked going into 2019 from October until December so we're all just recovering from that.

You should get out of your company's stock. Both your job and your investments are tied into one company which is far too dangerous - ask the people who did this at Enron and lost their jobs and every bit of money they had invested as well. It's far too dangerous to invest in individual stocks anyway. That's pure speculation, not investing.
You don't know when the next recession will be, how long it will last, or anything else. Neither do any of the braying jackasses on CNBC or any other financial news. Or anyone else for that matter.
You're best off taking the money out of the company stock and investing it in a globally diversified fund at the lowest expense you can get. Put some money in bonds if you think you'll freak out when the next recession hits and take money out, or if you're older. VTWAX charges more than my investments but it's still not bad at 0.1% and if gives you exposure to something like 7,000 publicly traded companies around the world. Leave it alone until you start taking money out in retirement.
Listen to this man. He gets it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't sell it.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017

If by "weather the recession" you mean make a profit off it, that's one thing (and many people far more experienced than us will fail trying the same thing). If you mean come out the other side with all your money in tact then the smart move is to leave your money exactly where it is.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And of course I just closed on a house at the peak. I don't think housing will get hit as hard again though. Mortgage is cheap enough either way and even with a crash it will recover even if it may take 5-10 years.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of people in this thread are responding based on the title and assuming that's current. The market had a very bad day a week ago and has since mostly come back from that.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
And of course I just closed on a house at the peak. I don't think housing will get hit as hard again though. Mortgage is cheap enough either way and even with a crash it will recover even if it may take 5-10 years.

Buying a house right now also, was talking to a contractor recently and he was telling me that 2008 really did jack shit to prices in our market. It just stablized them for a year or so before they started going back up.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously there will be a recession at some point. But I feel like I've been hearing that a recession was hitting at any time now, for the last 2 years

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Obviously there will be a recession at some point. But I feel like I've been hearing that a recession was hitting at any time now, for the last 2 years

It's going to be real ugly when it hits.

Trump is not mentally sound enough to understand the mind games of a recession, he will do so much more harm than good.