• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Fans getting upset when things resort to the status quo will never make sense to me. The vast majority of fans have been reading for a long time, so you'd think that by now they'd know that's just how the game works at the big two. You don't have characters last many decades without resetting them from time to time.

After a while you have to reset characters, there's just no other option if you want to keep your faves. I wish Claremont had his way way back when, but he didn't.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
I think that Immortal X-Men and X-Men Red were better than the previous Krakoa Era except for House of X/Power of X. I'm sad to see Krakoa go. I won't be reading Gail Simone's run while it's coming out because comics are expensive and I'd rather read something else than run-of-the-mill X-Men but I hope it's great.
I strongly disagree about X-Men Red. It's got some great issues, however its last year was weak and generic imo. But before SoS it really was a great book (the same can be said for SWORD, which I think was the most overlooked Krakoa book)

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
I actively hate the X-Men so my opinion's not worth much, but Krakoa just seemed like Genosha and Utopia again, but with a creepier angle to it. I don't think the nation itself had to go away, any more than I think Mutant Town had to, or Genosha needed to be genocided or... whatever the hell it was that made them abandon Utopia happened- having an independent mutant nation is an idea that they keep going back to because it's a neat idea.

Going all the way back to basics seems a little underwhelming, but as long as it feels like its a continuation of what came before instead of feeling like a weird reboot, it should be fine - and with Simone and MacKay behind the wheel I'm sure it'll be fine.
Depends on what going back to basics means. I feel X-Men needs to revisit the prejudice angle, as it's has not been explored properly for a long time. Even if it was a thing in early Krakoa era, it's mostly been sidelined in the current books. It's quite hard to have the mutants as a metaphor for that if they live in a offworld paradise

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Question about the new Hellblazer series.

Is it the "real" John Constantine or the one that started with the New 52?

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Damn you Wilson for introducing characters I'm interested in. First with Bella and now with unnamed Arkham Asylum prisoner. Lesser artists would have tied her with Harley immediately, but Wilson has that knack for making you fall into that cast of characters in a way only the likes of Kurt Busiek can achieve. Count it as a successful origin story. Though looking at her first comic appearance I wouldn't mind if she could have found a way to implement Dragon Fly, Silken Spider and Tiger Moth into the equation.

The new writer for Shazam did a pretty good job at things at reintroduced the characters. The family seems to be implemented more evenly here with the simple shenanigans that happened this issue. Thay said, we're beginning to see a new element with Billy's interaction with his alter ego, perhaps a consequence of his increases Wisdom of Solomon powers. If we get characters like the nymph the book will be in good hands.

Blue Beetle has a bit of a table setting issue restsblishing the state of the cast. I'm a bit worried with leaning Victoria Kord towards a villain role, butc those concerns were lessened by the end of the issue. We also have an understandable departure from the group.

Birds of Prey was basically fanservice: the issue leaning more of the female gaze. As expected things go awry and Barbs is caught in the crossfire. At least we'll likely get our answers next issue.

She-Hulk gives us some classic love triangle shenanigans (thanks to Scarlet Witch taking the character out of the dustbin more comics should do this). It has a good number of deep cuts including an old foe). Nothing too special here.

Usagi gives us a new arc involving some old friends and the kind of differences LG samurai could have in certain situations. It has the potential of being something bigger with the potential nature of the crow. It will be some good character development for the apprentice.

List:
Fantastic Four #19 (hopefully a nod to the Invisible Woman miniseries)
Transformers #7
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Return #3

notoracle

Aug 24, 2023
I liked some fan service in the Birds of Prey issue, but I'm too much of a lesbian to be unbiased here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what going back to basics means. I feel X-Men needs to revisit the prejudice angle, as it's has not been explored properly for a long time. Even if it was a thing in early Krakoa era, it's mostly been sidelined in the current books. It's quite hard to have the mutants as a metaphor for that if they live in a offworld paradise

DOES IT? 'Cause like, most of the time they were on that island they were at war with a human supremacist group. Who eventually won, by the way.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Question about the new Hellblazer series.

Is it the "real" John Constantine or the one that started with the New 52?

I'm hedging my bets because it's been a minute since I read the original series this follows up on, but I wanna say it's the original. At least as close as could exist at this point? It's not the New 52 one though.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Fans getting upset when things resort to the status quo will never make sense to me. The vast majority of fans have been reading for a long time, so you'd think that by now they'd know that's just how the game works at the big two. You don't have characters last many decades without resetting them from time to time.
For me I don't get why people get mad at crazy stuff happening(like Doc Ock having Peter's body, Hydra Cap) Maybe if it's your first time experiencing it sure. But at a certain point reading comics it should just be known stuff will always reset back to the status quo.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me I don't get why people get mad at crazy stuff happening(like Doc Ock having Peter's body, Hydra Cap) Maybe if it's your first time experiencing it sure. But at a certain point reading comics it should just be known stuff will always reset back to the status quo.
Yeah, that is silly as well. It's the flip side of the coin. Hate a change? Give it a few years or a decade and it'll likely be reverted.

Woland

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly disagree about X-Men Red. It's got some great issues, however its last year was weak and generic imo. But before SoS it really was a great book (the same can be said for SWORD, which I think was the most overlooked Krakoa book)

I can see your point. But for me the dynamic between the Arakkii and Storm was a pleasure from beginning to end.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
DOES IT? 'Cause like, most of the time they were on that island they were at war with a human supremacist group. Who eventually won, by the way.
A comedic bound group with folks like modok and that other sinister guy. That's not a depiction of prejudice at all, it's mostly a bad and silly joke. Prejudice is something you feel on daily things, not because a giant head has a Monster of the week plan onto you. The Idea of having this type of metaphor on a book is to have something to relate with, and this simply won't happen here.
Even the Krakoan angle is problematic imo. Feels like the only solution to prejudice is to moving to an isolated Island.

I can see your point. But for me the dynamic between the Arakkii and Storm was a pleasure from beginning to end.

And I can also see your point. That last year or so didn't do anything to me though. The genesis conflict in particular, as it felt somewhat undercooked at an execution level

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy Adams has done it, he's taken a Hal book based on the tropiest GL plot possible and used it to bring back all the Earth Lanterns, fucking Razer from GLTAS, and tell a rad as hell story. This book is cooking like it hasn't in ages.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy Adams has done it, he's taken a Hal book based on the tropiest GL plot possible and used it to bring back all the Earth Lanterns, fucking Razer from GLTAS, and tell a rad as hell story. This book is cooking like it hasn't in ages.
I'm so far behind on what I'm reading but this makes me want to add another book. I haven't enjoyed a new GL book since Jessica Cruz was dealing with her phobias or Jo Mullein was solving a mystery.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I stopped Green Lantern after 2 issues, but after previewing this weeks I need to return to it

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But with Tini. She controls that level of Gotham right now.
What's frustrating is that I'd usually be interested in the characters she's writing, and Tini isn't terrible, but she's not really good enough either for me to add to an already growing backlog. I've been reading only about 3-4 comics a week and have a massive backlog already. Adding mid issues of Catwoman or Harley Quinn when they've both had very good runs not too long ago just isn't on my list of things to do.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so far behind on what I'm reading but this makes me want to add another book. I haven't enjoyed a new GL book since Jessica Cruz was dealing with her phobias or Jo Mullein was solving a mystery.

They're both back and pretty integral to the plot.

Yea I stopped Green Lantern after 2 issues, but after previewing this weeks I need to return to it

I think a lot of people did because it went away for two months because of whatever last years shitty summer event was.

What's a good jumping on point for Green Lantern?

For the current run? Just start with issue 1 from last year by Jeremy Adams and go. Generally? Read Far Sector, it's a standalone 12 issue series by NK Jemisin and Jamal Campbell. It's a great story and you don't have to worry about tie ins or crossovers or anything.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
What's frustrating is that I'd usually be interested in the characters she's writing, and Tini isn't terrible, but she's not really good enough either for me to add to an already growing backlog. I've been reading only about 3-4 comics a week and have a massive backlog already. Adding mid issues of Catwoman or Harley Quinn when they've both had very good runs not too long ago just isn't on my list of things to do.
Same here. Her books are fine, but i don't really have the time and will to read so many books, I just have to prioritize

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
New Spawn book is out today called Rat City!

www.ign.com

Spawn: Rat City Takes the Franchise Into a Cyberpunk Future | IGN Fan Fest 2024 - IGN

The Spawn franchise is headed into a cyberpunk future with the new series Rat City. Check out our exclusive art reveal and interview with writer Erica Schultz.

rat-city-1-8f205be65d-1708633373528.jpg

SpiralEngine

Jul 6, 2023
The Comics Journal put out a nice tribute to Mark Bright that I think is worth a read.

View: https://twitter.com/ComicsJournal/status/1778048437620977674

Also, this dude had Christian-themed webcomic? That's crazy. It's always sad when people pass away, and then you find out something they did might be lost media. Makes it feel like that stuff might just be gone for good, which feels weird when that material is still relatively recent.

Also, I'm not one for buying issues of The Comics Journal, but I might actually make an exception this time, and preorder this issue just for this feature. I'd love to read about the inside workings at Marvel during this time.

View: https://twitter.com/zachrabiroff/status/1777347238382973154

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
New Spawn book is out today called Rat City!

www.ign.com

Spawn: Rat City Takes the Franchise Into a Cyberpunk Future | IGN Fan Fest 2024 - IGN

The Spawn franchise is headed into a cyberpunk future with the new series Rat City. Check out our exclusive art reveal and interview with writer Erica Schultz.

rat-city-1-8f205be65d-1708633373528.jpg

Wanted to maybe check that one out but they were sold out at the two stores I ended up stopping at today. Wasn't on my list but it looked like it could be interesting.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to maybe check that one out but they were sold out at the two stores I ended up stopping at today. Wasn't on my list but it looked like it could be interesting.
So far its just a cyberpunk Spawn story. I havent read any of the Spawn stuff since the big push around issue #350, but apparently this is another one of the new books that was spun out of that story. Biggest selling point for me was McFarlane wasnt writing or drawing lol. I have no idea who the writer is, but the art is really good. It is a bit graphic though, in a very 90s Image sort of way.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So far its just a cyberpunk Spawn story. I havent read any of the Spawn stuff since the big push around issue #350, but apparently this is another one of the new books that was spun out of that story. Biggest selling point for me was McFarlane wasnt writing or drawing lol. I have no idea who the writer is, but the art is really good. It is a bit graphic though, in a very 90s Image sort of way.

That all actually sells me on it even more. I think I've always liked the idea of Spawn more than the actual comic itself.

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
Krakoa into this new era will be my first major status quo reset since getting into comics, so that may make it hit far harder for me than it would if I was more used to this. But I loved the Krakoa status quo, so as much talent is behind this new era, I struggle to be excited for it.

In the complete opposite direction, Ultimate X-Men is the strangest book I've ever encountered. It's very good so far, but I am boring and would have liked a slightly more traditional set up in this new world.