• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Examples provided were someone who needed a hearing aid assuming nightwing was gonna attack him because he didn't have his aid, and the superhero Risk being introduced and then killed in the next page to set up the new villains in an arc, which seemed to be the only other disabled characters up until that point in the run. Would love to be wrong though
If a reasonable person takes offense, then TT should do better. If a hate mob is willfully looking at a panel presented out of context (the hearing aid one) and choosing to be offended because that's their desired outcome then that's on them. Either way, I'm sure a reasoned conversation would be more productive than burning effigies.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
If a reasonable person takes offense, then TT should do better. If a hate mob is willfully looking at a panel presented out of context (the hearing aid one) and choosing to be offended because that's their desired outcome then that's on them. Either way, I'm sure a reasoned conversation would be more productive than burning effigies.
Again at no point am i talking about those people, but the rest of the people who, from what i saw, have been talking about this for two years now and are always lumped with the angry shippers or the people burning pictures because they're the louder ones

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Examples provided were someone who needed a hearing aid assuming nightwing was gonna attack him because he didn't have his aid, and the superhero Risk being introduced and then killed in the next page to set up the new villains in an arc, which seemed to be the only other disabled characters up until that point in the run. Would love to be wrong though

I guess my question here is, "Is Tom Taylor specifically just the worst?" or is it just that Tom is already being targeted and people are using legitimate claims that could be levied at other writers as well but simply aren't?

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I guess my question here is, "Is Tom Taylor specifically just the worst?" or is it just that Tom is already being targeted and people are using legitimate claims that could be levied at other writers as well but simply aren't?
He just seems to have some shortcomings in a specific area where he could learn to be better. If other authors also have them then that's a different topic i think

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the nitpicking for well intentioned, but occasionally imperfect, representation of under represented groups is ultimately counterproductive as it'll just scare people off from trying knowing that they'll take shit from all sides. Reasoned discussion about it, sure. Even the stuff from 2 or 3 years ago just launches into it with (Taylor is an ableist... here is misinterpreted and missing context proof).

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
If Tom King's Wonder Woman hadnt upset the crazies enough, today's issue #8 should lol. Man this book is weird.

Superman was good, but its still early days for this event.

Finished Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters. Basically a super long event about how Han's body ended up in Jabba's hands for Return of the Jedi, while also introducing his ex-gf from the Solo movie and her Crimson Dawn gang. I hope the second event, Crimson Reign, is a little bit better.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
He just seems to have some shortcomings in a specific area where he could learn to be better. If other authors also have them then that's a different topic i think

Hopefully he learns to improve, but I do think its worth noticing when people are weaponizing legitimate complaints just to cause issues for an author they don't like, and that's why I brought up the other writers.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully he learns to improve, but I do think its worth noticing when people are weaponizing legitimate complaints just to cause issues for an author they don't like, and that's why I brought up the other writers.
Like the script detail complainer who ended his misguided rant with derp derp war crimes. It's pathetic. Fuck the clowns on Twitter. It's sad that creators kind of have to expose themselves to the trash fandom because marketing for books is basically just "but it because you like the creators" which means the creators need to maintain a high profile to some extent.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
aiptcomics.com

Marvel to kill the 2099 universe in July 2024

ANNIHILATION MARKS THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF MARVEL 2099!

Annihilation2099-Teaser-min.jpg

They are finally killing off the 2099 universe. Time for Absolute 2099.

notoracle

Aug 24, 2023
I think the nitpicking for well intentioned, but occasionally imperfect, representation of under represented groups is ultimately counterproductive as it'll just scare people off from trying knowing that they'll take shit from all sides. Reasoned discussion about it, sure. Even the stuff from 2 or 3 years ago just launches into it with (Taylor is an ableist... here is misinterpreted and missing context proof).

Even if he has good intentions, they can be harmful. All you can do is learn, and not call these marginalized groups complaints "nitpicking" because of some small sector of assholes online.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if he has good intentions, they can be harmful. All you can do is learn, and not call these marginalized groups complaints "nitpicking" because of some small sector of assholes online.
Yup, as I said. Reasoned discussion about it, sure.
That's not what spawned the discussion however and some of the haymakers people led with 2 or 3 years ago were also over the top, IMO.

notoracle

Aug 24, 2023
Yup, as I said. Reasoned discussion about it, sure.
That's not what spawned the discussion however and some of the haymakers people led with 2 or 3 years ago were also over the top, IMO.
Fair.
I hope that Tom has shown a desire to improve and learn from the disabled folks who are criticizing him. The disabled comic readers I follow have expressed their disappointed with him, so there are some out there who are genuinely annoyed.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, fair, i hear you on that. What i wanted to get at initially was that there did seem to be legitimate complaints towards his writing, not all of them coming from the hateful part of the fandom. It's easy to dismiss complaints towards a creator as nonsense when said creator has generally done a good job on similar aspects, but they can still stumble.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
God this Tynion Justice League Dark Rebirth omni is a big boy.

Collects Justice League Dark #1-29; Justice League Dark Annual #1; Justice League Dark 2021 Annual; Justice League Dark/Wonder Woman: The Witching Hour #1; Aquaman #66; Black Adam: Endless Winter Special #1; The Flash #767, #777-779; Justice League #58, #72-74; Justice League: Endless Winter #1-2; Superman: Endless Winter Special #1; Teen Titans: Endless Winter Special #1; Wonder Woman #56-57; Wonder Woman/Justice League Dark: The Witching Hour #1; and stories from Justice League #59-71, Future State: Justice League #1-2, and Secrets of Sinister House #1

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Ziglar's Miles run continues to deliver. Really hoping there are no issues over the fact that the internet ran wild taking his Kamala statement out of context.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
This 2099 universe is like 3 years old, but I'm all for killing it. It's been terrible and the original 2099 shouldn't have died for it.
Marvel killed the "real" 2099 universe like at least twice (once respectfully, once not). The Steve Orlando stuff has been fine and harmless, IMO. Much better than the weird Kirkman 2099 event.

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I think Ultimate Black Panther is the least interesting of these new UU titles. It's well written, there's not anything wrong with it really, but I just find it rather bland so far. I really want to see more from Storm and "Moon Knight" eventually.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I think Ultimate Black Panther is the least interesting of these new UU titles. It's well written, there's not anything wrong with it really, but I just find it rather bland so far. I really want to see more from Storm and "Moon Knight" eventually.

It is, but to be honest? Much like Ultimate Spider-Man, it's giving what hardcore BP fans really wanted for the past... Decade?

Like, I'm surprised by the vast amount of praise it's getting.

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
It is, but to be honest? Much like Ultimate Spider-Man, it's giving what hardcore BP fans really wanted for the past... Decade?

Like, I'm surprised by the vast amount of praise it's getting.
Ah I didn't realize that. I'm very unfamiliar with 616 Black Panther outside of Hickman's use of him in the lead up to Secret Wars. So it's cool his hardcore fans are into this.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel killed the "real" 2099 universe like at least twice (once respectfully, once not). The Steve Orlando stuff has been fine and harmless, IMO. Much better than the weird Kirkman 2099 event.

I'll grant that the original death of the 2099 universe should have just stuck. I thought its original ending was appropriate if a bit mean-spirited at times - it felt right for the finale of that imprint. Outside of Miguel showing up in some crossover things, I don't think any revisits to 2099 as an imprint has really been worthwhile - whether that's Kirkman's Marvel Knights stuff, the Timestorm thing or this most recent rebooted 2099 universe.

It just rubbed me the wrong way that this universe couldn't just be a "new 2099" like Timestorm or Kirkman's, but had to be a literal "we destroyed the original timeline and this new one took its place". It doesn't help that every issue just seems to be taking a pre-existing 616 character and remaking them in 2099, which the original imprint wisely did in much greater moderation. But the constant onslaught every issue of stuff like Winter Soldier 2099, Black Widow 2099, Norman Osborn and the 2099 Sinister Six, a 2099 Jameson that looks and acts just like JJJ, it's just a little to hacky for me, and not in the fun way the original was.

Edit: these solicits is exactly what I'm talking about. In this mini alone we're being introduced to new 2099 variants of Nova, Knull, Dracula, Lilith, Star-Lord, Quasar, a "Planet Wakanda", Red Hulk, Terrax, Ego, Silver Surfer, Mephisto and Darkhawk - and that's just the solicits alone for all of five issues. Granted a couple of them are just immortal beings that should still be around in the future, but this many in this short a run just feels lame to me.

Last edited:

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much have not ready any comics ever but Xmen 97 has gotten me very invested in Rogue and Gambit. What are some series involving them? I heard people say the Rogue and Gambit series from 2017 as well as Mr and Mrs X is good?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much have not ready any comics ever but Xmen 97 has gotten me very invested in Rogue and Gambit. What are some series involving them? I heard people say the Rogue and Gambit series from 2017 as well as Mr and Mrs X is good?
Yea those two are a great choice if your interested in their relationship. Read them in release order.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't spoken much about what I've been reading lately. I started going through my backlog of Brubaker (usually with Phillips) collections. Recently read Pulp by Brubaker/Phillips.

These are good comics.

future sound

Sep 16, 2022
I haven't spoken much about what I've been reading lately. I started going through my backlog of Brubaker (usually with Phillips) collections. Recently read Pulp by Brubaker/Phillips.

These are good comics.

Pulp is great! I found the story and execution to be even more poignant and impressive after reading about the real life event that inspired it, and how Brubaker kept the salient parts of a thing that happened to him and transformed it into the story that Pulp became. Hell of a writer!

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I've been enjoying it but issue 3 just felt so bland.

I understand the Ultimate books are more or less in real time but not seeing the initial interactions with Black Panther, Storm, and Killmonger and just having them be a month into their relationship leaves a bit more to be desired with me for character development.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
I'll grant that the original death of the 2099 universe should have just stuck. I thought its original ending was appropriate if a bit mean-spirited at times - it felt right for the finale of that imprint. Outside of Miguel showing up in some crossover things, I don't think any revisits to 2099 as an imprint has really been worthwhile - whether that's Kirkman's Marvel Knights stuff, the Timestorm thing or this most recent rebooted 2099 universe.

It just rubbed me the wrong way that this universe couldn't just be a "new 2099" like Timestorm or Kirkman's, but had to be a literal "we destroyed the original timeline and this new one took its place". It doesn't help that every issue just seems to be taking a pre-existing 616 character and remaking them in 2099, which the original imprint wisely did in much greater moderation. But the constant onslaught every issue of stuff like Winter Soldier 2099, Black Widow 2099, Norman Osborn and the 2099 Sinister Six, a 2099 Jameson that looks and acts just like JJJ, it's just a little to hacky for me, and not in the fun way the original was.

Edit: these solicits is exactly what I'm talking about. In this mini alone we're being introduced to new 2099 variants of Nova, Knull, Dracula, Lilith, Star-Lord, Quasar, a "Planet Wakanda", Red Hulk, Terrax, Ego, Silver Surfer, Mephisto and Darkhawk - and that's just the solicits alone for all of five issues. Granted a couple of them are just immortal beings that should still be around in the future, but this many in this short a run just feels lame to me.
I definitely agree what we don't need the 2099 versions of everyone... it gets a little much

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers Twilight #5 is good but I cant help but feel like it could have been much better if it was longer. Like a Tom King 12 issue limited series, rather than 6. This could have been a prestige like series with time to breathe life into the ideas the book covers. Could have been Marvel's Kingdom Come, but instead its just another Age of Ultron like story that will be forgotten in a year.

Fall of the House of X #5 is still just an endcap for the Krakoa era. Nothing of value is introduced or set up.

Helen of Wyndhorn#2 is the best book out this week imo, but still early days

ALXJ

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Feb 16, 2021
finally found this thread god is wise will be here when Saga returns (i am reading dawn of x as we speak, though, vol 6, liking more than I expected!)

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
finally found this thread god is wise will be here when Saga returns (i am reading dawn of x as we speak, though, vol 6, liking more than I expected!)

Welcome to our little community.

Excited for Sagas return soon. Should be announced for August or September based on what BKV has been saying.

ALXJ

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Feb 16, 2021
Welcome to our little community.

Excited for Sagas return soon. Should be announced for August or September based on what BKV has been saying.

I had a strong image comic year so far. really reconnected to comics with them. Started with invincible, read it all, then where the body was, public domain, it's lonely at the centre of the earth, gideon falls (finally finished it). Started Monstress but stopped to start x-men, the tv series got me hyped again. Ah!! Read a bunch of something is killing the children as well.

what are you reading?? what are you all reading? comics are cool

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023

"Ultimates v2.0" is funny to me since I assume they wouldn't know about the 1610 Ultimates, and they would technically be Ultimates v3.0 with the 616 team.

Still, extremely excited for this book, even more so than USM.

I do enjoy that means 2 actual years from now or 24 issues. Will there be some kind of Ultimate event in 2026?
Ultimate vs. Ultimate, 1610 and 6160 clash.