• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Tom Henderson writing for eXputer: Despite previous claims that Codemasters is committed to the DiRT series going forward, sources suggest that this is no longer the case.

Job listings of Codemasters' "most ambitious and biggest" AAA game were first revealed in August 2021, hyping up racing fans about the possibilities of what the title could be.

According to sources familiar with Codemasters plans, the title is on the World Rally Championship.

In 2020, Codemasters signed an exclusive five-year deal spanning from 2023 to 2027 to develop and publish games based on the FIA World Rally Championship series (via GI.biz). Despite previous claims that Codemasters is committed to the DiRT series going forward, sources suggest that this is no longer the case.

DiRT Rally 3 was seemingly scrapped in late 2021, with the studio now focusing on F1, GRID, and the WRC going forward. In fact, hints of the change came in February 2022, with the official Twitter profile of the DiRT account being changed to @EASPORTSRally. The mode was to coincide with the announcement of Jon Armstrong's Rally3 car story but to lay the foundations of the change.
codemasters-dirt-twitter-account.jpg
The Original Dirt Game Account in 2019.

This same Twitter account was renamed EA Sports Rally. Also, the Joined July 2010 Date is the same.

EA Sports Rally.

It's unclear when the new WRC game will be announced, but the title is scheduled to release sometime in 2023. However, the development of the game could be off to a rough start with sources within Codemasters implying that the studio is currently ongoing some huge problems within its QA department.

The studio, which had around 200 individuals under QA several months ago has now been reduced to an estimated 120. According to four individuals who wish to remain anonymous, the problem lies with Codemasters leadership and EA, which has resulted in poor management of the QA department.

Concerns in Town Hall meetings are ignored, with recent contracts being unconventionally compared to other studios. In December 2021, the whole QA department had their contracts renewed until March 2022 (3 months) with the latest contract being offered to July 2022 (4 months).

The latest contract has offered QA a £600 pay increase on top of their salaried amount, plus entitlement to EA Games which usually 10 EA titles per year for free. Staff had hoped that the acquisition of the studio by EA would have resolved the issues, but nothing has yet changed, with those speaking out feeling like they are not a true part of the Electronic Arts family. As a result, QA reductions seem to be because of QA staff choosing to not renew rather than contract terminations.

It's not clear what ramifications this will have on Codemasters' future titles, but it's hoped by those still at the studio that these issues will be resolved promptly.
EA was contacted for comment but did not reply before this article went live. We'll update accordingly if a comment is provided.

Source: https://exputer.com/news/industry/codemasters-most-ambitious-game-world-rally/

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Axing the games that are not bringing money is not surprising, GRID is next.

Making sure WRC is just as good as the F1 games is a much bigger deal imho.

Having Dirt Rally and WRC...makes no sense in the first place.

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
So will WRC be "Dirt Rally 3" with a name change? I really hope so, as that is my favorite racing series. would love to seen them continue to improve on it, or just update new visuals because it's STILL so fun.

If not, big bummer. The regular Dirt games have spun off into an arcade direction, not exactly what I'm looking for.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So will WRC be "Dirt Rally 3" with a name change? I really hope so, as that is my favorite racing series. would love to seen them continue to improve on it, or just update new visuals because it's STILL so fun.

If not, big bummer. The regular Dirt games have spun off into an arcade direction, not exactly what I'm looking for.

Basically. That seemed like the natural course for them to take. No reason to cannibalise their WRC sales by also making a Dirt Rally 3.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Prioritizing GRID over Dirt seems interesting, I feel like Dirt is way more beloved. But I guess if they're going all-in on WRC, then Dirt Rally becomes kind of needless

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020

I don't think its a simple name-branding, or else, what was the point of doing that in the first place.

Axing the games that are not bringing money is not surprising, GRID is next.

Making sure WRC is just as good as the F1 games is a much bigger deal imho.

Having Dirt Rally and WRC...makes no sense in the first place.

Yeah, they better narrow these games, and make something close to Forza, not Gran Turismo /s

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If WRC is Dirt Rally 3 in all but name, that makes sense

As for the working conditions, really hope that improves

Grid is gonna die

Oct 29, 2017
The article is ambiguous, is it the Dirt series overall or just the Dirt Rally name that is in danger? Dirt and Dirt Rally are two different things.

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
Dirt Rally was scrapped, not Dirt.

Codemasters Cheshire might as well be working on Dirt 6.

Dirt Rally is superflous when you have the WRC brand now.

Yeah I totally get that, I just hope they use the underlying tech of Dirt Rally for WRC. They aren't building a whole new game right?

Take Dirt Rally bones and rebrand as WRC is what I'm hoping. I get Dirt and Dirt Rally are two different franchises. This may even help people see the difference clearly!

The other "WRC" games never really played as well for me as the Dirt Rally games. So let's hope.

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
Yeah I totally get that, I just hope they use the underlying tech of Dirt Rally for WRC. They aren't building a whole new game right?

Take Dirt Rally bones and rebrand as WRC is what I'm hoping. I get Dirt and Dirt Rally are two different franchises. This may even help people see the difference clearly!

The other "WRC" games never really played as well for me as the Dirt Rally games. So let's hope.
I think they are changing from Ego to Unreal, may be a good thing as ego has trouble with longer stages.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, it'll still be Dirt Rally but with the WRC license and structure, probably.

Just please keep trying with regular DiRT. 5 was a bit of a miss, but 2 is still my favorite racing game ever and I'm hoping they hit that high again in the future,

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
DiRT 2 is a much better game than Dirt4 & Dirt 5,
Race Driver Grid (2008) is a better GRiD game than the following releases combined.

Going forward there should be NFS, WRC and F1 for EA's racing department. Stop milking Dirt and Grid names with mediocre releases that don't sell well..

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
Oh man... I do really hope that the move to WRC is moreso a move in branding to help facilitate the development more than a change of style. Dirt Rally 2 is legit one of my favorite racing games, bar none, and it'd be a total shame if it got left behind completely and the WRC games lean more towards the more arcade style the mainline Dirt games have gone.

EDIT: reading more of those highlights, it seems like since EA bought them they haven't done much but minimize the team. when EA is involved staying hopeful is usually out the window, but i hope Codemasters doesn't end up in the EA graveyard

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of folks will be disappointed if the quality of the simulation drops from DR2.0.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
GRID Legends was fun but sold terribly. I don't know how long that franchise lasts.
F1 and WRC seems to be what Codemasters will focus on and I can see the GRID team just helping out on NFS moving forward, especially if NFS just goes the forza horizon route (simcade/openworld/live service with daily, weekly and seasonal challenges).

3 racing franchises is enough from 1 publisher.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
GRID Legends was fun but sold terribly. I don't know how long that franchise lasts.
F1 and WRC seems to be what Codemasters will focus on and I can see the GRID team just helping out on NFS moving forward, especially if NFS just goes the forza horizon route (simcade/openworld/live service with daily, weekly and seasonal challenges).

3 racing franchises is enough from 1 publisher.
I wonder what they do with Slightly Mad Studios. Do they continue Project Cars or turn that into NFS Shift 3/Grid Autosport?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone that has followed this since they bought the license understood that Dirt Rally 3 would just be WRC 2023. It's the obvious and really the only path.

Why would you have two sim oriented rally franchises at the same time?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what they do with Slightly Mad Studios. Do they continue Project Cars or turn that into NFS Shift 3/Grid Autosport?
O yea, I forgot about SMD. Actually, I think they end up with 4 racing franchises when its all said and done. What they are called is irrelevant.

1. Formula 1 due to license
2. WRC rally due to license
3. A sim based track racer to compete against forza and gt (Project Cars, Grid Autosport or a new IP entirely)
4. A Forza horizon/midnight club clone (I'm guessing this is what NFS evolves too)

More than 4 racers from one publisher is overkill. I mean, 4 is already overkill.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With all those racing devs, EA should really diversify its portfolio.

Simulation:

Codemasters to WRC, F1, and TOCA - Sims

Arcade:

Criterion to make a Dirt game like Colin Mc Rae/Flatout.

Slightly Mad should make GRID like NFS shift.

Evolution should make the next NFS like a sequel of 2015 but with good handling.

Ghost Games could become a port studio and start working on remasters of old EA racing games (Most Wanted, Underground, Porsche Unleashed, Nascar Rumble, Shox, Beetle Racing Adventure, etc.)

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
Anyone that has followed this since they bought the license understood that Dirt Rally 3 would just be WRC 2023. It's the obvious and really the only path.

Why would you have two sim oriented rally franchises at the same time?
But Dirt rally 3 was 2 years in the making when they got WRC., and looks like the WRC games is on another engine.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
As long as it has the physics and controls of Dirt Rally 2.0 or better. I won't settle for less. I don't really care about the rest, I know Codemasters will slowly die within EA anyways.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Oh that explains the EA Rally account. I saw I was following it and had zero recollection of ever doing so.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Dirt 5 was not very good, WRC is pretty solid. I like the Dirt Rally games the best but not sure what sells the most.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Holy shit I'd love a Codemasters WRC game!

I thought that license was stuck with Big Ben/ Nacon or whoever.

very excited for a well polished WRC game like back in the PS2 days: Just looked up WRC 2 on PS2 and found out it was Evolution Studios, no wonder it was so well polished.

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Holy shit I'd love a Codemasters WRC game!

I thought that license was stuck with Big Ben/ Nacon or whoever.

very excited for a well polished WRC game like back in the PS2 days: Just looked up WRC 2 on PS2 and found out it was Evolution Studios, no wonder it was so well polished.
I'm the opposite, I'd love the Dirt thingy to continue!

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Hopefully this just means that they are intending for the WRC game to take the direct role of Dirt Rally by being a hardcore rally sim. A reskin but with the official licence.

If not then I will be done with the publisher for a while as I just don't like their other racers.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Dirt Rally 3 scrapped? A betrayal of Greek mythological proportions. Fucking hell.

Oct 27, 2017
So Kylotonn out of the WRC series?

We've known they'd be losing the WRC license from 2023 for a few years.

We don't yet know what they'll be doing instead, but I really like their WRC games and the steps forward they've taken with their rally handling etc. I wonder if they'll fill the "unbranded rally game" slot no longer filled by Dirt Rally.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
We've known they'd be losing the WRC license from 2023 for a few years.

We don't yet know what they'll be doing instead, but I really like their WRC games and the steps forward they've taken with their rally handling etc. I wonder if they'll fill the "unbranded rally game" slot no longer filled by Dirt Rally.
Aren't they doing the new Test Drive Unlimited game?

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
I'm kinda consfused of what every rally game is.
Which is the simulation and which is the arcade/sim-cade?
I loved driveclub and would love to get a similar sim-cade racer, but i don't know which is which...

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm kinda consfused of what every rally game is.
Which is the simulation and which is the arcade/sim-cade?
I loved driveclub and would love to get a similar sim-cade racer, but i don't know which is which...

rally is generally loose surface. Driveclub was all tarmac, its not a rally game.

sim/simcade/arcade is a measure of realism. Dirt 5 is pretty arcadey, its similiar to Sega rally. Dirt Rally 1/2 are pretty hardcore sims. I'd say that WRC 9-10 are sim too, though some would probably call those "simcade"

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
PushSquare "That makes sense, as Codemasters scooped the WRC license in 2020, with its first effort due in 2023. Considering how successful the F1 franchise has become over the years, it's not hard to envisage WRC plotting a similar path – especially now it's under the EA Sports umbrella."
Dirt Rally 3 scrapped? A betrayal of Greek mythological proportions. Fucking hell.
That's my concern as well, Dirt was the fucking best, this is what I hate about EA, setting new rules everywhere

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
For some of your you

VGC "Following the acquisition, EA CEO Andrew Wilson told MCV he wanted the UK-based racing game developer to retain its unique identity.

Similar to Respawn, our orientation isn't to come in and take over Codemasters; our orientation isn't to come in and turn Codemasters into another Electronic Arts studio; our orientation is around the provision of opportunity," Wilson claimed.

This industry is all about amazing, creative talent. And we see little upside in the indoctrination of that amazing creative talent. But we do want to provide them access to the things that we get by virtue of our position in the industry."

In an apparently long-planned move, CEO Frank Sagnier and CFO Rashid Varachia departed the F1 and Dirt publisher this summer. Both Codemasters and its Slightly Mad studio (Project Cars) joined the EA Sports umbrella."

Jokes on EA.

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
Can't wait for a proper WRC game with the official license and graphics and handling of Dirt Rally.
I love the current WRC games but this combined with the Dirt Rally graphics.. Chef's Kiss.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense? Why create a Dirt Rally 3.0 when you got the WRC license next year? Dirt Rally 3.0 will basically be WRC in 2023 anyway? If they nail this, they got two great franchises with F1 and WRC going on. I guess we'll still get an Arcade Dirt and/or Grid at times, if they do well enough for EA. I must admit that I didn't like Dirt 5 very much, Grid Legends was ok, but not much more than that in my opinion.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, a game like Dirt Rally that is backed by licences sounds like a dream come true. On the other hand, I always feel like Codemasters' worst racing games have come from a desire to appeal to too wide of a player base. If EA's desire is to create a rally game that can satisfy both fans of Dirt Rally and Dirt in one, I'm sure they will fail.

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Think for one second, what's the point in having Dirt Rally 3 when they have the WRC license?

Dirt =/= Dirt Rally.
In that case, I'm assuming they are mixing both games, as if you were to blend FIFA and PES? Dirt in my opinion were always superior games, advanced physics, graphics, and overall most polished. But I do see the benefit of having a WRC License.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't see the space in the market for a separate Dirt Rally when they have the WRC license. If it's a WRC branded sim from the Dirt Rally team then that change doesn't immediately ring any alarm bells.