Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Aureview

Flic: The True Story of the Journalist Who Infiltrated the Police
91xMj0sAaBL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Is this like a furry antithesis of Tokyo Vice?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's written by an infamous liar, and he becomes a cop without revealing he's a journalist, so kinda the antithesis, yeah.
I literally just saw a Polygon article yesterday where Adelstein was giving a tour of Tokyo to one of the writers on that site.

Edit: It wasn't Polygon, it was Game Informer.

Last edited:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to check it out. I just started playing One for All again, and it's pretty great. I'm really excited for the eventual Shiny Colors adaptation. Some of those characters are my favorite.
yea I'm excited for that too. Shiny Colors has probably the strongest overall lineup of characters since 765. Shame they're done with 2D animation. but I'm optimistic for this and Million Live's anime.
It's fun! It's a good time

I initially skipped it because the idea of making small kids into idols was just something i wasn't interested in, but seeing shiki and frederica made an appearance has probably changed my mind
not much of a fan of the kid idols either, but this was actually a really sweet and well made show. the utilization of cameos of other characters was also really effective at making the series more charming. definitely check it out. one of the last episodes had one particular sequence that was stunningly produced and animated.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the mood to read a comic. Quick, someone name one right now and I'll read it.

Oct 28, 2017
For anyone who's read a lot of the era, what are some good sleeper runs of the DC Post-Crisis years through the mid-90s? I've been attempting to go through chronologically, picking through series that I liked or seemed interesting, but I'm sure there's some that have slipped through the cracks. Either digital or physical is fine provided the trades aren't a hundred a pop.

I normally have a hard time getting through older books but I've been pleasantly surprised how well most of them hold up. Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Spectre were very good, Moore's Swamp Thing and Morrison's Animal Man were GOATed, JLI didn't hit for me at first but I fell in love about 15 issues in or so, Booster Gold was surprisingly a lot of fun.

They haven't all been hits. Byrne's Superman didn't vibe with me at all (though I haven't enjoyed anything he's written) and Peter David's Aquaman starts strong but was ultimately really disappointing especially after reading his Hulk last year, but more often than not it's been worth my time.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
not much of a fan of the kid idols either, but this was actually a really sweet and well made show. the utilization of cameos of other characters was also really effective at making the series more charming. definitely check it out. one of the last episodes had one particular sequence that was stunningly produced and animated.
Will do! Thanks rave

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who's read a lot of the era, what are some good sleeper runs of the DC Post-Crisis years through the mid-90s? I've been attempting to go through chronologically, picking through series that I liked or seemed interesting, but I'm sure there's some that have slipped through the cracks. Either digital or physical is fine provided the trades aren't a hundred a pop.

I normally have a hard time getting through older books but I've been pleasantly surprised how well most of them hold up. Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Spectre were very good, Moore's Swamp Thing and Morrison's Animal Man were GOATed, JLI didn't hit for me at first but I fell in love about 15 issues in or so, Booster Gold was surprisingly a lot of fun.

They haven't all been hits. Byrne's Superman didn't vibe with me at all (though I haven't enjoyed anything he's written) and Peter David's Aquaman starts strong but was ultimately really disappointing especially after reading his Hulk last year, but more often than not it's been worth my time.

PAD's Supergirl
5YL Legion of Super-Heroes
Post Zero Hour Legion. (Start with Legion of Super-Heroes #0, Legionnaires #0)
Chuck Dixon's Robin (Dixon sucks but these stories are good, get them second hand.)
Ron Marz's Green Lantern
Karl Kesel's Superboy
James Robinson's Starman
Grell's Green Arrow

Any of these are worth reading, I would say.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I don't think it's odd. I think people just have different priorities, and personal entertainment is somewhere on that scale too. For example, I think most people can agree that AI is bad for artists, yet actual artists are going to be much more invested in protesting it than someone who doesn't have any skin in the game and is not at risk of losing employment because of it.

Life is hard enough and you have to find enjoyment where you can. For some people, figure collecting is part of that. It's perfectly fine to take moral stands against this or that. But choose your battles. A few people not buying Nendos isn't going to hurt GSC in the slightest. And frankly there are much bigger societal ills to be concerned with. If you pour energy into every one of them you're just going to exhaust yourself. And frankly I think a lot of the concern people exhibit on social media for various causes is purely performative.

again, i get the gist of this - circumstances vary as well as priority; i know it's a lot easier for me to say, not partronize chik-fil-a than someone else for whom that's the only option they have near their job/etc.

i do think it a bit odd that we're posting on a forum born from another one that at the time, drew a hard line in the sand to gamergate bullshit - especially during a time when few places did (and honestly, few would today). this particular comics community is (thankfully) likewise not friendly to comicsgaters. finding out that a company i've bought several gaming figma/nendroids in the past literally has a hand in propping up 4chan, a hate site that has fostered fascist mass killers (and has corners where they're celebrated) is pretty big, honestly. i can't abide that, and even if they dropped it, i'd need to see a change in management to indulge them again.

the idea that not many others may go along/make a dent has been true for efforts like BDS since their inception, but i can't be responsible for that - only celebrate when more people become down the cause, and consequences for shitty behavior increase.

i do get choosing your battles, and absolutely agree on the performative nature of these things online. i likewise appreciate that this didn't devolve into the sort of "no ethical consumption under capitalism" line that's just kinda...needlessly reductive

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
finding out that a company i've bought several gaming figma/nendroids in the past literally has a hand in propping up 4chan, a hate site that has fostered fascist mass killers (and has corners where they're celebrated) is pretty big, honestly. i can't abide that, and even if they dropped it, i'd need to see a change in management to indulge them again.
Granted I don't know an awful lot about 4chan. I may have browsed it a little here and there over a decade and a half ago, but it was only ever for anime stuff. There are going to be dark corners where things like that fester on any reasonably large web forum, unfortunately. I'm not going to defend it and GSC investing surely isn't a good look, but from what I've read when those articles were posted GSC is supposedly a passive investor with a 30% stake, and is looking to divest anyhow.

i likewise appreciate that this didn't devolve into the sort of "no ethical consumption under capitalism" line that's just kinda...needlessly reductive
It's a lazy argument. Certainly a true one to some extent, but it gets trotted out so often as some kind of "gotcha" that it's not worth mentioning.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

JLE is a good companion piece to JLI.
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is great.
Ostrander also had a good run on Firestorm.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Mark Waid's Flash.

Mark Waid's Impulse.

Peter David's Young Justice.

Other good stuff has also already been recommended.

Oct 28, 2017
PAD's Supergirl
5YL Legion of Super-Heroes
Post Zero Hour Legion. (Start with Legion of Super-Heroes #0, Legionnaires #0)
Chuck Dixon's Robin (Dixon sucks but these stories are good, get them second hand.)
Ron Marz's Green Lantern
Karl Kesel's Superboy
James Robinson's Starman
Grell's Green Arrow

Any of these are worth reading, I would say.

JLE is a good companion piece to JLI.
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is great.
Ostrander also had a good run on Firestorm.

Mark Waid's Flash.

Mark Waid's Impulse.

Peter David's Young Justice.

Other good stuff has also already been recommended.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I've read Marz's GL (good, including the Winick stuff, but the last dozen issues or so kinda sucked comparitively,) Grell's GA (solid) and Waid's Flash (incredible, totally worth the heaps of praise) but I'll add the rest to the list. I don't know how I missed Ostrander doing a Firestorm run, I'm not interested in the character but he hasn't missed for me yet so I'll have to see if he changes my mind.

Are either of those Legion recs good places to start in general for them? I've always wanted to give them a real shot but they're...daunting.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I've read Marz's GL (good, including the Winick stuff, but the last dozen issues or so kinda sucked comparitively,) Grell's GA (solid) and Waid's Flash (incredible, totally worth the heaps of praise) but I'll add the rest to the list. I don't know how I missed Ostrander doing a Firestorm run, I'm not interested in the character but he hasn't missed for me yet so I'll have to see if he changes my mind.

Are either of those Legion recs good places to start in general for them? I've always wanted to give them a real shot but they're...daunting.

5YL Legion? Probably not. Post-Zero Hour Legion on the other hand? Absolutely. They were meant to be jumping on points after the previous team and its history was erased.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022

Waid's Flash and Morrison's JLA are both great runs (but maybe they are on the later side of the 90s)
Batman's books from that era are also interesting, despite the gritty 90s flair to the runs of the time. Alan Grant was a great writer.
And I don't know whether you would consider it for reading, but Hellblazer was also very good. Both Jamie Delano's and Garth Ennis' runs.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
Is no one reading Brave and the Bold? Tom King should never be allowed to write Batman again lmao.
Why, friend?
I have mostly enjoyed his Batman run + later limited series, even if I think his run has too many ups and downs all along and his approach is a little bit insular in the sense that there is a strong Elseworlds feel to it (well, to all of his superheroes works actually, even that DC line event he did and I forgot the name).

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
King has grown a lot as a writer since his Batman on going. Gotham Year One might be one of the best books he's written. So like the cool kids say, let him bake!

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So this sorta related but in a comic server I blocked a mod cuz they were being a jerk and it came to the point that it was decided the mod should only interact with me regarding moderation content. I noticed they are asking people to repeat/copy what they say so I can see for unrelated stuff such as discussions
TBH am I wrong to find this weird? Like why do I need to see what they say?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Why, friend?
I have mostly enjoyed his Batman run + later limited series, even if I think his run has too many ups and downs all along and his approach is a little bit insular in the sense that there is a strong Elseworlds feel to it (well, to all of his superheroes works actually, even that DC line event he did and I forgot the name).

King has his moments (Superwoman is quite good) but I've never been high on him. He always approaches characters as if he's only read about their adventures through a wikipedia page or something, so they feel off.

That's got nothing to do with my criticism here, though. Having to read a book where Batman (massive Brave and the Bold #2 spoilers) attacks the Joker after the Joker's been shot several times point blank in the chest is one thing. Then the Joker jumps out of a third story window, survives perfectly fine. Batman tries to do the same thing, somehow gets considerably more injured. The Joker then steals a car by slitting a guy's throat--all while bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds--and gets away. But not before Batman tries to catch the car, the Joker ragdolls him around, then gets out, kicks the shit out of him, and dumps him over a bridge.

I just....I read that story at 5AM this morning and had to try not to scream "WHAT" at my computer screen. Is Batman fighting Joker or fucking Green Goblin? How was ANY of this possible.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
King has his moments (Superwoman is quite good) but I've never been high on him. He always approaches characters as if he's only read about their adventures through a wikipedia page or something, so they feel off.

That's got nothing to do with my criticism here, though. Having to read a book where Batman (massive Brave and the Bold #2 spoilers) attacks the Joker after the Joker's been shot several times point blank in the chest is one thing. Then the Joker jumps out of a third story window, survives perfectly fine. Batman tries to do the same thing, somehow gets considerably more injured. The Joker then steals a car by slitting a guy's throat--all while bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds--and gets away. But not before Batman tries to catch the car, the Joker ragdolls him around, then gets out, kicks the shit out of him, and dumps him over a bridge.

I just....I read that story at 5AM this morning and had to try not to scream "WHAT" at my computer screen. Is Batman fighting Joker or fucking Green Goblin? How was ANY of this possible.
Not defending, this is silly AF, but I thought this was a retelling of their first encounter?
(Are you reading the stormwatch stuff?)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Not defending, this is silly AF, but I thought this was a retelling of their first encounter?
(Are you reading the stormwatch stuff?)

So I learned that today and decided I'd check out Batman #1. It's "roughly" the same story, but King's makes several changes to make the Joker seem superhuman and Bruce seem utterly incompetent.

I liked all the other stories, Stormwatch included. The Superman story is definitely the best, IMO.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I've listened to a lot of King podcasts over the years and you're right. He tends to write about a theme/topic of interest to him and then meld that with the character he's assigned (to the point where he's fine with DC giving him a character directly). I think that in many cases that works (obviously he's had a ton of success in terms of sales/Eisners, etc...), but I think you're right that it sometimes means character beats that seem out of character for them. I'd say Mister Miracle, as much as I enjoyed it, fits that category as well.
With that said, King is very into old comics although he grew up as an almost exclusive Marvel fan. His main interest in older comics is artists, but he still knows a lot about the history of characters and spends time researching them (he read basically all of the Adam Strange stuff before Strange Adventures, for example).

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me, or does it really feel like they're setting Insomnia up in Knight Terrors to actually be

The Corinthian
?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Comics era, I need your brain power. I'm trying to remember a graphic novel big omnibus I flipped through many years ago. It was about a man that was a bit of a vagabond and he had a relationship with this woman in one town and I'm pretty sure she had kids. It was scifi-ish with a lot of mysticism and there was a lot of "adult" content. It was written by a woman and it might have been a Web comic idk. What I remember specifically from the foreword is that it was a big cult hit and it had pages and pages of lore and worldbuilding.

Edit
Yo nvm I figured it out!
www.goodreads.com

Finder Library Volume 1

"Completely fascinating." - Warren Ellis (Transmetropol…

Last edited:

AhhBisto

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 30, 2023
UK
Bought the Knight Terrors Joker issue based solely on the cover and I don't regret a thing. I love that his nightmare is to have a
9-5 office job where everyone finds him genuinely funny

And the bit with Batman at the start is like a dumb web comic kind of joke but it weirdly works in context of what is going on too.

May 24, 2019
Bought the Knight Terrors Joker issue based solely on the cover and I don't regret a thing. I love that his nightmare is to have a
9-5 office job where everyone finds him genuinely funny

And the bit with Batman at the start is like a dumb web comic kind of joke but it weirdly works in context of what is going on too.
I hope this whole event is just goofs and nobody takes it too seriously.
It could be a fun couple months that way.

May 24, 2019
I hope at least a few more are like the Joker issue because horror as a genre doesn't interest me too much. The goofs and gaffs definitely help.
I'm not gonna be able to read em for six months on the DC app, but I usually enjoy DC's halloween anthology specials, and if it's an extended version of that, I could be into KT.

Status
Not open for further replies.