Status
Not open for further replies.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Cebulski didn't come out and say what they would or wouldn't allow in regards to Spencer's run. Just that there were storylines that had to be "adjusted." But even just confessing that raises a lot of questions, lol. (He also confessed that Marvel isn't interested in Peter being married or starting a family.)

www.thepopverse.com

Celebrating Spider-Man's 60th Anniversary with 'Beyond Amazing' panel at C2E2 - Follow along live!

Popverse brings you up-to-date coverage of Marvel's Beyond Amazing – A Spider-Man Retrospective with C.B. Cebulski & Ryan Stegman panel live from the windy city
*sigh*

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The last good Spider-man run was written by Dan Slott

No, the last good ASM run was JMS. With the exception of Sins Past and OMD (and OMD was definitely Quesada's mess).

I hate Slott's voice for Peter. And then he was on the title for 10 years and would not leave. The Parker Industries stuff was really bad. The introduction of, and relationship with, Silk was so awful that Slott had to apologize for it. A family of interdimensional steampunk vampires was absolutely boring. And the less said about how the entire supporting cast had to be written like idiots for Superior to even happen, the better.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022
I checked out the latest issue of Slott's FF thinking it was the final issue of his run thanks to the cover. It seems... kinda okay? It's very cheesy and sappy, but kinda in a good way. Is the rest of his run like this?

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
If it makes you feel any better, it sounds like the people in the room weren't happy either.
It does actually
The last good Spider-man run was written by Dan Slott
vomit-drunk.gif

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I checked out the latest issue of Slott's FF thinking it was the final issue of his run thanks to the cover. It seems... kinda okay? It's very cheesy and sappy, but kinda in a good way. Is the rest of his run like this?
I am on record as a Slott FF fan - it's pretty good! It leans into the soap opera stuff, but Slott has a pretty good grasp on all of the characters, so it works. I like a lot of the plot developments - Ben and Alicia getting married and adopting some kids, Johnny getting engaged in a funky sci-fi way, the whole Doom marriage arc... it's good stuff.

It's not an all-time run for Slott (and definitely not for the FF), but it's probably the best thing he's written since Silver Surfer, and treads some similar thematic/structural ground even if it's no comparison quality-wise.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Beyond some weirdness in the first few issues, Zdarsky had a pretty good run on Spectacular Spider-Man. Although Editorial didn't really let him use MJ for some reason (she appears in the prologue and Peter envisions her at one point and that's sort of it for his Spec run).

Feb 16, 2022
I am on record as a Slott FF fan - it's pretty good! It leans into the soap opera stuff, but Slott has a pretty good grasp on all of the characters, so it works. I like a lot of the plot developments - Ben and Alicia getting married and adopting some kids, Johnny getting engaged in a funky sci-fi way, the whole Doom marriage arc... it's good stuff.

It's not an all-time run for Slott (and definitely not for the FF), but it's probably the best thing he's written since Silver Surfer, and treads some similar thematic/structural ground even if it's no comparison quality-wise.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Ben and Alicia's kids made me really curious.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

jph you have such good taste i can't hate you but i also can't forgive

Feb 16, 2022
AxE #3 goes hard, but I wish the story would move faster.

Regarding Starfox, this seems like a new take on the character, judging by design alone. More androgynous, for one. I last saw him during Ewing's Guardians and I don't remember what became of him, so I don't know if we're supposed to know why he's locked up in a vault.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I'm free from ban prison, hell yeah !

Anyways, Gwenverse was far from groundbreakig but still, it was a cute lil' self-worth story. And sometimes, that's all you can ask for.
I do think it got hit with the "Editors meddling" beam, since her status quo didn't change in the slightest despite all the teasing. Most likely to accomodate the End of Spider-Verse, probably.
And about that, I really hope they're not killing off old favorites to prop up the new Spidersona. Noir, Gwen and Annie all deserves better than that.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
AxE #3 goes hard, but I wish the story would move faster.

Regarding Starfox, this seems like a new take on the character, judging by design alone. More androgynous, for one. I last saw him during Ewing's Guardians and I don't remember what became of him, so I don't know if we're supposed to know why he's locked up in a vault.
I don't like the spoilered character to begin with so I would be more than happy to have him stay in the vault

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
bleedingcool.com

Tom Brevoort States AXE One-Shots Are Really Judgment Day #5A, 5B & 5C

In his most recent Forbidden Planet vlog guest spot, Marvel EVP Tom Brevoort talked about the upcoming A.X.E. Judgment Day crossover between Avengers,

"As we're getting issue five, right after issue five, come the three one shots.AXE Avengers, AXE X-Men and AXE Eternals… they're one-shots but what they really are is Judgment Day #5a #5b and #5c. There's a lot of tie-ins to an event all the time and some of them tend to be more crucial to the centre and some of them tend to be further out. These three issues are the bridge between Judgment Day #5 and the concluding Judgment Day #6. So maybe you could read #5 and jump over them and go to #6 but I don't think so. There's important stuff that happens in all three of those. They're all written by Kieron, they're drawn by three other artists who are not Valerio [Schiti] which is why they're not part of the main series. We sort of put them out to the side because Valerio was was was having a child, as he now has… that meant that he was only going to be able to do so much at that point before his life was disrupted and so this was kind of a way we botched together to get that story material in and make it seem legitimate even though artists other than Valerio were drawing those three issues… don't be fooled, they are critical to your Judgment Day story and enjoyment."

Basically since they are written by Kieron but are all drawn by different artists, so they didnt want to add them to the main series numbering.

EDIT: Theres also an article about the upcoming wrap up to Jason Aaron's Avengers run, and the reading order for the 3 Avengers books that will be crossing over lol. I just cant get excited about Aaron's Avengers. Ive tried, but I just dont care about the 1 million BC Avengers. I am curious to see Hitch's art on the book though.

Its like they want Aaron's Avengers to wrap up like Hickman's did, with a giant event crossover like the incursions and Time Runs Out. Its the comic version of the big Avengers movie that caps off each big string of phases or whatever in the MCU. I just want it to end and see what comes next lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree. I thought her response to the summons was a bit over the top as well. On the other hand, Booksmart was an absolute joy.

Booksmart is legitimately amazing. I won't be surprised if this movie is great too. But none of this makes her look good especially if she was missing for directing chunks of it??

Status
Not open for further replies.