• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yo wtf? Yea Affleck was a total clown in the Daredevil movie, but when isn't he lol. And why is that a deciding factor!

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
They seemed to have picked some generic soulless all-ages book art-style that has really dampened by hype for the book. Not paying for Marvel Unlimited for this. Might read when the trades are out.

xK0m6PP.png

Charm's art gives it a good difference than Henderson.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Sort of review of Superman Earth One

Wouldn't mind if the costume was adopted.

Nice gold outline around the S shield, encompasses the chest area, nice two tone seam makes the chest pop.

Other than that it's not really different enough to stand as an alt universe tale. Most of the lore is the same except Clark/Superman is mostly standoffish and kind of obnoxious.
Yeah Supes Earth One is probably the most "recognizable" of the Earth One books. At the time though there were some pretty big distinguishing factors: Clark feeling alienated, his powers, his personality, his relationships, all those were different from mainstream DC. But then DC rebooted and New 52 Supes ended up having a similarly aggressive personality and dealing with similar themes. The rest of the EO books take more liberties probably as a result of the New 52 making it so DC was willing to allow more freedom beyond simply retelling the heroes stories in the "modern day". GL: EO is radically different from mainline GL.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Not super-hero related, but go read My Boyfriend is a Bear and The Prince and the Dressmaker if you get a chance. The former is really funny/heartwarming and the latter has great art/character expressions (also, I think universal recently picked up the rights to a film adaptation).

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
8IHyGdx.png

My top 10 for the year (that I read for the first time). I thought I wouldn't find enough to fill out a top 10 but I stuck a couple of ongoings to round things up.

10) Case of the Missing Men: A Hobtown Mystery - A very weird book which is a mystery in the vein of a Nancy Drew book in a Twin Peaks type of setting. Cannot wait for the next mystery that is planned for late 2019.

9) A Study in Emerald - I love twist endings, especially those I do not see coming.

8) Ballad of Halo Jones - Only read book 1 but some great world building. Sad it ends after 3 books.

7) Valerian - Slowly catching up on the various stories. They continue to be super imaginative and the chemistry between Laureline and Valerian is great as always.

6) Astro City - After a couple of middling volumes (which for Astro City are still solid 8s on 10), there were some stand out issues I read this year. Looking forward to how things wrap up for the series.

5) Nancy - Got onto Bushmiller's work via Olivia James' new run and it is pure genius.
Tfj19HG.png

n2UNMsn.jpg

xVzMbNX.jpg

4) Barks - Donald Duck - Catching up on a few of his earlier works. So many authors seem to struggle with making a story read like an epic adventure but Barks does it so effortlessly. Love his characters' body language and expressions.
TonRAWi.png

3) Dementia 21 - Body horror and shock as a genre is not my favourite but the absurdist tone of this comic acts well as a commentary on the problems of an ageing Japanese population.
XN6w0dp.jpg

2) The Wild Storm - Now that I've kinda dropped Squirrel Girl, this is the comic I most look forward to every month. Intricately plotted and some of the best action scenes in a western comic.
acV58wv.jpg

1) Sabrina - Stand out comic this year. A techical masterpiece and captures our society in 2018 so well.
yce0764.png

Other good reads this year - Luisa Now and Then, Rumble, Ghost of Gaudi, Rashomon, Curse Words, Body Music

WTF of the year - Cloud Hotel (possibly followed by Why Art?)

Worst comic - A Polar Bear in Love

Biggest letdown - Shadowpact. I was super excited based on the description and characters. Turned out to be rather bland.
This makes me wish I would keep a list of all the new stuff I read/watched/played/listened in a year so I could make a list but then I remember I'm far too lazy.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Good list, I'll definitely be noting some of those down to have a look at! Specifically in regard to Rashomon, did you write about it in the thread at some point? I've been meaning to read that all year and just never got to it, would be interested to read any thoughts you put down and I may have missed them

I just mentioned it and posted a couple of pages back in May.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/co...does-a-skeleton-have-boobs.39545/post-7625974

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the Bombshells Katana on her base is frightening with lining up the foot pegs and the part of the dress that has to drape off the side of the base.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I read Secret Six: Villains United by Simone. I was a little confused, since so much seems to tie into Infinite Crisis, I think? But the core story of this team of freaks trying not to murder eachother and keep working together is great. Catman and Deadshot are the standouts.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone, for a lot of reasons I've started getting back into actually reading comics. I've always been a big fan but just lost track over time and it can be difficult to know where to start after you've been out of the game awhile.

Anyway, I was reading some older teen titans issues and it got me thinking about a question I had. Has Trigon ever actually interacted with Darkseid? I keep wondering between the two of them who would win in a duel but I think it's a tough call, Darkseid is powerful for sure even more so with True Darkseid? but Trigon eats and enslaves entire dimensions.

I was curious where other DC/comic fans fall on the battle, and figured I'd ask here.

I'm also curious as to which Rebirth books have been considered worth the time?

I've got lots of stuff to read but always looking for more recommendations. Into the Spider-Verse got my interest piqued in Spider-Man Noir and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Oct 25, 2017
I already posted my best of 2018 a few weeks ago but I'll take any excuse to bring up Head Lopper and Green Monk again as my favourite ongoing and OGN this year. Both are well worth checking out.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I was reading some older teen titans issues and it got me thinking about a question I had. Has Trigon ever actually interacted with Darkseid? I keep wondering between the two of them who would win in a duel but I think it's a tough call, Darkseid is powerful for sure even more so with True Darkseid? but Trigon eats and enslaves entire dimensions.

I was curious where other DC/comic fans fall on the battle, and figured I'd ask here.

I don't think they've ever interacted. But you have Darkseid, with godlike powers, and Trigon, who is pretty much actually a god. They're definitely some of the most powerful characters in the DCU, though. Along with characters like Eclipso, Anti-Monitor, Spectre, and of course, The Presence.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I read Secret Six: Villains United by Simone. I was a little confused, since so much seems to tie into Infinite Crisis, I think? But the core story of this team of freaks trying not to murder eachother and keep working together is great. Catman and Deadshot are the standouts.
Villains United is the beginning as a tie-in. Then there's the real series as a follow-ip with legitimately the single best version of Bane ever.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Ps4 spider-man you just gone have Yuri become Wraith off screen?

That's some bullshit.

Last edited:

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also as far as comic era drama is concerned this is nothing compared to the time there was some that wanted to secede from the thread. Hah

I'd like to see the snipes toned down, same with the retreading of flogging the same creators over and over. Its well established what a lot of people think on those topics. And I'm good with critical thoughts on comics if you then out in the work to explain things. But this year it seemed people got addicted to throwing out hot takes with no follow up explanations. Not the most conducive way to discuss things

But in general the core group of this thread has been interacting for years and years and sometimes it just feels like things flare up like an ol married couple. But it usually works itself out

Wait what. Catch a new member up?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what. Catch a new member up?
Nu 52 DC used to get so clowned on that some posters legitimately proposed a creation of seperate Marvel and DC comic threads.
There was a guy in the old comic thread (I won't call him out since he doesn't post in this thread anyway) on GAF that essentially wanted to secede so he could be in a DC Comics-only discussion thread, which lead to what we refer to as the ComicGAF Civil War.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people recognize what an absolute misfire the entire "Super" line was during this time.

Morrison goes with a more aggressive Superman and suddenly the entire Superman family morphs into directionless, stick in the mud assholes. With terrible costumes.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people recognize what an absolute misfire the entire "Super" line was during this time.

Morrison goes with a more aggressive Superman and suddenly the entire Superman family morphs into directionless, stick in the mud assholes. With terrible costumes.
I mean thats what happens when you give Lobdell the Super books lol.

I didnt think Morrison's Action Comics was super aggressive. Yea he was a bit punchy, but it felt more like a happy go lucky Superman, atleast at first. I havent read it since it came out, so I could be wrong.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Hey people, looking for some advice. Just finished reading my first comic series, Darth Vader in hardback. I've decided that I want to buy some more hardbacks / omnibus.

Is there any finished series that I can buy as two hardbacks or an omnibus, featuring the x-men, Hulk and Spidey ? Like a team up.

Also looking for a finished series with the Justice League, one for Batman, and batman + Superman team up.

Ideally want whatever is generally regarded as the best, but not something that's going to break the bank (i.e. hard to find).

Btw, in terms of Batman, I've watched most of the animated films e.g. the Killing Joke etc, and so only looking for stories that haven't been adapted to film etc.

Sorry if this seems a bit vague lol.

Edit: oh yeah, I've also read the Spider-Man novel that is set before the game, and the Batman novel where Bane almost killed him, and that other guy took over Batman's mantle for a while (sorry, can't remember his name). Appreciate reccomendations for any similar novels featuring either the team ups mentioned above, or just Spidey alone, and just Batman.

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Nu 52 DC used to get so clowned on that some posters legitimately proposed a creation of seperate Marvel and DC comic threads.

It's why folks need to chill on the ragging, because that stuff will swing back around eventually.

I'm also curious as to which Rebirth books have been considered worth the time?

Off the top of my head:
Superman
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Deathstroke
Super Sons
Nightwing
Green Lanterns

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hey people, looking for some advice. Just finished reading my first comic series, Darth Vader in hardback. I've decided that I want to buy some more hardbacks / omnibus.

Is there any finished series that I can buy as two hardbacks or an omnibus, featuring the x-men, Hulk and Spidey ? Like a team up.

Also looking for a finished series with the Justice League, one for Batman, and batman + Superman team up.

Ideally want whatever is generally regarded as the best, but not something that's going to break the bank (i.e. hard to find).

Btw, in terms of Batman, I've watched most of the animated films e.g. the Killing Joke etc, and so only looking for stories that haven't been adapted to film etc.

Sorry if this seems a bit vague lol.
Its not the exact team up you described, but check out Jonathan Hickman's Avengers Omnibus 1 and 2. Some of the major beats were used for Avengers Infinity War, if you like the movies. His Avengers run ends with a huge event called Secret Wars, which is also collected in a hardcover, but isnt in the omnis.

Also, if your in the US, theres a website called InStockTrades.com that typically has the best prices and free shipping for orders over $50.

Batman has a bunch. Morrison's Batman omnibus just came out a few months ago, but its not for everyone. Theres also the Loeb/Sale Batman omnibus, which has some very classic stories all in one.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Its not the exact team up you described, but check out Jonathan Hickman's Avengers Omnibus 1 and 2. Some of the major beats were used for Avengers Infinity War, if you like the movies. His Avengers run ends with a huge event called Secret Wars, which is also collected in a hardcover, but isnt in the omnis.

Also, if your in the US, theres a website called InStockTrades.com that typically has the best prices and free shipping for orders over $50.

Batman has a bunch. Morrison's Batman omnibus just came out a few months ago, but its not for everyone. Theres also the Loeb/Sale Batman omnibus, which has some very classic stories all in one.

In the UK. Is Secret Wars always the same story? As in I remember reading a comic I think, years ago with Spidey as the leader and featuring the Beyonder. Also in the Spiderman animated series iirc. Will the one you mentioned be pretty much the same story?

Also, is this the Avengers one you mean: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1302911813

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, what's with this Lionsgate Catalyst Prime stuff. The first volume of Astonisher was fun! The Event was interesting too, noticed later that it was by Priest.

Haven't read anything by Alex De Campi before either. Any other good stuff by her any of you would recommend?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
In the UK. Is Secret Wars always the same story? As in I remember reading a comic I think, years ago with Spidey as the leader and featuring the Beyonder. Also in the Spiderman animated series iirc. Will the one you mentioned be pretty much the same story?

Also, is this the Avengers one you mean: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1302911813
Yea thats the 2nd Omni.

Secret Wars is only similar to the original in a homage sort of way. This is really its own thing. Youve probably seen some screen shots from it in threads from time to time on Era. Its a pretty awesome event.

And btw, I second Freeza's rec of Justice League Darkseid War.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
For Justice League, you might want to check out the Darkseid War omnibus. It was a pretty fun story. The omni includes the full story and the associated mini-series.

MAY170344.jpg

Thanks. Was looking for some info about this, and according to a reddit thread, apparently you should read something called Trinity War and Forever Evil, before reading this, as they are all tied in. Can I ask your opinion on that?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Was looking for some info about this, and according to a reddit thread, apparently you should read something called Trinity War and Forever Evil, before reading this, as they are all tied in. Can I ask your opinion on that?
Forever Evil is probably a good idea. That was a fun read as well. I didn't read Trinity War and I didn't find myself lost. Usually the editors put in references where things happened if it's at all important.
Oh damn there's an omni? Sweeeeeet.
It's only like $40 on Instocktrades.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Got through the first trade of Vader 2017 and lol, they changed the NO scene a bit. I would say that they were trying to make it less silly, but they instead have Vader force push his master into the wall. XD

Pretty good so far! Was cool to see how Vader got a new lightsaber.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's why folks need to chill on the ragging, because that stuff will swing back around eventually.

Off the top of my head:
Superman
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Deathstroke
Super Sons
Nightwing
Green Lanterns
These. Plus Action Comics, Suicide Squad (stick through the mediocre first arc), New Super-Man, Batman, Wonder Woman (Rucka), Aquaman, and The Flash.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, it's almost £200 for both omnibuses!
lol, its not a cheap hobby, thats for sure. Usually I will buy most books digitally since its much cheaper, but if its something I really loved and want that prestige format, ill buy the omnibus.

There are smaller versions of omnis that are referred to as ohcs (oversized hardcovers), or Deluxe Editions, but they dont come out for everything. DC though has been doing them for every big series since their relaunch with Rebirth. So if you like any of the current series, like Batman or Superman, they have Deluxe Editions for around $25 with like 12 issues in one. They are up to around vol. 3 or 4 now for most of them at the moment.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed all three Son of Hulk trades from the CMX sale. I was gonna buy the Complete Collection but that trade is missing the last few issues because they don't strictly involve Skaar. This was the better deal as I got the whole series for under $10.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
lol, its not a cheap hobby, thats for sure. Usually I will buy most books digitally since its much cheaper, but if its something I really loved and want that prestige format, ill buy the omnibus.

There are smaller versions of omnis that are referred to as ohcs (oversized hardcovers), or Deluxe Editions, but they dont come out for everything. DC though has been doing them for every big series since their relaunch with Rebirth. So if you like any of the current series, like Batman or Superman, they have Deluxe Editions for around $25 with like 12 issues in one. They are up to around vol. 3 or 4 now for most of them at the moment.

Ok cool, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.