• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what they even do for future villains in the MCU. They are finally promoting Cap 4, but it sounds like the movie went through some drastic changes and is now more of a grounded conspiracy thriller. Going for that Winter Soldier feel, but with a red Hulk lol.

They should build up the different corners of the MCU again, with the Dark Avengers, Young Avengers, Mutants, and Fantastic Four/off world stuff. Forget Secret Wars and the multiverse for a bit longer.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
I love how BC made an "article" about what some idiot on twitter not even in comics, than notices its a thinly veiled attack on King and just posts it anyway

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up my books yesterday and finally getting some reading in.

Transformers is still really, really good. I was worried about losing DWJ on art when it was first announced, but Jorge Corona picks it right up without even losing a beat - still a gorgeous book, and I still can't wait to see where we go from here. Love getting some good focus on Soundwave for a bit, and it'll be nice to see the Decepticon POV shift more to him for now.

As much as I've enjoyed Hulk so far, I think these couple Frozen Charlotte issues haven't been very good - maybe if it had been condensed into one, but its felt really dragged out. I don't think I necessarily agree that I want major movement in some greater plot but I hope it moves a little quicker from here on. I'm excited to see Voodoo next issue.

I'm still liking Iron Man more than I think a lot of people have been - even if this week felt more like padding than anything else. Considering how high the stakes were going into this, an issue that's like 70% Tony's internal monologue feels like it really messes with the pacing. I guess they probably need to slow it down an issue to keep at a certain pace with the X-Men books I'm not reading?

Amazing Spider-Man is fucking awful, but no surprise there. The way Wells has decided to turn Hallow's Eve into Ben's shitty evil sidekick, gleefully torturing people instead of the anti-hero she had previously been set up to be just because he hates women or whatever his problem is feels awful. Everything about how Ben is depicted is still awful too. The nicest thing I can say about it is at least JRJR's art is contained to just the cover this issue.

Edge of Spider-Verse was a lot more fun at least. Star-Spider is a neat new Spider and I'd absolutely be down to read a whole mini dedicated to her. Web Weaver continues to be one of the better Spiders introduced in the last round or 2 of these books. I appreciate that they seem to have dropped the angle of some larger story going on - I don't need another big, dumb Spider-Verse crossover every five issues, I'm perfectly content to have Edge as a self-contained anthology series. I'd rather it just being an ongoing than restarting every year as a 5 issue mini but what can you do?

Ultimate X-Men is still interesting but I don't know if I'm in it for the long haul. I like this version of Storm a lot more than the one we met in Ultimate Black Panther, at least based solely on first impressions - but I also don't like Storm very much and this is a pretty fresh take while that one just seems more like the classic character put into a new environment. The art is great of course, and like everyone else says, it really just feels like a manga which is neat. There's something about it that just isn't all the way grabbing me yet, but I like enough individual elements to keep at it for now.

Overall pretty good week as long as I ignore ASM

Oct 8, 2019
I love how BC made an "article" about what some idiot on twitter not even in comics, than notices its a thinly veiled attack on King and just posts it anyway

Its not even the marvel method which was when Stan Lee would write a one or two page summary of the story, and then they would hash it out as the artist basically wrote the story. Stan Lee would than come back and write the dialogue. That's why co creation is so controversial with Stan Lee because how much of Spider-man was Steve Ditko, and how much of Thor was Jack Kirby is an actual conversation.

Stan Lee just called how he wrote stories "the Marvel Method" because its Stan Lee so of course he would equate himself with Marvel as a whole.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://x.com/GailSimone/status/1779208632019857896

Simone trying to get people talking about the upcoming X-Men books.

But sadly this is what X is now:

View: https://x.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1779213623803748807

It's definitely not that serious, these characters aren't real. Even if it *were* that serious, Tom hasn't really done anything to ruin a specific character. What's wrong with y'all.

Nothing but the best reporting.
Some random jackass on the street says stupid things, news at 11.

Every site does this now. Popular twitter posts have turned into news.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I don't get the Tom Taylor hate. Nightwing isn't amazing but it's a fun book and I read it for a while before I got bored of the story going nowhere.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Taylor is the most inoffensive writer in comics - his books are all fluff where literally nothing happens that just kind of glide through your pre-existing appreciation for the character. I genuinely don't understand what would prompt people to start burning effigies of him.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
My favourite Tom Taylor comic is his Rose and Thorn oneshot from the New 52. Really cool take on the characters and I fidn the only one that isn't fucking weird (love Simone's mini but it has crazy ideas about DID, though I liked that Rose had more headmates, Bendis should never be allowed to write plural characters ever fuck his writing of them in Superman and in Legion of Super Heroes, as well as his Moon Knight run.)
but yeah there are so many other comic writers people could get mad at why bother with Tom Taylor if you got to get mad

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I completely missed the Brainiac event started this week in Action Comics 1064. The Rafa Sandoval art alone is enough to sell me, but its a good start for a Superman event so far. Like that Williamson's Action Comics just feels like PKJ's. The Super family is in a good place right now imo. Looks like the event is going to be in both Superman books though.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like Tom Taylor. He's likely never going to write a genuine masterpiece, but he's consistently good and does a very good job with alternate universe comics (DCeased, Dark Knights of Steel).
What has he done that has pissed off the ignorant trash-heap rabble on Twitter?

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
My favourite Tom Taylor comic is his Rose and Thorn oneshot from the New 52. Really cool take on the characters and I fidn the only one that isn't fucking weird (love Simone's mini but it has crazy ideas about DID, though I liked that Rose had more headmates, Bendis should never be allowed to write plural characters ever fuck his writing of them in Superman and in Legion of Super Heroes, as well as his Moon Knight run.)
but yeah there are so many other comic writers people could get mad at why bother with Tom Taylor if you got to get mad
Thanks for reminding me of that. I never got to read it. Might as well do so.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Krakoa and it's introduction with hox/pox whole story and later secrets were the only reason I Even got back into X-Men so I'm really sad it's being nixed again, even when I list interest again after Hickman was done. I assume X-Men can die-die again then? Also I'm assuming the whole exponential Star Trek beaming issue of "does a person really die when revived" doesn't really come up in later krakoa issues?

future sound

Sep 16, 2022
Wonder what they even do for future villains in the MCU. They are finally promoting Cap 4, but it sounds like the movie went through some drastic changes and is now more of a grounded conspiracy thriller. Going for that Winter Soldier feel, but with a red Hulk lol.

They should build up the different corners of the MCU again, with the Dark Avengers, Young Avengers, Mutants, and Fantastic Four/off world stuff. Forget Secret Wars and the multiverse for a bit longer.

I read the EW preview on Cap 4, sounds promising. The casting and character selection sounds great to me, makes it seem more distinct from Falcon & Winter Soldier. I'm starting to feel excited about the upcoming movies again, which is a nice change from the sense of being overwhelmed that was present until I stopped watching the shows...although I know I may be lost going into certain movies. I think I preferred it when the MCU was just a few movies a year with no tv component.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone reading anything good?

I read the EW preview on Cap 4, sounds promising. The casting and character selection sounds great to me, makes it seem more distinct from Falcon & Winter Soldier. I'm starting to feel excited about the upcoming movies again, which is a nice change from the sense of being overwhelmed that was present until I stopped watching the shows...although I know I may be lost going into certain movies. I think I preferred it when the MCU was just a few movies a year with no tv component.
It was sounding good until I heard what was shown at Cinemacon. Now it just sounds like a repeat of Captain America Winter Soldier, but for Sam.

I think they are on a much better path now, but im not expecting anything really stand out until hopefully Fantastic Four.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya

It was sounding good until I heard what was shown at Cinemacon. Now it just sounds like a repeat of Captain America Winter Soldier, but for Sam.

I think they are on a much better path now, but im not expecting anything really stand out until hopefully Fantastic Four.

Did a re-read of most Thunderbolts runs recently and there's some pretty good stuff. The 2016(?) one led by bucky is probably my second favourite after the original run

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
Tom Taylor is the most inoffensive writer in comics - his books are all fluff where literally nothing happens that just kind of glide through your pre-existing appreciation for the character. I genuinely don't understand what would prompt people to start burning effigies of him.
Comicsgate, anti-wokeness and stuff
Tom Taylor is just telling good stories with things that are clearly important to him, but those alt right anti-woke BSers are clearly offended by anything. Even Bite-wing probably bothers those guys

I have finished reading the first volume of the Blue Book. Nothing much, but it's an interesting (and quick) read if you are into UFOs/ UAPs or Oeming's AW like I am

future sound

Sep 16, 2022

Not a Deadpool fan, I take it? I have high hopes for that one.

As for reading, I'm working through The Last Ronin for the first time. Took me long enough to get to it.

Feb 16, 2022
Forget Secret Wars and the multiverse for a bit longer.
They know they're racing againts the clock, tbh. There's just no way to do comics stuff in a consistent universe in the long term since actors age out of roles. They're trying to do Secret Wars ASAP since they want to bring back as many as they could. It's the "We can't adapt live action Batman from the start with Dick Grayson to Damian Wayne one by one" problem amplified. Gunn's new DCU is trying to mitigate/work around this problem by starting off with an established history.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Dark Horse stuff was top-tier

Even the more recent Marvel stuff was mostly pretty good. The stories written by Zub especially. It is amusing that Titan Comics just continued with Zub writing after getting the license.

Someone continuing to write a licensed title after they switch publishers? How often does that happen? 😜

(But the Dark Horse run was absolutely top tier. Particularly when Busiek was writing.)

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Bleeding Cool, but they have a story about Scott Snyder launching a DC version of the Ultimate line called Absolute Comics. I don't really like Scott Snyder's work anymore, but it could yield a few interesting comics at least. I'll certainly be curious to hear about the creative teams.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Been reading the Soule Star Wars, set after Empire Strikes Back. Almost finished with the War of the Bounty Hunters "event", which is really an introduction of the Crimson Dawn and Qi-ra from the Solo movie. Its the first of a trilogy of Crimson Dawn stories.

Fuck Bleeding Cool, but they have a story about Scott Snyder launching a DC version of the Ultimate line called Absolute Comics. I don't really like Scott Snyder's work anymore, but it could yield a few interesting comics at least. I'll certainly be curious to hear about the creative teams.
Hopefully Scott Snyder has improved after taking a long hiatus from DC comics. I havent read a single one of their CMX original books and it didnt seem like any of them really took off.

I just dont even know if DC needs an "Absolute Comics" imprint at this point. They are in such a good place and it feels like they are trying to build to something big with Waller.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been reading the Soule Star Wars, set after Empire Strikes Back. Almost finished with the War of the Bounty Hunters "event", which is really an introduction of the Crimson Dawn and Qi-ra from the Solo movie. Its the first of a trilogy of Crimson Dawn stories.

Hopefully Scott Snyder has improved after taking a long hiatus from DC comics. I havent read a single one of their CMX original books and it didnt seem like any of them really took off.

I just dont even know if DC needs an "Absolute Comics" imprint at this point. They are in such a good place and it feels like they are trying to build to something big with Waller.
It describes it as being a not tied to current continuity option for top-tier creators. With Black Label I'm not sure how it's all that different, however. I guess the Absolute line will have its own internal continuity, perhaps. I'd personally like to see more Elseworlds by good creators. I guess Dark Knights of Steel is that in all but name, but I'd like to see more of that.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'd rather they just did more Elseworlds stuff and Black Label. The only reason to do an Absolute line would be to develop a new continuity, where all the books were tied to some sort of new status quo, like Hickman's Ultimates. But DC doesn't need that until they get their normal comics line sorted. Let's see what Absolute Power brings to the table.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like DC has a pretty poor track record with "Ultimate" style alternate universes, but Snyder is a decent writer and, just as importantly, seems to have a good relationship with a lot of talented people, so maybe he can break the pattern.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't understand the value of an Ultimate style imprint when you keep rebooting the status of your own continuity every other event as it is anyway, and you already have a strong alternate universe branded imprint. I liked Snyder's Batman and JL well enough, so I'm down to read stuff from him that's more divorced from whatever current continuity is, at least.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Because shippers are pissed he has Dick with Barbara instead of Kory, and people are desperately trying to push a "Tom Taylor is Ableist" narrative because he won't make Barbara paralyzed again. The status quo DC has stuck with for 13 years now.

A lot of this shit Tom Taylor gets harrassed over is fucking unhinged and I think what bothers me most is when these people get called on their abusive shit they almost verbatim will fall back to the stock gamer/comicgate line of defense which is just extra insane.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think where the Earth One initiative fell apart is that it was too narrowly focused on the main characters of the standard DC line. Some of the books were fairly good, I thought, particularly Morrison's WW, but it seemed like a missed chance to explore characters that aren't already heavily featured.

Because shippers are pissed he has Dick with Barbara instead of Kory, and people are desperately trying to push a "Tom Taylor is Ableist" narrative because he won't make Barbara paralyzed again. The status quo DC has stuck with for 13 years now.
I agree that Babs in the wheelchair as Oracle and remaining a good fighter > Babs back as the OG Batgirl when there are multiple other viable Batgirls and no other viable Oracle. With that said, it's absolutely ludicrous to put that on Tom Taylor as he doesn't have that sort of power to make that happen even if he wanted to. Also, while I preferred her in the chair I don't think that it makes sense to put her back in the chair once they restored her back. It's not something to keep waffling back and forth on, IMO.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I read through Ghost Fleet: The Whole Goddamned Thing TP yesterday. It was good stuff! A fun, breezy read that lacked in character development of some of the female characters. But it made up for it in the action and fun colors.

It's crazy to think that it was DWJ's first professional comic book run before he blew up. It did feel rushed in places as it was originally supposed to be a 12 issue run. But even in this early work, it's good to see how it informed DWJ's later works/ commissions. Especially knowing that his art work goes for thousands of dollars by today's standards. A lot of the panels had the sense of dynamism that DWJ is known for even if it looks rough in places. I feel like DWJ and Andrew MacLean have similar styles.

I also recently ordered the first three volumes of Batman/Superman: World's Finest during Target's B2G1 Free sale to throw on my backlog. I'm looking forward to reading it at some point. It's a shame the first volume is paperback though. 😕