• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wish everyone a happy new year now since I won't be on here later. All the best for 2019!

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
What are everyone's comic book goals for 2019? I have a big list of stuff I plan to read, but I don't wanna type it up on mobile.

Don't you dare say "Not reading comics."

Hopefully I'll get the four-story anthology I've spent the last three years working on, finally to market.

[Tiny panel snippet of work in-progress, by Olivia 'Critical Role Vox Machina Origins' Samson and Ted 'Crowded' Brandt. Colours to come]

20181231_165442.jpg

And, more likely, catch up with East of West and Lazarus, once I'm through with Silver Surfer (a recommendation from here, which has been on point).

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The year is 2040, Critical Role has both a billion dollar movie franchise and a small nation state in the annexed land formerly known as Montreal.

Oct 25, 2017
What are everyone's comic book goals for 2019? I have a big list of stuff I plan to read, but I don't wanna type it up on mobile.

Good question. Probably just continue to try and find some rad comics to read; to try new things and broaden my horizons while still staying true to what I like about the medium. The list of ongoing books I follow fell drastically this year, down to single digits for the first time in a long time. Some of that is for good reasons, I cut lose a bunch of dead weight books that I had long lost interest in and was really just buying volumes because I made it this far kind of thing. Some of it was great books being cancelled on masse, which was a bummer. A few did just naturally end too. So it would be cool to grow that a little but not just pick up shit to pad it out. Also I guess just be cool with reading less comics but that are that a really high quality.

As for actual books I really want to get to, not a lot on the comic side, I stay pretty up to date on the stuff I like, no big long runs I want to tackle. I just kicked off a few runs of manga that are done already like Punpun & Pluto, so following those along at my own pace.

And not strictly for me, but keeping my kid up on his books is a big one. 2018 was the year I finally got him on some monthlies and he's super into them, way more than I expected. So maintain that, maybe find a few more, and hope Marvel don't fuck them all up or anything (or fuck me up with worse cover prices or something).

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I finished The Filth. Ivve had a problem with Morrison where I realized he sort of has the same 3 ideas/concepts over and over again, and The Filth hits all of them. There's the comic book/higher dimension stuff, fiction as reality, etc. I enjoyed it still but it's definitely less elegant than something like Flex Mentallo, which Morrison actually redoes here. The final twist is good but it definitely feels rushed, like it all comes crashing down in 2 issues.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Not super-hero related, but go read My Boyfriend is a Bear and The Prince and the Dressmaker if you get a chance. The former is really funny/heartwarming and the latter has great art/character expressions (also, I think universal recently picked up the rights to a film adaptation).
I read through My Boyfriend Is A Bear after getting it at NYCC. I thought it was good overall but the ending didn't do much for me even though I get the moral of the story. It was still a fun read that I would recommend to non-comic book readers.

Yo, what's with this Lionsgate Catalyst Prime stuff. The first volume of Astonisher was fun! The Event was interesting too, noticed later that it was by Priest.

Haven't read anything by Alex De Campi before either. Any other good stuff by her any of you would recommend?
I haven't read much by Alex De Campi but I've heard great things about Twisted Romance and No Mercy. I've only read Mayday since I interviewed her and Tony Parker and reviewed the first issue (my cherry picked quote is on the back of the trade paperback). It's a 1970s spy thriller about two Russian agents posing as Americans. It gets violent, has digetic music, and has a good pace. She's doing a Kickstarter for a medieval war romance series.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I was the grateful recipient of several omnibuses for Christmas, including Lee and Kirby's second volume of FF, Lee's second ASM with Romita, and the first Avengers omnibus from Lee and Kirby. I would really like to get through them in short order. I have some collecting goals, which I'm going to try to be reasonable about.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Alright, I finished The Filth. Ivve had a problem with Morrison where I realized he sort of has the same 3 ideas/concepts over and over again, and The Filth hits all of them. There's the comic book/higher dimension stuff, fiction as reality, etc. I enjoyed it still but it's definitely less elegant than something like Flex Mentallo, which Morrison actually redoes here. The final twist is good but it definitely feels rushed, like it all comes crashing down in 2 issues.
From what I saw in my research before starting Morrison's books, The Filth, Flex Mentallo and The Invisibles are all a "trilogy" of sorts that talk about the same stuff and have the same themes

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read much by Alex De Campi but I've heard great things about Twisted Romance and No Mercy. I've only read Mayday since I interviewed her and Tony Parker and reviewed the first issue (my cherry picked quote is on the back of the trade paperback). It's a 1970s spy thriller about two Russian agents posing as Americans. It gets violent, has digetic music, and has a good pace. She's doing a Kickstarter for a medieval war romance series.

Hmm. Twisted Romance didn't work for me, not sure what stories/parts of it she worked on. Will look for No Mercy and Mayday, thanks.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Reading that Warren Ellis interview MH posted a while ago and this feels like a dig at comicsgate

20181231_190814.JPG

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My goal is to honestly shift more to manga and indie stuff. This year I been pretty focused on big two and I can feel either a decline in quality and/or my interest, so I'll probably swing back that way.

Then again how many indoe superhero verses do we have now?

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
This is one for me. Already started following it this month. Not buying anything that I won't read within a few weeks.
Same lol. I ended up not buying stuff on sale outside of a volume of Hawkeye for instance. I have a lot of stuff I need to read and buying more doesn't really help.

I might clean my pull list some more but I've already whittled it down pretty significantly:
-BPRD (ends next year anyways)
-Umbrella Academy (above)
-Wonder Woman (need to read last issue still so this could change)
-Deadly Class
-Snotgirl (bimonthly)
-Amazing Spider-Man
-Thor
-Hulk
-Venom
Edit: plus Green Lantern of course lol

And I think that might be it. There's some other stuff I read (Black Hammer and Image) but I usually wait for discounts so that's not so bad.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I read through My Boyfriend Is A Bear after getting it at NYCC. I thought it was good overall but the ending didn't do much for me even though I get the moral of the story. It was still a fun read that I would recommend to non-comic book readers.

I thought it was a fun book. I read it because the concept is just so ridiculous.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Does certain powersets make it harder for a character to headline?

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
If I get the phase 1 and 2 idw transformers collections....does that basically include everything on TF or do I need to pick up anything else??

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hm? I mean maybe in sense that certain powersets are harder to write solid stories for so they get less quality books and people go "eh" unless theyre a big name

I feel like Wonder Man had tgat issue in spades
But in the 90s Wonder Man had all the powers including the power to give others powers

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Super Sons omni today finally!! I can just jump right in, without reading Tomasi's Superman, right? I plan on getting back to it eventually, but I really want to start Super Sons now.

Yup. It actually includes the two Superman issues that kind of setup the Super Sons series. So you're completely good to go.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Headlining is all about popularity. I imagine the power sets play into what makes certain characters more popular than others. I'm sure we're never getting an ongoing series starring Beak.

Beak stumbling through 616 and using his real power (friendship, everyone likes him) to cause the most oddball situations would be a great mini

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

It might not be to "not reading comics" but its definitely "read fewer comics". I have a habit of reading things I don't really care about just to keep up on everything. I'd like to ease up on that so I can maybe read more classic runs. There's still some I haven't gotten through. I want to finish my read of all of Iron Man v1, then get through Legion of Super-Heroes v3.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
It might not be to "not reading comics" but its definitely "read fewer comics". I have a habit of reading things I don't really care about just to keep up on everything. I'd like to ease up on that so I can maybe read more classic runs. There's still some I haven't gotten through. I want to finish my read of all of Iron Man v1, then get through Legion of Super-Heroes v3.

If you figure out how to cut out the extraneous, mediocre comics that I feel obligated to read for continuity's sake, please let me know...

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If you figure out how to cut out the extraneous, mediocre comics that I feel obligated to read for continuity's sake, please let me know...

Well, all jokes aside. It's going to take work to train our minds. At least twice a year I'll cut comics that I'm not actually enjoying...but somehow they always creep back in. I think a good way to focus on it is to be particularly ruthless about it, and if you're not excited to see what's happening every issue, drop the book.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
My comics resolution is basically to prune the hell out of my pull list, which I already started. For the next year I'm following

- Flash
- Wonder Woman
- Everything Black Hammer
- Immortal Hulk
- RHatO
- Supergirl
- Amazing Spider-Man
- Everything Chip Zdarksy writes
- Shazam!
- The Wild Storm
- The Green Lantern

Only "continuity" books I'm checking out at Doomsday Clock and Man Without Fear. Also checking out the Conan books, Captain Marvel, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Force, and Uncanny X-Men to maybe also follow via singles. Which is still a lot, but it was waaaaay crazier before this. Managed to cut the monthly cost by over 50%.

Oct 25, 2017
I might clean my pull list some more but I've already whittled it down pretty significantly:
~
And I think that might be it. There's some other stuff I read (Black Hammer and Image) but I usually wait for discounts so that's not so bad.

^ That's a nice lean list man.

I counted mine up and I'm at 8 titles, 3 of which have endings confirmed and another 3 that really only have intermittent schedules haha. So while 8 is fine, only 2 being proper ongoings makes for slim pickings a little. (The 8 are: Head Lopper, Ether, Rumble, Deadly Class, Lazarus, BPRD, Umbrella Academy & The Wild Storm)

That said there's some good stuff that will start or have started & will arrive in tpb by this time next year. I'll probably add Coda, Bitter Root, These Savage Shores, Middlewest and the Sandman books to my pull, should fill things out again a bit.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to switch to digital for my pulls this year. It's already been dwindling, so I'll cut it to the bare essentials. Longboxes starting to take up too much space.

Space I could use for more hardcovers.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.

Not reading the thingamajig.

Anyway I guess for now, I only have Young Justice and Gideon Falls in mind to check out via issues (Sideways and Magic Order are wrapping up soon), and catching up on like 3-4 series via trades.

There is also Arkham Asylum 2 that I am definitely looking forward to, and I am guessing is coming out in 2019. I still plan to be digital, but AA2 will likely be an exception (and definitely Detective Comics 1000 now that I remembered that).

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
As for not-monthly comics I'm probably going to try dive into the many long Marvel runs I haven't yet read on MU, haven't really used it since I finished my Spidey reading. Off the top of my head:

Lee/Kirby FF
Byrne FF
Simonson's Thor
Claremont/Davis Excalibur
PAD Hulk
Spider-Girl
Spider-Man 2099
Duggan Deadpool
Byrne's Sensational She-Hulk
Ultimate Spider-Man
Age of Apocalypse

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope MU's resolution next year is to clean up some of their mess. I feel like I'd use MU if the pages weren't so poorly compressed and the app was more stable and usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.