Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Question from a French guy : What is preventing other companies to provide Internet where Comcast is the only choice ?

Its a mix of factors including the expense of providing new broadband infrastructure for places its really expensive and their are literal laws preventing competition in some markets that were lobbied for by verizon, comcast, and AT&T like ones from this article https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...-won-limits-on-public-broadband-in-20-states/. That doesn't even include ISP's colluding together to stay out of certain markets so they are the only providers in the area.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
I know those fuckers already have different packages planned out and ready to go. They just don't wanna be too obvious, so they will wait exactly NEXT BILLING CYCLE then start charging us more.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I hope is that living at a place that has two options and in a city which as four providers will force them not to do this stuff here (doesn't comcast not have data caps in some locations?)

Oct 27, 2017
You're marginalizing his impact simply because he has a difference of opinion that doesn't fit your narrative. Not everybody is pro NN, and people need to get comfortable with the idea that opposing views have good arguments and those people should be respected and not insulted.

I quoted the article from the link you provided. Sorry your link didn't support your narrative. lmao

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
People opposed to NN keep saying it'll make the internet faster. Can anyone explain that? I'm not seeing it.

They believe in the free market, except we're not in a free and open market, as evidence by Comcast suing municipalities that want to provide local broadband. They're totally happy to carve up the country into sectors and charge an arm and a leg for it.

Now, if we were in a completely free and open market, I'd agree. This could lead to cheaper and faster internet for most people, but we're not and it won't. I'll be glad to eat a hat if this happens but I just can't see it happening.

Nov 2, 2017
Feels like a Directv commercial of things we like for instance:
Drinking sour milk
Camping in poison ivy
Arm stuck in vending machine
Internet throttling

Oct 27, 2017
They believe in the free market, except we're not in a free and open market, as evidence by Comcast suing municipalities that want to provide local broadband. They're totally happy to carve up the country into sectors and charge an arm and a leg for it.

Now, if we were in a completely free and open market, I'd agree. This could lead to cheaper and faster internet for most people, but we're not and it won't. I'll be glad to eat a hat if this happens but I just can't see it happening.

The bolded is what so many people fail to understand. To those people: What they taught you about a free market in school doesn't apply to ISPs. I know this first hand living in TN near Nashville.

Oct 27, 2017
You followed the google fiber ordeal as well I take it?

Yeah that was disheartening. Also sad to see Chattanooga get shut down by the state. Bunch of crooks.

When I was reporting a story about EPB's network last year, Republican state Sen. Janice Bowling—who has been pushing to remove restrictions on EPB—told me that Tennessee's state legislature has repeatedly bent over backwards for large ISPs.

"What we have right now is not the free market, it's regulations protecting giant corporations, which is the exact definition of crony capitalism," she said.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...e-comcast-and-atandt-dollar45-million-instead

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is what maga looks like. It's hard to have any kind of sensible reaction given how people that enabled this to happen close off their eyes on anything they don't like the only thing that seems to matter is being against any kind of decency.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any data out there showing number of internet subscribers versus actual phone line subscribers to show why internet should be classified as a utility? Surely it's more prevalent as a communication source these days than a phone line?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
To the surprise of absolutely no one including that shill in charge of the FCC. Fuck this. I'm gping to do everything I humanly can to stay out of this broken ass country.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Sad that they're basically the only choice i have for decent internet. Next action on internet policy by the Democrats needs to be full utility-level regulation: common carriers, forced to open their lines to competitors.
This. The 2015 reclassification was the first step towards this but the Republican fucks currently in office set us back.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a delivery from Comcast.
They sent the company I work for chocolates.

I'm looking for the note that says "sorry, but also...
"...deal with it"

Oct 26, 2017
Are you sure the content isn't still on the page and it's not just loading really slow because Comcast is throttling traffic to and from their own site after the FCC ruling?

They need to pay themselves a ransom to kick that speed back into high gear.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm already throttled. 950 Mbps up and down to 300 down and 90 up after my modem restarted for mysterious reasons today. AT&T Gigapower.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Comcast is a terrible corporation and probably the worst corporation in America.

However, this particular incident is a non-issue.

The reason they removed the pledges was to reduce litigation exposure: they're no longer promises (although, their website is not a services contract with any consumer...), so if they intend to enact any practice that might possibly violate those "promises," they'll be able to.

This does not mean Comcast is getting shittier overnight.

It probably means Comcast will get shittier over time.

Oct 28, 2017
Schumer in with the 2018 campaign vote. Democrats are going to use this issue to energize youth vote. They disproportionately use the internet in relation to other age groups.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top U.S. Senate Democrat said on Friday he would force a vote on the Federal Communications Commission's decision to repeal landmark net neutrality rules, but the move was unlikely to block a ruling that could reshape the digital landscape.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...te-on-fcc-net-neutrality-repeal-idUSKBN1E92TC

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I think this is a blessing in disguise. We spend way too much time on the internet hunched over our laptops or tablets, hurting our necks and our wrists.

We need to go outside more and run in the fields with our dogs and swim in the lakes with our ducks. The slower and more expensive the internet is, the better.

Thank you Ajit Pai and Comcast for looking out for my health! Where is the heart emoji?

NorthandSouth

Nov 13, 2017
America is screwed wow. Like there's no more effective way to cut off access to valid and reliable news organizations than by restricting access to the Internet. Given the current climate where there is already a severe systemic issue in dealing with reality.... yeah. The decline is both very real and very quick.

Dec 10, 2017
what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram.0.jpg

Freedom™️

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
So my internet went out, and I called AT&T and they fixed it remotely. An update glitch froze a fiber box (not the modem) from updates they've been sending out. Gee, I wonder why you'd need to update something like that right now - typically that sort of equipment is updated less frequently than a BIOS.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
My internet was getting throttled all day today and went out apparently while I was at work. Coincidence?