• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I mean, isn't Dirt (not the arcade ones) really just a WRC game without the license?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In that case, I'm assuming they are mixing both games, as if you were to blend FIFA and PES? Dirt in my opinion were always superior games, advanced physics, graphics, and overall most polished. But I do see the benefit of having a WRC License.
They're not mixing both games, they did one sim rally game called Dirt Rally, they did an arcade rally game called Dirt and a whole different company did WRC sim oriented licensed games.

Now Codemasters will do sim oriented WRC licensed games based on Dirt Rally, and arcade rally games with Dirt.

Oct 27, 2017
F1 games are good. And getting better every time despite some issues that have never been solved until now atleast.

But F1's success was just due to games being made under lisence, F1 as whole with huge marketing push since media take over and NetFelix dts is getting popular at a fast rate.

Im not sure WRC is getting that push and whatsoever

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
F1 games are good. And getting better every time despite some issues that have never been solved until now atleast.

But F1's success was just due to games being made under lisence, F1 as whole with huge marketing push since media take over and NetFelix dts is getting popular at a fast rate.

Im not sure WRC is getting that push and whatsoever
I honestly think EA will do good things with the license, aside from the quality of the games (which I'm sure will be really good if Codemasters keep the good work they've been doing for years with them).

Rally games, if marketed well, can be highly successful IMO. They catch the eye, they're very "action-oriented" in comparison to a normal racing game, and if done correctly can attract a lot of people that don't know the discipline that much. Early Codies with the Colin McRae / Dirt games knew this, they were really successful games.

EA has that brand power and marketing money that can elevate the WRC license and rally games to a higher step IMO.

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
On the one hand, a game like Dirt Rally that is backed by licences sounds like a dream come true. On the other hand, I always feel like Codemasters' worst racing games have come from a desire to appeal to too wide of a player base. If EA's desire is to create a rally game that can satisfy both fans of Dirt Rally and Dirt in one, I'm sure they will fail.
They tried with Dirt 4, and Dirt Rally fans did not like it. I did not try it because of no VR support

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think EA will do good things with the license, aside from the quality of the games (which I'm sure will be really good if Codemasters keep the good work they've been doing for years with them).

Rally games, if marketed well, can be highly successful IMO. They catch the eye, they're very "action-oriented" in comparison to a normal racing game, and if done correctly can attract a lot of people that don't know the discipline that much. Early Codies with the Colin McRae / Dirt games knew this, they were really successful games.

EA has that brand power and marketing money that can elevate the WRC license and rally games to a higher step IMO.

Yes Dirt team has been always good and EA despite the company is hated by us due to choices they made, is a good place for developers. So Codemasters is in a good place.

What I say is, because F1 has been successful does not mean WRC is also fixed to reach that level. Because F1's commercial success is external mostly. The huge amount of effort went into the sport for it to become much more popular. WRC as much as quality I think will be good, again I dont think will reach the F1 commercial success.

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020

I think you are absolutely right on the EA Marketing aspect, they do job well done. On the popularity - yes, I've seen so many players get amazed by the Dirt videos that show game being played by pros on Tiktok etc, attracting consumers on this hidden gem.
like this one here

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
It makes sense, and now that they have the official licensing having Dirt Rally doesn't make sense. I hope GRID does well though, I love those games but they don't sell a lot :(

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GRID isn't going anywhere. Stop hating. It's the best racing game to come out in the last year, topping even the mighty GT7 in my book. I like all three Codies franchises but for me, GRID series>F1 series>Dirt series.. Hope the next GRID is gonna have even more arcadey physics and hopefully VR support!
It's not about hating, I just don't see much of a future for grid. With F1 on one side and NFS on the other side, there's a very narrow line for it to straddle. The fact you want it to be more arcadey, might as well kill it now and make the team assist with Need for Speed

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
How realistic are F1 games? It seems like F1 and rally games are both in a similar place; Too hardcore to appeal to the masses but fans that don't want them dumbed down. If F1 is pretty realistic maybe ea will keep wrc to appeal to the fans and dirt to appeal to the masses.

Hopefully they can use much of the progress they made for dirt rally 3 and stamp real courses on for wrc branding.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How realistic are F1 games? It seems like F1 and rally games are both in a similar place; Too hardcore to appeal to the masses but fans that don't want them dumbed down. If F1 is pretty realistic maybe ea will keep wrc to appeal to the fans and dirt to appeal to the masses.

Hopefully they can use much of the progress they made for dirt rally 3 and stamp real courses on for wrc branding.
F1 games are pretty realistic, not full iRacing/Automobilista sim hardcore, but very sim oriented. They're also very adaptable, you can make it as arcade or sim as you want, to a very detailed level of details you can change.

Also, no F1 games have been developed and released under EA, F1 2021 which is the last one was pretty much done when they got bought by EA.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not shocked by this. Dirt Rally is still popular, and I imagine Codemasters wants WRC to be seen in the same positive annual release light that F1 is. It'd be weird EA having the best yearly sports games under its belt with this move, though.

Of course, one has to worry if this is an annual release that they'll Dirt Rally 2.0 the thing, where they sell the previous game in the new game as some lazy ass season pass shit. I imagine for the current WRC developers they'll use the V Rally brand to continue rally games.

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
But does the market need one?
It's rational. They make 4-5 different games, which are all similar and based on same genre. The development cost, conflict of interests, teams, and marketing is all very hard. If they stick to 1 or two games like Forza, which serves the same purpose, it's better for both consumer and EA.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, just watched a video the otherday, found on the codemasters "dirty gossip thread, that claimed DR3.0 is done and just waiting to be announced with a quick release likely in April. The rumor went on to say that then they'd transition to WRC, with an expected launch of 2024, which doesn't seem like much time - and frankly giving the WRC game a big push makes more sense.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty clear EA has issues with QA management based on how Battlefield turned out.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Cannot wait. They'll do WRC justice using DR assets. I've been wanting a DR/WRC game for a long time, I'm glad they got the license.
I'm also in the camp that prefers DR to Kylotonn's WRC. They did a hell of a job with it though, what a huge turnaround from 5 to 10.

And I love RIMS, it's got a much more immersive helmet cam than Milestone's. I'm excited for Test Drive as well.

I do wonder what direction SMS will go. pCARS3 was a really nice surprise handling wise, but I know if ruffled a lot of feathers design and turning towards more mass appeal. Ian has stated the next game will be the greatest sim ever, but he says that leading up to every game. I wouldn't be surprised if they lean back into to that more casual nature and go back an EA NFS Shift type.

Pretty clear EA has issues with QA management based on how Battlefield turned out.
Codies' games are always polished. Especially Dirt Rally. I wouldn't worry.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
As long as WRC keep the simulation focus of Dirt Rally then this is OK. If WRC is more like Dirt and they are just killing Dirt Rally then fuck EA.

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Huh, just watched a video the otherday, found on the codemasters "dirty gossip thread, that claimed DR3.0 is done and just waiting to be announced with a quick release likely in April. The rumor went on to say that then they'd transition to WRC, with an expected launch of 2024, which doesn't seem like much time - and frankly giving the WRC game a big push makes more sense.
I read that thread too, for those who don't know: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/178-dirty-gossip/page/1661/?tab=comments#comment-586767
It's evident they were waiting for the license, and move away.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Cannot wait. They'll do WRC justice using DR assets. I've been wanting a DR/WRC game for a long time, I'm glad they got the license.
I'm also in the camp that prefers DR to Kylotonn's WRC. They did a hell of a job with it though, what a huge turnaround from 5 to 10.

And I love RIMS, it's got a much more immersive helmet cam than Milestone's. I'm excited for Test Drive as well.

I do wonder what direction SMS will go. pCARS3 was a really nice surprise handling wise, but I know if ruffled a lot of feathers design and turning towards more mass appeal. Ian has stated the next game will be the greatest sim ever, but he says that leading up to every game. I wouldn't be surprised if they lean back into to that more casual nature and go back an EA NFS Shift type.

Codies' games are always polished. Especially Dirt Rally. I wouldn't worry.
Except EA cut their QA in half now.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Any source on the switch to unreal I've seen posted? I've missed that.

Hugely anticipating their next release - I hope they build upon their own strengths (obviously!), but also look to what Kylotonn did right (best stages in a rally game ever, bar none!).

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
As long as WRC keep the simulation focus of Dirt Rally then this is OK. If WRC is more like Dirt and they are just killing Dirt Rally then fuck EA.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I'm hoping the WRC title is more in line with Dirt Rally, but I could see them leaning more towards an arcade style like the mainline Dirt games and that worries me. The rebranding to EA Sports Rally only worries more, tbh, because I could easily see them trying to make it more accessible because currently Rally doesn't have the cultural momentum something like F1 does. They could afford to keep the F1 games simulator focused, but maybe couldn't make that same stretch on something Rally focused.

But yeah, I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best!! I really hope EA doesn't kill one of my favorite current game series, but it wouldn't be the first time... or the second time... or the third time...

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
F1 games are pretty realistic, not full iRacing/Automobilista sim hardcore, but very sim oriented. They're also very adaptable, you can make it as arcade or sim as you want, to a very detailed level of details you can change.

Also, no F1 games have been developed and released under EA, F1 2021 which is the last one was pretty much done when they got bought by EA.

Thats good to hear. If F1 is a sim and makes money, hopefully EA will keep WRC a sim instead of trying to dumb it down....Maybe the sales of dirt rally vs dirt would be a better indication of where EA will take it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anything of that. the closest is an outsourced cinematic that was made with unreal

www.unrealengine.com

REALTIME delivers cinematics in record time on Codemasters’ new F1 2021 game

With the finish line just weeks away, real-time technology came to the rescue and enabled REALTIME to deliver two and a half hours of additional cinematic cutscenes in record time on Codemasters’ new F1 2021 game.

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Thats good to hear. If F1 is a sim and makes money, hopefully EA will keep WRC a sim instead of trying to dumb it down....Maybe the sales of dirt rally vs dirt would be a better indication of where EA will take it.
The mix interest is probably something EA does not like, they would keep it simple with 1-3 games max.

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019

Hugely anticipating their next release - I hope they build upon their own strengths (obviously!), but also look to what Kylotonn did right (best stages in a rally game ever, bar none!).
Its from there job listings

Also Ego engine has problem with long stages

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is where I'm at. I'm hoping the WRC title is more in line with Dirt Rally, but I could see them leaning more towards an arcade style like the mainline Dirt games and that worries me. The rebranding to EA Sports Rally only worries more, tbh, because I could easily see them trying to make it more accessible because currently Rally doesn't have the cultural momentum something like F1 does. They could afford to keep the F1 games simulator focused, but maybe couldn't make that same stretch on something Rally focused.

But yeah, I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best!! I really hope EA doesn't kill one of my favorite current game series, but it wouldn't be the first time... or the second time... or the third time...

The thing is, EA is in the money making business. I don't see how a super technical simulator will bring the kinda of money EA expects. Especially now that it will have a big brand attached to it. Honestly I have little hope that we will get the Dirt Rally 3.0 we want.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Its from there job listings

Also Ego engine has problem with long stages

Oh right, the video I referenced earlier 😆

I have a hard time believing DR3.0 was sraped in late 2021 only for them just to be beginning the WRC title (which should be mid to late 2023?). I could see them shifting what was to be DR3.0 to WRC along the way though. We'll see. Look forward to a reveal when its ready - which I suppose may not be able to happen until the current WRC license ends?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The thing is, EA is in the money making business. I don't see how a super technical simulator will bring the kinda of money EA expects. Especially now that it will have a big brand attached to it. Honestly I have little hope that we will get the Dirt Rally 3.0 we want.
If they make it more arcade it will have the same fate Project Cars 3 did. It's not like Dirt 5 was much more popular than the Dirt Rally games.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing they could do is try to stradle the line, ala dirt 4 🤢

I'm feeling confident it will be an evolution of what they were previously doing with the Dirt Rally series

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, theoretically, wouldn't they just build on what they have in Dirt Rally 2, and rebrand it with official licensing?

So really it is Dirt Rally, but also WRC?

I also wonder what this means for Kylotonn. Do they continue developing rally games without the license going forward?

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022

If they make it more arcade it will have the same fate Project Cars 3 did. It's not like Dirt 5 was much more popular than the Dirt Rally games.

These are the two trains of thought I'm bouncing between about this. Making it more arcade would make it more accessible, but risk losing the core demo in search of some possible audience that doesn't care. But you'd think they would know that risk and keep it as it is to continue getting money from the hardcore fans the series has, as those are guaranteed sales. I could see it going either way!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
DiRT is barely rally. It has different surface types and similar cars, but thats about all that series has in common with the sport of rally. DiRT is gymkhana, its rally-cross, its raid. It's become a catch all for (pardon the expression) "extreme racing". DiRT co-existed with the more rally focused Dirt Rally series, I don't see why it couldn't co-exist with an even more focused WRC entry.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
These are the two trains of thought I'm bouncing between about this. Making it more arcade would make it more accessible, but risk losing the core demo in search of some possible audience that doesn't care. But you'd think they would know that risk and keep it as it is to continue getting money from the hardcore fans the series has, as those are guaranteed sales. I could see it going either way!
There is certainly a risk either way, but I'd side with keeping it more in line with Dirt Rally as I doubt many WRC fans would be expecting, or looking for, a more casual focused game. There's always the opportunity to add in assists to help those who would like to use them without compromising the game engine.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
DiRT is barely rally. It has different surface types and similar cars, but thats about all that series has in common with the sport of rally. DiRT is gymkhana, its rally-cross, its raid. It's become a catch all for (pardon the expression) "extreme racing". DiRT co-existed with the more rally focused Dirt Rally series, I don't see why it couldn't co-exist with an even more focused WRC entry.

Yeah, Dirt series directly evolved alonside Colin McRae involvement in other racing events other than WRC, like Dakar and X-Games.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Fuck EA for scrapping Dirt Rally 3

This was one of my most anticipated titles, whether or not it was officially announced. I had imagined how much further Codemasters could have gone with a rally simulator using the powerful CPUs of current consoles as a base. The original Dirt Rally was incredible, even on a base PS4. Dirt Rally 2.0 was on still last gen, and now we will maybe never see Dirt Rally 3 using a new engine on next-gen (current gen) hardware.

Fuck EA, I knew things would suck once EA bought Codemasters. I wished Sony or even MS had acquired them. EA is the worst. Damn it I am mad about this. Fuck,

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck EA for scrapping Dirt Rally 3

This was one of my most anticipated titles, whether or not it was officially announced. I had imagined how much further Codemasters could have gone with a rally simulator using the powerful CPUs of current consoles as a base. The original Dirt Rally was incredible, even on a base PS4. Dirt Rally 2.0 was on still last gen, and now we will maybe never see Dirt Rally 3 using a new engine on next-gen (current gen) hardware.

Fuck EA, I knew things would suck once EA bought Codemasters. I wished Sony or even MS had acquired them. EA is the worst. Damn it I am mad about this. Fuck,

Take a breath, WRC next year. Whew.

Dirt Rally 1 and 2 have the GOAT core racecraft rally, to my tastes. However the series shouldn't have been split between an increasingly mediocre arcade Dirt and the sim side. The sim side was obviously starved for budget with bare bones presentation, while they improbably pushed all the glitz onto the arcade games which aren't as good for, you know, racing.

I WOULD like to see a WRC game that plays like Dirt Rally and has the sim sports framework of WRC / F1. Just kill arcade Dirt.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
As long as WRC borrows the feel of Dirt 2.0, I think I prefer this move. I wasn't very impressed by WRC 9, so I'm waiting for WRC 10 to go on an even deeper sale before I buy it. For me, Dirt 2.0 did for rally games what GRID 2008 did for racing games in general in that Dirt 2.0 just conveyed the danger involved in rally so well. Admittedly, I'm not amazing at racing games, but every turn in Dirt 2.0 and GRID 2008 just felt like it could completely change the outcome of the race.

Also, this video is amazing.