• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
But that's ignoring the unintended consequences of exposure of racists teaching people to be racists. Racism is a difficult and sensitive topic to cover. Everyone being a little racist sometimes combined with the sense people have of only the most bigoted people can have racist thoughts makes everyone very defensive, and that means you need subtlety get around that defensiveness.

Leading that discussion with talk about language is especially difficult because it makes it look to only be about politeness until theres understanding of the real harm that comes from it. By starting with talk about language you're just giving people the justification for harm up front for them to use for their mental barrier when they see the real harm getting done. Language is important, but you have to know your audience is ready for it.

And sensationalist breaking news headlines and quick reactions to it is a really bad place to cover racism in general, or anything really. The raw emotion it aims for isn't useful for anything but gaining view numbers.
.. What is your point here? I'm not sure what this has to do with the point I'm making. That Trump's racist tweets are intertwined with what's happening with the concentration camps, which the poster I responded to said we should be protesting. While simultaneously arguing we should simply ignore said racist tweets. That makes no sense.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It's part of his re-election strategy.

Calling him racist isn't enough. This is not a surprise to his base and the opposition.

Calling his racism out as a cynical political strategy is more effective, apparently.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
.. What is your point here? I'm not sure what this has to do with the point I'm making. That Trump's racist tweets are intertwined with what's happening with the concentration camps, which the poster I responded to said we should be protesting. While simultaneously arguing we should simply ignore said racist tweets. That makes no sense.
I guess maybe I'm not sure which audience we're talking about here. If we're just talking about rallying the troops including ourselves, then I guess focus on the tweets is fine. But focus on the tweets when trying to convert people we need to convert is not good strategy.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I guess maybe I'm not sure which audience we're talking about here. If we're just talking about rallying the troops including ourselves, then I guess focus on the tweets is fine. But focus on the tweets when trying to convert people we need to convert is not good strategy.
Exposing his racism/bigotry and how it's directly linked to his policy and actions thus far is an effective strategy. Though it's not the only strategy dems should focus on of course. That doesn't mean you're magically going to get Trumpers or republicans though, and I was not arguing that.

I'm not sure why you're arguing that it's a bad strategy.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that is some raw, genuine emotion on display there - tough to watch without tearing up with him. And his thesis is completely valid - I have no idea if Trump's language is intentional, as always, the level of Trump's sophistication is essentially known only to Trump. But it is hugely telling.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Exposing his racism/bigotry and how it's directly linked to his policy and actions thus far is an effective strategy. Though it's not the only strategy dems should focus on of course. That doesn't mean you're magically going to get Trumpers or republicans though, and I was not arguing that.

I'm not sure why you're arguing that it's a bad strategy.

Trump is already doing a great job of exposing his racism/xenophobia/bigotry to the public himself on a daily basis.

All we have to do is let him continue to hang himself. That's one of the very reasons why he lost the House in 2018.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
"...among murderous neo-Nazis that he's still not fooling most Americans into believing he's even slightly competent in his current post. Or that he possesses a scintilla of integrity. Better to have some vermin living in your neighborhood than to be one."

Baltimore sun responds to Trump

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Ya. Whatever cnn sound bite....

But more importantly. I feel like his focus on black attacks is getting more narrow... I mean we all know we are next after the mexicans..

Jan 10, 2018
Man, that is some raw, genuine emotion on display there - tough to watch without tearing up with him. And his thesis is completely valid - I have no idea if Trump's language is intentional, as always, the level of Trump's sophistication is essentially known only to Trump. But it is hugely telling.

The President acts racist, talks racist, defends racists, supports racists and hires racists. Wondering if he knows what he is doing is very fruitless exercise.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
It like he bought "how facism works" and is just following it like its a guidebook. "Infestation", suggesting non-white people are not human. Fucking terrifying.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Could you guys imagine the absolute bricks that would have been shit had Obama talked about white rural neighborhoods in the same way?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The President acts racist, talks racist, defends racists, supports racists and hires racists. Wondering if he knows what he is doing is very fruitless exercise.

People havd been denying the realities of racism for so long that they dont know what it actually is when its brazen. Its a major problem.

Yeah I should clarify: he is a racist. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, and his self awareness (which I think is entirely in tact) is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. My bad.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that he still has an approval rating the low 40s says so much about how little so many americans care about treating their fellows with respect and fairness.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
He did that once, and they ate him alive. Remember the "They cling to their guns" speech? Still beat their asses twice though,

That statement is nowhere near the realm of what Trump said though. Not even close to the same thing and I think the fact that a few have kind of conflated the situations shows how imbalanced our politics really are.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There is no difference between acting racism vs being racists. The end result is always the same. "Acting racist" is what the majority tell themselves to feel better about letting it fester

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Just watched that video and I'm kinda speechless.

He's truly the worst. So many hurt by him. I can't. I just hate him more than I ever knew I could hate a person.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
People havd been denying the realities of racism for so long that they dont know what it actually is when its brazen. Its a major problem.
100% It's something we should have nipped in the bud centuries ago in this country but instead we've allowed it to fester. It's insane how many supposedly well meaning people aren't willing to call a bigot a bigot solely because of "intent".

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
It like he bought "how facism works" and is just following it like its a guidebook. "Infestation", suggesting non-white people are not human. Fucking terrifying.
Trump is just repeating what he's hearing on white supremacist Tucker Carlson's show. San Francisco and other immigrant/sanctuary cities are dirty, disgusting cities where disease infested people piss in the streets, etc., and the reason they're this way is because we let in too many brown people. This dehumanizing rhetoric is already completely normalized among Republicans.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump targeted the Mayor of London after a terror attack, just because of his second name, he went after 4 women of colour and said they should go back, as if they're not American due to thier race, and he's now targeting a city with majority of non-whites as an "infestation", this is the same type of language and tactics used by past tyrants to portray fellow citizens as the enemy, and thier colour and culture as being incompatible to his pure idea of his nation, its not even subtle, he's a racist and endorses it amongst his followers.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still one year to go for election man. I don't think I can take this anymore because he is going to ramp up the craziness and racism to extreme in the coming months.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I see his latest tweets aren't even trying to dog whistle, we getting full on white supremacist language

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
*opens up Twitter*

*Sees "Al Sharpton" and "Hates whites and cops" trending*

Don't really need more info to figure out that the president is online trying to get people murdered again

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya. Whatever cnn sound bite....

But more importantly. I feel like his focus on black attacks is getting more narrow... I mean we all know we are next after the mexicans..
Meh, I don't think there's any 'next'. He'll just instantaneously and ferociously attack whichever non-white skins person who 'dares' to call him out or criticize him. Like in this case he attacks Cummings and his district because of the Mueller hearing. Last year there was Puerto Rico and its Mayor, etc, etc.

Just last week he attacked four congresswomen of many heritages.

Mexicans seemed 'first' because of his fucking wall campaign objective.

This is just a very hateful racist old man who can only intake praise and compliments, anything else and you're downright scum.