• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Boy?

• Izuku Midoriya

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Katsuki Bakugo

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Shoto Todoroki

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
People say this, but a lot of Waid's run references Aaron's run. Like a ridiculous amount. Initially I agreed, but as the run went on it's more "I'm doing things a bit differently in the stuff he established" rather than "This is dumb, I'm ignoring it wholesale."
Ehhh given I don't remember Aaron's run well can you explain further?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Ascender was pretty good. Think im going to try reading Descender though before reading more. Ive seen reviews say its a good jumping on point, but im not so sure. The art looks beautiful. Think it works a lot better in a fantasy/magic setting than it does in a more sci-fi/cyberpunk one.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Ehhh given I don't remember Aaron's run well can you explain further?
Outside of the whole magic has a cost thing, it also had a lot of focus on magic being invoked from other beings. Which is something Waid's run has played with in that "Hey, Strange should start invoking from himself"

Then there's the whole leaving earth thing which is a direct result of playing on the whole everything has a cost thing and Stephen attempting to find new relics and powers elsewhere.

Ghost dog came from Cates run, but the shit talking snakes are from Aaron's run

Being magic lets you see the unseeable is also an Aaron creation

As is Dormammu's current deal.

A lot of Waid's run plays around with stuff Aaron's run established and takes it in particular ways that Aaron likely wasn't going with them, but definitely isn't throwing his stuff away.

Oct 25, 2017
Ascender was pretty good. Think im going to try reading Descender though before reading more. Ive seen reviews say its a good jumping on point, but im not so sure. The art looks beautiful. Think it works a lot better in a fantasy/magic setting than it does in a more sci-fi/cyberpunk one.

Descender is pretty great. My only real issue with it was the pacing as an ongoing series, which wouldn't be much of a problem having the complete run at your fingertips. Def worth a read

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. I bought the full collection for like $5 down from 30, so it's no big deal, but man. This is why I'm weary of Mister Miracle as good as everyone says it is and as totally relevant as the themes are to me. King is supposed to be this nuanced, mature writer, but his cognitive dissonance wrt Iraq is stunning to say the least. "He was in the CIA" has become a meme, but it's seriously hard to ignore the equivocation in his stuff. I dropped Omega Men after the 9th issue because of a plot beat like this that turned me off (though I forget what it was specifically.)

Yeah. Both of those books, my issues were his takeaways from the conflict and him essentially writing from pov's that maybe he shouldn't be writing from.

Mr. Miracle is its own thing. It is a little more personal and grounded on Mister Miracle's own history and journey. Apokolips vs New Genesis is just the backdrop and not the central theme like the other two books. My issues with that book were more with the pacing/screenplay layout - I don't think you will have the same problems with it that you did with Omega Men and Sheriff of Babylon.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Descender is pretty great. My only real issue with it was the pacing as an ongoing series, which wouldn't be much of a problem having the complete run at your fingertips. Def worth a read
I read that they switched course part of the way through the story to add magic to the world? I guess in the last issue Lemire wrote an explanation as to why he did so. I dunno. I mean I dont think its a big deal now, but I guess people werent happy with it at the time.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. I bought the full collection for like $5 down from 30, so it's no big deal, but man. This is why I'm weary of Mister Miracle as good as everyone says it is and as totally relevant as the themes are to me. King is supposed to be this nuanced, mature writer, but his cognitive dissonance wrt Iraq is stunning to say the least. "He was in the CIA" has become a meme, but it's seriously hard to ignore the equivocation in his stuff. I dropped Omega Men after the 9th issue because of a plot beat like this that turned me off (though I forget what it was specifically.)

You dropped the Omega Men at the right time then. I was a very big fan of the series right up until the end and the final issue completely turned me off of the rest of it. I'mguessing the end was supposed to refute American exceptionalism, but it very much reads like him supporting it, right down to the Omega Men not being able to govern themselves/their worlds without the guidance of Kyle as the great American savior. Sure Kyle makes his little meta speech at the end about living in the gutter between the panels, but by that point it just rang very hollow to me. The Vega system was set up as an analog for the Middle East and Kyle was King's self insert of the brave American agent going into foreign, hostile territory to save the people from themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
I read that they switched course part of the way through the story to add magic to the world? I guess in the last issue Lemire wrote an explanation as to why he did so. I dunno. I mean I dont think its a big deal now, but I guess people werent happy with it at the time.

Ehhhh, I don't know haha I didn't read any of the discourse around the series as it came out so I hadn't heard about anyone being unhappy but I didn't note any of that as being awkward or reading like a pivot. I always felt the book kind of had the feel of Lemire trying to build his own star wars or saga esque universe. From the very beginning it doesn't feel like very straight or grounded scifi.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Outside of the whole magic has a cost thing, it also had a lot of focus on magic being invoked from other beings. Which is something Waid's run has played with in that "Hey, Strange should start invoking from himself"

Then there's the whole leaving earth thing which is a direct result of playing on the whole everything has a cost thing and Stephen attempting to find new relics and powers elsewhere.

Ghost dog came from Cates run, but the shit talking snakes are from Aaron's run

Being magic lets you see the unseeable is also an Aaron creation

As is Dormammu's current deal.

A lot of Waid's run plays around with stuff Aaron's run established and takes it in particular ways that Aaron likely wasn't going with them, but definitely isn't throwing his stuff away.
Ah, it's clearer now, thanks. I'm not sure about points 1 and 4 though, they appeared in older runs as well

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
So I think the first half of HiC #8 was pretty good, probably the best part of the whole series... but the cover-up was dumb as shit like King wrote 7 issues and was like "ah crap I need to figure out how he did it" and wrote this up in 5 minutes. Just bafflingly overly-complex and ridiculous. I dunno the first half here makes it feel like there was a good story with a message at some point before something went horribly horribly wrong to get those eventbux. Just focus on the Sanctuary patients, maybe still do *that* but without the murder, could've been good.

why didnt wally at least try a d fix it, go back and try, the . framing of booster and harley is disgusting, straight up near villain tier stuff

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Heroes In Crisis completely dumps on Rebirth. That was DC moving away from stories like that and now it's back to this shit again.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ why did Scott get picked over Zdarsky's for F4? It's just a mediocre Saturday morning cartoon now.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ why did Scott get picked over Zdarsky's for F4? It's just a mediocre Saturday morning cartoon now.

YZ0CZxP.gif

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
why didnt wally at least try a d fix it, go back and try, the . framing of booster and harley is disgusting, straight up near villain tier stuff

I think a lot of people are misreading the issue (or just looking at spoilers and not reading the full issue for context)

it's so he can throw the other heroes off his trail for a few days to do whatever it is he plans to do next issue

It's still dumb but not outright villainous. Your first point is correct and im guessing King won't answer that because it would blow a hole in the whole story.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Well Avengers was something else, Coulson has a villain is an interesting way to take him after being killed by the people he idolized

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Wait, did people expect Coulson to not be a villain?

That was like the most obvious thing to see coming from like miles away.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh, I don't know haha I didn't read any of the discourse around the series as it came out so I hadn't heard about anyone being unhappy but I didn't note any of that as being awkward or reading like a pivot. I always felt the book kind of had the feel of Lemire trying to build his own star wars or saga esque universe. From the very beginning it doesn't feel like very straight or grounded scifi.
Yea I just read about it yesterday in some comments in an article for Ascender #1.

How does it rate to some of the previous FF runs? Like Fraction's stuff after Hickman?

Slott must have some sort of plan for the book. After letting Zub help out with Iron Man, I assume he wanted to focus on FF.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Thanos Wins and Cosmic Ghost Rider since they are on sale atm. Pretty good prices too.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
So I think the first half of HiC #8 was pretty good, probably the best part of the whole series... but the cover-up was dumb as shit like King wrote 7 issues and was like "ah crap I need to figure out how he did it" and wrote this up in 5 minutes. Just bafflingly overly-complex and ridiculous. I dunno the first half here makes it feel like there was a good story with a message at some point before something went horribly horribly wrong to get those eventbux. Just focus on the Sanctuary patients, maybe still do *that* but without the murder, could've been good.
IIRC, King's original intent was for a more low-key mini focusing on Sanctuary patients. It was expanded into an event book, which hurt it.

I've defended the book before and thought it meandered way too much but found some good in it. The back half of this issue though... I really wish there was some way putting the genie back in the bottle because one of my favorite things in comics is genuinely ruined.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately blown away by good this Leviathan thing is Bendis is doing in Action. The solicit for the event book grabbed my attention when I saw Manhunter on the cover so I decided to grab the issues of Action that are serving as the prologue and it's a great mix of espionage and dumb comic booky fun. And man is Epting drawing the living hell out of this run, especially this onek killersplash page in this months issue. I can't remember the last time I was actually excited for a new Bendis book.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
From what I remember, the plan was to have like 10-15 more issues of descender and just end it there, but Lemire wasn't really happy with the ending and Nguyen was getting bored of drawing so much sci-fi and robots and wanted to do some fantasy. This gave Lemire the idea of doing Ascender, and he said he's way happier with the direction of the book now. Or something like that

Wait, did people expect Coulson to not be a villain?

That was like the most obvious thing to see coming from like miles away.
I didn't expect him to go THAT far

I'm legitimately blown away by good this Leviathan thing is Bendis is doing in Action. The solicit for the event book grabbed my attention when I saw Manhunter on the cover so I decided to grab the issues of Action that are serving as the prologue and it's a great mix of espionage and dumb comic booky fun. And man is Epting drawing the living hell out of this run, especially this onek killersplash page in this months issue. I can't remember the last time I was actually excited for a new Bendis book.
The twist with Manhunter in the first few pages of the latest issue was fucking great.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's really messed up how HiC ended up doing the exact opposite of what King and DC said it would do regarding mental health.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was more forgiving to the whole thing this issue was pretty unforgivable. Unless there's a big swerve that undoes a lot of the damage next issue this is easily one of the worst events ever written, and you could probably argue that it's the actual worst.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If y'all wanna read a GOOD superhero story about dealing with grief/trauma of a lost loved one, Pls seek out "The Nearness if You" in Astro City. I know whatsinaname can vouch for this

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
why are any of you shocked? we've known this would happen for like 8 months and come on, it's an OG Titan in a modern event, you knew it weren't gunna end well.

only hope left is that single line from lex luthor in the last doomsday clock issue.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
If y'all wanna read a GOOD superhero story about dealing with grief/trauma of a lost loved one, Pls seek out "The Nearness if You" in Astro City. I know whatsinaname can vouch for this
This seems to be in a later tpb, but I'ma use this opportunity to shill Astro City. Really good comics although I personally like the first 3 or 4 books the most but it is overall a solid reading experience.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, listen to JC. That's an incredible story

Big tears were shed

I'm looking forward to the Vulture oral history about Heroes in Crisis. What was the origin of the decisions that went into making it into Identity Crisis 2, and when exactly did they shift from "nuanced empathetic look at trauma and grief" to "hyperbolic Reefer Madness level condemnation of mental illness and everyone who suffers from it". That's gotta be a great story.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

GOAT single issue. I don't know if I can deal with reading #50 next month.

E0Y4rHr.jpg

Doomsday Clock should have just been given to Busiek. One issue of Superman talking to Manhattan like The Eagle & The Mountain and done.

aQfE6Mt.png

Status
Not open for further replies.