• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is your favourite comics publisher?

• Marvel

• DC

• Shonen Jump (best boy Bakugo)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Thats probably true. Has Way said anything about continuing the series? Or if Hotel was an ending? (that you know of)

Yes it's continuing. He said the plan is to keep doing these different series, it looks like Hotel Oblivion will wrap up, they'll have some time off, and then the next one will start... but we all know how good Way is at staying on schedule, so we'll see

Edit: the direct quote from an interview from the fall when Hotel Oblivion was starting was "We have this show now, so we need to stay ahead of them and give them a blueprint for what they might do," Way says. "In order to do that, the idea is to take very little time in between arcs and just start working on a new arc right after the last one is done. That way we can eventually get to the end of this story."

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
ok, thanks

oh boy there's a lot of BPRD
Yeah it's over 150 issues at this point lol

It's great though. It's more or less the main book of the universe now, and it's a really fantastic team book. You'll definitely enjoy it once it gets going. Beginning is a bit rough as It has a lot of different creators without a clear focus, but once Arcudi joins on writing, it becomes really incredible and never lets up. The artists on it are all wonderful too. Guy Davis, Cameron Stewart, James Harren, Jason Latour, and more all contribute.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I went to a cool lil bookstore downtown yesterday and found Immortal Hulk issue 1 for one dollar in great condition. Mine now. Also finally picked up Essex County physically for 15! In the novel world, bought some Mishima and Kakfa, too. Successful haul.
That's it, I think all plotlines are abandoned like the moment the writer is off. It think it doesn't even become a major thing again until DC decided to say fuck it and did a story that ended with Aquaman raising it to the surface again.
Lame. Welp. Thanks for saving me some time!

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I went to a cool lil bookstore downtown yesterday and found Immortal Hulk issue 1 for one dollar in great condition. Mine now. Also finally picked up Essex County physically for 15! In the novel world, bought some Mishima and Kakfa, too. Successful haul.

Lame. Welp. Thanks for saving me some time!
The first volume sets up so many cool plotlines for the future and makes Sub Diego basically Arthur's Gotham with police, new teen sidekick etc and its all dropped so quickly.

I'd almost say they should've redone it after Drowned Earth now in the modern day. Have a city fall into the ocean, mutate half the people etc. Do a Teen Titans crossover with Aqualad staying behind.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The first volume sets up so many cool plotlines for the future and makes Sub Diego basically Arthur's Gotham with police, new teen sidekick etc and its all dropped so quickly.

I'd almost say they should've redone it after Drowned Earth now in the modern day. Have a city fall into the ocean, mutate half the people etc. Do a Teen Titans crossover with Aqualad staying behind.
Yeah, what a waste of potential. Definitely a rich concept that could have been explored.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I finished Death and Glory yesterday, took me a while to read the whole volume, I'm not gonna be continuing this series. None of the characters seem all that interesting and the story doesn't really have any interesting hooks. I like the colorfulness of the art but that, too, is kinda dull. Usually I'll knock out a whole trade in a day but this one took me over a week just because I had no real interest in reading the next issue.
I found the action sequences interesting if nothing else. But I agree that all the characters are very one-dimensional tropes (evil ex-husband who's a creep, everywoman protagonist who's thrown in a desperate times, desperate measures situation, etc.) and cartoony as sin. I'm in a privileged position where I can read comics ahead of their release so I'll continue to read it. But it feels like a pitch for a TV show (which is not a bad thing since creators need to make a living).

I've never read any of Remender's other works (only skimmed through Low at a Barnes and Noble). But my understanding is he can write good characters when he doesn't have a raging boner for things such as Mexican drug cartels and Japanese culture such as the yakuza. It's a reason why I'm hesitant to read The Deadly Class for instance.

I binge read through all the issues of Crowded a few days ago and found it much more interesting for a story that's similar to DoG. I suppose it helps that it has humor and sci-fi elements to break up the zaniness. The art style and colors reminded me very heavily of The Weatherman.

On another note, I read Anthem #1 since I'm reviewing it for work and it was okay. I like that it has a protagonist of color who's a lesbian but it goes through it quickly. There's no build up since it's in a montage of panels that serve as time lapses. I have 0 interest in checking out the game. The comic is another case of style over substance with the art and colors solid but the story is meh.

I read Monstress #20 all I have to say is holy crap! A lot happens and it's only going to make the inevitable collision course between certain characters that much more gut wrenching. I'm not spoiling but this issue goes ham on the revelations. There's still a few teases for the next issue but it was quite good as a whole.

Lastly, I read through High Crimes in one sitting last night and it was really good. Tonally, it's similar to Shanghai Red as opposed to Crowded since it's a tense thriller. Except that this isn't a revenge plot so much as about a woman and her partner who get caught caught in the cross hairs of a bunch of government agents after their shady trade catches up to them. Like Shanghai Red, it explores PTSD, addiction, and survival. The violence is brutal at times but not gratuitous. It was damn good so I highly recommend it.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Do you recall how it gets resolved? I just wanna know then. haha
I'm pretty sure during 52 (or the WW3 tie-in) they just show a scene where Aquaman raises sub-diego from the sea to the ground?
I remember seeing it in one of the series I read last year so I think it's that one. I was super confused at the time of reading it because it's like a 2-page interlude and it NEVER gets referenced again

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
A fourth series is in development and Way has said he has ideas for more after that. I mean, I honestly can't see him wanting to get off the money train now that the Netflix series exists.
No for sure, I was just wondering when the best point to do a larger HC treatment would be. If it was ending after Hotel, I could see them doing all three in one. But if its continuing that still up in the air. The Deluxe Editions for the first two are crazy expensive lol.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
No for sure, I was just wondering when the best point to do a larger HC treatment would be. If it was ending after Hotel, I could see them doing all three in one. But if its continuing that still up in the air. The Deluxe Editions for the first two are crazy expensive lol.
Empowered did big omnibus volumes after every three books. Though Empowered was an OGN series and didn't release monthly outside of special one-shots and that Sistah Spooky series. But I really don't want to forego the single-volume deluxe editions that they've been putting out for Umbrella Academy, because I can lord over everyone that I own the first volume which is rare and expensive.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well I finished with the War of Kings section of the cosmic marvel reading list. overall it was pretty good but the actual main event was probably the least interesting part. with Annihilation and Conquest the main events were epic and everything else was also really good too so it all felt really huge and cohesive whereas with War of Kings the main event felt more obligatory. like, ok here's the thing that has to exist for all this other stuff around the fringes to do the heavy lifting. but there was still a lot of good stuff in there. I enjoyed the early X Men stuff a lot, Silent War was a highlight, the Guardians stuff was great, Nova was great, the Darkhawk stuff in Ascension was great, lot of great stuff in there despite that. also that reading list for this section kind of sucked. I feel like there were a few more books that should have been added in place of that one wrap up book that's super boring to read through because it's just a summary with some pictures, it wasn't even formatted like a comic. I skipped it but getting more comics on a reading list that exists to be comprehensive in favor of a 1 off summary thing seems better to me. then the ordering later on gets really wonky where you're reading stuff that's obviously from the aftermath of the event before you get to War of Kings 3-6 to actually wrap it up. I think it was Nova and Guardians that had stuff listed before War of Kings 3-6 that were set in the aftermath. not that knowing what happens was this big reveal because the space time thing gets foreseen early on but it was still weird knowing I was reading something further ahead than where I was elsewhere.

onto Realm of Kings

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
4 hours without a post? Is this what this place looks like without anime? the fuck?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So...is everything Tom King writes as good as the Vision? I don't even like the Vision! I had originally planned to skip the book.
It's my favorite of his works, but Sheriff of Babylon, Mister Miracle and Omega Men are almost as good. His Batman run has some great moments, but is divisive overall. His run on Grayson (co-written) is good as well.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited to read it. Signed up for DC Universe for Doom Patrol and saw they had the full runs of Gotham Central and Grayson, both of which have been sitting in my CMX wishlist for a bit
Grayson is an amazing example of taking a character into a new genre and still retaining his core. Also keep in mind that Grayson is just as much Seeley as it is King and Seeley went on to write Nightwing for DC Rebirth

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
mH9aznbP_o.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered the first 3 Blade of the Immortal omnis on eBay for $35 (w/ shipping). Going to pick up the rest of the Gundam The Origin HCs before getting the rest of BotI, in case they go OOP.

Since DC doesn't want me reading their books in a premium format, guess ill start reading manga in one lol smh

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered the first 3 Blade of the Immortal omnis on eBay for $35 (w/ shipping). Going to pick up the rest of the Gundam The Origin HCs before getting the rest of BotI, in case they go OOP.

Since DC doesn't want me reading their books in a premium format, guess ill start reading manga in one lol smh

Shonen Jump publishing puts out those books in a lovely format

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Shonen Jump is the best publisher.

Speaking of, there has to be something wrong with the poll. Theres no way we have over 120 people visiting, especially ones who would vote for DC!
Shonen Jump is an imprint, not a publisher. Jesus Fuck I get tired of saying it because Messi needs to be reminded three times per day.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Just teach the colorists how to be artists so there is no work lost.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017

That tweet about him jokingly delaying it until the solicits isn't so funny anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.